AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-16, 07:49   Link #1941
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
To try to put it into a cogent argument: Ranka *partly* did leave Frontier to pursue a vague idea that she could communicate with the Vajra and therefore bring about peace between them and humanity. But she *partly* also ran away, because she could not deal with Alto not being in love with her like she wanted him to be, and that she was being used by Leon ( and with Altos consent ) as a weapon against the Vajra.
I think it is a normal affect that you want to be far away from a dissapointment in your life. Not everybody can handle it quite uncomplicated. Just let me try how the scene would look like the other way:
"Hey Alto. I did everything to change myself that you would pay more attention to me. I am in love with although you dumped me for Sheryl. But still can we stay friends?" Does not sound quite a smoot story from my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Of course there are more complications in the fact that Ranka shortly before that moment had declared that she was okay with her song being used against the Vajra, therefore taking on a definite responsibility for the safety of the citizens of Frontier.
We should recap this maybe. Since the time where it came out that her songs influence the regular communication of the vajra she has been systematically pushed to be more and more of a warfare tool rather than to sing for joy, love, fun etc.

I very doubt that she wanted to sing for the people of frontier although it is all just PR initialized by Grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
A lot of people, me included, do have a problem with that, because assuming the responsibility for the very lives of a few million people should carry along with it a certain gravity and Ranka did not seem to grasp that concept very well, instead seeming ( to me ) to make it all about Alto.
Yeah, the responsibility lies in a 16 to 17 year old girl with uncontrollable ololol powers while the government and military wets their pants and LAI is uncapable to release weapons in time... Well, I don't feel quite well about relying on such a constellation of "powers"...
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-08-16, 08:03   Link #1942
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
I think it is a normal affect that you want to be far away from a dissapointment in your life. Not everybody can handle it quite uncomplicated. Just let me try how the scene would look like the other way:
"Hey Alto. I did everything to change myself that you would pay more attention to me. I am in love with although you dumped me for Sheryl. But still can we stay friends?" Does not sound quite a smoot story from my view.
Alto didnīt dump her ( well, maybe from her perspective he did ^^ ), since the two never were together.

And I am a bit lost as to how she changed "everything" about herself for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
We should recap this maybe. Since the time where it came out that her songs influence the regular communication of the vajra she has been systematically pushed to be more and more of a warfare tool rather than to sing for joy, love, fun etc.

I very doubt that she wanted to sing for the people of frontier although it is all just PR initialized by Grace.
In episode 18 she offered herself to sing, although President Glass didnīt want her to, trying to keep her as the ace in the hole. She specifically told Ozma in episode 16 that she was willing to sing for Frontier. The whole "I sing only for Alto!" came about in episode 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Yeah, the responsibility lies in a 16 to 17 year old girl with uncontrollable ololol powers while the government and military wets their pants and LAI is uncapable to release weapons in time... Well, I don't feel quite well about relying on such a constellation of "powers"...
You take what you get in an imperfect universe.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2009-08-17, 12:58   Link #1943
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
@justavisitor:
You raise an interesting distinction between the terms "running away" and "running towards". If we're viewing Ranka's decision purely in terms of "doing her job" versus "seeking peace", then this does become an issue of semantics: the choice of phrase only reflects what any individual feels that she "ought to do". You would be able to just as easily argue then, by that same token, that to stay on Frontier and ignore her connection with the Vajra would be "running away" from her heritage.

However, there's more to it than that. Ranka's choice isn't one between her duty towards Frontier and her connection to the Vajra; she decides to become Frontier's weapon based only on the hope that Alto will like her the more for it. When she gives up on that hope, she has no reason to continue that role.

The problem is that Ranka's decisions are presented less as a conflict in her values (and a desire to stand up for what she believes in) than they are reactions to her feelings for Alto. This is partially an issue of timing; had Ranka made her decision to leave at a point where her relationship at Alto was at a high point and she felt she had something to lose, then you could clearly say that she was exercising a choice.

Also, if Ranka had left at a point when her hurt feelings had settled, you would be able to say that her decision was more deliberate. But given that she leaves just at a point when her wounds are still fresh, it's hard to tell whether she's leaving with Ai because she absolutely must know more about her connection to the Vajra, or simply because it offers an escape from her feelings (in much the same way her trek around Folmo did, earlier in the series).

I think part of this also has to do with the relative lack of emphasis on Ranka's connection to the Vajra in comparison to her thoughts regarding Alto. If we could be given clearer idea of what Ranka felt towards the Vajra (or better yet, what that connection told her), then it may go a long way towards establishing her desire to return Ai to his family as a personally relevant decision for her, rather than as just "the other alternative".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I think I'll have to kindly disagree with this statement about Ranka running away because Alto didn't love her. I'm pretty sure that she didn't go flying off because Alto didn't love her the way she wanted. Going back to the scene where Ai-kun molted in front of Ranka and finally realizing that Ai was actually a Vajra, this is where her memories kick in and like she claimed, she began to regain her memory and realized how much of a connection she had to the Vajra. Kind of like what 4Tran said, it was an instinct.
While this is the sort of character transformation that one might expect in a series like this, the story doesn't flesh this specific idea out (that is, the transition from her old viewpoint to her present one isn't explored). It doesn't help either that from his introduction in episode eight, Ai seems to be the one whom Ranka goes to when she's distanced from Alto.

As a consequence of the factors discussed above, it seems difficult to separate Ranka's decision to leave from her feelings regarding Alto, at least in the form that the story is currently presented.
__________________
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2009-08-17, 13:41   Link #1944
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
While this is the sort of character transformation that one might expect in a series like this, the story doesn't flesh this specific idea out (that is, the transition from her old viewpoint to her present one isn't explored). It doesn't help either that from his introduction in episode eight, Ai seems to be the one whom Ranka goes to when she's distanced from Alto.

As a consequence of the factors discussed above, it seems difficult to separate Ranka's decision to leave from her feelings regarding Alto, at least in the form that the story is currently presented.
Well to be fair, Ai-kun is always looking for her

I see your point and it does seem rather difficult to separate her intentions for leaving but I think the conversation between Ranka and Alto right before Ai-kun shows up reinforces her desire to return Ai-kun and bring peace between everyone. I'm not denying that Ranka left because of her feelings for Alto because it probably has something to do with it, but her statement of "Everyone wants to live free, don't they?" seems idealistic. I take it as her desire to try and do something that can create peace.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2009-08-17, 14:48   Link #1945
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
@Swampstorm

Your post has raised some interesting issues, and I am trying to present my case...I may have to use some extreme cases in the following paragraph, but those extreme cases are not meant to be disrespectful in any way:

1)I don't think Ranka decides to become Frontier's weapon based only on the hope that Alto will like her the more for it..sure Alto is a big part, but what Alto is asking (to destroy Vajra and protect MF) is not wrong on surface..I doubt Ranka will do evil thing just because Alto wants her to do..Make Alto smile and protect MF are not mutually exclusive..others may think it's 90% alto and 10% for the ppl in mf, but I think Alto is not the only reason for Ranka to join..she also tries to do good things to others

2)Alto's feeling cannot stop Ranka from leaving. Otherwise, Ranka won't ask him to go with her...imagine if that's what Alto replied, "honey, don't go, I love you!!" (Rip off his shirt to show that "I love Ranka" taboo in his chest) "See I always love you!!!"...based on your previous post, then Ranka has a good chance to abandon her plan?? In my opinion, no, Ranka wants to leave because of a much more important reason

