AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 27 31.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 37.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 13.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 16.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-07, 19:45   Link #61
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
that still doesnt explain the nominal value of 300

that would also defeat the purpose of the forward transaction if lawrence received payment the same day he is supposed to return the underlying asset.
What are you talking about? He got payed in the morning, before the market opened. And he'll deliver in the evening. The value has nearly a whole day to change value.

Quote:
he was supposed to have received the 500 silver the night before hence his modified short sell
I checked the novel translation.
Spoiler for Novel. Lawrence and Amati's deal.:
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-08-07, 19:54   Link #62
Raiku-chi
ねんきもの ばか
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What are you talking about? He got payed in the morning, before the market opened. And he'll deliver in the evening. The value has nearly a whole day to change value.



I checked the novel translation.
Spoiler for Novel. Lawrence and Amati's deal.:

I see your Avatar motto "I disagree with you all." Rings true ~!
__________________
にほんご わ すごい ! xD
Raiku-chi is offline  
Old 2009-08-07, 20:07   Link #63
cicero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Other people have called him a knight. His self-image is more in question. Mostly, he sees Lawrence as a bad man - because he thinks Lawrence is using the debt to force Horo to stay with him. OK, he's wrong. But that's naivety, not malice.
Good point, he doesn't necessarily see himself as that (though I suspect he does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Or maybe he did it as retaliation because Lawrence was a "douche". He's supposed to be a knight, not a saint. There's also the fact that he sees Lawrence as a "bad man". Last point to consider: maybe Amati should be taken at face value, and really did it as a courtesy. We're seeing it as an attack because Lawrence does, and the scene is from his point of view, but what's the truth of it?
I guess I'm just disappointed that he's not a saint. I had a good initial impression of him, and it saddens me to see him get down in the dirt of trying to show people up.
However, I doubt the courtesy angle. He is supposed to be a savvy merchant, and he's throwing away ~30 silver on courtesy. This is apparently enough to buy 30 breakfasts. In today's terms, that's maybe $300. If you only had 800 silver ($8000) total, would you blow $300 as a courtesy to someone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Honestly, I feel bad for Amati. He's sincere in his love for Horo, or rather, the lie crafted by her. He does all in his power to help her out of a situation she deceived him to believe she was in. And what does he get out of it?
This is why (all talk of blasphemy aside) I do partly blame Horo for this situation. She shouldn't have led him on with a story like that, which is essentially made of lies. If Lawrence had just pocketed the 1000 silver as originally planned and walked off, I would have had a sick feeling in my stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I checked the novel translation.
Spoiler for Novel. Lawrence and Amati's deal.:
They really should have included this in the anime somewhere. Seems like an important thing to leave out.
cicero is offline  
Old 2009-08-07, 20:48   Link #64
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EadTaes View Post
I think I figured who is the person that bought pyrite on credit from Deanna.

Spoiler for Theory about who bought the Pyrite:
Deductive skills five! *high five*

Not too far off.
AKnightWhoSaysNi! is offline  
Old 2009-08-07, 21:12   Link #65
Frostydrops
Lord of the Interwebz
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kyonkos Closet
Nice episode. Lawrence better buck up if he wants to keep Horo.
__________________
-----Siggy-----

Frostydrops is offline  
Old 2009-08-07, 21:58   Link #66
velvet nightmare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What are you talking about? He got payed in the morning, before the market opened. And he'll deliver in the evening. The value has nearly a whole day to change value.



I checked the novel translation.
Spoiler for Novel. Lawrence and Amati's deal.:
ok you're proving my point, why just make a partial payment of 300 in the morning

you're also saying amarti can pay the 200 in the evening, which defeats the purpose of an agreement with a stated value of 500

by allowing the value to change for the whole day, he might as well use the remaining 200 to buy at market price when the market is about to close let alone from lawrence. it just means he cheated lawrence out of 200 gold for the use for the day

so the agreement for 500 was just bs? in actuality it's just 300 in advance and 200 whenever he feels like it?
__________________
velvet nightmare is offline  
Old 2009-08-07, 22:20   Link #67
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I like the little bit showing that Lawrence really got rattled when he saw Horo with Amarti. He forgot to count his payment. XD

I think it be really amusing if Deanne turned out to be a raven incarnation.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 00:19   Link #68
EadTaes
The Northern Guy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi! View Post
Deductive skills five! *high five*

Not too far off.
Thank you, now I am wondering what I got right and what I got wrong.
__________________
EadTaes is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 00:23   Link #69
Filozof
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero View Post
Weren't there feathers all over the place at Diane's? Maybe he picked up a couple because he thought it would look nice. He seems like he would, as a romantic gesture. But I can't remember if she had those feathers before. Would someone confirm this? I don't have my spice and wolf episodes on me right now.
i wouldn't say so, when lawrence gave horo three feathers she was pouting and lawrence was teasing her. I don't see why feathers would be considered romantic.

Spoiler for theory about feathers:
Filozof is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 03:34   Link #70
Double_Edge
Cool Lander
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Goodness gracious!! This show is something else. I really CANNOT wait to see what happens next!

Who would've that the medieval stock market could be so..... EXCITING!!

THIS SHOW IS SO FREAKING EPIC!!!!!

*punches a hole in a wall*
__________________
Signature eaten by fluffy bunnies...nom nom nom!
Double_Edge is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 04:13   Link #71
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
ok you're proving my point, why just make a partial payment of 300 in the morning

you're also saying amarti can pay the 200 in the evening, which defeats the purpose of an agreement with a stated value of 500

by allowing the value to change for the whole day, he might as well use the remaining 200 to buy at market price when the market is about to close let alone from lawrence. it just means he cheated lawrence out of 200 gold for the use for the day

so the agreement for 500 was just bs? in actuality it's just 300 in advance and 200 whenever he feels like it?
Spoiler for the deal:
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 04:22   Link #72
AlaAlba
...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStrike View Post
gets better and better; details are very evident here.

Spoiler for hmm:
those 3 feathers are indeed looks abit different from the ones that lawrence gave, but maybe this is only arts problem ^^
AlaAlba is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 06:57   Link #73
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero View Post
Well, if it helps, I guess I should have been more clear. I'm saying that I know Amarti hasn't technically done anything wrong, just that his actions do not exactly invite admiration. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, to paraphrase someone else. Amarti is rubbing Lawrence's face in it, for the sheer wantonness of it. Even Lawrence only egged him on to get him to take the deal, and left him alone after that. Yes, Lawrence shouldn't be letting himself be rattled, but Amarti isn't behaving at all like the knight he imagines himself to be.

Think back to Horo and Lawrence's conversation about the difference between childish and manly actions. How is Amarti acting? He's blowing large sums of cash (given low liquidity, the sums involved, and the time period, 10% exchange fee is conservative) just so he can feel cool talking to Lawrence. There's a meaningful difference between what he and Lawrence did. Lawrence behaved like a douche in order to bait Amarti into accepting a deal. Amarti is doing it...to look cool. And losing money doing it. If it were just about rattling lawrence and making him lose his cool, then just bringing Horo was enough..
Amarti didn't do it to look cool, he did it because a gold coin is harder to spend than silver coins. He knows exactly what Lawrence is up to and is trying to make it harder for him. It wasn't to look cool, or show off, it was to make it harder for Lawrence to buy the pyrite in small quanities from various merchants like he was planning. Think of it this way, if someone owns you $500, and they pay it back in hundred dollar bills instead of 20 dollar bills, you're not going to be able to buy a can of soda from the convienence store on the corner because they probably won't be able to make change. That's why Lawrence was so shocked, it makes what he's trying to do that much harder.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 11:29   Link #74
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Man why is he going through all this trouble for a girl who clearly prefers Amati over him. If I were him, I'd just dump the stupid wolf and move on with travelling merchant life.
__________________
I hope this meets the requirements...

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 12:21   Link #75
velvet nightmare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Spoiler for the deal:
you still don't get it. so lets say amarti said screw it, im going to give you 500 at the end of the day when the price of pyrite is supposed to be higher, that means he cheated lawrence out of the time value of the 500, it's like interest. lawrence loses his flexibility to use the full 500 earlier in the day to get a supposedly lower price on pyrite if the market if he wasnt planning on crashing the market


"Is it so surprising that they hammered a few details off camera?"

yes it is. because economics is a big part of this show and to hide details is a big slap in the face to the viewer. it's like in the first season, "the armor market crashed but we're not going to tell you the reason behind it so just go with the flow". that would make it look like a retarded plot device just to screw around with lawrence
__________________
velvet nightmare is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 13:57   Link #76
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Am I pathetic and hopeless for finding Lawrence's comparing Horo to cargo he doesn't want to abandon oddly romantic?
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 14:09   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
you still don't get it. so lets say amarti said screw it, im going to give you 500 at the end of the day when the price of pyrite is supposed to be higher, that means he cheated lawrence out of the time value of the 500, it's like interest. lawrence loses his flexibility to use the full 500 earlier in the day to get a supposedly lower price on pyrite if the market if he wasnt planning on crashing the market
But they agreed on the horse thing before signing. So it's ok.

In fact, Lawrence must have expected it, since Horo listed only 200 silvers in cash. In fact, the novel points out another reason Lawrence was rattled by the gold:
Spoiler for novel view:
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 15:45   Link #78
cicero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filozof View Post
i wouldn't say so, when lawrence gave horo three feathers she was pouting and lawrence was teasing her. I don't see why feathers would be considered romantic.
While I still believe what I was saying is possible, I'd like to register that his theory is much better than mine and, now that I've thought about it, I believe his far more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Amarti didn't do it to look cool, he did it because a gold coin is harder to spend than silver coins. He knows exactly what Lawrence is up to and is trying to make it harder for him. It wasn't to look cool, or show off, it was to make it harder for Lawrence to buy the pyrite in small quanities from various merchants like he was planning. Think of it this way, if someone owns you $500, and they pay it back in hundred dollar bills instead of 20 dollar bills, you're not going to be able to buy a can of soda from the convienence store on the corner because they probably won't be able to make change. That's why Lawrence was so shocked, it makes what he's trying to do that much harder.
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. That's a good point. And if Lawrence wants it back in silver, he has to go back and shell out the extra 10% or so to get it exchanged, and he hardly has time to do that now, or do anything else for that matter (which ties in with what velvet is saying. If Amarti is free to give him the 300 silver whenever he wants, why not just wait until the end of the day?). Though I'm pretty sure he was shocked from seeing Horo more than anything.
cicero is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 16:47   Link #79
Lightly_Toasted
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
Man why is he going through all this trouble for a girl who clearly prefers Amati over him. If I were him, I'd just dump the stupid wolf and move on with travelling merchant life.
This had better be a trolling attempt, or else GTFO. Horo should smite you for a comment like that.
Lightly_Toasted is offline  
Old 2009-08-08, 17:53   Link #80
Vinak
Procrastinator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Am I pathetic and hopeless for finding Lawrence's comparing Horo to cargo he doesn't want to abandon oddly romantic?
well when you consider the fact that his cargo is probably the most important thing to him, (not including Horo) than yes, I'd say it is pretty romantic.

He needs his cargo to maintain his very lifestyle after all.
__________________
Vinak is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.