AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 75 63.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 29.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 5.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-27, 15:58   Link #141
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
And what, exactly, has he made up? That Horo was dissatisfied with her situation, but stuck with it because of her debt? That's what Horo right out told him. That she wanted out? Judging by what she told Mark, that, also, is pretty much what she said. Of course, Mark didn't buy it - because he's not a kid in love with Horo, and because he knows Lawrence a lot better. Not to mention, Lawrence was right there, which places the thing in a radically different context. Amati didn't have all those advantages, so he took it in line, hook, and sinker. The worst that can be said about him is that he's gullible, not that he "makes stuff up".
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-07-27, 17:26   Link #142
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Anh_Minh is right in this case, mate. You should blame Horo first for coming with such tale and playing a girl in trouble role well rather than Amiati who is just gullible fool.

I stilll do not like him because of the way he acted later in the novels but not because of the way the whole thing started.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-07-27, 18:46   Link #143
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
I'd forgotten how emotionally taxing this story really is.

I remember when I got to this part of the story it was pretty late at night but when I tried to sleep I failed and gave up after about a half hour to an hour of trying. I ended up reading the whole thing that night, and I just so happened to reach the prologue right when the translator was posting it. Lucky me!
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-07-27, 19:34   Link #144
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Anh_Minh is right in this case, mate. You should blame Horo first for coming with such tale and playing a girl in trouble role well rather than Amiati who is just gullible fool.

I stilll do not like him because of the way he acted later in the novels but not because of the way the whole thing started.
the problem with Horo is that she has getting too accustomed to lawrence. I don't think horo has had much experience dealing with a youngster like Amati before.
golthin is offline  
Old 2009-07-27, 22:29   Link #145
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Im going to have to agree with Anh_Minh. If deconstruct not only this situation but go back and look how they got here this was something that was long in the making. Horo being too comfortable with Lawrence and the fact that maybe she thought she could treat Amati the same way she does Lawrence (cute innocent act) would not have any consequences and she was wrong.

Horo does owe a debt to Lawrence which is a fact and something that yes she should repay. I cant say i would have made the same decision Lawrence did but look at the options he had on the table. You play the cards you have been dealt you make the best hand you can put em down and hope the guy across you has a worse hand.

but theres no point crying over spilled milk everyone has their interpretations
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 00:32   Link #146
Xhokhusmak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Dick move on Lawrence's part on not being honest to Horo ever since the previous episode.

You guys all disgust me.
Xhokhusmak is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 00:46   Link #147
Komitadji
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
Dick move on Lawrence's part on not being honest to Horo ever since the previous episode.

You guys all disgust me.
oh yeah, make Horo panic over third-hand rumours before getting any reliable evidence to confirm them... even the 'witch' lady couldn't say that those events she described definately occurred...

the thing is that perhaps the contents of the letter which Horo managed to read but not Lawrence offered further details on the matter
Komitadji is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 01:22   Link #148
Xhokhusmak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komitadji View Post
oh yeah, make Horo panic over third-hand rumours before getting any reliable evidence to confirm them... even the 'witch' lady couldn't say that those events she described definately occurred...

the thing is that perhaps the contents of the letter which Horo managed to read but not Lawrence offered further details on the matter
Oh no, actually he kinda "offered" to part ways at the town before Yoitsu. He knew about that place before he went to that lady.

lol I guess he didn't wanna deal with that! Great friend.
Xhokhusmak is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 01:38   Link #149
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
He forgot. It happens. Remember that he didn't actually "know" anything.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 02:07   Link #150
Xhokhusmak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
If he had qualms and originally had the idea of letting Horo go on her own for the last stretch of traveling, that should have been his responsibility to inform her of what might've happened, instead of letting her arrive at a devastated hometown alone. Be the bearer of bad news then, or else the consequences are just going to be that much more hurtful when the truth finally comes around, AS YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE NOW.

For me in real life, that's pretty much instant severance of any acquaintance from that person.
Xhokhusmak is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 03:45   Link #151
Mr. Anime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
Oh no, actually he kinda "offered" to part ways at the town before Yoitsu. He knew about that place before he went to that lady.

lol I guess he didn't wanna deal with that! Great friend.
u re wrong, he did that because he would need many months to get from the last town to yoitsu (horo in wolf form needs about 2 days) and he wouldnt be able to gain any profits in that time hence his dream of opening a shop could be over or considerably delayed.

Spoiler for travelling:
Mr. Anime is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 07:10   Link #152
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
Dick move on Lawrence's part on not being honest to Horo ever since the previous episode.

You guys all disgust me.
With a situation as complicated as this why would you put complete trust in 3rd party info? Make Horo panic over information that might not be true in the first place is not wise, not productive and not profitable. Oh and yea he did forget lol
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 09:28   Link #153
FTGT
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
The reason why it is so good is because it follows novels closely, changes very rarely add anything good - look at Valkyria Chronicles it is full of changes but only a very small number of poeple are enjoying it.

So if you want more awesome episodes you'd better pray that they follow novels closely.
Oh.... someone really took my comment seriously. Well, it was actually just meant as a joke (therefore the "Anchorman" link). Of course I dont want them to change anything regarding the storyline.
Although I have to say that I really prefer "Valkyria Chronicles" as it is now (character driven) and not as it is in the game (war-strategy driven).

