AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-30, 02:57   Link #1
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Altruism

Yeah, I know I'm abusing this suggestions forum too much.

So I'm looking for any anime (or even a film or something) which has any significant acts of altruism, selflessness, kindness, etc. Particularly in dangerous or violent settings such as war.

I don't know if I can think of any anime examples, but the movie The Pianist is a good example, with the German soldier helping the Jewish main character.

http://theowne.myanimelist.net for my list...

Edit: Actually I can think of an anime example. Planetes, and the main character's overtly altruistic nature, even when it almost results in her own death. (Edit no.2: I think mit7059 can read my mind)

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-08-30 at 03:32.
Old 2009-08-30, 03:31   Link #2
mit7059

It's been a while since I've watched it but Futakoi Alternative had a situation where one sister sacrificed herself to save the other.

Since you've already seen it this won't be much help but I'm thinking you're looking for something like when
Spoiler for Planetes:

Thats probably the best anime example I can think of.

Although not exactly altruism you might want to check out Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings
It's about a young rescue helicopter pilot who wanted to be a fighter jet pilot. He definatly learns the importance of his job. It's a really underrated and underwatched show, probably the most underrated slice of life. I think it will be up your alley due to the realism.

I also notice that Last Exile is missing off your list, I would say that Claus and Lavie act pretty selflessly in some very dangerous situations. It's a great show, one of my favorites. It's also one of the few dubs I'll actually watch! So if you're trying to get a friend into anime it's a good place to start.

You could probably also make the argument for Rurouni Kenshin but I don't really think that's what you're looking for.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-08-30, 03:36   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Trigun - a fairly obvious suggestion, but I don't see it on your list. Vash won't kill anyone even though it makes the situations he faces a hundred times more difficult... he lets himself be the bad guy...
Old 2009-08-30, 03:51   Link #4
Cipher

I "second" (kinda)Rurouni Kenshin - Its an obvious suggestion. It's not on your list too.
Old 2009-08-30, 03:53   Link #5
james0246

Princess Tutu springs to mind. While Duck (Ahiru) is not fully altruistic (she does have a goal in mind, after all), her tragic story (or maybe she is trying to avert a tragic story?) heavily relies on her desire to indiscriminately help others as well as accept her eventual fate.
Old 2009-08-30, 04:04   Link #6
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'll second Princess Tutu.

Alltruism is a difficult thing, because for it to have meaing, there has to be a sacrifice... if there's nothing being given up, then its not as much of a big deal for an act of kindness.

That being said, I'd suggest the 30 minute ova by Makoto Shinkai, Voices of a Distant Star.
Spoiler for Major Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-30, 04:28   Link #7
qwertyuiopz

tokyo majin...action/bloody
xam'd...sad/pitiful
wagaya no oiniri sama...on a happy side

they all have characters that feel obliged to help others in 3 different sets of mood
dont really have to say who since it gets really obvious in the series
Old 2009-08-30, 11:19   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Moribito is another example, but I know you've seen that. Sword of the Stranger (if you haven't taken that rec yet!) is another one.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:48   Link #9
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

If you haven't already watched it, I'd recommend Zhang Yimou's Hero, for an unabashedly Chinese take on the nature of heroism (ie, what does it really mean to sacrifice everything for the greater good?). Be warned, though. Some have heavily criticised Zhang for uncharacteristically supporting communist propaganda with this film, so if you find such politics unpalatable, then maybe you won't find this movie enjoyable.

As for anime, I strongly third the suggestion of Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, aka Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2009-08-30 at 23:07. Reason: Funny how the omission of a single conjugation changes everything. "Abashedly" edited to "unabashedly".
Old 2009-08-30, 11:56   Link #10
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
So I'm looking for any anime (or even a film or something) which has any significant acts of altruism, selflessness, kindness, etc. Particularly in dangerous or violent settings such as war.

I don't know if I can think of any anime examples, but the movie The Pianist is a good example, with the German soldier helping the Jewish main character.
I know what you mean about it being difficult to think of anime examples of this. Meaningful self-sacrifice (of the non-"jump in front of a bullet" and non-"I'll sacrifice my life in the climax" varieties ) is very rare in anime in general. It's probably going to be most common in anime that are based off novels though:

I've touted Twelve Kingdoms before, but it's really quite fitting here. The show features one of the most famous acts of kindness in anime, and just about anyone who has watched it should know what I'm talking about without elaborating on it. It also serves as a very (very, very) important character development turning point.

Another good example, albeit similar, is Kemono no Souja Erin. This is an ongoing anime based on a book written by the same author as Seirei no Moribito. It's a children's anime, but it has a lot of depth nonetheless, and it strikes a lot of the same notes as both Seirei no Moribito and Natsume Yuujinchou, so you're all but certain to like it.

You might want to hold off on Samurai X and Sword of the Stranger though, as they are very violent shows.
Old 2009-08-30, 13:07   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm... a warlike setting, with acts of selflessness.

I'd suggest Fullmetal Alchemist (the first anime adaption) I can think of several specific actions of alturism in there (in contrast to several other very selfish actions). The actions of the Rockbell's comes immediately to mind.
Spoiler for Rockbells:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure Starblazers had several instances of selflessness, and it has a warlike atmosphere.

Read Or Die has an interesting case of an act of kindness towards the defeated villain by the person he betrayed... more spy James Bond style than war though.

It's not really on topic with your question, but have you ever seen Shadowland? A film about CS Lewis and his wife?
Old 2009-08-30, 20:21   Link #12
Slice of Life
eyewitness

The Crest/Banner of the Stars series has some selfishness in a war setting. But it's more the "dying in the line of duty" kind and that might be exactly the opposite of what you're looking for. I suggest it anyway for the love story.
Old 2009-08-30, 23:03   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd nominate Toshokan Sensou as a possible example of altruism. All the Library Corps are dedicated to protecting the right to read, and I recall there's even a scene where someone takes a bullet to protect another.

Teresa's "adoption" of Clare in Claymore might be another example, as might Mari's shepherding of the children in Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-09-02 at 00:23. Reason: added TM8
Old 2009-09-02, 00:21   Link #14
npcomplete

Binbou Shimai Monogatari is a very sweet show with lots small scale examples of kindness and what I still consider altruism; small but very meaningful sacrifices
Old 2009-09-02, 02:12   Link #15
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
magical girl lyrical nanoha

you don't die, you get befriended.