AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-13, 22:28   Link #221
Kouji
StrykerX

If you don't like the views by other posters. You don't need to look at this topic.
Old 2004-07-13, 23:22   Link #222
Jn183

I read somewhere(not legal to mention on suki) that Toei asked Funi to return the master of OP few days after 4kids annouce the licensing. So, there might not be OP uncut DVD. Correct my info if I'm wrong since I read this from a guy that do business with Funi. Dude, could be lying to his customers(doubted)

Last edited by Jn183; 2004-07-14 at 10:02.
Old 2004-07-22, 20:35   Link #223
Bremm
Namu-Hamu Melon

Send a message via AIM to Bremm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji
About OP. Did anyone noticed that the narrator sounds a lot like Yami Yugi's VA?
It IS Yami Yugi's VA.

Well, I was of course devistated to hear that One Piece was licensed, and a bit further let down that 4KidsEntertainment had gotten the license. My first thought was that '4kids? I didn't know that One Piece was a kid's show'. Everybody here seems to keep saying that One Piece is made for kids in Japan, it IS a kids show, blah blah blah. Well in my opinion, that's BS. That has no revelancy here in the US at all. I mean, I've seen kids cartoons in America, and I don't think One Piece fits the bill. At all. Even in the least bit. You've got blood, you've got violence, you've got death, you've got rotten language. We've got pathological liars, thieves, a pirate hunter that's killed more men that we could guess, a chain smoker, not to mention Arlong, who's like the Hitler of One Piece. 'Kill all humans! Mermen are superior beings!'. Smoker is puffin' away of two huge cigars. I mean, come on, someone has their arm bitten off in the first episode! You've got bloody bloody fights, ramant sensless violence (on the part of the badguys). I'm sorry, but One Piece wasn't something I'd look at and go 'You know, this would be great to show to my kids'.

But I guess that isn't really the issue here. People seem to be mainly upset over the butchering of the anime by 4Kids that is practically guarenteed. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I keep getting fansubs and they release uncut DVDs, I'll be satisfied.

And now I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with One Piece. Morbid curiosity, you understand.
Old 2004-07-23, 03:57   Link #224
Sasu11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
I'm a cool girl actually. And nowhere in my post did I say One Piece is bad. One Piece is an animated series aimed at children. That doesn't make it a bad series. I read the One Piece manga and love it, but I'm not going to deny that the anime is a mainstream kiddie show. Its a GOOD mainstream, kiddie show, but some fans are trying to pretend that its not or they equate mainstream and childish with "bad".

Why deny One Piece's true nature? Naruto is also a mainstream kiddie show, but I love that too.
Sorry but you're wrong. Naruto and One Piece are aimed at teenagers and young adults, not children. They are both aired in prime time slots on Japanese TV. Im not saying kids dont watch them too, but their viewing audience goes way beyond kids.

I think what's really sad is that in the west 'cartoons' are only seen as kids shows. Perhaps part of the blame can attributed to the western licensees who cut and edit the shows to make them 'suitable for kids' and then play them in kids viewing slots. Then again maybe more young western adults need to look past their cultural conditioning and give animated television and movies a go. I think a great example of this the animated movie 'Spirited Away' which is the highest grossing movie in Japan ever, yet (as far a I am aware) was a big flop in the west. In this case the the western version of the movie was completely authentic to the orginal and not marketed at kids.
Old 2004-07-23, 09:18   Link #225
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremm
It IS Yami Yugi's VA.

Well, I was of course devistated to hear that One Piece was licensed, and a bit further let down that 4KidsEntertainment had gotten the license. My first thought was that '4kids? I didn't know that One Piece was a kid's show'. Everybody here seems to keep saying that One Piece is made for kids in Japan, it IS a kids show, blah blah blah. Well in my opinion, that's BS. That has no revelancy here in the US at all. I mean, I've seen kids cartoons in America, and I don't think One Piece fits the bill. At all. Even in the least bit. You've got blood, you've got violence, you've got death, you've got rotten language. We've got pathological liars, thieves, a pirate hunter that's killed more men that we could guess, a chain smoker, not to mention Arlong, who's like the Hitler of One Piece. 'Kill all humans! Mermen are superior beings!'. Smoker is puffin' away of two huge cigars. I mean, come on, someone has their arm bitten off in the first episode! You've got bloody bloody fights, ramant sensless violence (on the part of the badguys). I'm sorry, but One Piece wasn't something I'd look at and go 'You know, this would be great to show to my kids'.

But I guess that isn't really the issue here. People seem to be mainly upset over the butchering of the anime by 4Kids that is practically guarenteed. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I keep getting fansubs and they release uncut DVDs, I'll be satisfied.

And now I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with One Piece. Morbid curiosity, you understand.
Well, I've gotten over it. Because when it comes down to it. I believe that they can also do a really good job, outside of their "edits". Because I've heard some pretty good VAs with 4Kids. Like in MM NT Warrior, the new season. Brad Swaile (which's my favorite VA), does Lan Hikari as oppose to Alex Doduk of first season etc...
Old 2004-07-27, 18:28   Link #226
Antonik

Whatever they do, ill won't watch their crappy dubs. I just couldn't take it
Old 2004-07-27, 20:21   Link #227
Kouji
StrykerX

It's weird, because I kinda have mixed feelings about 4Kids. And most of them dont seem to turn out really good.

And several of it has to do with their acting quality, it's like they never seem to spark my interest as Bandai or VIZ does. Because with Bandai or VIZ, they seem to do their animes 100%.
Old 2004-07-29, 00:33   Link #228
spaz05

Send a message via AIM to spaz05
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
Well, its likely that an uncut release will come out on DVD because Funimation recently pretty much forced 4Kids to let them release uncut DVD's of Yugioh, so there is still some hope.
Hrmm...Yu-gi-oh eh? Hehehe...when did this happen? I've been outta the loop for awhile. -_-'''

And from what I gather Shaman King will get the same treatment...?

Well, if Yu-gi-oh can get an uncut release, then I'm pretty sure One Piece can. ^^

Shame though, 4kids getting it. I heard the fight over One Piece got pretty big....oh well. It happens. Just gotta wait patiently for the FUNi releases now.

I like FUNimation. 100 times better than 4kids any day.
Old 2004-07-29, 01:54   Link #229
Kouji
StrykerX

As pointed out before. Here's how it stands

4Kids
F
(percentage wise > -5%)

Bandai, FUNi & VIZ
A+
(percentage wise > 100%)
Old 2004-08-02, 10:37   Link #230
Namisan
The Violet Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xikius
It does nothing to complain on an anime forum about an anime being licensed. E-mail 4kids and address your concerns to them in a serious and rational manner (no yelling/swearing). If enough people do this, they will realize that there is already a fanbase in America. They do not want to turn off this fanbase since it = money.

Their solution will most likely be uncut DVD's by funimation. If that's the case, then, oh well... it's time for you to start supporting the creators of the anime by buying it, instead of viewing for free.
I soo freakin' agree we all should email 4kids!!! I'm in tottal morning.....I became a big fan of One Piece before I even read the manga or watched the anime!! Now thats a good show!!!!
Old 2004-08-02, 12:25   Link #231
Kouji
StrykerX

lol think you got the morning's mixed up. Your kind of "morning" would be mourning. But yeah, I agree as well. At least we still got the original version on the VIZ manga. Which's good.