AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-05, 16:22   Link #1
zaR

Help with finding an anime I would enjoy

Hello! I'm pretty much new here, so if there's a specific forum for these sort of things, I apologize for posting in the wrong forum.

A friend of mine has recently awoken my interest in anime (as a matter of fact, just one month ago, I would have said that anime was something I would never enjoy) with Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Since then I have searched for more anime I would enjoy. This has not been easy, mostly I've been using anidb.net, searched for the series I like and looking at the tags for them and look for animes with the same tags. It just hit me that I could ask someone, and I happened to remember this forum which I occasionally lurk in the Suzumiya Haruhi forum.

Anyway, I've watched and enjoyed (some more than others):

Azumanga Daioh!
This was insanely awesome, I enoyed every second of this one, not a dull moment.
Favourite Characters:
1. Tomo-chan
2. Kagura-san
3. Sakaki-san

Fullmetal Alchemist
Read the manga, checked out the anime. I really kept watching it because of the humour. And awesomeness.
Favourite Characters:
1. Winry Rockbell
2. 1st Lieutenant Hawkeye
3. Major Alex Luis Armstrong
4. Roy Mustang

*Kiss x Sis (^^")
OK, this one was not what I thought, turns out I didn't read through the description too well... Still though, I enjoy it. Not so much because of the borderline hentai, I keep watching it because of Riko-chan.
Favourite Characters:
1. Riko-chan

*K-On!
Found this myself, and I'm glad I did, enjoyed it. It was a cute and funny anime, and as I am interested in music and play the guitar (although not that well.)
Favourite Characters:
1. Akiyama Mio-chan
2. Azu-nyan
3. Ritsu

Love Hina
The same guy that recommended Haruhi recommended this. And I love it. Feels like he pretty much knows me ^^
Favourite Characters:
1. Kitsune
2. Shinobu
3. Naru

*Lucky Star
Found this myself, in my search of cuteness. Seems I found it. This one, I enjoyed because of the randomness.
Favourite Characters:
1. Kagami
2. Minami
3. Konata

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
The moment I saw the first episode, I was hooked. I absolutely love this series (even through the current storyline), and I will continue to love this.
Favourite Characters:
1. Suzumiya
2. Nagato Yuki
3. Kyon-ko
4. Kyon

The ones marked with an asterix I found by myself, the others was recommended to me. All of these, I enjoyed a lot, some I haven't even finished.

I hoped that maybe some of you would help me with finding an anime (or seven) that I would enjoy. I realize I haven't given that much information on why I enjoy these animes/characters (I tried but it was pretty awkward, so I skipped it.), but maybe their general traits might give you some clue.

Sorry for bothering you, Thank you in advance.
Old 2009-08-05, 16:56   Link #2
Sasano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaR View Post
Hello! I'm pretty much new here, so if there's a specific forum for these sort of things, I apologize for posting in the wrong forum.

A friend of mine has recently awoken my interest in anime (as a matter of fact, just one month ago, I would have said that anime was something I would never enjoy) with Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Since then I have searched for more anime I would enjoy. This has not been easy, mostly I've been using anidb.net, searched for the series I like and looking at the tags for them and look for animes with the same tags. It just hit me that I could ask someone, and I happened to remember this forum which I occasionally lurk in the Suzumiya Haruhi forum.

The ones marked with an asterix I found by myself, the others was recommended to me. All of these, I enjoyed a lot, some I haven't even finished.

I hoped that maybe some of you would help me with finding an anime (or seven) that I would enjoy. I realize I haven't given that much information on why I enjoy these animes/characters (I tried but it was pretty awkward, so I skipped it.), but maybe their general traits might give you some clue.

Sorry for bothering you, Thank you in advance.
Seems you are mostly into Slice of Life, just gonna recommend a few "must watch"

CLANNAD -slice of life/Romance (10/10)
School Rumble - Slice of life/Comedy
Great Teacher Onizuka - Slice of Life/Comedy
Welcome to the NHK - Slice of Life/Comedy
Hajime no Ippo - Sports/Shounen

A few freebies:
Black Lagoon - Action/Drama
Desert Punk - Action/Comedy
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Mecha/Drama
Kamen no Maid Guy - Ecchi/Comedy
History Strongest Disciple Kenichi - Martial Arts/Shounen

Note: Im only mentioning 2 genres that stand out more as a whole.

This are all animes I would personally recommend to anyone that should be watched and loved(except Maid guy, threw it in there just in case).The second list is just a bit less mainstream and/or a bit further from what you asked for.

If you have any questions about them, go ahead.
Old 2009-08-05, 17:11   Link #3
qwertyuiopz

kannagi --> fits best with your list
school rumble
wagaya no oiniri sama
soul eater
Old 2009-08-05, 17:20   Link #4
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Seems like we have similar tastes. A show that belongs in the same category as Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh would be the first season of Minami-Ke. A pure comedy with an all School-Girl cast. It is about three cute sisters and their classmates who all turn out to have their own habits and idiosyncracies. It is hilarious and features characters that are similar to your favorites. I'm sure you will grow to like the quiet and brooding Chiaki, as well as the loud and brash Kana(similar to Tomo from Azumanga Daioh). As well as a whole slew of other characters. It is nonstop hilarity.
Old 2009-08-05, 17:22   Link #5
zaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasano View Post
Seems you are mostly into Slice of Life, just gonna recommend a few "must watch"

CLANNAD -slice of life/Romance (10/10)
School Rumble - Slice of life/Comedy
Great Teacher Onizuka - Slice of Life/Comedy
Welcome to the NHK - Slice of Life/Comedy

Note: Im only mentioning 2 genres that stand out more as a whole.
Thank you for you recommendations. I will certainly check these out.