By rewatching the episode I noticed this scene again. How did Horo manage to come out unharmed?
Spoiler for Horos fall:


Due to the intense finish, people tend to forget how many nice moments we had throughout this episode. Two of my favorite scenes:
Spoiler for Pics:
FTGT is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 11:07   Link #154
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Let begin from the immense impact of the episodes ending ... excellent, my face was almost stuck in front of the screen and volume almost max

What made it even better was the build up during the mid section and in the first two episode and certainly the WTF moment in the beginning when I also thought I missed one episode ... though it was summed up quickly and helped to give more time for the building up to the ending.

All in all, excellent storytelling and an amazing performance from the VA

PS: and the second season has just begun
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 11:43   Link #155
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*´∀`)ノ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dollars
Uu.... Uuu-!

This episode is excellent ! The first few minutes was about the knowledge of economy for me, like trying to gain trust and influence to fellow merchants. And speaking about skyrocketing pyrite's price. . If I remember correctly, did Amati bought a special pyrite stone from the auctions ? If there's only one stone like that in that place, the price of that stone might reached more than 1000 if Amati decided to sell it. Also (CMIIW), by judging at how the merchant said that they gains more profit by selling the pyrite stone, selling that stone will also brings profit to Amati rather than losing it.

I always like this economic stuffs in Spice and Wolf, because I can learn this thing which I didn't learn at school (I'm in science major) . . but. . the emotional stuffs in this episode got me. The things that Horo said to Lawrence somehow pierced my heart when she said it ;_;

I couldn't understand that scene very well though. For me, it was as if Lawrence didn't want to say anything because he didn't think that he could make Horo happy if she travelled with him (I think this is a wrong assumption. . ). I might try to read the novel so I can understand this better. . someday

Maybe after this arc is finished, I will read it
__________________
その光りは、単なる一筋の光りではない。人類の希望を繋いだ。


Von Himmel is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 12:01   Link #156
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGT View Post
Oh.... someone really took my comment seriously. Well, it was actually just meant as a joke (therefore the "Anchorman" link). Of course I dont want them to change anything regarding the storyline.
Although I have to say that I really prefer "Valkyria Chronicles" as it is now (character driven) and not as it is in the game (war-strategy driven).
Well I have pretty bad humour sense so no wonder that your jakes all pass me through unnoticed.

Have you played VC game? If you did then how can you say that the characters where not the drive in it? They were, sure it had focus on strategy as well but it was not the only thing about it and in fact characters in the game were much deeper than the ones in the anime anyway (Alicia, Welkin etc.).
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 14:41   Link #157
puppygod
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Warsaw, PL
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Uu.... Uuu-!

This episode is excellent ! The first few minutes was about the knowledge of economy for me, like trying to gain trust and influence to fellow merchants. And speaking about skyrocketing pyrite's price. . If I remember correctly, did Amati bought a special pyrite stone from the auctions ? If there's only one stone like that in that place, the price of that stone might reached more than 1000 if Amati decided to sell it. Also (CMIIW), by judging at how the merchant said that they gains more profit by selling the pyrite stone, selling that stone will also brings profit to Amati rather than losing it.
(...)
There's nothing special about this pyrite. It's classic economic bubble. That fortune teller sold some overpriced pyrite using some backstory about it's "magical" properties and, in the festive atmosphere, people started buying it. Now people think they can get huge gains buying pyrite (because prices are going up so fast), so they are ready to pay more, and more, and more... The trick is to know when to step back, because when bubble pops, the last person left with pyrite will be the loser.

Amati is just going to milk the situation for the max, using his trading skills and connections. Lawrence could do it too, but he was too busy dancing with Horo to spot the chance... Can't blame him, really.
puppygod is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 15:17   Link #158
FTGT
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Have you played VC game? If you did then how can you say that the characters where not the drive in it? They were, sure it had focus on strategy as well but it was not the only thing about it and in fact characters in the game were much deeper than the ones in the anime anyway (Alicia, Welkin etc.).
You got me. I havent played the game.
Spoiler for probably Valkyria Chronicles spoiler:
FTGT is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 15:17   Link #159
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
So Lawrence was confident that Horo would stay with him regardless of the outcome, and now, the confidence has been shattered in the worst way possible.

I applause this episode, it was excellent. I can't quite give it a 10, but it was nearly perfect.

Lawrence made a grave error leaving the letter with Horo, but she did lie to him about being able to read.

As others have said, Horo's supposed "god-like" aura is fake. She is a lot more fragile than she lets on to others. She really lost her cool and did not really analyze her situation very well. Lawrence's reaction was understandable, since it is easy to feel tongue tied.

But in the end, where can Horo really go. If she really is alone in this world, who else but Lawrence could truly accept her for real? The bond they posses has already taken root and is not that easy to break. I don't believe that she would simply be able to wander and find her own peace elsewhere.

Simple conclusion: Even if it is bittersweet, the relationship will obviously stay intact.

One of the best single episodes of any anime this season so far.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2009-07-28, 15:38   Link #160
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGT View Post
You got me. I havent played the game.
Spoiler for probably Valkyria Chronicles spoiler:
Spoiler for About VC:


Anyway this is Spice and Wolf and not VC.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.