AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-07-09, 15:39   Link #1
M4D

what is Share Ratio of Azureus used for??

hello guys
i am new to Azureus
i have read amny posts on this forum
but i still dont know what is share ratio for
is it only for me or for all the peers??
is it can be the threshold for dl or ul??
thanks in advance
M4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 16:06   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4D
hello guys
i am new to Azureus
Although you are new you chose the best BT client. More people should be like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4D
i have read amny posts on this forum
but i still dont know what is share ratio for
It is the quotient of upload/download per torrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4D
is it only for me or for all the peers??
Only for you and only per torrent and not globally (the sum of all of your active torrents)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4D
is it can be the threshold for dl or ul??
thanks in advance
I am ed as well because I didn't get what you meant.

PS: At least try to get a share ratio of 1 because that's how BT works. If you give as much as you take other people can get the file, too. However, if you have a really high upload speed you can pump your share ratio higer than 1 of course - but that's up to you.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 02:10   Link #3
M4D

Thank you for replying(my question again @@)

thank you for replying my question.(thank you Sin)
what i was wondering is
if the share ratio is only seen by myself
i will be the only one to care about it??

(does any other person can see my share ratio of the torrent??)

thank you in advance.
M4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 04:55   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4D
thank you for replying my question.(thank you Sin)
what i was wondering is
if the share ratio is only seen by myself
i will be the only one to care about it??

(does any other person can see my share ratio of the torrent??)

thank you in advance.
You are the only one who can see it normally. There are sites that track your upload and download thus it's accessible to every site member but normally, no, they can't see it.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-07-10, 08:29   Link #5
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
PS: At least try to get a share ratio of 1 because that's how BT works. If you give as much as you take other people can get the file, too. However, if you have a really high upload speed you can pump your share ratio higer than 1 of course - but that's up to you.
Hey Sin,

is there a way of stopping activity on a torrent once the share ration becomes 1? I am thinking that when I go away for the weekend, I want to set up several torrents in a row so when one stops the next starts. I would be thinking 10 or 15 torrents.

Widya Santoso
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 09:01   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Hey Sin,

is there a way of stopping activity on a torrent once the share ration becomes 1? I am thinking that when I go away for the weekend, I want to set up several torrents in a row so when one stops the next starts. I would be thinking 10 or 15 torrents.

Widya Santoso
There is not an inbuilt option in Azureus that I know of but I developed some kinda workaround. Just switch share ratio of 2 with 1 and you'll be fine.

Does this answer your question?

PS: Also take a look at my Azureus guide here.

Old 2004-07-10, 10:14   Link #7
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

_Sin_ - i found a way for it to stop automatically after reaching the ratio of 1:1

in the Configuration menu if you go under the "Queue/Seeding/First Priority" there should be a few options...

for me i have it set up this way

Quote:
First priority goes to torrents with any of the following:

A share ratio under 1:1
An elapsed time since changing from downloading to seeding ignore
An elapsed time since the start of downloading ignore
For me having it like this has always stopped the torrent when it reached the share ratio of 1:1...and the reason i set the other 2 to ignore is cause if i set the time then it would chose any one of the 3 options and would either stop after reaching the share ratio...or at the end of Xhrs set in the final 2 options

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 12:02   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
_Sin_ - i found a way for it to stop automatically after reaching the ratio of 1:1

in the Configuration menu if you go under the "Queue/Seeding/First Priority" there should be a few options...

for me i have it set up this way

For me having it like this has always stopped the torrent when it reached the share ratio of 1:1...and the reason i set the other 2 to ignore is cause if i set the time then it would chose any one of the 3 options and would either stop after reaching the share ratio...or at the end of Xhrs set in the final 2 options
Nice one. It's another way of cycling through the Seeding Queue (the method you described was initially included in the post but I deemed it too complicated so I left it out ).
What I wanted to say with "There is not an inbuilt option in Azureus that I know" was that you cannot have 0 seedings at one given time. You can, however, decide which files to seed first etc (cycling).
Oh, and another reason why I didn't include that was that First Priority will take a download slot to seed if necessary, i.e. you configured Azureus to download two files and seed two files at once (they need to have a SR <1 for the example to work) and both downloads finish with a SR <1, you will end up with 4 files seeding until 2 of them reach a SR >1 so that the other queued downloads get their needed download slots. But this is a minor thing really...

PS: This merits a positive reputation from me, enjoy!

Old 2004-07-11, 06:38   Link #9
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Thanks Superchop, you're a cut above the rest.

And Sin, you're more a virtue than your namesake. ?:-)

Widya Santoso
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote