AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-06-28, 10:39   Link #1
div

Singapore block BT downloads?

Hi

I am from singapore, suscribing to maxonline cable internet without any router.
The speeds i get from BT9and other p2p progs) is ridiculously slow.
I can get maybe 10kB MAX and downloads take like forever.

Irc is fine, i can get like 100k on it, but a lot of things i want to download is on BT
I'm using azureus now, and i followed all of sin's tips for faster downloads but its still slow and even tested lots of differnet ports

A friend told me that u cant do p2p like kazaa and BT in singapore cause the isps in singapore blocks it
Is this true? can anyone confirm this?

Thx
div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 11:38   Link #2
samir85

Send a message via ICQ to samir85
Well, since I come from Germany and Singapure is placed on the other side of the Earth, I can't really say if this is true.
Howver, some German ISPs reduce traffic of common P2P Ports too, you can solve this issue by changing the ports BT uses.
samir85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 11:41   Link #3
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by div
Hi

Irc is fine, i can get like 100k on it, but a lot of things i want to download is on BT
I'm using azureus now, and i followed all of sin's tips for faster downloads but its still slow and even tested lots of differnet ports

A friend told me that u cant do p2p like kazaa and BT in singapore cause the isps in singapore blocks it

Thx
Change the ports with Azureus. You can do this under Configuration:Server. Try other ports than 6881.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 19:14   Link #4
div

like i said, i've tested a lot of other ports
ranging from 5000-20000

still not working well
div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 23:40   Link #5
hotmilo

I'm a scv user too

Hi i'm a user on scv maxonline too.

Assuming you don't have a router, and hasn't change any setting everything shld be fine.

Singapore doesn't block p2p programs, but most of the isps impose upload limits, which may restrict your download speed since bt depends on upload speed too.

However, there appears to be a transparent proxy in place on the scv side, so most trackers that disable nat checking(often listed at the bottom) will give u probs.

Sites that i've verified to work are - scarywater, animetorrents, gotwoot. sites that don't work(ie yellow light) included overclocked remix and nandayo.net(recently down).

As for how fast speeds can go, the max i 've reached is 140kB/s. Avg is 30. Try one of the torrents listed on a.scarywater.net, if that still gives u a yellow light after a while, then theres a prob. If its green, then it simply means u chose a very popular torrent, and due to the upload limits, u won't get good speeds on these torrents.

I hope this helps
hotmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 23:44   Link #6
hotmilo

followup

btw, i use bittornado, with default settings, and a pcillin firewall security set to medium. u might want to adjust your setting on your firewall, and switch to anoitehr client if azureus continues to give u probs.
hotmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 03:02   Link #7
project_00

No problem here from a Singaporean
project_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 06:43   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by div
Hi

Thx
What are your maximum download and upload speeds? What is the 'Health' of your torrents (color of the smiley)? Is the torrent you are downloading seeded well? (If you are not sure, go download the newest Naruto episode and see if that makes a difference)
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-06-30, 07:23   Link #9
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
What are your maximum download and upload speeds? What is the 'Health' of your torrents (color of the smiley)? Is the torrent you are downloading seeded well? (If you are not sure, go download the newest Naruto episode and see if that makes a difference)
What ever I download I get the yellow dot, even the "every popular" Latest Naruto episode. But from once every three weeks I get the green dot for some unknow reason (Maybe the network gods looked my way and decided to bless me for one computer session, I should start worshiping my machine now ).

Well I've been plagued with the yellow dot problem for ages. I'm currently using BitTornado Version T-0.01 with the port rangeing from 6881 - 6999. I''m on an wirless lan network at home and I have a max DL of 400kbs and up, load of 50kbs, but my Bt downlaods only go to a download of 20kbs and my 50kbs upload.
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 07:33   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK anime seeker
What ever I download I get the yellow dot, even the "every popular" Latest Naruto episode. But from once every three weeks I get the green dot for some unknow reason (Maybe the network gods looked my way and decided to bless me for one computer session, I should start worshiping my machine now ).

Well I've been plagued with the yellow dot problem for ages. I'm currently using BitTornado Version T-0.01 with the port rangeing from 6881 - 6999. I''m on an wirless lan network at home and I have a max DL of 400kbs and up, load of 50kbs, but my Bt downlaods only go to a download of 20kbs and my 50kbs upload.
First off: Cap your upload limit at something like ~45-46KB/s. Anything more and it will affect your download speed negatively. Also, if your rouer supports UPnP, enable it. After that, enable it in BitTornado as well so that your BT client will map the ports on it's own. I don't know if version 0.01 already got that feature, but I'm pretty sure that 0.3.3 has.

Old 2004-07-03, 09:38   Link #11
Zyan

No problem here for a maxonline 1500 user. Max speed is 170kB+. For popular torrents, speeds are usually above 100kB. Of course, there are some strange places where speed slows down to a crawl, eg, the One Piece torrents.

Last edited by Zyan; 2004-07-03 at 09:56.
Zyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 10:35   Link #12
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

if nothing else works, you can try BitComet... I'm on singnet, it worked for me, so maybe it will work for you...

http://www.bitcomet.com/
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 22:30   Link #13
Scy

I am a singaporean also, and I don't have much problems with my download. There ARE some torrents where you will have problems downloading, especially those using Bytemonsoon trackers, but most of the downloads, including the ones from animesuki, should have no problems. Do you have any firewall programs installed in your computer?
Scy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 17:30   Link #14
DigitalisAkujin
Web Developer

Send a message via AIM to DigitalisAkujin Send a message via MSN to DigitalisAkujin
I use Comcast in the states and while on vacation here in Germany I'm using Tiscali.

Speeds for both are:
Comcast: 3 mbit/768kbit
Tiscali: 1 mbit/256kbit

I tried using Bittorrent using Azureaus and it was unbearabely slow so I switched the default port to '50' and suddenly my avarage speed went from 10-20 to 50 - 100.

Try playing with ports is the moral of the story
Old 2004-07-29, 12:01   Link #15
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Most of my problems involve BT torrent trackers using port 80. Starhub Maxonline uses a transparent proxy server on their side which causes problems with these trackers. If you are using Azureus, you can solve this by forcing Azureus to report your real IP directly to the tracker.

However, some older tracker software simply can't work at all even with this workaround.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 06:53   Link #16
limcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
Most of my problems involve BT torrent trackers using port 80. Starhub Maxonline uses a transparent proxy server on their side which causes problems with these trackers. If you are using Azureus, you can solve this by forcing Azureus to report your real IP directly to the tracker.

However, some older tracker software simply can't work at all even with this workaround.
for that, forward the local IP will usually solve the problem.
limcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 14:47   Link #17
losconquistador

Talking

yah i've had to do this to get K-F torrents to work.. quite annoying n i seem to get fewer connections and slower speeds but the light goes green at least.
i'm also on starhub MOL1500

juz to check though, in azureus its juz the "override IP address sent to tracker" option u have to enable right? dun have to bind local IP or anything else?

ta in advance
losconquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 02:49   Link #18
kamij0

Quote:
Originally Posted by div
Hi

Thx
Singaporeans all gather !

anyway, Singapore doesnt block, Singnet does use a program that controls the bandwidth of p2p programs, hence users of singnet 1500 got really pissed off, claiming they were cheated of their bandwidth. Most of the isp does do bandwidth traffic control, but not that much yet, so downloading from p2p is still quite good enuough in singapore... sadly yes .. slower only