AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-09, 04:26   Link #321
Zantetsuken
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 23
Who said it's 100% HaruKyon? The fact is there is a chance of YukiKyon too.
__________________
Zantetsuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:26   Link #322
Nudvik
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
First, nothing in the anime counts as canon, whatsoever. Tanigawa had little to do with it except write the script for Someday in the Rain.
Honestly, this is a completely absurd statement. You're basically vetoing everything contained in an anime as non-canon because the author didn't do every single thing himself. Despite it being an almost completely faithful adaptation?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And, like I said, he does it simply to mess with Kyon because of how homophobic Kyon is. I sometimes do the same things to my friends, and I'm pretty straight.

For that matter... Disappearance Koizumi displays no homosexual behaviour whatsoever. He's completely devoted to Haruhi.

So Koizumi is either simply only gay for Kyon, or just messing with him, and I think the latter.
I disagree. I think the idea that his entire persona is constructed simply to mess with Kyon is more than slightly unlikely.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
...Haruhi-chan was originally a gag 4koma written and drawn by an artist named Puyo. KyoAni added next to nothing into their adaptation of it.

You did know this, right?
No, I really didn't. I was under the impression that this was a commissioned side-project by KS, to promote the imminent relaunch of the franchise. Perhaps I succumbed to wishful thinking, however everything in that series IS an exaggeration of unresolved issues in the novel series. Nobody could seriously claim that Tsuruya isn't much more involved than she first appears to be, especially considering Itsuki's early comment about how her family was connected closely to the Organisation, but had some rather fundamental disagreements over how they should proceed.
That said, I also thought that nobody could seriously doubt that Itsuki had a romantic interest in Kyon, so there you go!
__________________
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Nudvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:28   Link #323
AsterSelene
aka Fuzzle-san
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to AsterSelene Send a message via MSN to AsterSelene Send a message via Yahoo to AsterSelene Send a message via Skype™ to AsterSelene
Haha. I start him off with being a slave to Haruhi, and finally seeing the light that supernatural things don't exist, and actually meeting them, and hardening up, with Sasaki's literality contributing to this. xD

As for shippings, some people said that there was a 100% chance of HaruKyon happening before I posted. I'm a YukiKyon fan myself, although generally not as intense as I feel right now. xD
AsterSelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:31   Link #324
Zantetsuken
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudvik View Post
Honestly, this is a completely absurd statement. You're basically vetoing everything contained in an anime as non-canon because the author didn't do every single thing himself. Despite it being an almost completely faithful adaptation?!
Note the almost.

Because SitR is written by Tanigawa, do you count it cannon?
__________________
Zantetsuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:32   Link #325
AsterSelene
aka Fuzzle-san
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to AsterSelene Send a message via MSN to AsterSelene Send a message via Yahoo to AsterSelene Send a message via Skype™ to AsterSelene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
Note the almost.

Because SitR is written by Tanigawa, do you count it cannon?
Someday in the Rain was actually made into a prose form after the episode was created. Hence making it canon.
AsterSelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:32   Link #326
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudvik View Post
Honestly, this is a completely absurd statement. You're basically vetoing everything contained in an anime as non-canon because the author didn't do every single thing himself. Despite it being an almost completely faithful adaptation?!
Anime-canon and novel-canon are different, and novel-canon is what I'm referring to here.

Again, the author had little to do with the adaptation as a whole.

Adaptations, by default, are non-canon compared to the original work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudvik View Post
Perhaps I succumbed to wishful thinking, however everything in that series IS an exaggeration of unresolved issues in the novel series.
Yes, because it's all based off of fan-theorizing. Nothing in that series can be taken as canon whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Haha. I start him off with being a slave to Haruhi, and finally seeing the light that supernatural things don't exist, and actually meeting them, and hardening up, with Sasaki's literality contributing to this. xD
...Why does he sound like Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko...?
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:33   Link #327
Nudvik
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
No, I count it as canon because it's a very faithful adaptation that captures the essence of the novels almost perfectly.
__________________
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Nudvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:33   Link #328
Zantetsuken
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Someday in the Rain was actually made into a prose form after the episode was created. Hence making it canon.
What? Where?
__________________
Zantetsuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:34   Link #329
AsterSelene
aka Fuzzle-san
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to AsterSelene Send a message via MSN to AsterSelene Send a message via Yahoo to AsterSelene Send a message via Skype™ to AsterSelene
In The Sneaker magazine, where the Haruhi novels were originally located, Someday in the Rain was made into prose. Unfortunately it hasn't been translated, but it does exist.

Umineko? Never heard of it. But he's pretty sarcastic now...Wait until he meets the Brigade. xD

EDIT: Someday in the Rain was in the August 2006 edition.
AsterSelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:34   Link #330
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Someday in the Rain was actually made into a prose form after the episode was created. Hence making it canon.
I don't know how that worked though.

But yeah, anything written by Tanigawa = canon. Anything not written by him = not canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudvik View Post
No, I count it as canon because it's a very faithful adaptation that captures the essence of the novels almost perfectly.
It still has story differences.

