AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 3 7.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 30.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 20.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 15.38%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 10.26%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 5.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-15, 11:26   Link #61
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I'm pretty sure Faldio has become the main character of this anime now. Why. Just why. Welkin doesn't even have that many lines anymore. He just stands there with a dumb look on his face while Faldio wins the hearts and minds of everyone.
Other than this episode and MAYBE the last, I can't really agree with this sentiment. It's funny, because I sort of felt the same way about Welkin in the earlier episodes (i.e. people would underestimate his weird behavior, but then after he pulls off some amazing plan, people would sing his praises. and respect him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
But basically Faldio is that perfect guy now. He can do no wrong.
I don't that's the case. Faldio looks better than Welkin right now because things involving relationships and romance are clearly his territory. It's obvious from his behavior with Alicia that he isn't new when it comes to courting women. And his interaction with Isara shows that he is keen on matters of the heart.

In the past Welkin out shined Faldio when it came to making quick, tactical decisions. He is an expert of getting people out of a pinch, but this "love" stuff is foreign to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I think the staff tries a little too hard there. We are already past the half-mark of the series and Faldio really outshines Welkin and not just in the last episode, he in general looks more interesting and better developed character. Welkin doesn't look like the main character of the series. It would be fine if Faldio would really end up as the main. winning Alicia, but if not, and if Welkin just has one come-back but his character still looks inferior to Faldio, then I am going to say that script-writers screwed themselves all over, because right now it is much easier to root for Faldio than for Welkin, simply because Faldio's character has more focus through the bigger half this series and is more developed than Welkin.
Again, this has to do with the fact that Faldio excels at being a people person, and by extension is great with handling romantic relationships. He's already well aware of the fact that Alicia likes Welkin, and is simply tired of his friend's obliviousness; this is the reason he confessed his love for Alicia to him. It was a wake up call, not an act of viciousness. He wants Welkin to be more honest with his feelings. In the end, while he may be temporarily heart broken, I doubt he'd hold a grudge if Alicia and Welkin get together.
sikvod00 is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 17:33   Link #62
wangtang2k
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
What I think so far

I know Welkin appears to be like a useless character at this point but I can't really blame him entirely for not taking initiative as much as he used to.

The morale of his squad is down.
His best friend is putting the moves on a team-member who's more than just
average to him.
The annihilation of many of the Darcsens kept prisoners in Fouzen due to not
being able to concentrate on the mission (The whole relationship thing between
Alicia and Faldio has got him all tangled up). Faldio had to give orders (Though the order to attack was too brash in my opinion) and it caused all those casualties and Welkin most likely feels his lack of focus killed them.
He probably feels afraid to approach Alicia in a more intimate way because of what might happen if she gets hurt or worst during their battles against the empire.
Welkin and Faldio have been friends for a long time and for Welkin to come between Faldio's feeling for Alicia would seem as betraying him, after all, Welkin has interest in Alicia but can't really allow himself for those feelings to be too strong and get too close to her. His past memories (Of how his father kept on blaming himself as being solely responsible for Welkin's mother's death by not being able to protect her) are a huge factor of the way he thinks about Alicia.
Rosie's hate towards Darcsens also stresses Welkin out since Isara is his sister, though not biologically.
To top it all off, there's a war at hand and decisions need to be made quickly and there is absolutely no margin for error or it could cost lives at the end.

Wouldn't that mess with anyone's head in a situation like this? Not being able to think clearly is definitely a side-effect of liking someone while under unfavorable circumstances.
On another note, this Studio appears to be turning Valkyria Chronicles into one of those cheesy Japanese-dating-video-games.
Do you good folks think there might be more than 26 episodes planned for deployment? A second Season perhaps? It's all just speculation but I can't help but think that since thus far the anime's war plot is lacking a lot of detail, and yes I heard this anime's focusing more on the romance but we're past the middle and there's very little character-romance development between all plot-based relationships.
I can't wait for episode 16 though.
wangtang2k is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 18:31   Link #63
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
My homie!!!

Pinoy here too...
Damn it. another one from QC!

By the way I too do not believe that Faldio is going to be MC. The intro, the game box doesn't confirm what we currently see. Moreover I believe we have see the heigt of what Faldio desire but I think he will be dumped.

I believe that Alicia still believes in the "Guy who let other think he is dull".
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 20:08   Link #64
kalbron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
That'll probably be Episode 18 or so when Selvaria finally gets to strut her destructive stuff. Maybe.
kalbron is offline  
Old 2009-07-15, 21:24   Link #65
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Seemed like the concert was way too modern in the first part.
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline  
Old 2009-07-16, 00:27   Link #66
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Good grief are we talking about the episode or are we comparing Game Welkin to Anime Welkin?

For the record Welkin and Alicia were building up their romance.

However, Welkin has since faltered ever since Faldio's come in and cut his manhood down and can't think straight.

Faldio maybe going on the offensive but he'll never have the same type of relationship that she has with Welkin. The guy's literally throwing in a monkey wrentch into their relationship.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline  
Old 2009-07-16, 10:29   Link #67
Arturro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cracow
Age: 36
I haven't play the game, so my opinion about anime is based only on anime itself. I've read first vol. of manga, so I'll compare it with anime.

Main reason why I'm watching this anime is: 1) Isara, 2) world setting, 3) animation, 4)Selvaria + Jaeger.

Anime plot has lots of plot holes, without spoilers from gamers I wouldn't be able to understan what is happening, and, as many people complained - those love triangle thing looks like shojo manga about middle schoolers.
- Alicia distrusted Welkin till episode 6, then sudenly, without reason, in episode 7 starts to be friendly toward him, and in episode 10 tries to seduce Velkin. Still without reason.
- In episode 10 we see members of the squad waiting for missing Alicia and Velkin, risking theirs lives in enemy territory. Before we have seen that most of squad members doesn't trusted Velkin, nor had any warm feelings towards Alicia. Why their attitude changed? Again there is no reason.
- Velkin is supposed to be a military genius. Again without a reson, I haven't seen anything justifying it, his tactis was no better than expected from average trained sergeant in any modern army. Officers of Galia army are portrayed as total idiots, so maybe in Galian army not beeing a total idiot is enought to be know as military genius.
- Two of four main leaders of Alliance army infiltrating enemy capital. It's pure idiocy. But again it might justy Velkin as a military genius. He is just average but because all other leaders, in his or enemy army, are morons, so by comparison he is a genius.
- Lots of others mistakes and plot holes, like sniper in tank...

Faldio is only main character whose actions are more or less logical, and I coud understand why is he acting that way. I still dislike him, but at least he has personality, while other characters ale just an anime archetypes with a name.

On the other hand I didn't spot any major plot hole, Velkin maybe doesn't act like a military genius, but at least proved to be a competent tank commander and a unit leader, at the end of vol. 1 Alicia started to admire Velkin (admiration is a good step towards love). Also hatred towards Darkscenn IMHO is better shown in manga than in anime.
__________________
I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.

Arturro is offline  
Old 2009-07-16, 17:27   Link #68
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
This Faldio, Alicia and Welkin triangle could become quite messy. I actually cant blame Welkin for saying he and Alicia only have a superior and subordinate realtionship. After all look at the guy he has spent most of his time studying nature, animals and such and encase we havent noticed the guys oblivious to feelings for the most part he probably doesnt even understand what hes feeling himself even though as we audience can see right away that he has some type of special feelings for Alicia because everytime Faldio makes a move it bothers him.

Interesting episode as Isara finally confronts Rosie (some quite out of character for her) However we also get Rosie story and it was quite a sad one. Roise arguement though i find it flawed makes sense in her case. She doesnt blame all Darcesens but her heart cant come to forgive them because she links them them to the death of her parents and it easy to see why..

Faldio saved the day and helped Alicia and takes that moment to confess however Welkin takes a step backwards by starting to cut Alicia out of things. Obviously to spend less time with her becasue his mind is not at ease. However Faldio continues to have death flags waving in the wind and the "dont push yourself too hard" shows it.

I think everyone in all the Militias need this little distraction as it seems they have been in heavy combat for quite sometime now. Plus its not like Empire doesnt whoop that ass on most occassions. So a little USO action was good and Rosie does sing and she does a little jazz song in Japanese that sounded pretty damn good.

Normally i dont say much but the game comparrisaons is getting pretty damn annoying this is the episode thread there is a seperate section to discuss that if you so wish. Can we discuss the episode please, granted sometimes things will slip in but its obviously past that point now.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2009-07-16, 19:05   Link #69
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
- Alicia distrusted Welkin till episode 6, then sudenly, without reason, in episode 7 starts to be friendly toward him, and in episode 10 tries to seduce Velkin. Still without reason.
Remember one thing, the time period between each episode is not consistent. They may extend from days to weeks to months or hours.

After the battle of the bridge she trusted him but not enough to talk with a reporter.

For episode 7-8 don't forget that Welkin saved her from the rubble and they both fought hard to get out of there. By 8 Alicia was asking Faldio more about Welkin and that's when she started to develop feelings for him. Episode 10 they had a time out by themselves and therefore could talk to each other on a more personal level. Given the fact that she's his right-hand man they are literally spending tons of time with each other.

Quote:
- In episode 10 we see members of the squad waiting for missing Alicia and Velkin, risking theirs lives in enemy territory. Before we have seen that most of squad members doesn't trusted Velkin, nor had any warm feelings towards Alicia. Why their attitude changed? Again there is no reason.
Is there any reason why they shouldn't be risking their lives for them? They're your commanders.
If a commander takes care of his troops and looks after them then wouldn't they return the favour?

