AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-18, 00:28   Link #2161
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Carrier!? CARRIER?! To address us in singular form?! *Gasp*

No my child, we are not just a carrier. WE ARE A FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLE FLEET!!


We are the faithful servants of her Majesty the Empress! No world shall be beyond our rule! No enemy shall be beyond our wrath!


*chanting music plays in the background*

- Tak
As Commander of the Fighter Wing Fairy Squadron, I can assure all, that this Battle Fleet shall not be overwhelmed by any Ranka air attacks. We shall repel all attempts to disrupt her journey.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 00:54   Link #2162
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Man what is up with the discussion board here in this thread? It's completely different from Ranka's (I thought I expected more disccusion and not constant praise all round).
__________________
Death Header is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 04:38   Link #2163
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hungary
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
That shows the obvious difference in fan-power.
Sheryl even managed to conquer a chapter of space marines led by Chapter Master Tak.
It's mainly because all the Sheryl and Ranka related discussion goes on the Ranka thread currently. and because Sheryl has no questionable deeds.
We discussed her actions and Grace's actions a long time ago. And We pretty much finished with the discussion until the Movie.

Last edited by willyvereb; 2009-08-19 at 08:11.
willyvereb is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 07:52   Link #2164
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
Man what is up with the discussion board here in this thread? It's completely different from Ranka's (I thought I expected more disccusion and not constant praise all round).
Her majesty, Sheryl, is just THAT awesome like my beloved waifu, the great Misa ♥.
And judging from different polls, majority agree too.
__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 08:15   Link #2165
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
What he said.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 10:38   Link #2166
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
Man what is up with the discussion board here in this thread? It's completely different from Ranka's (I thought I expected more disccusion and not constant praise all round).
If you really want a discussion, perhaps you should start one yourself? I'm sure there's enough people here who would indulge you. Thing is, a lot of Sheryl discussions have been bleached white from use. It feels done, over with, and what's left is the strong fanbase.
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 11:20   Link #2167
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Thing is, a lot of Sheryl discussions have been bleached white from use. It feels done, over with, and what's left is the strong fanbase.
That's the problem. All of the questions that I had in mind about Sheryl had already been answered in the previous pages of this thread, thus there's no use in asking them.

I still have one more question though. How come there's so many people that are Sheryl fans compared to Ranka's? It's the comparing Lelouch and Suzaku (Suzaku deserves more than he does right now. He's not even in top 10 on the polls).
__________________
Death Header is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 11:34   Link #2168
mike_s_6
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
I still have one more question though. How come there's so many people that are Sheryl fans compared to Ranka's? It's the comparing Lelouch and Suzaku (Suzaku deserves more than he does right now. He's not even in top 10 on the polls).
For this question, I could only answer for myself, but imagine each and every answer of her fans around here, and we could perhaps make a picture of why she's popular. I bet people like her for different things. I liked her because she's tsundere, plain and simple.
mike_s_6 is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 11:38   Link #2169
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
You really don't wanna go there...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 11:38   Link #2170
Foreshadow
Nyaa~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
That's the problem. All of the questions that I had in mind about Sheryl had already been answered in the previous pages of this thread, thus there's no use in asking them.

I still have one more question though. How come there's so many people that are Sheryl fans compared to Ranka's? It's the comparing Lelouch and Suzaku (Suzaku deserves more than he does right now. He's not even in top 10 on the polls).
Saying Suzaku Deserves more Fans is opinion, Not fact. So it's a difference of opinion that has More Sheryl Fans then Ranka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You really don't wanna go there...
I second this.

Last edited by Foreshadow; 2009-08-19 at 14:27.
Foreshadow is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 13:13   Link #2171
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hungary
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well, why we have more sheryl fans than Ranka fans? Maybe because Ranka is like a child/litle girl. She's extremely naive and innocent, and perhaps cute. But for most of the otaku(and to even non-otaku) liking a female character means liking her as a possible girlfriend too. In japan even if it seriously depends on the middle and high-schooler community it has a hard base of older anime-viewers. Especially the continuation of old shows like Macross Frontier. Back to the point: Ranka's only appealing as girlfriend to a limited degree and it takes out quite a few chances to make her popular. And another thing: She even has a competition on the "cute loli" type in Klan-klan who's a big breasted woman and a cute loli at once. So she's neither the cutest child nor the most appealing female. She has a saving point though. She's Sheryl's rival. That makes the Sheryl-haters root for her and even may Ranka fans.

In contrast Sheryl has great deal in looks(I think she's at the top 3 at almost anyone's rankings for being the best looking female MF character) further enchanced by her wide variety of clothes, very serious amount of maturity, flirting personarlity and tsundere behaviour. Only two of them are usually a win for an anime character. On the top of it she has a more coherent development of character. And perhaps as Ranka she's too a love interest of the protagonist. And perhaps as I said for Ranka Sheryl can gain fans by being Ranka's rival from the group of Ranka-haters.

In short is like we make fight a light cruiser with a battleship.

P.S: I somehow forgot to mention the singing part that takes a great part again. But I think it favors Sheryl more again. May'N is an acomplished singer so her fans having a higher chance of becoming Sheryl fans just because that simple fact.
willyvereb is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 15:03   Link #2172
Foreshadow
Nyaa~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
I'm guessing that if the opposite side comes in and criticizes Ranka by posting bullcrap that isn't helping the discussion here at all, that fits the definition of "trolling". Honestly, I think that this whole "going back and forth" about Ranka's fault is completely nuts; if Sheryl fans are enjoying this whole "bashing Ranka" thing, how come we can't bash Sheryl in the Sheryl thread?

The discussion that we're having right now isn't helping this thread at all.
If this comes off as a little harsh, I'm sorry:

Honestly, Who ever said that Sheryl has never been criticized? No one is bashing Ranka, They're only discussing character flaws - that Sheryl also possesses. True, some people might have a motive around that, but this is a forum to discuss the character. If you want to bring something up in the Sheryl thread then do it. Just make it productive. Set the right example with your actions.
Foreshadow is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 15:04   Link #2173
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
You're absolutely right, DH- it's not helping. But, then again, you're free to do whatsoever you please, provided you don't turn out to be an obnoxious prick towards other fans or get around complaining about reputation and then go around giving others bad rep for the heck of it so... just try not to stir up too much trouble, alright? This subforum already has somewhat of a bad reputation, due to some unbecoming behavior last year.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 15:37   Link #2174
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Quote:
Honestly, Who ever said that Sheryl has never been criticized? No one is bashing Ranka, They're only discussing character flaws - that Sheryl also possesses. True, some people might have a motive around that, but this is a forum to discuss the character. If you want to bring something up in the Sheryl thread then do it. Just make it productive. Set the right example with your actions.
But that's the problem. I haven't seen a single discussion about Sheryl's character flaw compared to Ranka's. If Sheryl didn't have a character flaw, I could categorize her as a "mary-sueish" type of character, but hey, the people that are in the Sheryl thread might bash me if I start a discussion about this type of thing (and I'll probably be neg-repped too.)
__________________
Death Header is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 15:56   Link #2175
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hungary
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well, she's not a mary sue that's sure. Marry Sue is someone without a real character. Sheryl has character. But about her flaws? Well, the only thing people are critising over and over the happenings at ep 20-21. And because neither of the sides can agree on the others' opinion nor form a compromise.
willyvereb is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 16:24   Link #2176
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Well, she's not a mary sue that's sure. Marry Sue is someone without a real character. Sheryl has character. But about her flaws? Well, the only thing people are critising over and over the happenings at ep 20-21. And because neither of the sides can agree on the others' opinion nor form a compromise.
By your definitions, that would mean Lacus Clyne does not fit the definition of a mary sue because she had a character that was better than most characters in GSD. A Mary Sue is someone who is unrealistically perfect compared to regular humans, and Sheryl fits that definition pretty well. Ranka however does not.
__________________
Death Header is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 17:03   Link #2177
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
By your definitions, that would mean Lacus Clyne does not fit the definition of a mary sue because she had a character that was better than most characters in GSD. A Mary Sue is someone who is unrealistically perfect compared to regular humans, and Sheryl fits that definition pretty well. Ranka however does not.
You're right, she doesn't (however poorly handled her character was, I wouldn't go so far). But then, neither does Sheryl - weren't you paying attention to the series? Her pride, stubbornness and presumption early on? Those are pretty big hurdles for someone who's tentatively being labeled a "Mary Sue".
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 17:06   Link #2178
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
By your definitions, that would mean Lacus Clyne does not fit the definition of a mary sue because she had a character that was better than most characters in GSD. A Mary Sue is someone who is unrealistically perfect compared to regular humans, and Sheryl fits that definition pretty well. Ranka however does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You're right, she doesn't (however poorly handled her character was, I wouldn't go so far). But then, neither does Sheryl - weren't you paying attention to the series? Her pride, stubbornness and presumption early on? Those are pretty big hurdles for someone who's tentatively being labeled a "Mary Sue".
To be quite honest, I don't think any of the characters in this show fall into the "Mary Sue" category, at least in my opinion.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 17:08   Link #2179
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You're right, she doesn't (however poorly handled her character was, I wouldn't go so far). But then, neither does Sheryl - weren't you paying attention to the series? Her pride, stubbornness and presumption early on? Those are pretty big hurdles for someone who's tentatively being labeled a "Mary Sue".
Except that Sheryl wasn't presumptuous.
__________________
Death Header is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 17:13   Link #2180
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hungary
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
You're defending her? Well, you're right, but she seemed one at first.
willyvereb is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.