3)That's why it's important to let Ai-kun evolve right in front of Ranka's eye...at that point, when everyone thinks of Vajra, he/she will imagine a cold-blooded monster that can only yell "roar!!" and likes to eat baby...but Ai-kun makes Ranka think otherwise..not because Ai-kun is cute XD, but during the time when Ai-kun is Ranka's pet, Ranka thinks Ai-kun can communicate with her!!! whenever she is sad, ai-kun seems trying to comfort her...That adds to be another reason why all of sudden Ranka decides to leave...because now she knows communication can work, albeit the chance may be slim

4)Lastly, had Ranka left with Macross Quarter, it's easier to say Ranka wants to separate from Alto..but she left with a VF-27...where can she go after traveling to Vajra's planet?? Fold to earth? then she really leaves the ppl in MF behind, and that's not what Ranka will do...and with the Fold tech, she may go back to MF just in a week's time (got to rewatch the episode to see the timeline between her departure and the capture from Grace)...Therefore I always suggest that Ranka intends to go to Vajra's planet to talk, and she will go back to MF immediately afterward..There aren't enough supply to support them in a tiny VF-27..and since she has to come back, Alto's feeling won't play a big factor at all

Based on my four points, I really think "Go out to search for peace" is really what drives Ranka to her departure.
__________________
Come and join Ranka Lee Fanclub !!! Join our club and you will see
1)Ranka pics 2)Ranka/Alto pic 3)Relatively Sane discussion about Ranka 4)amv for Ranka
To all old and new Sheryl fans:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2009-08-17, 18:33   Link #1946
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
@justavisitor
I'm not suggesting that the decision to become Frontier's weapon is good or evil in itself. Nor, for that matter, am I suggesting that Ranka isn't concerned with the general welfare of the people on Frontier. I'm more interested in her decision-making process.

While I do think that Ranka acts with good intentions, her reliance on Alto's opinion in episode seventeen suggests that her convictions towards both Frontier and the Vajra aren't particularily strong. Ranka's not concerned with the specifics of "why" Frontier needs to be at war with the Vajra; it's enough for her to know that Alto believes in it.

Likewise, her attitude towards the parade and her conversation with Brera in episode nineteen suggest that her desire to sing has much more to do with Alto than it does with a specific desire to reach out to the people on Frontier. It's not that Ranka doesn't care about the people, of course; it's more that she doesn't quite grasp the magnitude of what she's signed on for. This, in turn, hits her quite suddenly during episode twenty-one at the funeral, when all eyes are suddenly turned towards her for hope.

While Alto can't stop Ranka from leaving, it's at a point when she's already feeling resigned about the matter. While I can't specifically comment on your hypothetical scene as there are many ways in which a writer could make it play out, I will note that had Ranka left Frontier while under the belief that Alto loved her, her convictions regarding the Vajra may have come across as stronger.

Likewise, with Ai, her encounter with him in the woods comes at a point when she's just been overwhelmed at the funeral. This, too, makes it difficult to ascertain whether her decision was made with some deliberation, or if Ai had simply popped up at the right time.

While I can't comment on what Ranka intended to do after talking to the Vajra (or if she had considered it, for that matter), I don't think that the possibility of her return detracts from the idea that she may have wanted some distance from him. Were this the case, it wouldn't be an isolated occurance, either; she showed this sort of reaction during her temporary falling out with Ozma, back in episode five.
__________________
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2009-08-17, 20:41   Link #1947
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
hmm glad to know our difference between this subject: (it also gives me a good chance to review my "theory" or more importantly, the feeling about the series)

I could probably agree with your statement, from "While I do think that Ranka acts with good intentions...to it's more that she doesn't quite grasp the magnitude of what she's signed on for" but then, maybe this is where our difference really starts when Ranka sings alone in front of millions of Vajra while Alto has to fly off with his VF-25

to me, the scene shows that she has started to follow her own concept about the war between human and vajra...before that incident she was keen to depend on advices from Alto...but that scene shows that she cares and she wanna to do something in her own way.

