AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-07, 23:31   Link #1
a7m4

MAZIIING GO! (Mazinger Z)

Thank you to TV-Nihon and Wolf Pack Productions for subbing this classic title. This has completely made my day. I can't wait until my download finishes.

Let the discussion commence!
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 23:55   Link #2
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

Mazinger Z and Tranzor Z is one and the same, right?
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 00:18   Link #3
Fronzel
Schmuck

So I hear. Tranzor Z was the name of the American version I know nothing about.

I'm rather interested. The antagonist is "Dr. Hell," right? That's very entertaining on its own right there.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 00:52   Link #4
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

This is awesome... now if only Voltes V came out as well.... thanks to those groups for releasing Mazinger Z!
Old 2004-07-08, 09:19   Link #5
Hisoka Hajime
City Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Hisoka Hajime
Masterforce and Mazinger Z in the same week? Thanks a lot Wolf Pack Productions and TV-Nihon! I wasn't at all shocked about this release though since I heard Anime-Classic talking about this joint project. I was really hopeing you guys would continue when I heard they weren't doing it anymore and sure enough you did. I also can't wait to see some Headmasters, but thanks again and keep up the great work.
Hisoka Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 10:57   Link #6
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Baron Ashura rules over all.

I can't wait for the next episode.
Invoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 11:29   Link #7
Blaat

Show is really a classic, I was impressed by the first episode

Gotta love the bad guys, Dr.Hell and Baron Ashura
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 11:54   Link #8
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Mazzinger Z was among the very first action anime that we had in México.

It was the year 1986-1987 when the show finally aired on Mexican TV's.

I was about 6-7 years about the time, and I loved the show and still loves it.
I had the chance to watch the first 7 OVA chapters of Mazinkaiser last year.

Mazinger Z's popularity was so much unprecedented here in México that it became a theme of topic and fashion among the culture population.

All three Mazinger Z's movies were brought and released on theaters, and I managed to see them on the silver screen.

I clearly recalled the last episode, warning spoilers ahead.
Spoiler:

Guess I should not download the torrents because Mazinger Z was licensed in México, my country, but it was almost 20 years ago.

Does a TV network or Licensing company has a time limit expiration to an anime's license or distribution rights for that show to be comercially released or broadcasted within a geographical region, unless they are renewed?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 17:04   Link #9
Hokuto

As far as I'm aware, there's a statute of limitations on most licenses. I believe the ones for Mexico and America expired years ago.

I am truly amazed at how they managed to mangle nearly every single word of the Japanese lyrics to "Theme of Z" into something completely and entirely wrong and incomprehensible.

Translating "Tekkamen" as "Two-faced man", "Aegan Sea" as "Eege Sea", "Staff of Bardos" as "this wand" twice... They might want to try getting a translator who knows how to look up words they don't understand instead of filling in the blanks with random crap.

This is a shame, because Mazinger Z is such a great show, and deserves so much better than what it's getting here. I'll gladly post corrected lyrics to Theme of Z if they'll just use them instead of that horrible version they have.
Hokuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 17:37   Link #10
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokuto
As far as I'm aware, there's a statute of limitations on most licenses. I believe the ones for Mexico and America expired years ago.

I am truly amazed at how they managed to mangle nearly every single word of the Japanese lyrics to "Theme of Z" into something completely and entirely wrong and incomprehensible.

Translating "Tekkamen" as "Two-faced man", "Aegan Sea" as "Eege Sea", "Staff of Bardos" as "this wand" twice... They might want to try getting a translator who knows how to look up words they don't understand instead of filling in the blanks with random crap.

This is a shame, because Mazinger Z is such a great show, and deserves so much better than what it's getting here. I'll gladly post corrected lyrics to Theme of Z if they'll just use them instead of that horrible version they have.