Welkin has proven himself to be an able commander that has pulled off some pretty amazing victories. Largo and Rosie were the most vocal against him but after he proved himself in battle they admitted that he was competent.

Quote:
- Velkin is supposed to be a military genius. Again without a reson, I haven't seen anything justifying it, his tactis was no better than expected from average trained sergeant in any modern army. Officers of Galia army are portrayed as total idiots, so maybe in Galian army not beeing a total idiot is enought to be know as military genius.
All Gallians are suppose to attend military training, therefore Welkin and Faldio already had a foundation to build upon their military leadership skills.
That and you forget that Welkin's fighting in his own country, he knows his grounds and the fact that he's a crazed biologist means he knows the terrain better than anyone and has used that to use advantage.

However, it's a caste system so obviously the higher-ups really have no skills but are simply there because they're nobles.

Quote:
- Two of four main leaders of Alliance army infiltrating enemy capital. It's pure idiocy. But again it might justy Velkin as a military genius. He is just average but because all other leaders, in his or enemy army, are morons, so by comparison he is a genius.
Not sure where you're going with this.....

Quote:
- Lots of others mistakes and plot holes, like sniper in tank...
What? Tanks can't carry snipers?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline  
Old 2009-07-16, 22:07   Link #70
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Using time skip as an explanation off character development already proves that the author sucks at character development.

Everyone knows that time skip is the cheapest excuse for character development. This way you can 'develop' the weirdest pairings like Welkin falling in love with Hans. A self respecting director would go for time skips only if there is no other choice and so far what is happening in VC seems pretty random and jumpy. I would not call it gradual character development.

And, SoldierOfDarkness, I think he has problem with the whole episode 7 even before the rubble part, as she indeed starts acting differently to Welkin even before that while episode 6 did not show such changes. I think he is asking more to explain this change rather than later ones.

Snipers in the tank are useless not to mention that tanks were never used to transport people (in reality) as its already tight with just the crew in it.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-07-16, 23:46   Link #71
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Using time skip as an explanation off character development already proves that the author sucks at character development.
Hmmm then I would argue then that they spent 2 episodes developing the two's relationship.

Alicia was only hostile towards Welkin in the first eps. Once things settled down she more or less accepted him as her officer.

Sure when they first created the squad there were some concerns but she stood by Welkin regardless.

Quote:
And, SoldierOfDarkness, I think he has problem with the whole episode 7 even before the rubble part, as she indeed starts acting differently to Welkin even before that while episode 6 did not show such changes. I think he is asking more to explain this change rather than later ones.
So if we were to reverse episode 10 and 8's timeline then would that have sufficed?

Quote:
Snipers in the tank are useless not to mention that tanks were never used to transport people (in reality) as its already tight with just the crew in it.
You know I was joking right?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 00:30   Link #72
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Hmmm then I would argue then that they spent 2 episodes developing the two's relationship.

Alicia was only hostile towards Welkin in the first eps. Once things settled down she more or less accepted him as her officer.

Sure when they first created the squad there were some concerns but she stood by Welkin regardless.
Yet her act does change even if we compare how she is in episode 6 and episode 7. The only way to explain is that some time passed, and time skips are pointing to either directors/script-writers inability to show us gradual progression or unwillingness to do that due to time limits. In this case considering that we see enough of holes and weird moments in the VC, I would say it is the former rather than the later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
So if we were to reverse episode 10 and 8's timeline then would that have sufficed?
What? The episode 7 is at question. It doesn't matter what you do with episodes after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You know I was joking right?
My sense of humor moved out not leaving the address.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 00:59   Link #73
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
What? The episode 7 is at question. It doesn't matter what you do with episodes after that.
Whoops.

I meant the cabin episode and the rubble episode.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 01:31   Link #74
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
I moved 27 posts from this thread into the new "The Anime Sucks Because It's Not Like The Game" Spoiler Thread. All game players should use that general thread when they feel like complaining about all the general ways that the anime "fails" in relation to the game except where it is directly related to the actual anime episode in question. It's a "spoiler thread", so game spoilers are permitted there.

I hope this will help us stay a bit more on-topic going forward. The anime is not the game. It's not like the game. It's different than the game. It shares the same names and character designs but isn't the game. Get it? Got it? Good. Now let's discuss the anime (or not), because I really don't need to keep hearing about the game in the anime threads to this degree. If you do compare with past/till-present game content for relevant on-topic reasons, you must do it inside spoiler tags, as per the Spoiler Policy's limited permitted exception for comparisons.
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 01:51   Link #75
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
relentlessflame, you once again prove to be a poor moderator. You move something into your own opinion formulated thread, which reeks with your personal bias.

Some of those complains were not because anime sucks because it is not like the game, but more like - anime sucks, to see it better, look how the characters were handles in the game. Game is used as an example to pointy out the poor quality of anime rather than saying it is different from the game thus it sucks.

I am not against moving that to another specific thread, but you should named the thread 'Anime and game comparisons' or into similar fashion rather than going with such offensive title and stuffing your personal bias down the throats, just because you have mods powers.

SoldierOfDarkness, then you would have still to explain how come she feels those feelings in the cabin episode as they are still different from the ones we are left at episode 6.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 02:00   Link #76
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
relentlessflame, you once again prove to be a poor moderator. You move something into your own opinion formulated thread, which reeks with your personal bias.

Some of those complains were not because anime sucks because it is not like the game, but more like - anime sucks, to see it better, look how the characters were handles in the game. Game is used as an example to pointy out the poor quality of anime rather than saying it is different from the game thus it sucks.

I am not against moving that to another specific thread, but you should named the thread 'Anime and game comparisons' or into similar fashion rather than going with such offensive title and stuffing your personal bias down the throats, just because you have mods powers.
Sheesh -- it's just a title. You're not supposed to take it so damned seriously. The title is a bit of a joke, obviously; it's the first thing that came to mind, but I'll come up with a better title later.

The fact is that this thread had (and still has) far too many game comparisons that are in violation of the Spoiler Policy, and this thread is getting derailed in it. There's clearly enough material there for another topic, and so one was created.

Plus, even still, it may be many things, but I fail to see how the title is "offensive" -- many people in that thread said exactly that in not so many words!

Anyway, whether I'm a poor mod aside, extensive conversations about game comparisons don't belong in episode threads. It's interesting to a degree, but derails the conversation after a while.

Edit: Thread renamed as requested. Hope it's good enough for you...
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 02:14   Link #77
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Plus, even still, it may be many things, but I fail to see how the title is "offensive" -- many people in that thread said exactly that in not so many words!

Anyway, whether I'm a poor mod aside, extensive conversations about game comparisons don't belong in episode threads. It's interesting to a degree, but derails the conversation after a while.

Edit: Thread renamed as requested. Hope it's good enough for you...
I do agree that there were some derails off topic thus I am not against the whole moving to another thread, what I am against is such offensive titles that you first decided to choose. Even a humor can be offensive you know.

Now, lets stop it now here and there. And discuss the anime (or anime and game in the thread you created).
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 03:33   Link #78
Arturro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cracow
Age: 36
@SoldierOfDarkness - Darknemo2000 already answered in my stead for most of yours post. I'm found anime plot as full of holes, cause time skip is used to explain most of characters development in this show. Considering this show supposed to be centered around character developmenst - which is not shown at all - it means screenwriter sucks. In vol1 of manga, ending with capturing of Vasel Bridge (3 anime episode), there was shown more of characters development (Alicia - Velkin, squad members - Velkin and Rosie - Isara) than in 14 episodes of anime. If it was possible in manga, it should be also possible in anime, but creators of show failed to do it.

I still didn't see anything justifing calling Velkin as a military genius. Point to me any of his actions, in anime, which could prove it.
__________________
I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.

Arturro is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 04:29   Link #79
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The fact is that this thread had (and still has) far too many game comparisons that are in violation of the Spoiler Policy.
Hmm but nothing that we have spoken about while comparing anime/game has been spoilers that the new OP hasn't spoiled already.
And while others stuff that may be considered spoilers that did not appear in the OP have little to no chance of appearing in the downgraded version of Valkyria Chronicles which is the anime...
Hmm l can already see this new thread made become very popular even more so then the episode thread from here on out.

Quote:
Edit: Thread renamed as requested. Hope it's good enough for you...
For some reason l think you need a hug.....

*hugs relentlessflame*

there, there....
Manji Midou is offline  
Old 2009-07-17, 06:51   Link #80
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I moved 27 posts from this thread into the new "The Anime Sucks Because It's Not Like The Game" Spoiler Thread. All game players should use that general thread when they feel like complaining about all the general ways that the anime "fails" in relation to the game except where it is directly related to the actual anime episode in question. It's a "spoiler thread", so game spoilers are permitted there.

I hope this will help us stay a bit more on-topic going forward. The anime is not the game. It's not like the game. It's different than the game. It shares the same names and character designs but isn't the game. Get it? Got it? Good. Now let's discuss the anime (or not), because I really don't need to keep hearing about the game in the anime threads to this degree. If you do compare with past/till-present game content for relevant on-topic reasons, you must do it inside spoiler tags, as per the Spoiler Policy's limited permitted exception for comparisons.
Thanks a lot, relentlessflame. This will really help.
...Every week and every week, the same type of comments on how the anime is different really did make the anime episode threads dull...
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.