AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-15, 12:58   Link #3081
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Now for my question.

In anime and manga whenever someone is being interrogated, especially by the police, there is a bowl of I think some kind of pork udon. And someone is always like "Noooo! don't eat the food". It seems like if you eat it you are gonna confess.

My actual questions are:

1) what is the name of the dish served

2) why is it served during interrogations and what does eating it do?
In terms of the second, the previous answers may be correct but I'd imagine it's for something else. The most common one is that it's a source of temptation. This works in two possible but different ways:

1) The person is presented with something desirable/delicious, but if they reach for it then it will be moved away. The idea is that it's just within reach, but in order to get it they need to give the desired information. I don't believe this method is used in reality (because in order for it to work, the person under interrogation would have to be starved. That counts as torture, and if the interrogators are OK with using torture, I'm sure they'd prefer some more harsh, direct, quick methods). However, it works for comedic effect; seeing a big thug break down at the sight of a bowl of ramen is silly.

That's from a western standpoint.

2) From an eastern standpoint, it may be a bit different. That is, by accepting an offering from someone, you're indebted to them. By eating food offered by the police, you are honor-bound to give them something in return. Again, this is probably not a realistic scenario, but something used for somewhat comedic effect - nobody is going to rat out their accomplices over a bowl of ramen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Here is an F.Y.I for everyone. In the USA, and surely in other countries as well, the police will give you sodas and water during an interrogation. The reason they do this is because they want you to have to pee. It makes you nervous and uncomfortable. Therefore making it harder to lie when they ask the same question over and over because you will lose you concentration.
Never heard of this outside of movies, and a member of my family is a retired police officer. It may vary precinct by precinct, though.

Even if it were true, it matches up with the first explanation that I gave. Specifically, you need to use the bathroom, you're uncomfortable, you'll be relieved if you're allowed to urinate, and the police use that to tempt you to give the desired information. (Compared to: you're starving, you're uncomfortable, you'll be relieved if you're allowed to eat, and the police use that to tempt you to give the desired information.) Part of the reason I'm a bit doubtful that such methods are used (or at least, used commonly) is because it may amount to torture, which could get the police into very big trouble (at least in America).
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 06:27   Link #3082
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I had always heard that Police use water and pop as a way of getting your DNA from the cup. The making you want to use the bathroom thing also makes sense though.
__________________
Goodbye AnimeSuki
You have lost your once great spirit
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 11:28   Link #3083
Kakashi
カカシ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Why do I seem to be immune from mosquito bites, while others will get dozens in one night? o_O
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 12:41   Link #3084
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Why do I seem to be immune from mosquito bites, while others will get dozens in one night? o_O
do you sleep with multiple people in 1 room?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 14:04   Link #3085
Kakashi
カカシ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
do you sleep with multiple people in 1 room?
This was while I was on holiday; on some days I slept next to my younger brother who gets bitten like crazy, and the rest of the time I slept alone. It didn't make a difference - no bites.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 14:53   Link #3086
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Stop rubbing sugared water on your roommates.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 15:20   Link #3087
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
This was while I was on holiday; on some days I slept next to my younger brother who gets bitten like crazy, and the rest of the time I slept alone. It didn't make a difference - no bites.
your blood must taste awful then
this might help:
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...osquito-magnet

edit:

now that I am here anyway, perhaps someone could help me with English
I'm looking for a word, but I have no idea which one. What I can tell you is that it means being confused but it should end with -ment (I think lol)
It goes something like this:

..as if there was something missing. His reaction would be different and as she looked at him she could recognize something. Perhaps fear, perhaps it was ******

at the stars there should be a word, I know there is one but I have no idea which. confusement is not a word, but what can fit that description in such a line?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 15:41   Link #3088
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 25
Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
now that I am here anyway, perhaps someone could help me with English
I'm looking for a word, but I have no idea which one. What I can tell you is that it means being confused but it should end with -ment (I think lol)
It goes something like this:

..as if there was something missing. His reaction would be different and as she looked at him she could recognize something. Perhaps fear, perhaps it was ******

at the stars there should be a word, I know there is one but I have no idea which. confusement is not a word, but what can fit that description in such a line?
Yeah, that would be confusion...well, since English is not my native language I used an online translator and a dictionary afterwards...I guess it helped:

Bafflement, Bemusement ("confusion resulting from failure to understand")

Both fit your criteria. Any language experts that would further confirm or deny this possibility?
__________________
:3
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 23:51   Link #3089
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28° 37', North ; 77° 13', East
Age: 24
Puzzlement maybe? It still sounds a bit awkward but its more commonly used than bafflement or befuddlement or be.. etc etc
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 02:13   Link #3090
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bewilderment?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 03:22   Link #3091
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: All over the place...
So I finally decided to kick my Norton habit the other day and switched to Kaspersky. When I was installing Kaspersky, it prompted me to uninstall Spybot, citing Spybot as an incompatible program.

Why is my Kaspy discontent with Spybot?
__________________

Latest Post: Black Lagoon Summaries Update and Volume 1 (VIZ) Impressions… (August 15,2008)
Latest Summary: Elemental Gelade [Volume 14] (July 29, 2008)
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 03:29   Link #3092
Dreamtale
Recursion...
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 28
Because kaspersky is very egoistic sometimes no, seriously! while he has his own antispyware module, i think there's no need in other apps...
Dreamtale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 11:44   Link #3093
Saleh
Inactive
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
So I finally decided to kick my Norton habit the other day and switched to Kaspersky. When I was installing Kaspersky, it prompted me to uninstall Spybot, citing Spybot as an incompatible program.

Why is my Kaspy discontent with Spybot?
You could try installing Spybot after installing Kaspersky if you want to. Softwares like McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, etc usually prompt people to uninstall incompatible softwares or softwares having same functions during installation.
__________________
Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-21, 13:39   Link #3094
mit7059
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Why do I seem to be immune from mosquito bites, while others will get dozens in one night? o_O
Its possible that mosquitoes are biting you but that you are immune from their effects. The reason mosquito bites itch is because most humans are allergic to the mosquito's saliva, a small percentage of the population is not allergic or not as allergic to their saliva and therefore do not have the swelling and itching associated with the bite.
__________________
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit ~Coach Davids

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 22:51   Link #3095
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Mosquitoes are drawn by CO2... it may be that you emit a bit less... or that you emit something else that makes them think "blech".

I seem to recall reading that eating garlic drives them off a bit... but you have to eat a LOT of garlic (which might drive everyone else off as well).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 05:57   Link #3096
toru310
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philippines
How can I be more socially inclined? I need more friends
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 22:05   Link #3097
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Following the clouds North.
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Mosquitoes are drawn by CO2... it may be that you emit a bit less... or that you emit something else that makes them think "blech".

I seem to recall reading that eating garlic drives them off a bit... but you have to eat a LOT of garlic (which might drive everyone else off as well).
And that's why dry ice is perfect for outdoor parties. Just a block in the corner of the yard and all the mosquitoes will end up around the block. Your party will be mosquito-free.
__________________

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 04:37   Link #3098
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toru310 View Post
How can I be more socially inclined? I need more friends
If you're in a situation when you have doubt, just do exactly what you normally won't... then the situation should be inverted..... (it's not a joke btw, cause it works for me)

Unless if you have already have 75% of class as friends and still want more....
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 06:54   Link #3099
ZeBird0
In a tree
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The States
Age: 20
Quote:
If you're in a situation when you have doubt, just do exactly what you normally won't... then the situation should be inverted..... (it's not a joke btw, cause it works for me)
This. And try to be more outgoing (no duh, but I had to say it).
Of course, if your fellow students have nothing in common with you, then it's probably not going to be easy to make them a friend. Try and focus on the similarities.
__________________
ZeBird0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 07:40   Link #3100
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBird0 View Post
This. And try to be more outgoing (no duh, but I had to say it).
Of course, if your fellow students have nothing in common with you, then it's probably not going to be easy to make them a friend. Try and focus on the similarities.
.....start with mention loudly few meme such as "if so it will be nice boat....." or "it's more repetitive than Endless Eight"..... then hope some guys will come approach you after class. However.... i haven't tried this before (always want to through) so no guarantee if it works

Maybe ask random guys out for sport matchs (basketball, soccer...) would be more ordinary method
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.