My how contructivly nice you are. The only problem was it was a little to literal. The translation was fine. We had two translators go over it. One who has been translating for 10 years. There were a couple issues about the way Kyouji talks. all will be fixed in ep2. The op seemed fine to those that checked it over.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 18:06   Link #11
Hokuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
My how contructivly nice you are. The only problem was it was a little to literal. The translation was fine. We had two translators go over it. One who has been translating for 10 years. There were a couple issues about the way Kyouji talks. all will be fixed in ep2. The op seemed fine to those that checked it over.
That's very nice, but Z no Theme is the song in the middle, not the op. The op and ed were actually pretty nicely done, aside from a couple of typos. Here are the lyrics to Theme of Z:

人の命は尽きるとも
Hito no inochi wa tsukiru tomo
Even if people's lives come to an end

不滅の力 マジンガーZ
Fumetsu no chikara, Mazinger Z
The indestructable power, Mazinger Z

争い絶えないこの世の中に
Arasoi taenai kono yo no naka ni
In this world of endless conflict

幸せ求めて悪を撃つ
Shiawase motomete aku o utsu
Seeking happiness, it beats Evil

人の頭脳を加えたときに
Hito no zunou o kuwaeta toki ni
When combined with a person's brain

マジンガーZ マジンガーZ
Mazinger Z, Mazinger Z

お前こそ 未来をもたらす
Omae koso mirai o motarasu
You will bring about our future!

I got those from spending 5 minutes doing a Yahoo search for the official lyrics, then another 15 minutes romanizing them and putting them in English. This is not a Herculean endeavor.

And for future reference, "Tekkamen butai" is "Iron mask brigade", not two-faced man. EEGE is the Japanese way of writing Aegan. These are fairly common terms in the series, which is why I point them out.

Last edited by Hokuto; 2004-07-08 at 18:22.
Old 2004-07-08, 18:21   Link #12
Jilkon
SD Translator

I survived the small errors and enjoyed watching this first episode of greatness ^^. I like to see where all the coolness of today came from.. I have one tiny concern about the story though. The way it seems from my point of view (not having seen more than ep1 and played a few super robot wars games) it'll be an anime with like one monster per episode and mazinger z coming out on top all the time.
Jilkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 18:25   Link #13
Hokuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilkon
I have one tiny concern about the story though. The way it seems from my point of view (not having seen more than ep1 and played a few super robot wars games) it'll be an anime with like one monster per episode and mazinger z coming out on top all the time.
Sort of. The usual formula, from what I understand, is:

New monster comes out
Mazinger Z goes out to fight it
Monster beats up Mazinger Z
Mazinger Z is put in a tight spot
Aphrodite A and Boss Borot hold down the fort while they devise a strategy
Mazinger Z comes back with a new strategy or creative idea and beats Monster
Everyone lives happily ever after, Baron Ashura gets yelled at by Dr Hell

Spoiler:

Last edited by Hokuto; 2004-07-08 at 18:44.
Old 2004-07-08, 18:30   Link #14
DekaMaster
Banned

Thank you for your input. We are just very excited about this series and want to make it the best we can. We will be fixing up ep1.
Old 2004-07-08, 19:22   Link #15
ZeroKun

Hell I didn't even see these mistypes/mistranslations, i was in awe at this series :P TV-Nihon owns
ZeroKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 19:34   Link #16
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God

Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilkon
I have one tiny concern about the story though. The way it seems from my point of view (not having seen more than ep1 and played a few super robot wars games) it'll be an anime with like one monster per episode and mazinger z coming out on top all the time.
There's nothing wrong with an anime were the hero always wins. Especially if the hero has a giant metal robot. That shoots laser from it's eyes.

Yeah.
Invoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 19:57   Link #17
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKun
Hell I didn't even see these mistypes/mistranslations, i was in awe at this series :P TV-Nihon owns

So does Wolf pack produtions
Old 2004-07-09, 18:23   Link #18
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Yay for old shows

To whomever translated this: エーゲ海 = Aegean Sea, not 'Eege Sea'

-Tofu

Edit: Woops, should have read the thread and saw someone else pointed this out
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 22:42   Link #19
Fronzel
Schmuck

Somewhat off-topic, but Right Stuf is selling both discs of the fairly recent "Mazinkaiser" OVA for only $7.99 each right now. It's a weekly special, so hop to it if you're interested in a better animated Mazinger.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 00:54   Link #20
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Mazinger Z is a series even my mom knows since she used to watch it with me when I was a very little kid. The OP/ED songs sounded oddly familiar, even though I have probably forgotten them from when I was little. I must say, this is great... very good choice in picking up a new show.

That aside, I noticed there were a few missing lines during the episode (as well as a few mistranslations). I was wondering if the noisy audio was a bit distracting in hearing what was being said. I was hoping you guys could check over it a bit more, although I must say there's nothing too important being missed in the dialog... since it's not some philosophical treat. Heh...

Great choice, good work. Carry on!
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote