AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-19, 20:00   Link #1
KeyserSoze

Suggest a good anime for me to watch??

I don't really keep track of anime that much but I do like it a lot so maybe you guys could help me out. First lemme say that I am somewhat of a snob when it comes to anime. Perhaps people can take a look at what I really do like and suggest something on par with what I like. Here is a short list of my favorite animes:

Berserk
Trigun
Cowboy Beebop
Samurai Shamploo (though the ending left a lot to be desired)
Furi Kuri (just so funny and really strange but very well made and not retarded)
Kenshin OAV's
ROLW
Witch Hunter Robin (weak ending but pretty good until then)
Escaflowne (good but once again lacking a good ending imho)
Initial D (Awesome for the first 3 stages then IV stage gets kinda repetative)
Noir (Good cocept but another lame ending)
Vandread (1st season)
Hellsing (Cool but a bit short, but that doesnt mean I want to watch a 200 ep anime! :P)

I prefer anime's with more serious tones but I dont mind a silly anime every now and then (I REALLY liked Furi Kuri), also I don't really care for gundam, inuyasha, naruto, bleach, pokemon, etc. TIA for any suggestions.
Old 2009-07-19, 21:20   Link #2
Vincentre
Final Boss

You might like Ergo Proxy. Just a guess. Not sure, but it had a deep feel to it. If you liked Fooly Cooly, then maybe Lucky Star for comedy sake.

Nothing mainstream for you, of course.

If you can't find anything, then it's time to go old school.

EDIT:
Is this in the right section?

Last edited by Vincentre; 2009-07-19 at 21:21. Reason: Just askin'...
Old 2009-07-19, 22:30   Link #3
KeyserSoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentre View Post
You might like Ergo Proxy. Just a guess. Not sure, but it had a deep feel to it. If you liked Fooly Cooly, then maybe Lucky Star for comedy sake.

Nothing mainstream for you, of course.

If you can't find anything, then it's time to go old school.

EDIT:
Is this in the right section?

When I was looking at the new and old anime forum rules it said not to make new threads there. It said to make a thread in the gen discussion forum.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out. Anyone else???
Old 2009-07-19, 23:54   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
You should try Fullmetal Alchemist

If you're willing to go old school (1970's era animation), you might check out Starblazers

You might give Full Metal Panic a chance. It's technically mecha... but it's not really focused on the mecha the way Gundam is. Not sure if you'll like it or not, but you can probably tell if you will within 4 or 5 episodes. If you do like it I suspect you'll really like it.

If you'd like to try out some other genres from what you seem to typically watch, I'd suggest:

Cross Game (Coming of Age- all about life, death, and baseball).

and

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya A Sci-fi Mind Screw that subtly mocks all of the "moe" and other common aspects of modern anime. Be prepared to be jerked around though, as the animators seem to enjoy messing with viewers heads. Important note: Haruhi is not the protagonist, she's the antagonist- some people seem to miss that point and then wonder why a jerk like Haruhi is someone they should be cheering for.
Old 2009-07-20, 00:00   Link #5
qwertyuiopz

tengen toppa (u liked flcl, same animators too)

birdy the mighty decode
Spoiler for ep1 action:

Last edited by qwertyuiopz; 2009-07-20 at 00:12.
Old 2009-07-20, 21:19   Link #6
blewin

wanna give Soul eater a try? It's full of crazy turns and randomness. Very out of the norm!

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-07-23, 04:41   Link #7
cerrian

You'll probably enjoy Eureka 7, Scrapped Princess, and Towards the Terra as they all have a fairly well contained storyline that doesn't leave many loose ends.

If you follow the FLCL route, then most people would point you to Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan and Gunbuster 2. A word of caution about Gunbuster 2, DO NOT make the mistake of watching Gunbuster 2 without watching Gunbuster 1 first.
Old 2009-08-09, 17:40   Link #8
KeyserSoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
You should try Fullmetal Alchemist

If you're willing to go old school (1970's era animation), you might check out Starblazers

You might give Full Metal Panic a chance. It's technically mecha... but it's not really focused on the mecha the way Gundam is. Not sure if you'll like it or not, but you can probably tell if you will within 4 or 5 episodes. If you do like it I suspect you'll really like it.

If you'd like to try out some other genres from what you seem to typically watch, I'd suggest:

Cross Game (Coming of Age- all about life, death, and baseball).

and

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya A Sci-fi Mind Screw that subtly mocks all of the "moe" and other common aspects of modern anime. Be prepared to be jerked around though, as the animators seem to enjoy messing with viewers heads. Important note: Haruhi is not the protagonist, she's the antagonist- some people seem to miss that point and then wonder why a jerk like Haruhi is someone they should be cheering for.
Seen FMA, it was ok, a little better than ave. Geared a bit more for the 8-14 audience imho. Prolly give it a 7/10. Also seen FMP, decent, 7.5/10. I really like the intro and end songs. :P

Seen Scrapped princess already. Another decent anime with an ending that is a bit lacking......7/10.

Just watched Ergo Proxy. It was ok. I really did like the triva stuff at the end of eps. The overall storyline was good but how they took you from beg to end was a bit confusing. Good overall. 8/10.

I'll check out cross game, tengen toppa, soul eater, eureka 7 and towrds the terra. Thnx.

If anyone else thinks I should try something out don't hesitate to post it.
Old 2009-08-09, 21:14   Link #9
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Black Lagoon
Full Metal Panic
Death Note
Speed Grapher
Code Geass
Baccano!
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ah! My Goddess
Haruhi Suzumiya
Full Metal Alchemist
Gantz
Darker Than Black
Old 2009-08-09, 22:00   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I prefer anime's with more serious tones
They don't get much more serious than Monster, Twelve Kingdoms, or Seirei no Moribito, just to name three. Mononoke is pretty serious as well, though it has a good dose of dry humor from the main character.
Old 2009-08-10, 02:46   Link #11
Saber Cherry
Marionette

If you don't like weak endings, maybe you should avoid anime? I agree with your summary of a lot of those. You've already seen a lot of what I would recommend, but...

Do watch:
Seirei no Moribito for sure. Best action in any (historic setting) anime.
Mai Hime (which also has excellent music by Noir's Yuki Kajiura)
Death Note (better execution than Monster)
Darker than Black (better execution than Noir)
Noein
Gunslinger Girl (Girls with guns, as you may have guessed, but less cheesy than Noir)
Elfen Lied (Very bloody)
Twelve Kingdoms is nice and serious, but takes a slow, introspective pace can turn off action junkies.
Princess Mononoke deep, serious, and has good action scenes, great art, and good music.
If you have not, be sure to watch FMP's sequels, too. I also liked the OP/EDs

Maybe watch:
Haruhi. I loved it, but it is totally dissimilar to your list.

Don't watch:
Monster - This kind of fizzles out. Awesome for the first dozen episodes but then gets continually weaker. I didn't finish it but my friend tells me the end was inconclusive.
Speed Grapher - yuck.
Ah! My Goddess - has nothing to do with your list of anime you liked. The OVA is decent, but the TV series was so bad I couldn't finish ep. 1.
Soul Hunter - in my opinion, it is substantially more immature than FMA, so I doubt you'll like it. However, it does have a lot of the surrealism you seemed to like from FLCL, so who knows.