AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-19, 18:37   Link #21
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
K-On has a ton of product placement, but most of it is subtle and makes sense within context, as opposed to Sunrise very noisily sucking off Pizza Hut in a dark alley... i.e. Code Geass.
Old 2009-08-20, 12:07   Link #22
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd do that soon; rumors are floating around that licensed DVDs will be available as early as December.
I haven't seen it in shops in my area though. There are still some sources on the Internet that allow me to get my hands on Monster, if I want to watch it that is. But there are others for me to watch before Monster. So yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This has gotten so far from ARIA with the recommendation of Monster so I might as well put out.

Darker than Black is like slice of life if you replace the life with awesome, so it's slice of awesome.
Darker than Black is, no doubt, out of my scope. Even though some of the recommendations given here are, as I said, out of my scope, I won't say "Please keep the suggestions strictly to what I'm seeking", or something, because it's totally pointless as what's "I'm-seeking" for me may not be what "I'm-seeking" for others. Everyone's standards are different. Besides, I might even get to know anime that I somehow like even though they aren't what I'm currently looking for, just like Monster.

Oops.. I talked too much useless stuff. Just came to mind so I typed it out.
But yea, Darker than Black is currently a no-no for me. Lol. And thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
There's To Heart which is classic slice-of-life.

For something along the lines of Bartender, there's Ristorante Paradiso and Shigofumi. Haven't seen Ristorante Paradiso yet but fans of the slice of life genre have been praising it. Shigofumi was fun, gave off vibes similar to Someday Dreamers.
To Heart also has romance in it, right? I don't mind that but... I already have tons similar to it so I would like to try slice-of-life with less romance.

Ristorante Paradiso is okay. I can see the slice-of-life aspect of it, but the story doesn't appeal to me. (I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread that my tastes are somewhat different from most people. Lulz.) Even though I'm looking for slice-of-life stuff, it's still quite a big genre itself. There may be something specific that I'm seeking, in this genre.

Shigofumi reminds me of Shinigami no Ballad, though they aren't the same. I'll see how things go first, before deciding to get it. And I'm half way trying to hunt for Someday Dreamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da~Mike View Post
I still remember Haibane Renmei more fondly than Aria though. Maybe because the "suteki pawa", "hazukashi something kinshi...", "dekai osewa desu", "ara ara", and all those other "moe" elements that were piled on as the series progressed became irritating to me.

I first came across Haibane Renmei by pure chance actually. I remember using one of anidb's functions to recommend anime titles based on the shows that I liked and didn't like, and Haibane Renmei and Someday's Dreamers came up. I read the reviews (very positive on Anime News Network) and decided to buy the DVDs for them (they were already licensed).

I even remember one of my friend's introducing to Aria by showing me one episode of the weird, fat, martian cat Aria that looks nothing like a cat...
That actually put me off until I decided to give it a shot and ended up really liking the series, except for certain elements of it.

I'm been rather verbose, sorry.. But essentially what I've been trying to say is that you'll probably like it if you give it a try.

Oh and I forgot a title from a few years ago that I never watched beyond whatever episodes a friend showed me: He is my master.
Jam packed with "moe and ecchi" if I remember correctly, and probably boomed at the height of the "maid fetish" in Japan.

Hope that helps again.
I've never had any problem with "ara ara *giggles*", "hazukashii serifu kinshi", "ehh..?" and all those stuff. I never find them annoying. Instead, I find them to be a contributing factor to what makes ARIA enjoyable. I couldn't help but to smirk a bit every time Akari "ehh.." after Aika says her famous phrase. It's slightly fun, slightly funny, slightly playful, and downright lighthearted. Not many anime out there are like this these days. (None that I can think of.)

I know what you mean. I know the experience of "don't-like-it-previously-but-now-after-watching-it-I-like-it" all too well. But sometimes there are certain elements in a show that you clearly know will tickle some of your sensitive nerves, be it because of beliefs or values or principles or simply your interests. And then there is the factor of time; how much of it do you have. So it's a bet.
(Having said that, I know I may be wrong about I not going to like Haibane Renmei, but the potential alone, that I'd like it after watching it, is not enough reason for me to watch it, since tons of other anime also have the same potential, the same reason, and I clearly don't have enough time. Bah... I'm being long-winded. Pardon me. Lol.)

And I totally have no interest in "maid fetish". Lol! "Too much" maids in an anime can really turn me off.

Quote:
K-On has a ton of product placement, but most of it is subtle and makes sense within context, as opposed to Sunrise very noisily sucking off Pizza Hut in a dark alley... i.e. Code Geass.
I'm still thinking if I should watch K-On. The way the characters are drawn may be cute, but something doesn't interest me. Given the small amount of episodes, I may end up watching it though.
Old 2009-08-20, 13:45   Link #23
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genstone View Post

To Heart also has romance in it, right? I don't mind that but... I already have tons similar to it so I would like to try slice-of-life with less romance.
The romance is much more downplayed than you'd expect. To be honest, there's really no romantic developments in the show other than some mild exploration behind the existing pair. Simply put, romance is not a major driver behind To Heart's story...actually, I'm not exactly sure what is the primary driver behind To Heart if there's even one.

The reason I picked out To Heart is because it has a very similar lazy and laid back atmosphere that you find in Aria. The audience is literally presented with a slice of high school life and all the little issues that crop up.

For a long time To Heart was the benchmark that all other slice-of-life animes was compared against. More recently though Aria has taken on that role.
Old 2009-08-20, 16:14   Link #24
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
(Having said that, I know I may be wrong about I not going to like Haibane Renmei, but the potential alone, that I'd like it after watching it, is not enough reason for me to watch it, since tons of other anime also have the same potential, the same reason, and I clearly don't have enough time. Bah... I'm being long-winded. Pardon me. Lol.)
Having said that, Haibane Renmei is one of the most critically acclaimed series out there, so it may be the case that it has more potential for being a masterpiece in your eyes than other series.
Old 2009-08-21, 06:32   Link #25
Da~Mike

Quote:
I've never had any problem with "ara ara *giggles*", "hazukashii serifu kinshi", "ehh..?" and all those stuff. I never find them annoying. Instead, I find them to be a contributing factor to what makes ARIA enjoyable. I couldn't help but to smirk a bit every time Akari "ehh.." after Aika says her famous phrase. It's slightly fun, slightly funny, slightly playful, and downright lighthearted. Not many anime out there are like this these days. (None that I can think of.)

I know what you mean. I know the experience of "don't-like-it-previously-but-now-after-watching-it-I-like-it" all too well. But sometimes there are certain elements in a show that you clearly know will tickle some of your sensitive nerves, be it because of beliefs or values or principles or simply your interests. And then there is the factor of time; how much of it do you have. So it's a bet.

And I totally have no interest in "maid fetish". Lol! "Too much" maids in an anime can really turn me off.

I'm still thinking if I should watch K-On. The way the characters are drawn may be cute, but something doesn't interest me. Given the small amount of episodes, I may end up watching it though.
It seems we have remotely similar preferences based on your comments on the many suggestions posted here so far.
There's far too many aspects of Japanese Otaku culture that I may never appreciate or understand...
But Japanese culture in general? Intriguing.

But yes, I understand what you mean. All those "catch-phrases" added a certain charm to the characters in Aria but maybe it was the voice acting that was grating...
I really enjoy the Aria manga series though. It's effectively the unadulterated version of Aria that Kozue Amano wanted to portray. The anime production just had to inject certain factors to the anime series that wasn't as pronounced in the manga (but was eventually included in the manga anyway? ). Prime example is the disappearance of grumpy old man, who was replaced by the little girl Ai.

And yes, I don't normally spend large amounts of time to consider what attracts me to something or another, and why I like something or don't (that's what philosophers, psychologists and anthropologists do ).
And unfortunately yes, we don't have the benefit of time but rather we all have a lack of it given the nature of our society.

Lastly, about K-On, a series that drew my attention initially due to the massive hype surrounding it. The fastest way to find out whether you'll like it is to:

1) Check out the manga on One Manga. It'll only take you 10-15 minutes to read through about half the anime's content or more.
http://www.onemanga.com/K-ON/

2) The anime is essentially identical to the manga but with more 'moe moe kyun' (as they described it themselves). If you like that kind of stuff (I'm guessing you might not), or heck, just browse an image board full of Mio pictures. If you like what you see, you'll love K-On.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Having said that, Haibane Renmei is one of the most critically acclaimed series out there, so it may be the case that it has more potential for being a masterpiece in your eyes than other series.

Last edited by Da~Mike; 2009-08-21 at 06:35. Reason: remotely...
Old 2009-08-21, 09:16   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
If you're an audio nerd like me, you'll like K-On, but be slightly disappointed and wish it focused more on the music and less on the moe. This is how I feel about K-On. I enjoyed it, but I wished there was a stronger focus on the music.

Plus Mio rocking AKG K701s in episode 5 was epic win.
Old 2009-08-22, 05:40   Link #27
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
The romance is much more downplayed than you'd expect. To be honest, there's really no romantic developments in the show other than some mild exploration behind the existing pair. Simply put, romance is not a major driver behind To Heart's story...actually, I'm not exactly sure what is the primary driver behind To Heart if there's even one.

The reason I picked out To Heart is because it has a very similar lazy and laid back atmosphere that you find in Aria. The audience is literally presented with a slice of high school life and all the little issues that crop up.

For a long time To Heart was the benchmark that all other slice-of-life animes was compared against. More recently though Aria has taken on that role.
That's where the problem is: high school life. (Well, isn't really a "problem" literally, but in my current anime hunt, it is.) I already have too many school life anime in my collection, and I thought I would want to find some other kinds. I'd seen too many uniforms and school buildings for the last year or two.

I understand To Heart has somewhat the same laid back atmosphere such as that in ARIA, but that kind of air alone isn't the only thing I'm looking for. I don't really know how to put what I'm thinking now into words, but ARIA is more suitable for me than To Heart is, since you said ARIA has taken on the role of being the benchmark.

Something is different between these two anime, and even though I can't identify it, it's something that works very differently for me than for other people. At times I was tempted to watch an anime that had received numerous positive feedback, but ended up feeling nothing special about it. (Well like I said, my tastes are different. People around me also told me that I have very different perspectives on things... Love, for instance. So I usually end up interpreting things in ways others find unusual. That kind of thing also applies when we watch anime, doesn't it? )

Anyway, it's not like I totally dislike To Heart. Not like that. It's just that I'll leave it for the next round of my anime hunt, when I feel like watching school life anime again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Sometimes what most people find excellent is what I find normal. (Refer to my response above.) But since you've put it that way, I guess I would reconsider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da~Mike View Post
It seems we have remotely similar preferences based on your comments on the many suggestions posted here so far.
There's far too many aspects of Japanese Otaku culture that I may never appreciate or understand...
But Japanese culture in general? Intriguing.

But yes, I understand what you mean. All those "catch-phrases" added a certain charm to the characters in Aria but maybe it was the voice acting that was grating...
I really enjoy the Aria manga series though. It's effectively the unadulterated version of Aria that Kozue Amano wanted to portray. The anime production just had to inject certain factors to the anime series that wasn't as pronounced in the manga (but was eventually included in the manga anyway? ). Prime example is the disappearance of grumpy old man, who was replaced by the little girl Ai.

And yes, I don't normally spend large amounts of time to consider what attracts me to something or another, and why I like something or don't (that's what philosophers, psychologists and anthropologists do ).
And unfortunately yes, we don't have the benefit of time but rather we all have a lack of it given the nature of our society.