It may sound unmanly, but I've never been into mindless violence that much. I prefer something a bit more "realistic". At least I call it "realistic", some I know has called it "girly" and "cute". Frankly, I don't really care. I enjoy it, therefore I watch it.

I realize I might have been a bit vague with what I like in the first port, and when I tried to put it to words, it felt really awkward. But nevertheless.

I enjoy comedy, and Slice of Life (Now I've got a word for it, thanks Sasano), I also enjoy watching girl-to-girl interaction (Shoujo Ai?), not as much as in a sexual way, more like in a loving way.
Old 2009-08-05, 17:39   Link #6
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
I enjoy comedy, and Slice of Life (Now I've got a word for it, thanks Sasano), I also enjoy watching girl-to-girl interaction (Shoujo Ai?), not as much as in a sexual way, more like in a loving way.
For this ^, in addition to Minami-Ke, I would also recommend Ichigo Mashimaro which is very similar. Also worth checking out may be:
Sketchbook Full Colors
Hidamari Sketch
Aria

If you want more cute girl-girl interaction which is a bit more serious, I would recommend Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight. This show actually features a bit of a plot(Don't get me wrong, it is still very cute and funny). It is pretty much about a group of high-school girls in the near future (Take this with a grain of salt, there's not much of a sci-fi element to it.) where birth rates have declined, and schools are near empty. They end up assuming positions on the school council by default, pretty much because no one else wants the position. Although they are a bit lost and reluctant at first, they grow to become enthusiastic about their roles and even become passionate about saving their school when it becomes threatened to be shutdown.

You also mentioned Love Hina as something you liked, for something that is a bit similar to Love Hina, I would recommend Ai Yori Aoshi, it's described as a "Japanese" Love Hina.
Old 2009-08-05, 18:13   Link #7
zaR

Spoiler for space:

Thank you very much for your help. I will check all of these out

Last edited by zaR; 2009-08-05 at 19:23.
Old 2009-08-05, 22:00   Link #8
Asfad

Quote:
The very first thing that comes to mind is the Aria series. Pretty much fits the above description perfectly. It's a little slower paced than the other series' you listed, but I wouldn't have it any other way

And because i'm in the middle of enjoying this one, Candy Boy also comes to mind. It's a little short, but the characters seem to fit what you are looking for.

If you don't mind something a little more serious, I highly recommend Honey and Clover. The comedy aspect is retained throughout the whole series, although the drama is given more focus as the series goes on, especially in the second season. Don't let that detract you from watching this though, the character development and monologues are top notch stuff.

And for something a little more focused on the romantic aspect of Shoujo Ai, check out the currently airing Aoi Hana. Have been highly impressed with the series so far.
Old 2009-08-06, 06:16   Link #9
blewin

You might like Eureka Seven. It's very similar to Full Metal Alchemist is terms of boy-growing up theme and certain other areas. On top of that, it's got good romance. It's also a high budget anime like FMA with 50 episodes, awesome soundtrack, great animation + character development + plot. Not to be missed! (oh, and it's hilarious too)

I second Honey and Clover for how realistic and convincing the story is, yet done in a way that brings out the good in the bad - making the ordinary extraordinary. Nodame Cantabile as well.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-08-06, 11:53   Link #10
Fate21
Kiyu~

Mahou Sensei Negima, the author is the same as Love Hina. Involve magic though.
Old 2009-08-06, 14:25   Link #11
becky0311

I really think you'll enjoy Skip Beat!
It's endlessly funny, but it also has aspects of romance, revenge,friendship.
=)
Old 2009-08-06, 16:44   Link #12
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Love Hina
The same guy that recommended Haruhi recommended this. And I love it.
Maison Ikkoku is like Love Hina except better, more mature, and more satisfying in nearly every way.

I also strongly recommend Touch if you enjoy this sort of romance/comedy/drama type shows.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-07, 12:36   Link #13
zaR

Thanks everyone, i've looked at every anime so far, and it boiled down to (in no specific order):

Clannad
School Rumble
Minami-ke Okawari
Candy Boy
Aoi Hana
Great Teacher Onizuka
Kannagi
Sketchbook Full Color's
Honey and Clover

Feel like it'll last a while ^^
Thanks for your help!
Old 2009-08-07, 12:41   Link #14
Fate21
Kiyu~

Umi Monogatari, magic genre, it's cute but it's still new.
Old 2009-08-08, 09:31   Link #15
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Like Theowne said, Maison Ikkoku is like Love Hina, only better. (In fact it's pretty clear Maison Ikkoku was the inspiration for a lot of the Romance/Slice of Life type anime.)

Also try out Cross Game.

If you like Fullmetal Alchemist and read the manga, then you might want to know that they are reanimating Fullmetal Alchemist, but this time are following the manga story line. Called: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

If you get in the mood for more "manly" anime but want to still enjoy the slice of life stuff, you might also like Full Metal Panic, which combines Slice of Life/Romance, with action/adventure. And Soul Eater, which combines comedy and action/adventure.
Closed Thread