AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-22, 23:25   Link #101
durack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I honestly don't like what the anime did with the characters.

Game Welkin was eccentric.
Anime Welkin is a social retard.
durack is offline  
Old 2009-06-28, 01:39   Link #102
KiraYamatoFan
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
I honestly don't like what the anime did with the characters.

Game Welkin was eccentric.
Anime Welkin is a social retard.
I agree. This is getting ridiculous for Welkin's character and I still wonder how this version of Welkin manages to be a good commander since he looks like a big zero in social skills.
KiraYamatoFan is offline  
Old 2009-06-28, 13:16   Link #103
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I agree. This is getting ridiculous for Welkin's character and I still wonder how this version of Welkin manages to be a good commander since he looks like a big zero in social skills.
That he is. At least in the game you can understand how he became commander, and how they've come as far as they have...
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 03:55   Link #104
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K
Age: 26
I'm failing to understand what the problem with Welkin is. Calling him a social retard is a joke, he gets on well with everyone and the problem that has arisen is becuse he doesn't want to lose his friends. To me there seems little difference in his game and anime personality and perhaps the problems you guys are bringing up is just because the anime is making any Alicia x Welkin development a more bumpy ride and adding a bit more drama to it. If it was straight forward and less dramatized they would have to focus on the battles a lot more which really lack enough depth to maintain a series for 26 episodes.
__________________
The only way to live a good life is to follow your emotions.
Sun Shine is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 04:30   Link #105
KiraYamatoFan
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Shine View Post
I'm failing to understand what the problem with Welkin is. Calling him a social retard is a joke, he gets on well with everyone and the problem that has arisen is becuse he doesn't want to lose his friends. To me there seems little difference in his game and anime personality and perhaps the problems you guys are bringing up is just because the anime is making any Alicia x Welkin development a more bumpy ride and adding a bit more drama to it. If it was straight forward and less dramatized they would have to focus on the battles a lot more which really lack enough depth to maintain a series for 26 episodes.
Red card, pal!

Have you watched the same stuff as we did? As I wrote in the episode 18 thread, these foolish writers are overexposing Faldio for nothing (except making all his fangirls getting wet over him) at the total expense of Welkin's character who has gone downhill a huge lot compared to his game counterpart. There's a difference between adapting material to make anime and changing all things for the worse.

Watch all episodes over and over again, and you'll see the kind of grotesque spineless wimp he has become while Welkin from the game had more than enough to stand for himself on every ground. If you wanted drama with the love triangle, better it would have been if Welkin remained as he was in the game while Faldio gets jealous to the point of straining their friendship little by little and finally betraying Welkin out of jealousy.

Should the scriptwriter from the original game was given full authority as they did for Final Fantasy VII (game + Advent Children), there's no way we'd have trouble with Welkin's character as much as for everything else around.
KiraYamatoFan is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 04:47   Link #106
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K
Age: 26
The only reason he is wimpering is because he is caught between his own feelings and him being a good friend which is not the case within the game because the situations with Faldio and Alicia did not arise. He is trying to do what he thinks is right considering his position. His character has not gone downhill at all but this is a matter of opinion, I believe his character has been added a bit more realism and is a little easier to connect to.

If they were exact to the game the anime would struggle to run for 26 episodes without having to prolong things out.

I don't get your point about FFAC as I didn;t really enjoy it because the characters weren't panned out well but again like most things its all about opinions.
__________________
The only way to live a good life is to follow your emotions.
Sun Shine is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 05:42   Link #107
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
No, the anime Welkin is much harder to connect to. He doesn't take good decisions; as a matter of fact he doesn't take any decisions at all.

In the game he might have been an eccentric, but he was a lead character that acted like a lead. Right now in the anime he's just as irritating as Shinji was in eva.

Well it's a matter of taste I guess. I like my leads to have a strong character.
don_Durandal is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 06:52   Link #108
kalbron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Spineless wimps as leads have a market, otherwise they wouldn't be at saturation levels in manga & anime.

My problem arises when characters with spines have theirs forcibly removed through their rectum. That tends to make the character collapse into a useless pile of flesh.
kalbron is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 07:23   Link #109
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
No, the anime Welkin is much harder to connect to. He doesn't take good decisions; as a matter of fact he doesn't take any decisions at all.

In the game he might have been an eccentric, but he was a lead character that acted like a lead. Right now in the anime he's just as irritating as Shinji was in eva.

Well it's a matter of taste I guess. I like my leads to have a strong character.
My point as well. Just that Shinji had more character depth, even though you still dislike him you can at least understand him, while anime Welkin is a shallow character that is hard to connect to.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 11:02   Link #110
Velsy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
come on now, no throwing insults, surely his not a retart.

Sure his not very good at expressing himself. Heh he even got nervious when him and Alicia wered trapped together in a cabin. They were stuck together and Alicia wanted to cuddle him or something similar and he sorta paniced. But put him on a battlefield and he'd produce tactical advantages, or by a stream and he'd talk about his trouts all day long.

It just seems his been created differently to the game. Alot more behind the seens showing. A side maybe that wasnt shown in the game. Yous have made your point but, Welkin A is better than Welkin B as Valkyria Gamers. But yous shouldnt really be so harsh on char
__________________

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 12:37   Link #111
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Spineless wimps as leads have a market, otherwise they wouldn't be at saturation levels in manga & anime.

My problem arises when characters with spines have theirs forcibly removed through their rectum. That tends to make the character collapse into a useless pile of flesh.
I hate spineless wimps as leads anyway. HATE them. I can never relate and $heit down their necks.

But this... ripping out the spines of those leads who do have them. That is an unforgivable offense that should be punishable by death.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-08-02, 14:40   Link #112
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
come on now, no throwing insults, surely his not a retart.

Sure his not very good at expressing himself. Heh he even got nervious when him and Alicia wered trapped together in a cabin. They were stuck together and Alicia wanted to cuddle him or something similar and he sorta paniced. But put him on a battlefield and he'd produce tactical advantages, or by a stream and he'd talk about his trouts all day long.

It just seems his been created differently to the game. Alot more behind the seens showing. A side maybe that wasnt shown in the game. Yous have made your point but, Welkin A is better than Welkin B as Valkyria Gamers. But yous shouldnt really be so harsh on char
Why not? Does it hurt you or something? If it doesn't then I don't see the point of telling that the pile of crap is something else.

I am just stating what I see - anime Welkin is a failure as a character in general, not just the lead.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-08-03, 01:23   Link #113
Velsy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Why not? Does it hurt you or something? If it doesn't then I don't see the point of telling that the pile of crap is something else.

I am just stating what I see - anime Welkin is a failure as a character in general, not just the lead.
No not really, Just dont understand how people can throw words like retart and social joke over an anime. Maybe I just new to all this anime hatred stuff. Is this type of stuff common ?

If only the mods made a Valkyria hatred and insult thread , maybe many of us who is liking the anime wouldnt have to read it and listen to offensive words splatted out.

This place has too much negativity and drama which never seems to end from the gamers. *only because its isnt exactly like the game* Maybe other people will understand.
__________________

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2009-08-03 at 01:41.
Velsy is offline  
Old 2009-08-03, 01:37   Link #114
KiraYamatoFan
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
In any way, nobody can't just stand there watching our favorite male protagonist being butchered by some fools who don't even understand what it means to remain faithful to a character's nature from a previous work.

That's all we blame for what Welkin has become because of these fools. It would have been better if the studio hired the original scriptwriter from the game. When somebody already made success in something, don't change a winning combination. I don't know whether or not they kept the same writer in the staff, but if so I feel he's not given full authority to keep most things faithful (especially the characters).
KiraYamatoFan is offline  
Old 2009-08-03, 02:05   Link #115
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Velsy, ah I see - you are one of those who put the tag 'only because its isn't exactly like the game' over complains not bothering to read them and feel very wise.

The problem is not the change - the problem is that the change is inferior to what it was before. Do you really think there would be as many complaints if Welkin had depth or if Faldio/Welkin's relationship turn into drama and betrayal? Not really, it would still differ from the game but if it makes characters as deep as the were in the game or even better I really doubt you wold be reading as many complaints and insults as you are now.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-08-03, 04:51   Link #116
Velsy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Is it because the anime version of welkin is given a weakness ?
or is what you saying is he is inferior in *all* aspects.

People can dislike chars or so, but I dont think namecalling and such will make things any better which is kinda why I posted.

a question, The game Welkin supose to be a dauntless/heroic character who stands out alot. Its that why hes not well liked of his underdogish way/nature in the anime.
__________________

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline  
Old 2009-08-03, 05:33   Link #117
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
He is not an anime Faldio if you ask that (meaning he is not perfect), he has his own issues and is not very good at showing emotions as well, but he is not as socially retarded as anime Welkin is and is not afraid of his feelings as well. He is not a bad-ass superhero - a simple young man a who does not like the wars but knows what he has to do and will do it. He knows what relationship is and can read between the lines (though can struggle because of his irks).

Basically game Welkin is an adult with some issues and some irks, but he can deal it situation like adult should (he does not run away from things) - anime Welkin is a mental infantile living out his school-life drama in the war-field and running away like an emo lead he is.

I think it is more interesting to watch troubled adult rather than whiny teenager, as it gives character more depth, than just being generic emo.

And I am not name calling - I am just stating a fact - Welkin is a social retard.

The only times when I was name calling was when caled him an irritated puddle of piss and when called Faldio shit-haired pervert. I don't mean a retard as a name calling, I am just tryig to express a particular incapability of a character and 'retard' does describe it the best.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-08-03, 05:52   Link #118
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K
Age: 26
He's not running away from anything. He is holding back his feelings by trying to be a good friend and if you are partly referring to the latest episode that is one of the ways that situation hits people, I have seen many an adult act in a similar manner in the same situation. He is still the same bug loving, master tactician he was in the game but with a wider variety of emotions and a deeper character. To sum it up is your reason for disliking his character because he is not reciprocating Alicia's feelings towards him, believing he is doing what is best for his friend?
__________________
The only way to live a good life is to follow your emotions.
Sun Shine is offline  
Old 2009-08-03, 06:15   Link #119
kalbron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Shallower character.

He was a mature person with mature emotions in the game. Regressing him to a 15 year old emo in love doesn't make for deeper characterisation.

Besides which, only a person with no self respect, and no brain, would believe the best thing to do in a situation where he likes a girl, the girl likes him, and his best friend likes the girl is to give up on her. That only causes pain all round, as the girl is unlikely to hook up with the friend, the guy will hurt from not having the girl, and the friend may decide to blame the guy for the fact the girl's not interested.

I used to believe in emo-style "I want my beloved to be happy" crud as well. When I was 16. Now that I'm older I see that it's stupid.

Better to go for it and smooth relations over with the friend. If they can be seperated by a single woman, then it wasn't much of a friendship to begin with and would have broken on something minor sooner or later at any rate.
kalbron is offline  
Old 2009-08-03, 06:31   Link #120
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K
Age: 26
He never knew Alicia liked him in that manner until the episode just aired where he was dealing with the death of his sister :/ which discards your third and fourth paragraph. Besides the situations Welkin has seen between Alicia and Faldio would lead him to believe that Alicia may way well like Faldio.

Shallower character for taking the game character and only adding other sides to it? hmmm. Please may someone who hates the anime character make a list of what they have taken away from his character or what has made him weaker?
__________________
The only way to live a good life is to follow your emotions.
Sun Shine is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.