AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-21, 21:21   Link #241
masterkitfisto
king of the black otaku!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
ironicly i was one of these "haters" many people are speaking off...(but take note i was 13 at the time) i was not "fond" of anything about the japan cluture (forgive my spelling errors) i watch the movie peral harbor when i was 12 years old and well....yeah..but i grew up found my first anime &..well here we are now talking about it on a forum..
masterkitfisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 21:42   Link #242
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkitfisto View Post
ironicly i was one of these "haters" many people are speaking off...(but take note i was 13 at the time) i was not "fond" of anything about the japan cluture (forgive my spelling errors) i watch the movie peral harbor when i was 12 years old and well....yeah..but i grew up found my first anime &..well here we are now talking about it on a forum..
--Micheal Bay managed to make you hate the Japanese and not his horrible movie, that's funny...Welcome to the endless world of anime friend, Bay be damned!
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 21:52   Link #243
masterkitfisto
king of the black otaku!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
--Micheal Bay managed to make you hate the Japanese and not his horrible movie, that's funny...Welcome to the endless world of anime friend, Bay be damned!
many blessing to you friend but to defence iv been an "otaku" (for the lack of better word) for many years....it was battleship yamato anime that got me into it..
masterkitfisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 18:47   Link #244
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind you >:)
Age: 17
Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
I have many friends that hate anime but don't really tease people or exclude people that like it.
The thing that REAAALY pisses me off are the over reacting hyper anime fans that know nothing yet preach about it everyday to those who know more that them and keep on showing off.
I met one in camp that kept on bragging about really bad fan art he drew, and kept on saying that he knows everything about anime.
Oh how much I wanted to punch him in the face.
__________________

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 20:50   Link #245
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I actually haven't knowingly encountered too many people off the internet that outright hate anime, but then, I don't talk about anime much off the internet, except usually with people I know that like anime.

From the anti-anime sentiment I've seen on the internet, it tends to come down to one or more of the following...

1) Very attached to American/North American pop culture entertainment; so much so that entertainment that's significantly different from it is simply something they refuse to even give a chance.


2) Have a familiarity with anime, and strongly dislike certain anime tropes. They dislike tsunderes, harem anime male leads, etc... etc... It's a more basic taste issue for them.


3) To some extent... sometimes we anime fans can be our own worst enemies when it comes to how we present anime. I remember reading a debate on another board between a guy who said "You know, I don't know how you can find cartoon pictures to be sexually arousing", and then a few anime fans basically said to him "Come on... you know you find it sexy too!", and... those anime fans wouldn't let up. They didn't just defend their own approach to the pictures which would have been one thing - they repeatedly insisted that he too must find them sexy like they did.

I see this a lot with some anime fans - it's incomprehensible to these particular anime fans that their sexual tastes (in, say, Eiken-sized breasts) isn't universally shared. It's like they're downright offended by the very notion that you don't share their particular taste in sexual imagery, and that your tastes must be the same as theirs. It's obnoxious, frankly, and I've personally seen more than a few people rubbed the wrong way by it, which no doubt hurts the image of anime and anime fans for those people.


I actually haven't seen many people come down on anime simply for being "a cartoon". Actually, the last time I introduced anime to someone not familiar with it, they commented "this Japanese animation is a lot better than our (i.e. North American) cartoons; it's much more fluid and realistic".
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 20:19   Link #246
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 33
It boils down to the fact that people sometimes think a person over the age of 13 who likes anime is a lolicon, or an idiot for consuming 'formulaic' media. I just don't mention I like anime anymore, much easier that way
__________________

"L'enfer, c'est les autres." - Jean-Paul Sartre
http://bathcat.muxtape.com/
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 20:36   Link #247
Wervy
Cutely Pervy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I really think most of the hate would disapear if more and more series didnt turn to blantant fanservice and lolicon. It seems that over the last 10 years good anime has been replaced with pedo bait like Strike Witches.

In high school anime would attract interest and actulay help me meet people. These days almost no one knows I still watch it because of the lack of anything I would admit watching for fear of being seen as a pedo.
__________________
Wervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 00:46   Link #248
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
I don't think I've ever been hated for liking anime, but I usually don't talk about it around non-fans because I worry that people won't "get it". I actually find myself wishing I had a wider range of hobbies just so that I had more stuff to discuss with non fans - computers and political science don't really cut it, since the former is too technical for general discussion and I tend to find the latter gets many people too worked up.

That said, I do get quite a bit of flak from certain quarters of the anime fandom for being a moe fan even when I make it incredibly clear that I'm not a lolicon. For whatever reason, there's a certain segment of the anime fanbase who pretty much writes off anything that tries to appeal in the slightest to moe fans as crap, then bitterly complain about how much modern anime sucks. Of course, if I ask them if they've watched any of the shows I think are awesome, their answer will usually be no - sometimes even if the show doesn't try and appeal to the moe demographic. Needless to say, these people are one of my least favourite things about the anime fandom.

(Part of what makes them so annoying is that it takes me quite a bit of thought to actually explain why I like moe... way too much thought to actually be able to give a reasonable defense when these guys rant about how moe is ruining everything and how shitty shows with it are. Particularly when they actually use adjectives like "shit" to describe a show... that doesn't really tell me what they dislike so I can come up with a counterpoint.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wervy
I really think most of the hate would disapear if more and more series didnt turn to blantant fanservice and lolicon. It seems that over the last 10 years good anime has been replaced with pedo bait like Strike Witches.

In high school anime would attract interest and actulay help me meet people. These days almost no one knows I still watch it because of the lack of anything I would admit watching for fear of being seen as a pedo.
I find this statement a bit strange.

I mean yeah, there's a lot more loli stuff out there than there used to be, but very few non-fans and casual fans are aware of that - it tends to be mid to high level anime fans who complain about it. And even after filtering such material out, I still have a pretty massive list of shows I could show casual fans and newbies. In recent months I've had pretty good luck with showing people things like Eden of the East and Denpa Teki na Kanojo, for instance.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 11:21   Link #249
miscs
Flying Dumb-ass
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wervy View Post
I really think most of the hate would disapear if more and more series didnt turn to blantant fanservice and lolicon. It seems that over the last 10 years good anime has been replaced with pedo bait like Strike Witches.

In high school anime would attract interest and actulay help me meet people. These days almost no one knows I still watch it because of the lack of anything I would admit watching for fear of being seen as a pedo.
I think this statement encapsulates what most non-anime fans beleive: Anime = Hentai. I have came across this logic on numerous occasions, and we anime fans are doing little to combat such a stereotype. I'm not going to lie, I don't discuss anime with people I have just met. I fear that this distaste towards anime will damage the chance of a future relationship.
*Sigh*, but who am I kidding. My shyness means I rarely talk to new people. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert at something I'm not, but I digress.

I don't think there are many people with an irrational hatred towards anime fans, but I do think most people are misinformed about what anime actually is.
miscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 16:22   Link #250
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscs View Post
I think this statement encapsulates what most non-anime fans beleive: Anime = Hentai. I have came across this logic on numerous occasions, and we anime fans are doing little to combat such a stereotype.
Agreed. This is actually more or less what I thought anime was back in the early part of this decade before I became an anime fan... and it's why I had little interest in anime at the time. Then my cousin, and one of his internet friends, introduced me to a bunch of excellent 90s anime, most of which had little sexual fanservice and excellent plots and stories. Later on, I watched a few more recent animes that gave me the same impression.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 16:38   Link #251
miscs
Flying Dumb-ass
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed. This is actually more or less what I thought anime was back in the early part of this decade before I became an anime fan... and it's why I had little interest in anime at the time. Then my cousin, and one of his internet friends, introduced me to a bunch of excellent 90s anime, most of which had little sexual fanservice and excellent plots and stories. Later on, I watched a few more recent animes that gave me the same impression.
Most of my friends have the anime = hentai mindset. Its kind of sad because they are missing out on a great medium.
miscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 19:48   Link #252
JoeStoppable
I'm Unstoppable
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cali
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to JoeStoppable
Its true that people still think of anime today as grossly violent, panty shot nose bleeding like sex filled cartoons, but its much more accepted now than it was before. Also I think that with anime fans being hated on, is due to the fact that the more common anime fan kinda goes overboard when at con's. Like myself, I always make sure that my group who goes with me acts a certain way. We need to make sure we are good ambassadors of anime. And if the general people see us screaming running around acting stupid, and yelling out random stuff here and there, it gives us a bad image. Now i'm not saying people can't do that kinda stuff, but people need to understand that when they are doing it outside, they are being watched and they are being judged constantly. And anime wont be accepted into society if stuff like this continues. I'm just saying to calm down, and than once your inside with the rest of the anime community, than go wild. Like we are always helping people at con's who are just getting into anime, and those kinda people get turned off when they see people running and screaming and jumping on other people for no reason (glomping). Either ways, in my opinion thats why there are still haters of today.
__________________
JoeStoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 20:37   Link #253
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStoppable View Post
Its true that people still think of anime today as grossly violent, panty shot nose bleeding like sex filled cartoons, but its much more accepted now than it was before.
I don't think that it's accepted as much as it's simply ignored by non-fans.

For example, I recently watched an on-line review of the DC comic series Countdown by somewhat famous on-line reviewer Linkara.

Link: http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com...s/linkara/at4w

In it, Linkara showed displeasure with DC comics' artwork choice to show a Mary Marvel panty-shot... arguing that it shouldn't be done with a teenaged heroine character. I could only imagine what Linkara would make of anime then...

A friend of Linkara's, the equally popular video game reviewer Spoony, made a scathing comment about anime fans during one of his FF 8 reviews - he said to anime fans in general "Dudes, you really got to start policing your own - some of this hentai you're putting out there is truly disgusting." (paraphrasing here).

Link: http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/2009...matters-house/

These guys aren't internet small fry - they're associated with the Nostalgia Critic, who in turn has a huge rivalry with the Angry Video Game Nerd (I hope I don't need to provide info on these two particular guys). Both enjoy a significant following. They don't strike me as prudish either (Spoony certainly isn't).

There's no question, in my mind, that the unfortunate (and somewhat or largely false) perception that anime = hentai hurts the perception of anime and anime fans.


Quote:
Also I think that with anime fans being hated on, is due to the fact that the more common anime fan kinda goes overboard when at con's. Like myself, I always make sure that my group who goes with me acts a certain way. We need to make sure we are good ambassadors of anime. And if the general people see us screaming running around acting stupid, and yelling out random stuff here and there, it gives us a bad image. Now i'm not saying people can't do that kinda stuff, but people need to understand that when they are doing it outside, they are being watched and they are being judged constantly. And anime wont be accepted into society if stuff like this continues. I'm just saying to calm down, and than once your inside with the rest of the anime community, than go wild. Like we are always helping people at con's who are just getting into anime, and those kinda people get turned off when they see people running and screaming and jumping on other people for no reason (glomping). Either ways, in my opinion thats why there are still haters of today.
This is a factor; I don't think that it's the main factor, but it is a factor.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 22:26   Link #254
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

A friend of Linkara's, the equally popular video game reviewer Spoony, made a scathing comment about anime fans during one of his FF 8 reviews - he said to anime fans in general "Dudes, you really got to start policing your own - some of this hentai you're putting out there is truly disgusting." (paraphrasing here).

Link: http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/2009...matters-house/
That ff8 review was hilarious. I just finished watching it. But a lot of it is tongue in cheek and shouldn't be taken too seriously. This start of this page would clear up a lot of things. http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/dean-loves-anime/
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 04:56   Link #255
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia.
Age: 6
There's gonna be someone out there who hates what you like, regardless of what it is.

Why do you care that people don't like what you like? Being able to handle stuff like that is called communicative ability, social skills.
__________________
Zenemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 12:47   Link #256
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkitfisto View Post
ironicly i was one of these "haters" many people are speaking off...(but take note i was 13 at the time) i was not "fond" of anything about the japan cluture (forgive my spelling errors) i watch the movie peral harbor when i was 12 years old and well....yeah..but i grew up found my first anime &..well here we are now talking about it on a forum..
Do yourself a favor and rent "Tora Tora Tora" to watch, its old but does a fair job of presenting the conundrum facing both the US and Japan ... "Pearl Harbor" was pig offal in terms of telling a historical event - everything was just window dressing for a banal love triangle emo-fest.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 15:39   Link #257
Langknow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: www.youtube.com/langknow
I haven't really met anyone who hated anime or people who like anime. Maybe it's a Toronto thing.

Anime to me is like any other media like movies, or books. I tell people i like anime all the time, and all of them understand.
__________________
Check out my other Japanese song covers at:

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.