AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 278 64.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.17%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-16, 08:18   Link #101
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Buddy, this is anime, fiction, its not meant to be real. I watch this to feel good. If I want to watch entire family getting slaughtered, dying of famine, warfare, and other troubles, there is CNN.
So you're telling me that Slice of Life anime is not meant to be realistic?

Quote:
There is nothing difficult to understand about this show. It had taken painstaking steps in explaining the process through the illusion world. I highly doubt that you do not understand, more like some of you pretend not to buy into the idea.
Exactly I don't buy in to the idea. That was my point. I'm sure I understand it but I find that in a lot of arguments between people it's always because of some misunderstanding, so just for for clarifications I'd like you to explain the whole purpose of the illusionary world and how it ties in with the theme of the show.

Quote:
This anime focuses on family, how they cope with difficulties, in addition to a dose of love, hope & miracles for good measure.
Yes I know. That's why I'm not that happy with the ending. And i'm aware that it was the theme of the game yes.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 10:57   Link #102
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Quote:
So you're telling me that Slice of Life anime is not meant to be realistic?
Depends on what aspect it is focusing in (there is Someday Dreamers for example) but CLANNAD is not slice of life by any stretch of the imagination
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 11:22   Link #103
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Depends on what aspect it is focusing in (there is Someday Dreamers for example) but CLANNAD is not slice of life by any stretch of the imagination
Okay, I'm at lost for words here because I can't see how it CAN'T be a Slice of Life anime so I'm guessing we have vastly different definitions of slice of life. To be fair I haven't seen that many Slice of Life animes so I may be wrong here but I thought episodes 9 to 20 were a good example of Slice of Life.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2009-07-16 at 11:46.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 14:02   Link #104
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So you're telling me that Slice of Life anime is not meant to be realistic?
Ok, I hope you know that "Slice of Life" isn't the only genre it's labeled as, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Exactly I don't buy in to the idea. That was my point. I'm sure I understand it but I find that in a lot of arguments between people it's always because of some misunderstanding, so just for for clarifications I'd like you to explain the whole purpose of the illusionary world and how it ties in with the theme of the show.
/facepalm

Ok, it's obvious that arguments occur because people have misunderstandings, that's why we argue, to make everything clear through reasoning and facts but that's besides the point here.

If you didn't understand the Illusionary world, then you didn't completely grasp the theme of the show. The purpose of the illusionary world (I'll use IW from now on to make things short) is to slowly introduce us to the fantasy elements of the show in which you're confused about. The IW is also there to further exemplify the meaning of the light orbs and such. If you pay attention to Kotomi's arc in season 1 of Clannad, that does a pretty good job at explaining how the IW exists in the first place so it's not like they completely ignored the existence of the IW.

The IW ties in with the theme simply by existing. Without the IW, we wouldn't have gotten the existence of alternate universes and the importance of family. After Nagisa's death, Tomoya completely ignored his daughter and took for granted that she was healthy and alive and when he finally realized that he had a daughter, she dies and then Tomoya collapses and dies as well (I think this ending would have pissed more people off then the current ending.) Tomoya's desire to save Ushio was so strong that his wish came true to put it simply. And that's where we get the world where Nagisa and Ushio live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Okay, I'm at lost for words here because I can't see how it CAN'T be a Slice of Life anime so I'm guessing we have vastly different definitions of slice of life. To be fair I haven't seen that many Slice of Life animes so I may be wrong here but I thought episodes 9 to 20 were a good example of Slice of Life.
Ok, nobody here said that this anime wasn't slice of life. The concept isn't that difficult to grasp. Like I said before, this anime isn't isolated to being only slice of life, it's a mixture of genres. (e.g. - Slice of Life, Romance, Fantasy, Comedy, School Life, etc.)
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 14:43   Link #105
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Ok, I hope you know that "Slice of Life" isn't the only genre it's labeled as, right?
Okay, but I've always thought that the fantasy part was a sort of way to enhance the slice of life genre, you know to, like, help Tomoya and Nagisa develop. Act as a sort of thought experiment.

Quote:
/facepalm

Ok, it's obvious that arguments occur because people have misunderstandings, that's why we argue, to make everything clear through reasoning and facts but that's besides the point here.
I know that, but it could've been through some other misunderstanding. I never said I didn't understand the illusionary world. That was the other guy that brought it up and i figured perhaps that may be why we're arguing. FWI, the only reason I'm actually arguing is because a lot people here say that those people that didn't like the ending didn't understand the theme so I want to understand and make sure I'm not wrong, and if I am wrong then know why, because I love After Story and want to marvel at it's brilliance.

