AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-07-29, 20:54   Link #1
encoderlord

mkv2vfr not working

okay... so i have a vfr mp4 file that i want to encode to x264 and add an ass script to. the only problem is, it is vfr, so i need a timecodes file. since i couldnt find anything else that could write timecode files, i decided i would use mkv2vfr from the haali matroskasplitter package. so, because mkv2vfr requires an mkv, i muxed the mp4s audio and video into an mkv using mkvmerge. next, i fired up command prompt, navigated to the matroskasplitter directory(which i had already copied my input mkv into) and typed the following: mkv2vfr "input.mkv" "output.avi" "timecodes.txt". as expected, the window freezes for a while as mkv2vfr works. however, when it stops, there is no output.avi nor timecodes.txt file anywhere. i need help as to why mkv2vfr is not producing the output files i need, and how to resolve this issue.

NOTE: i can also use ffmpegsource2, i have it installed, but i cannot seem to get it working, so if someone could post an example script/syntax example that would be great.

thanks in advance
encoderlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 10:28   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by encoderlord View Post
NOTE: i can also use ffmpegsource2, i have it installed, but i cannot seem to get it working, so if someone could post an example script/syntax example that would be great.

thanks in advance
what do you mean by "can't get it working"? error messages? what happens?

Code:
ffvideosource("E:/blah/example.mp4", timecodes="E:/blah/timecodes.txt")
and load that in avsp or vdub or whatever
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 12:40   Link #3
Blanchimont

You want the timecodes file for the mp4?

It should be possible with mkvtoolnix, provided you have mkvextract included...

Did a following test;

Took first random mp4 file I could find (not vfr though, cfr (23.9))

muxed it with mkvmerge to mkv

extracted the video with mkvextract ("Options/Tabs/Timecode" ticked)

> resulted in a raw .h264 file and a timecodes file (v2, txt) been added to the directory with the mp4/mkv

Now checked the timecode by muxing both with mkvmerge to mkv
(mkvmerge throws a warning that framerate not set for the raw stream, ignored because we have the timecodes file, chosen in the Timecodes prompt)

> resulting file has the length of 23.41 min, exactly the same as the inputted mp4
Also played both (mkv and mp4) side by side just to see if there were discrepansies, there weren't.
Also muxing the timecodes with the original mp4 caused no discrepancies.

...so if you have mkvmerge(mkvtoolnix) you should already have all tools to get the timecodes for the mp4, perhaps with addition of mkvextract as I can't remember if that was added by default in the package...

But I guess TheFluff's method is shorter. Can't promise either that the above method would work in all cases...

Last edited by Blanchimont; 2009-07-30 at 13:31.
Blanchimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 14:26   Link #4
encoderlord

thanks everyone. i realized after reading thefluff's post that i simply had the syntax wrong so it should work fine now. also i never new that mkvextract could get timecodes as well so that is another option for me to try. hopefully one of these methods will work for me and if not then i will post back here. again thanks for the prompt and helpful response.
encoderlord is offline   Reply With Quote