AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-06-29, 14:00   Link #1
best_wl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bittorrent problem of another kind

Hi,
I wonder if you guys can help me with this problem.

Perviously, my bittorrent is functioning well, with an upload speed of up to 15 KiB/s and a download speed of up to 30 Kib/s. A week ago, in an attempt to get a much-wanted movie from a registered tracker, I uninstalled the original BT cilent and downloaded a new ABC BT cilent so that I can utilised the port range edit function that will enable to download from their tracker.(I changed the range from 6881-6889 to 49152-65535). Once I am complete with the download, I switched the ports back to their original settings, uninstalled the ABC cilent and reinstalled my original BT cilent to proceed on with my normal downloading routine.

That is when the problem begins.

Once I have reinstallled the BT cilent and proceed to download using it, I realised the speeds have greatly altered. I am still able to upload to about 12-15 KiB/s. However, the download speed have dropped drastically to 10-15 KiB/s. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the cilent as well as reforwarding my ports, but the problem still remains.As I have already uninstalled my pervious cilent, I do not know what is the cause of my current problem.

I wonder if there is anybody out there who has a similar problem as I am and has a situation on how to tackle it.

Thanks.
best_wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 14:17   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by best_wl
Hi,
I wonder if you guys can help me with this problem.

Perviously, my bittorrent is functioning well, with an upload speed of up to 15 KiB/s and a download speed of up to 30 Kib/s. A week ago, in an attempt to get a much-wanted movie from a registered tracker, I uninstalled the original BT cilent and downloaded a new ABC BT cilent so that I can utilised the port range edit function that will enable to download from their tracker.(I changed the range from 6881-6889 to 49152-65535). Once I am complete with the download, I switched the ports back to their original settings, uninstalled the ABC cilent and reinstalled my original BT cilent to proceed on with my normal downloading routine.

That is when the problem begins.

Once I have reinstallled the BT cilent and proceed to download using it, I realised the speeds have greatly altered. I am still able to upload to about 12-15 KiB/s. However, the download speed have dropped drastically to 10-15 KiB/s. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the cilent as well as reforwarding my ports, but the problem still remains.As I have already uninstalled my pervious cilent, I do not know what is the cause of my current problem.

I wonder if there is anybody out there who has a similar problem as I am and has a situation on how to tackle it.

Thanks.
Are you using a router? If that's the case, mind downloading yet another - awesome - client: Azureus (see link in sig). It's able to give a more detailed error message in form of the 'Health' of a torrent. A router issue is easy to identify with the Health system of Azureus (the smiley will turn yellow). Moreover, Azureus can map your ports automatically, as does BitTornado. If you, however, don't want to change BT clients (which would be a shame because the official BT client sucks ), download BitTornado for diagnostic purposes only (it has a Health system similar to Azureus). Now start a torrent with one of the clients and tell me the color of the smiley (Azureus) or the light bulb (BitTornado). Moreover, post your bandwith speed and as much as information you can provide over your internet connections (firewall, router, background programs running etc)

Tip of the day:
*cough*Pick Azureus *cough*
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 15:14   Link #3
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_

Tip of the day:
*cough*Pick Azureus *cough*
Did you invented Azureus or you were engaged to do publicity for it?
__________________
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 02:05   Link #4
best_wl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Are you using a router? If that's the case, mind downloading yet another - awesome - client: Azureus (see link in sig). It's able to give a more detailed error message in form of the 'Health' of a torrent. A router issue is easy to identify with the Health system of Azureus (the smiley will turn yellow). Moreover, Azureus can map your ports automatically, as does BitTornado. If you, however, don't want to change BT clients (which would be a shame because the official BT client sucks ), download BitTornado for diagnostic purposes only (it has a Health system similar to Azureus). Now start a torrent with one of the clients and tell me the color of the smiley (Azureus) or the light bulb (BitTornado). Moreover, post your bandwith speed and as much as information you can provide over your internet connections (firewall, router, background programs running etc)

Tip of the day:
*cough*Pick Azureus *cough*
Well, my com does not have Java so I am going for BitTornado instead.

The colour of the indicator icon is green(good health) and I have an upload that ranges from 5-15 kib/s and a download that ranges from 1-10 kib/s. The max upload is set at 4 and the upload rate is set at unlimited. I am using broadband with 256 kB bandwidth.

Yes, and I disabled my Norton Antivirus' auto-protect function.
best_wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 06:25   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by best_wl
Well, my com does not have Java so I am going for BitTornado instead.
Please don't tell NoSanninWa about this, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by best_wl
The colour of the indicator icon is green(good health) and I have an upload that ranges from 5-15 kib/s and a download that ranges from 1-10 kib/s. The max upload is set at 4 and the upload rate is set at unlimited. I am using broadband with 256 kB bandwidth.
Green; that's all I wanted to know. That means that your BT client is configured properly. Just one question: What is your max. upload speed? 128Kb/s? 256Kb/s? Chances are that it is 128Kb/s. Therefore I advise you to cap your upload at 12-13KB/s globally. If you upload more than that while downloading as well, you'll lose download speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by best_wl
Yes, and I disabled my Norton Antivirus' auto-protect function.
Why? Enable it, it's good and does not interfere with BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
Did you invented Azureus or you were engaged to do publicity for it?
Not at all. I just want to share the best BT client with all of you
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 07:09   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Quote:
Originally Posted by best_wl
Well, my com does not have Java so I am going for BitTornado instead.
Please don't tell NoSanninWa about this, ok?
Too late. Honestly this isn't a great reason to not get Azureus. It isn't hard to install java. I'll side with BitTornado though anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
Did you invented Azureus or you were engaged to do publicity for it?
Not at all. I just want to share the best BT client with all of you
Don't listen to him! Azureus pays him royalties for every convert he brings over. He's lining his pockets with the gullibility of those who listen to him.