Quote:
If you didn't understand the Illusionary world, then you didn't completely grasp the theme of the show. The purpose of the illusionary world (I'll use IW from now on to make things short) is to slowly introduce us to the fantasy elements of the show in which you're confused about. The IW is also there to further exemplify the meaning of the light orbs and such. If you pay attention to Kotomi's arc in season 1 of Clannad, that does a pretty good job at explaining how the IW exists in the first place so it's not like they completely ignored the existence of the IW

The IW ties in with the theme simply by existing. Without the IW, we wouldn't have gotten the existence of alternate universes and the importance of family. After Nagisa's death, Tomoya completely ignored his daughter and took for granted that she was healthy and alive and when he finally realized that he had a daughter, she dies and then Tomoya collapses and dies as well (I think this ending would have pissed more people off then the current ending.) Tomoya's desire to save Ushio was so strong that his wish came true to put it simply. And that's where we get the world where Nagisa and Ushio live.
Okay, this I understand. Be more specific about the miracle. In what way does the miracle allow development to occur? In what way does it add to the plot besides resolving it? What does it teach us? How did the miracle allow Tomoya or Nagisa develop that couldn't have happened if it had been any other way?

Quote:
Ok, nobody here said that this anime wasn't slice of life. The concept isn't that difficult to grasp. Like I said before, this anime isn't isolated to being only slice of life, it's a mixture of genres. (e.g. - Slice of Life, Romance, Fantasy, Comedy, School Life, etc.)
Oi! Proto said it was "not a slice of life by any strech of the imagination". That's what she said damn it.

Btw, do you know how to make animated avatars?
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2009-07-16 at 14:59.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 22:53   Link #106
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Okay, but I've always thought that the fantasy part was a sort of way to enhance the slice of life genre, you know to, like, help Tomoya and Nagisa develop. Act as a sort of thought experiment.
You're making things more difficult for yourself here. Slice of Life is exactly what the name implies, elements in the plot that shows us the everyday life. Fantasy is fictional and just stuff that doesn't happen in real life (e.g. - Miracles, IW, etc.) I can't see how Fantasy enhances Slice of Life since they completely contradict each other. Still, let's not continue this part of the discussion because we don't control the genres of the show. So let's focus on the more significant aspects, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Okay, this I understand. Be more specific about the miracle. In what way does the miracle allow development to occur? In what way does it add to the plot besides resolving it? What does it teach us? How did the miracle allow Tomoya or Nagisa develop that couldn't have happened if it had been any other way?
/facepalm

I'm sorry but could you re-read my post again because the answers to your questions are right there. I'll answer all your questions with one response again but before I do, let's clarify something here. Nagisa's development halted in episode 16 when she died so we can't really say that she had development after the miracle considering she's the reason that there needed to be one.

Again, Tomoya ignored his daughter for 4 of 5 years and turned to smoking, drinking and gambling during that time. He didn't realize that Nagisa wasn't the only person in his family. There was Ushio who needed his guidance and love. The whole point of the miracle was to teach Tomoya what it takes to be a father and at the same time to forgive his own father for the mistakes he made because Tomoya himself couldn't do any better when placed in the same position as his father. If there were no miracle, then we would not have gotten any development considering Tomoya just collapsed alongside his daughter in the snow and died. Even this "miracle" coincides with the family theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Oi! Proto said it was "not a slice of life by any strech of the imagination". That's what she said damn it.

Btw, do you know how to make animated avatars?
I didn't actually read Proto's post. I'm not exactly sure what Proto meant but in my opinion, it does contain Slice of Life elements but it's definitely not the only genre within this series.

No, I actually don't make avatars or sigs, but there is a very useful thread in this sub-forum where you can request an avatar or request so you should use that if you don't know someone that can make you one.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 00:00   Link #107
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Quote:
I didn't actually read Proto's post. I'm not exactly sure what Proto meant but in my opinion, it does contain Slice of Life elements but it's definitely not the only genre within this series.
Not even the main one or even a secondary one I'd say. CLANNAD is mainly romance, and maybe a mixture of genres there, but at least under the classical definition of SOL (where Lucky Star and friends wouldn't be SOL either) CLANNAD is wa----ay to character focused to be considered slice of life. This is all about character centric drama after all, with some plot here and there.