Lastly, about K-On, a series that drew my attention initially due to the massive hype surrounding it. The fastest way to find out whether you'll like it is to:

1) Check out the manga on One Manga. It'll only take you 10-15 minutes to read through about half the anime's content or more.
http://www.onemanga.com/K-ON/

2) The anime is essentially identical to the manga but with more 'moe moe kyun' (as they described it themselves). If you like that kind of stuff (I'm guessing you might not), or heck, just browse an image board full of Mio pictures. If you like what you see, you'll love K-On.
Lol. I've always found Japan interesting. Talk about masters of creativity, Japan is definitely one of them. Things in Japan never cease to amaze me.
However, Japan is also "dangerous", because Japan is the "Land of Desires" (coined by me). If anime and manga can make us become so obsessive (about anime and manga), imagine what they could do to the Japanese themselves. Even *this* could happen.
When we were small, we heard of fairy tales (and maybe thought they were real). And now we've grown up, anime and manga are our fairy tales (and some of us still wish to live in them).

Oops... I got carried away. ~_~

Voice acting huh... Lol. For me, their voices don't really bother me, unless they're obviously irritating, which I've never encountered. For the most part, I just take in naturally whatever an anime has to offer. That way I can enjoy it more.
I haven't read the manga though. Plan to do it some time later. But yeah, I know the anime doesn't follow the manga 100%.

Lolz! Thinking what I like and what I don't like, why I like something and why I don't like something, is sort of what I like to do. I'm neither a psychologist nor a philosopher, but a little bit of both, or so I seem to be.

I'll check K-On out later. But I can't say I would take it yet. Because when it comes to music, I have some very specific tastes too. But other than that, K-On is worth checking out I think. I shall see. Thanks.

Quote:
If you're an audio nerd like me, you'll like K-On, but be slightly disappointed and wish it focused more on the music and less on the moe. This is how I feel about K-On. I enjoyed it, but I wished there was a stronger focus on the music.

Plus Mio rocking AKG K701s in episode 5 was epic win.
The thing is I'm not an audio nerd. Lol! Though I like to listen to music, I only specifically like certain types, and almost all mainstream music do not appeal to me. Funny huh..? Lol. I'll still consider K-On though.
Old 2009-08-22, 06:53   Link #28
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Unless I'm mistaken, it saddens me that no one mentioned Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou at all.

It was essentially the one that made slice-of-life a major part of my watching career, so much so I had to dig out the ones before it that I missed.
Old 2009-08-22, 07:08   Link #29
X10A_Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, it saddens me that no one mentioned Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou at all.
Quote:
Can someone recommend something similar to ARIA? As similar as possible? (Except YKK.)
The YKK anime is just OVAs and they're not the strongest I've seen. It did tell me enough that the manga would probably suit me very much though!

Although already mentioned (and queued), I really doubt anything could get closer to the "Aria vibes" than Sketchbook, being made by the same team and studio.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Old 2009-08-22, 08:08   Link #30
TCman

How about Bottle Fairy?
Old 2009-08-22, 11:17   Link #31
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

It was essentially the one that made slice-of-life a major part of my watching career, so much so I had to dig out the ones before it that I missed.
Just as X10A_Freedom quoted, "Except YKK" was the first thing I stated in my first post. So yeah, I guess that's why nobody mentioned it. But still, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Although already mentioned (and queued), I really doubt anything could get closer to the "Aria vibes" than Sketchbook, being made by the same team and studio.
You mean Sketchbook full color'S? I'm glad I already have it. Haven't watched it yet though. (But the cats in ARIA don't talk. Sketchbook's do. To my annoyance.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
How about Bottle Fairy?
Thanks but Bottle Fairy has already been kept in my HD for several years already. It's a good show to get us to know a bit about Japanese culture though. A lighthearted series.
Closed Thread