Seriously if you need to queue up a lot of torrents at once then I'd say that you are better off with Azureus, otherwise BitTornado is superior. That's the main difference. (And even that difference will disappear with BitTornado v.5 at which time tornado will become just a simpler to configure clone of Azureus... :sigh: )
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 07:44   Link #7
best_wl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Hi Sin,

I have done what you have suggested and have set the BitTornado at the settings for dsl/slow cable(max upload:4 and upload rate: 13 kb/s). After this, I tried downloading the latest episode of Sailor Moon live Action(which has hundreds of seeds and leechers) to test the effect of these new changes.

It turns out that the maximum download could reach 20 kb/s after the changes. (for some reason, it could not range the pervious peak of 30 kB/s)However, the speed does not stay at that level for very long. The download rate fluctuates widely, going down to 2 kB/s at numerous times. When it eventually picks up, it only manages a download speed of 10 kB/s.

I am beginning to wonder if this is a server problem.
best_wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 07:58   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by best_wl
Hi Sin,

I have done what you have suggested and have set the BitTornado at the settings for dsl/slow cable(max upload:4 and upload rate: 13 kb/s). After this, I tried downloading the latest episode of Sailor Moon live Action(which has hundreds of seeds and leechers) to test the effect of these new changes.

It turns out that the maximum download could reach 20 kb/s after the changes. (for some reason, it could not range the pervious peak of 30 kB/s)However, the speed does not stay at that level for very long. The download rate fluctuates widely, going down to 2 kB/s at numerous times. When it eventually picks up, it only manages a download speed of 10 kB/s.

I am beginning to wonder if this is a server problem.
Well, I expect you to get 30KB/s at max and not all the time. A more reasonable value would be ~27-28KB/s which you can get. The fluctuation is pretty normal with BT and is caused by the swarm. You should get a constant download rate after some time with the swarm, or if you are really unsure, go ahead and download the latest Naruto episode which are pretty well seeded. Note that you might have to wait about 5min for the download to use your maximum speed because connecting to peers takes it's time (especially true with all non-Azureus clients!)
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 02:23   Link #9
best_wl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I have tested out the operation of my BitTornado with the letest Naruto episode and played around with the settings at the same time. I set my settings at "dsl/slow cable" initally before switching it to "seeder". I realised that this method works well when you are connected to many seeders and relatively less leechers.(of course, and I can reach up to 30 kb/s download rate, my pervious maximum)However, when I tried it again a few hours later, the number of connected seeders and leechers changes and this method no longer works.

The point is, in the past, there is no need for me to resort to caping uploads to achieve desireable download speeds.(The original BT cilent never have this function in the first place) Now, even with the help of BT cilents that have "settings-alternating" functions, I could not even obtain 30% of the desireable speed for most of the time.

After some thinking, I came to a conclusion that someone/somebody is attempting to dispute BT downloading by planting a bug in the server. This is probably done to discourage piracy. This is especially true in my country, which is pretty aggressive to combating piracy.(They have even captured and fined people for serving on the mirc, imagine that) If (and that is a very big IF)what I have guessed is true, then it is practically hopeless to find a solution to my problem.
best_wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 06:42   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by best_wl
I have tested out the operation of my BitTornado with the letest Naruto episode and played around with the settings at the same time. I set my settings at "dsl/slow cable" initally before switching it to "seeder". I realised that this method works well when you are connected to many seeders and relatively less leechers.(of course, and I can reach up to 30 kb/s download rate, my pervious maximum)However, when I tried it again a few hours later, the number of connected seeders and leechers changes and this method no longer works.

The point is, in the past, there is no need for me to resort to caping uploads to achieve desireable download speeds.(The original BT cilent never have this function in the first place) Now, even with the help of BT cilents that have "settings-alternating" functions, I could not even obtain 30% of the desireable speed for most of the time.

After some thinking, I came to a conclusion that someone/somebody is attempting to dispute BT downloading by planting a bug in the server. This is probably done to discourage piracy. This is especially true in my country, which is pretty aggressive to combating piracy.(They have even captured and fined people for serving on the mirc, imagine that) If (and that is a very big IF)what I have guessed is true, then it is practically hopeless to find a solution to my problem.
I'd rather say that a fluctuation of download speeds is pretty common with BT and nothing to worry about. If you really think someone is trying to impede BT, i.e. your ISP slowing traffic through the common BT ports, try changing the ports in BitTornado. I doubt, however, that a "3rd party" is responsible for the fluctuation but BT itself.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.