so, Ranka's mature process is something like this, she got her power, but doesn't know what to do with it -->asks Alto for advice -->witness the horror first hand-->memory comes back-->Her concept of war between human and Vajra is finally complete and she starts to follow her own will (singing in front of millions of Vajra)--fully accepts her destiny (episode 25)

Therefore, before ep 19, she didn't have her own view on the war, but after witnessing the horror first hand+memory starts to come back, the Ranka that sings in front of millions of Vajra in ep 20? has already become a more mature Ranka and she finally has her own concepts about the war...so that Ranka + discovering the secret of ai-kun makes her want to search for peace in her own way

Well, maybe I make too much out of that "Ranka singing in front of millions of Vajra"'s scene...but hey I am a Ranka fan, and I have tried my best to become objective
__________________
Come and join Ranka Lee Fanclub !!! Join our club and you will see
1)Ranka pics 2)Ranka/Alto pic 3)Relatively Sane discussion about Ranka 4)amv for Ranka
To all old and new Sheryl fans:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2009-08-17, 23:15   Link #1948
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Quote:
In episode 18 she offered herself to sing, although President Glass didnīt want her to, trying to keep her as the ace in the hole. She specifically told Ozma in episode 16 that she was willing to sing for Frontier. The whole "I sing only for Alto!" came about in episode 19.
President Glass ordered the Ranka's bodyguards to retrieve Ranka at all costs, so I would think opposite of what you just said. President Glass wanted her to sing at the concert, no matter the cost. The whole "I sing only for Alto" only came up when Brera convinced her to think what her songs were really for.

To me, I think that working so hard in order for Alto to reciprocate his feelings to Ranka just makes Ranka a hard worker; when Alto didn't reciprocate his feelings back to Ranka, Ranka felt crushed because all her hard work had probably gone to waste. I could probably understand Ranka's justification for leaving Frontier (although Ranka a few different reasons in mind)

Quote:
Therefore, before ep 19, she didn't have her own view on the war, but after witnessing the horror first hand+memory starts to come back, the Ranka that sings in front of millions of Vajra in ep 20? has already become a more mature Ranka and she finally has her own concepts about the war...so that Ranka + discovering the secret of ai-kun makes her want to search for peace in her own way
I think that this is the point where Ranka matures considerably. Instead of relying on the people that are around her, Ranka decided that she must do something drastic in order to bring peace between the Vajra and the humans, and I applaud her for that.

edit: How come this thread isn't turning out like Sheryl's? All the Ranka fans should start honouring Ranka for god's sakes (like in the Sheryl thread). There's an enormous amount of campaigning going on in that thread so I don't think it's wrong for me to start a campaign on Ranka in this thread is it?
__________________

Last edited by Death Header; 2009-08-19 at 00:41.
Death Header is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 05:20   Link #1949
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hungary
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Man...this kind of question tends to return every month.
Let's see my take on it:
1.) Ranka decided to be a weapon of Frontier because she thought it's a good thing to help and save everyone. And perhaps because it helps Alto too and if she does something as great as that he may come to love her.
2.)But things gone somehow wrong. Her connection with the Vajra strenghtens and their pain causes pain for her too. She slowly faces with the difficulty of being humanity's saviour.
3.) Then she suddenly has the worst day ever. She catches Alto with Sheryl and misunderstood it(or maybe not...it's really confusing with an ending like that). Unknown to her every emotion she makes reflects on the Vajra and they suddenly attack Frontier from inside. Chaos ensures, but she hardly notices it and still occupied with the thought she "lost to Sheryl"(triangle ending again confuses things). With some help she manages to sing but it has the opposite effect. She experiences the weight of her responsibilites with full force the first time. She sees many deaths and dead(even the death of people she knows/close to her). And then faces she the fact she was used as a tool.
4.) In the end she can't bear it. The responsibility, "Losing Alto"(thanks Kawamori...really), the guilt, her revelations(about being a military and political tool). It was too much for her. But Ai-kun managed to comfort her a bit and when she found out Ai-kun's a Vajra too it gave her hope. She may be able to save everything if she pacifies the Vajra. perhaps it's partially her own curiosity about her lost memories. She "knew" no one would ever believe her or let her go. Her only hope was Alto who may understand her and follow her to the journey.

That's the story about Ranka's leaving. Well, to me Ranka's actions were immature and foolish, but wasn't only focused on Alto. She's a good person and kind so it's natural she wants to help the people around her. The problem is she quickly backs off at the face of hardships. She's somewhat weak-willed who goes with the flow of things.
And my problem is that everyone pampers her, no one makes her face with the harsh truth. The only exceptions are Sheryl and Brea(even if only partially and for only few scenes)

Last edited by willyvereb; 2009-08-19 at 08:14.
willyvereb is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 08:14   Link #1950
gentlewater
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post

That's the story about Ranka's leaving. Well, to me Ranka's actions were immature and foolish, but wasn't only focused on Alto. She's a good person and kind so it's natural she wants to help the people around her. The problem is she quickly backs off at the face of hardships. She's somewhat weak-willed who goes with the flow of things.
And my problem is that everyone pampers her, no one makes her face with the harsh truth. The only exceptions are Sheryl and Brea(even if only partially and for only few scenes)
Well, as a Ranka fan, I didnít see it that way. She refused to sing when she saw alto and Sheryl together and for me that was her lowest moment ever but despite that when she asked to be that bait/weapon she accepted it and that only showed that she is not a coward she is not weak-willed as you pointed out. If she was, she wonít have the courage to leave frontier or she wonít be able to make decision on her own. You said everyone pampers her I didnít see it that way, she is love and care by everyone and that was the opposite of Sheryl so sad donít you thinkÖ You said no one makes her face the harsh truth the fact that she already facing it a long time ago.
gentlewater is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 08:26   Link #1951
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hungary
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
She is weak-willed. I don't know if she's a coward...probably not because of her reckless action at Ep 13(Making your first live concert at a battlefield from a Variable Fighter is pretty daring). And she sang because of Brea's and Alto's words. Well weak-willed not exactly true to her as you said. But the immature is right in every way. She thinks about the kindness to her as granted and same with her wishes. She thinks if she wants something she must have it. Like the case with the singing or Alto. That's why she's so shocked by the rooftop scene. She held her hopes a way too high and that's what happened.
Well, being down by seeing her dreams of her love are crumbled(even if it's only a misunderstanding) is understandable. But Ranka's the current saviour of Frontier, being useless at the times of need is unacceptable of her. I know those are inhuman demands, but being someone whom everyone depends on is surely harsh.
And about the pampering. Then who complained to her? Who scolded her?(well, Ozma a bit, but even he instantly backed off). Who was mean to her? No one. No matter what she did even if she caused the deaths of thousands or even millions, no one scolded her. Just imagine the reaction of the citizens of Frontier. They saw a huge Ranka-hologram along with the Vajra main force. It's a reason enough for many of them to associate her with the vajra thus making her the reason of most of the deaths in the last battle. Same with the case when she failed to calm down the Vajra with her song at ep 20. And we saw not a single sign of anger towards her. That's what I mean everyone pampers her.
willyvereb is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 08:47   Link #1952
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlewater View Post
Well, as a Ranka fan, I didnít see it that way. She refused to sing when she saw alto and Sheryl together and for me that was her lowest moment ever but despite that when she asked to be that bait/weapon she accepted it and that only showed that she is not a coward she is not weak-willed as you pointed out. If she was, she wonít have the courage to leave frontier or she wonít be able to make decision on her own. You said everyone pampers her I didnít see it that way, she is love and care by everyone and that was the opposite of Sheryl so sad donít you thinkÖ You said no one makes her face the harsh truth the fact that she already facing it a long time ago.

I think that "bait" scene is one of the best scenes in the series...I really like Ranka in that scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post

edit: How come this thread isn't turning out like Sheryl's? All the Ranka fans should start honouring Ranka for god's sakes (like in the Sheryl thread). There's an enormous amount of campaigning going on in that thread so I don't think it's wrong for me to start a campaign on Ranka in this thread is it?

How do you plan to start a campaign on Ranak in this thread?? Maybe I can help
__________________
Come and join Ranka Lee Fanclub !!! Join our club and you will see
1)Ranka pics 2)Ranka/Alto pic 3)Relatively Sane discussion about Ranka 4)amv for Ranka
To all old and new Sheryl fans:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 11:08   Link #1953
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post

How do you plan to start a campaign on Ranak in this thread?? Maybe I can help
Oh sure. I even made a signature dedicated to Ranka x Alto. Maybe I should post it in the Ranka fan club.

Plus like the Sheryl thread, the arguments that are in this thread are turning bleach-white; how come we can't just leave the thread alone like Sheryl's and not criticize every goddamn thing that Ranka does?
__________________
Death Header is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 11:20   Link #1954
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post

Plus like the Sheryl thread, the arguments that are in this thread are turning bleach-white; how come we can't just leave the thread alone like Sheryl's and not criticize every goddamn thing that Ranka does?
Erm... It has been left for some time you know... It's just uhh, how should I put this... 'Differing opinions' can light up debates-debacles-semantics. And well, one good pointer that you should always take is not to mention the 'why the lopsided popularity' things in your post. Quite a lot of time people people here tends to jump for the bait if it were mentioned
__________________

Natsuki Hyuga is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 13:25   Link #1955
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
well my sig is promoting Ranka Fan club already XD

And the last time this thread got "revived" was because someone posted a Ranka's special OP..then someone from the other side started to criticize Ranka by responding to a post from a Ranka's supporter that is above the post of the Ranka's special OP...but that post from Ranka's supporter is 3 months old already!!! Not saying anyone is at fault, but it just shows you the hostile environment in here as Ranka fan can't even post a Ranka's special OP without attracting the other side

For reference, please start reading alu546's post at page 83 in this thread
__________________
Come and join Ranka Lee Fanclub !!! Join our club and you will see
1)Ranka pics 2)Ranka/Alto pic 3)Relatively Sane discussion about Ranka 4)amv for Ranka
To all old and new Sheryl fans:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 14:34   Link #1956
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
And the last time this thread got "revived" was because someone posted a Ranka's special OP..then someone from the other side started to criticize Ranka by responding to a post from a Ranka's supporter that is above the post of the Ranka's special OP...but that post from Ranka's supporter is 3 months old already!!! Not saying anyone is at fault, but it just shows you the hostile environment in here as Ranka fan can't even post a Ranka's special OP without attracting the other side
I'm guessing that if the opposite side comes in and criticizes Ranka by posting bullcrap that isn't helping the discussion here at all, that fits the definition of "trolling". Honestly, I think that this whole "going back and forth" about Ranka's fault is completely nuts; if Sheryl fans are enjoying this whole "bashing Ranka" thing, how come we can't bash Sheryl in the Sheryl thread?

The discussion that we're having right now isn't helping this thread at all.
__________________
Death Header is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 16:01   Link #1957
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlewater View Post
Well, as a Ranka fan, I didnít see it that way. She refused to sing when she saw alto and Sheryl together and for me that was her lowest moment ever.
As opposed to the times she's watched Sheryl and Alto kissing? Going back over the series and looking at what evidence she has to go on Sheryl and Alto are a couple. Alto rescues Ranka from the Hydra and then goes and gets his kiss from Sheryl , while kicking up a fuss about kissing Ranka. Alto rescues Sheryl from falling to her death and they fly off into a romantic sunset minus Sheryl's undies.

It shouldn't be news to her at that point that Alto and Sheryl are regularly kissyface and she and Alto aren't.

If she'd had any significant awareness of what was going on, the point when she sang and the Vajra didn't stop and then badly wounded her best friend would be a lower point.

As would the point she realised that the paper airplane that gave her the courage to sing in Folmo mall came from Sheryl and Alto on a date. Or the point when Micheal tells her that Alto's gone off to Gallia 4 to go to Sheryl's Concert rather than hers. Or when Alto was pointing a gun at her. Or when Grace has enslaved her mind to get her to destroy the fleet.
dahak is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 16:46   Link #1958
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
As opposed to the times she's watched Sheryl and Alto kissing? Going back over the series and looking at what evidence she has to go on Sheryl and Alto are a couple. Alto rescues Ranka from the Hydra and then goes and gets his kiss from Sheryl , while kicking up a fuss about kissing Ranka. Alto rescues Sheryl from falling to her death and they fly off into a romantic sunset minus Sheryl's undies.

It shouldn't be news to her at that point that Alto and Sheryl are regularly kissyface and she and Alto aren't.

If she'd had any significant awareness of what was going on, the point when she sang and the Vajra didn't stop and then badly wounded her best friend would be a lower point.

As would the point she realised that the paper airplane that gave her the courage to sing in Folmo mall came from Sheryl and Alto on a date. Or the point when Micheal tells her that Alto's gone off to Gallia 4 to go to Sheryl's Concert rather than hers. Or when Alto was pointing a gun at her. Or when Grace has enslaved her mind to get her to destroy the fleet.
You know, twisting events to fit your preference doesn't exactly prove anything. I can be a blind fan boy when I want to but I wouldn't go to these extents. I wouldn't mind so much if you were joking but I get the impression that you're not from this post.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 19:04   Link #1959
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Sheryl used to say that on every other appearance she had, at the early stages of the series, so... I don't think you were paying attention, after all.

And now, she's arrogant, eh? Quite a trait, very unbecoming of a Mary Sue, no?
Well she was quite arrogant and self confident at the beginning of the series



Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
1.) Ranka decided to be a weapon of Frontier because she thought it's a good thing to help and save everyone. And perhaps because it helps Alto too and if she does something as great as that he may come to love her.
Well. This is one of the first mistakes you could do. First of all, she did not intended or decided to be a weapon against the vajra. More this was intended by Grace as she dumped Sheryl as a failed experiment.
Grace became her new manager by governal decree although she wished to continue to work with her old manager and here the real manipulation of her personality really starts to go downwards and ends up with her as a living shield against the Vajra.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2009-08-19 at 19:28.
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-08-19, 20:23   Link #1960
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
I'm guessing that if the opposite side comes in and criticizes Ranka by posting bullcrap that isn't helping the discussion here at all, that fits the definition of "trolling". Honestly, I think that this whole "going back and forth" about Ranka's fault is completely nuts; if Sheryl fans are enjoying this whole "bashing Ranka" thing, how come we can't bash Sheryl in the Sheryl thread?
1.) What "bullcrap" is being posted? I am sure you can provide examples.
2.) If you got a problem with Sheryl, feel free to post about it in her thread. There are many people happy to debate you, I am sure.
3.) It is very obvious that there are a lot of people who have problems with Rankas behaviour and her as a character, as there are also people who do not see those same things as problematic. Hence, discussion.

Quite frankly, I find these constant tries to tell people through the rose to shut up as very unbecoming of a discussion board. People want to discuss about Ranka, and so they do. If there is no interest anymore, then people will stop doing so. Nobody is forcing the people who do not like these discussions to look, so they have no place telling others to shut up for their sakes.


BTW, if anybody is wondering why I am still posting, although I am on vacation in Paraguay, my parents got a flatrate connection ( although a slooooow one for my German sensibilities ) and, "surprisingly", most of my family and friends got married and have kids by now, so I got a bit more free time than I expected.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.