AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-27, 08:58   Link #1
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Talking BitTorrent, your router, slow downloads, and you

Perhaps Flash_Squirrel can add the following information to his BitTorrent F.A.Q.? It seems like the same type of question keeps on getting asked over and over again, although different people's computer network setup varies widely. I think this is why the average computer user can't make the connection between his/her *unique* problem and someone else's that has already been previously solved in the this forum section.

Your download speed typically depends on how many other BitTorrent peers you can connect to (who are also downloading the same file). If you're using a firewall or router, unless you open / set up forwarding on ports 6881 to 6889, you will only be able to reach other "local" users who are connected directly to the internet via a public IP address. Now if there are a sufficient number of "local" peers with large upload capability, then you will still get a decent download speed. However, this is not usually the case.

In order to connect with the maximum number of peers and get the highest possible download speed, you need to be able to reach the many "remote" users whose PCs are behind routers and have a private netmasked IP address. Explaining this and NAT (network address translation) is really beyond the scope of an anime forum. But I will say this much: If incoming network packets on ports 6881 to 6889 are being prevented from reaching your PC, BitTorrent will not be able to "see" the "remote" peers out there. And you can't download from someone else's PC that you can't see.

Therefore, the solution to most people's slow downloads involves identifying what is blocking ports 6881 to 6889. If your software firewall (e.g., ZoneAlarm, Panda, WinXP's firewall, etc.) is the culprit, either disable it while using BitTorrent or figure out how to open the required ports. If your PC is part of a home network behind a "residential gateway" (router), then figure out how to configure the router to forward TCP packets on the aforementioned ports from the router's public IP address to the correct PC's private IP address. If you're part of a university dorm private network, most likely you're screwed, unless you know the network admin.... If your ISP (internet service provider) intentionally blocks those ports that BitTorrent uses in order to reduce filesharing traffic, then switch to a different ISP.

There are too many different possible scenarios to provide detailed solutions for each one. But if you'll make the effort to identify what may be blocking the ports that BitTorrent requires, you can probably solve the problem by yourself. You can always go to your firewall/router developer's/manufacturer's website for specific details on how to configure them.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!

EDIT 2003-11-30:
I really recommend Shadow's unofficial client because it is up-to-date, shows how many peers you're connected to, and has an Advanced window that identifies whether a peer is "local" or "remote". We can easily determine whether you have a port blocked issue by examining this Advanced window: If you don't see any "remote" peers after a few minutes, then you definitely have some type of port issue (blocked or misconfigured).

Last edited by Sour-Do; 2003-12-01 at 02:50.
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 10:28   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour-Do
Perhaps Flash_Squirrel can add the following information to his BitTorrent F.A.Q.? It seems like the same type of question keeps on getting asked over and over again, although different people's computer network setup varies widely.
But the problem is the same, "I download slowly because my ports are closed." There is a search option, I guess you could use that if you have a problem related to ports opening (and Im pretty sure someone said how to open up ports already).

Quote:
[long post removed]
I understand that this is the problem, but the guide wasnt born to be a bibble about all the problems and errors of bit torrent, its a step by step for newbies, its point is the ability to explain complicated things, like the functions of bittorrent, while remaning an easy and immediate guide for everyone.

You talk about NATs, "residential gateway" "TCP packets" and suchs, but dont you think that this will be a little TOO hard for someone who just bought a PC a few months ago? Or maybe is just looking for a way to remove an annoying "there is no such file or directory" error?

I didnt want to add the explaination of the word "asymmetrical connection" because I though it was too much, and you come up with that?
Thanks for the effort, but this is too much, I will analyze the problem and write something a lot easier about that, seeing that a lot of people are having the same problem about slow speeds.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 10:36   Link #3
Galaxy

Sour-Do: Could you of just wrote: if you cant connect to people and they cant connect to you, thus getting a slow BT speed, forward ports 6881 to 6889?
Also, you could of said this in PM
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 14:16   Link #4
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
But the problem is the same, "I download slowly because my ports are closed."
True, but I don't think those who have this problem realize that it is the same problem as others', since their setup may be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
I understand that this is the problem, but the guide wasnt born to be a bibble about all the problems and errors of bit torrent, its a step by step for newbies, its point is the ability to explain complicated things, like the functions of bittorrent, while remaning an easy and immediate guide for everyone.

[snip]

Thanks for the effort, but this is too much, I will analyze the problem and write something a lot easier about that, seeing that a lot of people are having the same problem about slow speeds.
Ok, I guess you're right. I just thought that if people had a little bit of background on how BitTorrent worked, it would help them to identify and solve their own problem of slow downloads.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Old 2003-11-27, 14:31   Link #5
Sour-Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Sour-Do: Could you of just wrote: if you cant connect to people and they cant connect to you, thus getting a slow BT speed, forward ports 6881 to 6889?
Also, you could of said this in PM
Well, I decided to post the information instead of using PM because I was hoping that it would be helpful to someone out there...

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Old 2003-11-28, 01:11   Link #6
Digital-Kitty
Evil Supreme Kitty

Quote:
Well, I decided to post the information instead of using PM because I was hoping that it would be helpful to someone out there...

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
And Im glad you did.

Thanks
Digital-Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote