AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-26, 15:21   Link #1
tsunami65

Actual up and download speeds.

Due to problems with our ISP, they have been limiting our upload bandwith very severly recently, causing the connection to be dropped.
So I thought I would try running a bandwidth monitor alongside my BT client, to see what the actual speeds were.
Very interesting, the clients reported up and download speeds seem to bare little relationship to the ones reported by the bandwith monitor.
The clients speeds stay fairly constant, changing only over a large amount of time. However, the bandwith monitor gives a different story, showing massive spikes in the upload speed (and causing our ISP to shut off out connection, or at least slow it right down).
Anyone else noticed this?
tsunami65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 15:30   Link #2
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

lol you created three threads lol! XD!
Old 2003-11-26, 15:31   Link #3
Esperchld
Photographer

Yeah, my firewall tells the same basic story. What you have to realise is that your BT client is sending and recieving more information than just download. Also, a large burst followed by a small lighter period will show a misleading number. There will also be times when it is trying to find more peers and seeds, AND establish a connection to them as well. If this happens fast enough it will look like a spike. If you could isolate just the data flowing in/out that is your download, the story might be the same, but you have other variables in it.
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 15:38   Link #4
tsunami65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperchld
Yeah, my firewall tells the same basic story. What you have to realise is that your BT client is sending and recieving more information than just download. Also, a large burst followed by a small lighter period will show a misleading number. There will also be times when it is trying to find more peers and seeds, AND establish a connection to them as well. If this happens fast enough it will look like a spike. If you could isolate just the data flowing in/out that is your download, the story might be the same, but you have other variables in it.
I am also told that BT clients average the speeds and display that information. That would account for the discrepancy.
My only hope is that the problem with the transatlantic fat pipe is fixed soon, and out ISP can stop throttling our upload bandwith.
tsunami65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 15:51   Link #5
Esperchld
Photographer

most average across a given time frame. Not sure what the frame here.
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 19:17   Link #6
Weirdanzeige
Anti-You

you ever download from a group called "anime-xtreme"?...man, that is one f*cked up tracker. My downloads usually rang from 10kB/s-20kB/S and my upload is usually 20-30kB/s.
Weirdanzeige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-26, 20:55   Link #7
Mcgreag
Gunnm junkie

Since then does up and download speed depend on the tracker? It only depends on the seeds and peers. As for upload vs download speed maybe in 1 out of 10 files that I download I get higher download speed then upload speed. The better connection you got the higher upload you will get. I limit the upload to 150kb/s so it's won't go and saturate my 10mbit line (as it will easily do if I don't limit the upload bandwith).
Mcgreag is offline   Reply With Quote