AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 21.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 16.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 25.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 35 19.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 9.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-13, 21:40   Link #121
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
I'm more worried about whether they're gonna censor "that scene" later on. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it out completely, seeing as they cut a similar scene out in Lone Island Syndrome for the sake of "censoring"

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 21:44   Link #122
ReneeBurossamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
I'm more worried about whether they're gonna censor "that scene" later on. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it out completely, seeing as they cut a similar scene out in Lone Island Syndrome for the sake of "censoring"
Haha, they should have it be...
Spoiler:
or something like that. I'm not big on medication but that seems to be the closest I can think of if they're going to censor.
ReneeBurossamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 21:44   Link #123
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

It's not what caused the scene to happen that's important, it's that the scene, in the first place, happened.

They don't even need to do -that- for the entire scene to have the same effect.
Old 2009-08-13, 21:44   Link #124
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thanks for that image! I had forgotten that one. I'll have to put that up on my other thread too.
Could you link to that other thread? It sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Should mention: They seem to have cut out one thing in particular: Koizumi is ALSO staring at Mikuru at the end of the first meeting, in the book.
Of course.

If they didn't people might think Koizumi wasn't gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
Considering the importance it has to character development, I doubt they could get away with cutting it completely.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 21:48   Link #125
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Quote:
It's not what caused the scene to happen that's important, it's that the scene, in the first place, happened.

They don't even need to do -that- for the entire scene to have the same effect.
If they delete the "scene" where Kyon grows a pair to Haruhi, I will be P-Oed. Sighs was really boring to read, aside from that part lol.
Rice_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 21:53   Link #126
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Could you link to that other thread? It sounds interesting.
It's for a site where people debate "This fictional character vs. That fictional character", and we take from all of pop fiction - anime, video games, western comics, the works. I'm "Darth Joker" over there, and I have Kaisos' current avatar over there, stilled version.

Anyway, here's the thread: Rob Liefeld vs. The Moe Blobs of Haruhi Suzumiya

Keep in mind that not everybody there even watches anime. One respondent, for example, is focusing on how... Haruhi looks eight years old, max, to him. This is probably not something that someone who watches a lot of anime would say, but he does raise a bit of a point - Haruhi does look de-aged from Season 1 to me. I wouldn't go all the way to 8 years old, though - more like 12 instead of 15.

I haven't put up your cringe pic yet, but I will pretty soon. Before I do, though - was it Haruhi's appearance in the pool that made you cringe? Her... lack of hands?
Old 2009-08-13, 21:54   Link #127
Kogetsu Shirogane
Storm of Love and Honor!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
If they didn't people might think Koizumi wasn't gay
"I can't have people thinking I'm straight."
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... what is this... I don't even...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 22:04   Link #128
Jintor

I'm guessing it's going to take a while for it to be subbed; must have been getting used to everybody's 'pretty much the same dialogue' speed.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 22:19   Link #129
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I haven't put up your cringe pic yet, but I will pretty soon. Before I do, though - was it Haruhi's appearance in the pool that made you cringe? Her... lack of hands?
The hands were creepy, but the thing that mostly set me off was the proportions...it's like she went into outright super deformed mode, but considering the show typically doesn't employ that trope, you realize that this isn't meant to look SD. One minute she's "normally" proportioned, then the next she's completely off.

It's like they wanted to draw her normally, but ended up doing it like this almost on accident.
Old 2009-08-13, 22:24   Link #130
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
I don't know... some of this anatomy is genuinely pretty questionable. That's one of the things I liked a lot about Haruhi Season 1 - very solid anatomy. Take away the big eyes, and squiggly lines for nose and mouth (which are staples of anime, anyway - so we're all quite used to them), and you have normal body proportions.

Still, like you said, it could be worse.
Like you said yourself, this is anime... can you really question anatomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Then what would you consider as good art then? Give examples form current series.
I'd really like to know this as well. Give us some examples.

I can't think of a single series that hasn't had to commit this necessary evil due to budget constraints... if it is really bad they do touch it up with the dvd version.

Also, I don't enjoy classical anime just on the sole basis of the quality of its "art."

Quote:
Should mention: They seem to have cut out one thing in particular: Koizumi is ALSO staring at Mikuru at the end of the first meeting, in the book.
He was glancing to the side while talking to Kyon, which caused Kyon to stare at Asahina. It was there, you just missed it... or I imagined it because the stream quality was low... but I still think I saw Koizumi's wandering stare.

Last edited by ac195; 2009-08-14 at 00:17.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 22:25   Link #131
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Looks like Mazui will have it up soon from what I saw on irc (they mentioned Haruhi having twice the line count as this week's S&W lol).

I don't really have anything else I feel like doing right now. :/

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 22:29   Link #132
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
It goes back to what Roger Rambo just said.

Haruhi Season 1 didn't really use the super-deformed trope - Haruhi wasn't Azumanga. It had consistently realistic (from the neck down) anatomy. And, simply put, I preferred it that way. The typical anime heads aside (which I've totally gotten used to, and like), I prefer normal body proportions from the neck down.

However, if you prefer this art style, then great. Somebody must love it, or K-On wouldn't have sold so well.
Old 2009-08-13, 22:30   Link #133
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Having some consistency to anatomy would be nice though.

And as others have said. Haruhi was one of those series where anatomical consistency was a given. Having something like that show up is rather jarring.
Old 2009-08-13, 22:37   Link #134
Jenni
B-baka!

Send a message via Skype™ to Jenni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Then what would you consider as good art then? Give examples form current series.
I really like Saki's art. It has character designs that appeals to me, and fairly consistent quality. Granted, the characters are still moeblobs... but they're well drawn moeblobs.

Come check out Project Haruhi!
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 22:39   Link #135
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Yeah, I felt that the 'realistic' style of the original episodes suited the series well, as I always thought of it as a realistic setting with unusual things suddenly occurring.

Woot subs are out.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.

Last edited by Heminga13; 2009-08-13 at 23:25.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 23:38   Link #136
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Thus far, KyoAni (or Kadokawa) has twiddled their thumbs for three years, fired Yamakan, finally aired new episodes at ungodly hours in the morning with no fanfare, stretched a 30-page story to eight episodes, made a poor stylistic choice for the new art style, and allowed the overall quality of their art to decline.
They didn't fire Yamakan. He left himself.
Haruhi airs at night, not in the morning, in a usual anime timeslot.
Some people (me included) like new designs much better, it's just animation quality suffers.
There are speculations that the current Haruhi (S1+) was made before, or along K-On! which actually makes point "Moeblob sells, let's make moeblobs!" moot, since they couldn't produce episodes AFTER K-On.
And for limited animation low-budget thing (New Haruhi is really low-budget, I admit it, just look at how many key animators they have on each episode this time -- not so much) it's not even half bad.

And you people seem to be picking at details more and more.
OH GOD THEY CUT OUT THE LINE WITH HARUHI CALLING 5% OF MEN GAY!!!1111
So what? Portrayal of characters is still consistent with the novel.
That's adaptation after all, not illustration.
[/rant]

A checklist for us sorry fellows.
[ ] Bitchslapping Haruhi
[ ] Tsuruya and alcohol for Mikuru scene
[ ] what else???
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:09   Link #137
Yuutsu

Wait, I'm slightly confused. The Sighs of Haruhi Suzumiya, for the novel at least, is almost exclusively about making the film that was featured as the first episode of the first season. Yet, from the pictures and discussions I've seen, people seem to be anticipating a <spoilers> blushing Yuki and long-haired Haruhi </spoilers>. As far as I know, the second season is animating the Sighs, not the arc that comes later.
Yuutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:14   Link #138
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Yet, from the pictures and discussions I've seen, people seem to be anticipating a <spoilers> blushing Yuki and long-haired Haruhi </spoilers>.
Um... We do anticipate Disappearance, but it's Sighs now.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 01:07   Link #139
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
And Kyoto had better not take out Haruhi being a bitch. I have no idea what Haruhi does that's so bad, but Sighs sounds to be her lowest point, and her bitchiness there is infamous to the point of being legendary. ... well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but people do mention it a lot.
Spoiler for Haruhi's "bitch" scene:
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 01:35   Link #140
Launch
Bug Catcher

Just watched the subs. At first I was sure this episode would be entirely about the Sports Day (I wouldn't have minded xD), but Sighs is good as well. Not the best story arc in Haruhi, but I hope they flesh it out a bit more with some anime original material. (I'm thinking that the Computer Club will show up for something, the only reason being that they're in the OP. Just a thought).

Anyway, this episode was alright. I'll be looking forward to more episodes.
Launch is offline   Reply With Quote