Endless Eight's numbering being one, the lack of alcohol in Lone Island another...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Umineko? Never heard of it. But he's pretty sarcastic now...Wait until he meets the Brigade. xD
Unfortunate. And the real brigade, or the Anti-SOS?

I find the latter slightly more interesting at this point, so...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:36   Link #331
AsterSelene
aka Fuzzle-san
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to AsterSelene Send a message via MSN to AsterSelene Send a message via Yahoo to AsterSelene Send a message via Skype™ to AsterSelene
You're right - how do you record 20 minutes of Yuki reading in prose? O.o

Also Day of Sagittarius. It had teleportation in the original. And ENOZ's existence. And the mole. What the hell was that supposed to mean?

EDIT: The real brigade, there is a slight series of events started by Kyon that inadvertedly triggers the SOS Brigade formed without his presence. But the Anti-SOS dan exists too in the fic. *shrug*
AsterSelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:37   Link #332
Zantetsuken
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 23
And the added cliff fall in LI too
__________________
Zantetsuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:37   Link #333
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
What the hell was that supposed to mean?
That KyoAni loves screwing with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
EDIT: The real brigade, there is a slight series of events started by Kyon that inadvertedly triggers the SOS Brigade formed without his presence. But the Anti-SOS dan exists too in the fic. *shrug*
Bah. Shoving the Anti-SOS and Sasaki into North High instead of the SOS and Haruhi would be cooler.

Not knocking on your fic here, just saying... although, I'm beginning to get ideas of my own, ohoho~. Thank you.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:37   Link #334
Nudvik
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Endless Eight's numbering being one, the lack of alcohol in Lone Island another...
That's some quite incredible nitpicking. EE is the only example of a significant deviation from novel canon. Lack of Haruhi getting drunk is just an annoying example of conservatism in television.

[edit]Ohh yeah, there's the falling off the cliff scene too. I really need to learn how to use these damn boards... It's such a pain in the ass trying to quote multiple people.
__________________
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Nudvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:38   Link #335
AsterSelene
aka Fuzzle-san
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to AsterSelene Send a message via MSN to AsterSelene Send a message via Yahoo to AsterSelene Send a message via Skype™ to AsterSelene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
That KyoAni loves screwing with us.
True, true. I almost fainted with 8 episodes of Endless Eight.

By the way, do you think next episode will be Sighs? Or will they skip the arc and use 5 eps for Shoushitsu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Bah. Shoving the Anti-SOS and Sasaki into North High instead of the SOS and Haruhi would be cooler.

Not knocking on your fic here, just saying...
It's fine. *desu* Actually Sasaki and co. don't go to North High, it's the unnamed school she goes to in the novels...Kyon is the only one to experience a school change.
AsterSelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:41   Link #336
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Do we have enough information to put the Anti-SOS and Sasaki into North High (or wherever) as the main group?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:42   Link #337
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudvik View Post
That's some quite incredible nitpicking. EE is the only example of a significant deviation from novel canon. Lack of Haruhi getting drunk is just an annoying example of conservatism in television.

[edit]Ohh yeah, there's the falling off the cliff scene too. I really need to learn how to use these damn boards... It's such a pain in the ass trying to quote multiple people.
It. Still. Isn't. Novel. Canon. Which. Is. My. Point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
By the way, do you think next episode will be Sighs? Or will they skip the arc and use 5 eps for Shoushitsu?
DVD numbers suggest NOT Disappearance... so next week with either be Sighs or that sports day as an anime-original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
It's fine. *desu* Actually Sasaki and co. don't go to North High, it's the unnamed school she goes to in the novels...Kyon is the only one to experience a school change.
Ah, right. Makes sense.

...I'm stealing this idea, if you're fine with that, by the way. The crew over in Seitenkan, myself included, can probably use it for something interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Do we have enough information to put the Anti-SOS and Sasaki into North High (or wherever) as the main group?
Everyone but Sasaki is a distinct archetype, so they're fairly easy to work with. I can see it.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:42   Link #338
AsterSelene
aka Fuzzle-san
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to AsterSelene Send a message via MSN to AsterSelene Send a message via Yahoo to AsterSelene Send a message via Skype™ to AsterSelene
No, we don't. This is where *creativity* comes in.

And an attempt not to be OOC.
AsterSelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:43   Link #339
AsterSelene
aka Fuzzle-san
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to AsterSelene Send a message via MSN to AsterSelene Send a message via Yahoo to AsterSelene Send a message via Skype™ to AsterSelene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

DVD numbers suggest NOT Disappearance... so next week with either be Sighs or that sports day as an anime-original.
But but but but but all of the advertising was on Disappearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

Ah, right. Makes sense.

...I'm stealing this idea, if you're fine with that, by the way. The crew over in Seitenkan, myself included, can probably use it for something interesting.
Go right ahead!
AsterSelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 04:44   Link #340
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Your canon debate reminds me of all those Star Wars debates on levels of canon.

It doesn't matter at this point. Seriously, it doesn't.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.