Quote:
Oi! Proto said it was "not a slice of life by any strech of the imagination". That's what she said damn it.
She? I thought the only girly part about me was my avatar
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 01:34   Link #108
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
What did they describe the imaginary world as? A lonely place where nothing ever changes-- a place of stagnation.

Now compare this with Tomoya's monologue in the very beginning of the series. He and Nagisa were pretty aimless and detached. As the series progressed, they began to move further and further away from this. Things went into motion. People began to find their goals and each other. And eventually, we see the imaginary world finally collapse at the end.

Basically:
Main world in Clannad= change and movement; life
Imaginary World= desolate and stagnant; death.

I have no idea why I decided to say all this. But that's what I think of the importance of the IW. I've only watched the show.

As for my previous comment on whether Tomoya deserves a miracle or not over anyone else. I could say no. But it doesn't matter. He should be damned thankful for it. Will he learn to appreciate it? Well, all signs point to yes since he seems to remember.

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-07-17 at 01:50.
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 04:32   Link #109
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
You're making things more difficult for yourself here. Slice of Life is exactly what the name implies, elements in the plot that shows us the everyday life. Fantasy is fictional and just stuff that doesn't happen in real life (e.g. - Miracles, IW, etc.) I can't see how Fantasy enhances Slice of Life since they completely contradict each other. Still, let's not continue this part of the discussion because we don't control the genres of the show. So let's focus on the more significant aspects, shall we?
That's not what I meant. I mean how does the fantasy elements allow character development to occur. I thought that was the sole purpose of the fantasy elements. Like asking "if this happened, what would you do". Doesn't Slice of Life involve character development that can be translated to everyday life. Well what was the purpose behind the fantasy elemets? It was to enhance the theme of show right? Isn't the theme a part of slice of life?

Quote:
/facepalm

I'm sorry but could you re-read my post again because the answers to your questions are right there. I'll answer all your questions with one response again but before I do, let's clarify something here. Nagisa's development halted in episode 16 when she died so we can't really say that she had development after the miracle considering she's the reason that there needed to be one.

Again, Tomoya ignored his daughter for 4 of 5 years and turned to smoking, drinking and gambling during that time. He didn't realize that Nagisa wasn't the only person in his family. There was Ushio who needed his guidance and love. The whole point of the miracle was to teach Tomoya what it takes to be a father and at the same time to forgive his own father for the mistakes he made because Tomoya himself couldn't do any better when placed in the same position as his father. If there were no miracle, then we would not have gotten any development considering Tomoya just collapsed alongside his daughter in the snow and died. Even this "miracle" coincides with the family theme.
I thought that development occured in episode 18 and 19 already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post

No, I actually don't make avatars or sigs, but there is a very useful thread in this sub-forum where you can request an avatar or request so you should use that if you don't know someone that can make you one.
yeah...
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2009-07-17 at 09:29.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 13:06   Link #110
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That's not what I meant. I mean how does the fantasy elements allow character development to occur. I thought that was the sole purpose of the fantasy elements. Like asking "if this happened, what would you do". Doesn't Slice of Life involve character development that can be translated to everyday life. Well what was the purpose behind the fantasy elemets? It was to enhance the theme of show right? Isn't the theme a part of slice of life?
Ok, this is a premeditated plot and the fantasy elements are there because this series is based off the visual novel. The genre doesn't necessarily have to include character development, it's more of plot development, that's why I said that it enhances the plot. Again, this isn't that significant for me to discuss and I'd rather drop this all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I thought that development occured in episode 18 and 19 already.
Yes, the development did occur before the miracle but what development do we have if all that was left was a dead family. The point of episode 22 was self-realization for Tomoya. The miracle occurred because he had the choice to either never meet Nagisa where nothing ever happened or do it all over again no matter the circumstances. If Tomoya had never met Nagisa, then he would have never forgiven his father and he would have went on to live his life as a delinquent resentful of his life. The character development that we had was shown at the end of episode 22 where Tomoya and his family go to visit his father where his grandmother lives. Without the miracle, there would be no one alive.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 13:22   Link #111
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Yes, the development did occur before the miracle but what development do we have if all that was left was a dead family. The point of episode 22 was self-realization for Tomoya. The miracle occurred because he had the choice to either never meet Nagisa where nothing ever happened or do it all over again no matter the circumstances. If Tomoya had never met Nagisa, then he would have never forgiven his father and he would have went on to live his life as a delinquent resentful of his life. The character development that we had was shown at the end of episode 22 where Tomoya and his family go to visit his father where his grandmother lives. Without the miracle, there would be no one alive.
Okay there are two things here. First of all to say that all we have is a dead family if the miracle didn't occur isn't a good reason. The whole reason why plot devices are made is primarily because of reasons like this. Because they reached a dead end that nobody would like. Have you ever watched Bleach?

Second of all. I don't mind a miracle occuring but I wish it just wasn't too perfect. To me it's going against the theme of Tomoya trying to live through an imperfect world. If the miracle were imperfect then I wouldn't have minded.

Something like the garbage doll realising who he is becomes the real Tomoya who realises that he can use the light orbs to save Nagisa and a have perfect life but realises that somewhere along the line it would mean a bad thing for someone else like Akio did so instead realeses the light orbs and this stops the blizzard saving him and Ushio in the illusionary world and then they both figure that Nagisa might be the illsuionary world somewhere too so they go on a search to find her. Something like that! The same character development would've occured and it would've kept to the whole 'an imperfect world' theme.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2009-07-17 at 14:13.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 13:45   Link #112
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Nothing says the world Tomoya gets after 22 is perfect. What we see looks perfect, but we don't really get to see all that much. Little snap shots of life.

Tomoya's choices was to accept family, the good and the bad. He seems to have gotten the good this time around. Maybe it will stay good, maybe it won't. The point is that he accepted it.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 14:11   Link #113
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
It's made to look that way and to Tomoya it probably is. It's as perfect as it can get.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 14:19   Link #114
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Okay there are two things here. First of all to say that all we have is a dead family if the miracle didn't occur isn't a good reason. The whole reason why plot devices are made is primarily because of reasons like this. Because they reached a dead end that nobody would like. Have you ever watched Bleach?
Plot devices were created because everything has been done before. If you want something original, I doubt that anyone can come up with one. Again, they didn't reach a dead end here, the plot was laid out since it's based off the game. There are always 2 sides to everything, but the results will be the same. There will always be someone to complain about it. Let's say this anime had an ending of hopelessness, then what? We'll have someone like you coming in here arguing that it would have been better to have a happy ending. This anime wasn't made to please only you.

On a side note, Bleach is irrelevant to this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Second of all. I don't mind a miracle occuring but I wish it just wasn't too perfect. To me it's going against the theme of Tomoya trying to live through an imperfect world. If the miracle were imperfect then I wouldn't have minded.
Nobody here ever said that it was perfect and you can quote me on that. Only you said it was. The theme was Tomoya trying to live through an imperfect world? Really? The theme of this anime was family, the main one that is and it was fairly obvious. I don't know where you get the notion that this anime was about Tomoya trying to live through an imperfect world because the ending of this series proves otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Something like the garbage doll realising who he is becomes the real Tomoya who realises that he can use the light orbs to save Nagisa and a have perfect life but realises that somewhere along the line it would mean a bad thing for someone else like Akio did so instead realeses the light orbs and this stops the blizzard saving him and Ushio in the illusionary world and then they both figure that Nagisa but be the illsuionary world somewhere too so they go on a seacrh to find her. Something like that! The same character development would've occured and it would've kept to the whole 'an imperfect world' theme.
You completely lost me here because I have no idea what you said in the first half of this paragraph, actually, I didn't understand most of it. Point here is that Tomoya didn't know what would come out of the miracle, all he wished for was to save Ushio and in the end he got Nagisa back as well. He had his choice in the beginning of episode 22, Tomoya could have decided to ignore Nagisa so he wouldn't have to make her suffer but he realized that he really didn't regret meeting her. If it meant that he had to go through all the pain and suffering again, he would take the risk. Again, there is no theme as the one that you claim. This anime isn't about suffering and tragic endings. This isn't Romeo and Juliet, this is Clannad. It's about family and hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Nothing says the world Tomoya gets after 22 is perfect. What we see looks perfect, but we don't really get to see all that much. Little snap shots of life.

Tomoya's choices was to accept family, the good and the bad. He seems to have gotten the good this time around. Maybe it will stay good, maybe it won't. The point is that he accepted it.
Yes, you beat me to it. Let me reiterate here. Tomoya didn't know what he was going to get when he awoke to the time where Nagisa gave birth. Tomoya thought that he was going to witness Nagisa die again. When the miracle occurred, Tomoya chose to accept the same life he lived with Nagisa, the good and the bad. There is no such thing as perfect.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 14:45   Link #115
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Plot devices were created because everything has been done before. If you want something original, I doubt that anyone can come up with one. Again, they didn't reach a dead end here, the plot was laid out since it's based off the game. There are always 2 sides to everything, but the results will be the same. There will always be someone to complain about it. Let's say this anime had an ending of hopelessness, then what? We'll have someone like you coming in here arguing that it would have been better to have a happy ending. This anime wasn't made to please only you.

On a side note, Bleach is irrelevant to this discussion.
I really don't see how that addresses my point. It being based off a game doesn't mean anything. And the reason I mentioned Bleach was because i rmemeber having a similar convo with someone about that.

Quote:
Nobody here ever said that it was perfect and you can quote me on that. Only you said it was. The theme was Tomoya trying to live through an imperfect world? Really? The theme of this anime was family, the main one that is and it was fairly obvious. I don't know where you get the notion that this anime was about Tomoya trying to live through an imperfect world because the ending of this series proves otherwise.
The fact that a load of shit happens to Tomoya? Not just Tomoya but to others as well. The only thing that proves otherwise is the ending and that's exactly what I'm complaining about. It's a Slice of Life isn't it? I know it's a fantasy aswell but the Fantasy shouldn't contradict the slice of life. I guess I ought to go back to my original point: If the purpose of the show is defeated by realism then that's kind of a weak purpose isn't it?

Quote:
You completely lost me here because I have no idea what you said in the first half of this paragraph, actually, I didn't understand most of it. Point here is that Tomoya didn't know what would come out of the miracle, all he wished for was to save Ushio and in the end he got Nagisa back as well. He had his choice in the beginning of episode 22, Tomoya could have decided to ignore Nagisa so he wouldn't have to make her suffer but he realized that he really didn't regret meeting her. If it meant that he had to go through all the pain and suffering again, he would take the risk. Again, there is no theme as the one that you claim. This anime isn't about suffering and tragic endings. This isn't Romeo and Juliet, this is Clannad. It's about family and hope.
That's what I'm complaining about. Tomoya not realising doesn't mean anything against my point. My point was that there were alternatives to the happy ending which still had all the development and still covered the theme of the show (the family and hope theme as well) without it being so perfect (or as perfect as it can get, if you insist). The paragraph you replyed to was me giving such an example.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 15:13   Link #116
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I really don't see how that addresses my point. It being based off a game doesn't mean anything. And the reason I mentioned Bleach was because i rmemeber having a similar convo with someone about that.

The fact that a load of shit happens to Tomoya? Not just Tomoya but to others as well. The only thing that proves otherwise is the ending and that's exactly what I'm complaining about. It's a Slice of Life isn't it? I know it's a fantasy aswell but the Fantasy shouldn't contradict the slice of life. I guess I ought to go back to my original point: If the purpose of the show is defeated by realism then that's kind of a weak purpose isn't it?

That's what I'm complaining about. Tomoya not realising doesn't mean anything against my point. My point was that there were alternatives to the happy ending which still had all the development and still covered the theme of the show (the family and hope theme as well) without it being so perfect (or as perfect as it can get, if you insist). The paragraph you replyed to was me giving such an example.


Bleach is a completely different anime in which has no space for discussion here. You said Clannad reached a dead end but how can it when the plot was already set in stone. The only way I see Clannad reaching a dead end is if it had fillers in which it didn't, it was faithful to the visual novel. You had a similar conversation with someone else about it but I don't see how it holds any relevance to me since I didn't discuss it with you.

That's why I said that this anime is a mixture of different genres. Just because it's labeled as Slice of Life doesn't mean it's going to be as real as it gets when it also contains fantasy elements (which will be fictional.) If you want realism then just watch KGNE but that isn't Clannad. KyoAni isn't known for creating realistic animes. Their purpose wasn't to create the most realistic anime, only you seem to think that.

Yes, of course there were alternatives to the happy ending so let me reiterate again. We got the visual novels true ending which is for the fans of the game, like I said before, you aren't the only one watching this anime so if you didn't like it then that's just a shame. I for one haven't played the game and I still thought it was a good way to end it. We don't know if the alternative endings you're thinking about would be good or bad, it would end up the same in the end. It's subjective. I understand what you're trying to say but it doesn't seem you understand what I'm saying so I hope that this clears things up.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-07-17 at 16:00.
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 15:29   Link #117
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Simple problem...there wasn't any other endling along this route. Everytime you go through to the end, you get the 21 result. Over and over again. Sure you could take one of the other girl's paths and get the Another World endings such as the one for Tomoyo or Kyou...but until you did everything and Tomoya learns his leason about family...you will get the dead family result. The 22 ending is the result of sticking through everything. Enduring all the joy and the pain. There simply is no given alternative for the animation company to use.

Its a Key game. This is just how they do things. Like Kanon and AIR.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 17:18   Link #118
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, weird enough but when I thought of slice of life, I thought of animes like Shana and Haruhi.
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 00:31   Link #119
dgreater1
Misuzu & Kotomi Protector
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 31
This has become a heated discussion

But anyway, a message to Haak

KEY Shows are made to make you think. If you're wondering what the hell the story is about, what happened to the ending, what happened to some scene, what happened before, what will happen after, what is this thing or that thing or etc. Then you've been KEYED

You mustn't compare this to some shows that you just watch and forget, you need to REFLECT on things that you have watched in CLANNAD to understand it, just as how you should reflect on what you experienced in life to sculpture yourself to the person you want to be. If you get the idea, cool, if you don't buy that idea, cool as well, if you don't get the idea, then the reason you're here is probably to try and get the idea, or you're probably just lost somewhere.
__________________
~ Time is a luxury which you do not have ~
Parvati IV/Sanjiyan of 3x3 Eyes
CLANNAD Translation Project
DGreater1's Blog: A World made by a simple thought
dgreater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 03:48   Link #120
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post

Bleach is a completely different anime in which has no space for discussion here. You said Clannad reached a dead end but how can it when the plot was already set in stone. The only way I see Clannad reaching a dead end is if it had fillers in which it didn't, it was faithful to the visual novel. You had a similar conversation with someone else about it but I don't see how it holds any relevance to me since I didn't discuss it with you.
I wanted to use Bleach to illustrate my point. If you watched Bleach then you'd understand. All plots are set in stone. That's doesn't prevent Deus Ex machina's from occuring does it? Think of any piece of literature, whatever it may be, that ended in a total blatant Deus Ex Machina but would've been worse if the Deus Ex Machina hadn't occured. That doesn't mean the what actually happenned isn't bad.

Saying it is what is because it's based on a game is not an excuse. It's an explanation.

Quote:
That's why I said that this anime is a mixture of different genres. Just because it's labeled as Slice of Life doesn't mean it's going to be as real as it gets when it also contains fantasy elements (which will be fictional.) If you want realism then just watch KGNE but that isn't Clannad. KyoAni isn't known for creating realistic animes. Their purpose wasn't to create the most realistic anime, only you seem to think that.
Not just me. A lot of people. But anyway, I never said it had to be as real as it gets, otherwise I've would've complained about the illusionary world all together. The fact is that the family theme counts towards the Slice of Life. The family theme is partly what makes it a slice of life. And Slice of Life's themes are supposed to be realistic. If it contains fantasy elements then it should be made that it doesn't invalidate the slice of life's theme. The slice of life's theme should remain true and applicable to the real world even when fantasy is brought in. But that wasn't the case with the ending. I explained it a little better in the other thread.

Quote:
Yes, of course there were alternatives to the happy ending so let me reiterate again. We got the visual novels true ending which is for the fans of the game, like I said before, you aren't the only one watching this anime so if you didn't like it then that's just a shame. I for one haven't played the game and I still thought it was a good way to end it. We don't know if the alternative endings you're thinking about would be good or bad, it would end up the same in the end. It's subjective. I understand what you're trying to say but it doesn't seem you understand what I'm saying so I hope that this clears things up.
Okay let me try and explain something. I LOVE Clannad After Story. Even despite the ending it reached my top ten (see profile) it could possibly be my most favourite. I'm still watching clips of Clannad on yotube over and over again. Now I didn't like the ending, but I've heard a lot of people say that those that didn't like the ending didn't understand it. Now think about. If you found out that a flaw in one your most favourite shows wasn't actually a flaw but was actually some sor tof fridge brilliance you'd be pretty pissed that you missed it, right? And you'd want to find out, right? So if what you're saying is true and that there were alternatives then that means there wasn't anything that I misunderstood, right? Dgreater1 actually got it.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2009-07-18 at 05:28.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.