AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 1 2.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 21.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 26.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 11.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.38%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 4.76%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-02, 22:51   Link #121
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
Spoiler for still disagree with more game spoilers:
Why did Damon not recruit her? Simply put, he didn't know. He never did, even until his fall from grace he never knew what the hell was that thing which not only saved Gallian forces but thrashed an Imperial stronghold in the process. Nobody from the regular army recognized Alicia, why should they? After all, she was orphaned at a young age and from the countryside. Moreover, Eleanor kept the incident in a low profile and probably did not make a full report. Moreover, the platoon commanders had no authority to speak to the general directly unless summoned upon, thus severing any possibility for the truth behind this case to be known by Damon.

Moreover, why should being frightened be their only response to Alicia's transformation? You are really not convincing me.

Because she changed? That it? I mean, thats your best argument? That we should be frightened because a dear person we know changed? Hell, I felt more pity than fright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
I am amazed at how the people that have played the game are still surprised about how this anime really screwed the game characters. I guess it should have been obvious a long time ago that you shouldn't make comparisons between the two anymore.
Sometimes, its not about comparison really. At this point, its more about the idiocy and the utter unrealism of the anime itself.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2009-09-02, 22:53   Link #122
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Reading historical accounts of WWII would be enough to steel your stomach. Goes back to the first rule of war: to fight, you must disregard the humanity of your opponent, for if you hesitate to shoot, you may not have the luck of the other guy hesitating.

Like I said above, there can (and should) be whispers. But ultimately, the soldiers want to go home in one piece ASAP.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-09-02, 22:57   Link #123
Sassarai
Army of One
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
BEST EPISODE OF THE ANIME

I really wonder what people problem with this episode was or is it just cool to join in on the hate train?
It's never cool to join the hate train. Think for yourself!


My problem with this ep is mainly due to squad 7's reaction towards Alicia like many have stated. The episode was extremely predictable and the talk between Welkin and Fabio felt generic. I still think it was a decent episode though!


I mean come on!

Last edited by Sassarai; 2009-09-03 at 00:34.
Sassarai is offline  
Old 2009-09-02, 23:28   Link #124
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
really? she kill hundreds of soldiers in ease. it would not be weird for them to be uncertain that the alicia they know is not the same alicia that she is now. she was unresponsive and was very stoic and went on being very badass full murder mode. Do they know she isn't still in that state a unresponsive killing machine?
They haven't seen her since she went on a rampage. cause as seen in the episode after she faint she is placed in a bed away from the squad.

As you can see next episode they eventually get over their confusion and realize that they were stupid and want her back. It is like Saikano or even in Black lagoon when the kid decided to run away from his maid as she murdered people who were kidnapping him.
welkin stood firm that he wanted her back while alicia. alicia being the one want to separate cause how you like a monster blah blah.

if you think the dramas is too much. fine but it is miles ahead of the game. the game only had a passing comment about worshipping her and that was it. and next chapter she is a wielding a rifle going into battle.

Which do you think is the bigger plot hole nothing about it or some drama about it?
I have given reasoning why i think it is great episode as it was the first time it out did the game. dismissing my arguments out of hand using a smorgasbord of facepalm doesn't help your case and make you seem more immature.
Give me a break. I'll say it again. This is a Squad of soldiers. A squad that is like family. They've fought together. Killed together. Lost loved ones together. Watched their countryside burn to the ground. Watched their homes be destroyed as they fought on. Do you honestly believe, soldiers would shun her after what they saw her do? She made absolutely no threatening actions towards Gallian forces. Unconcious or not, these soldiers are not 12 year old kids. They've already experienced some pretty bad stuff, and would not reject her like that.

This is fake drama. Unrealistic drama. Poorly written, out of place drama. This anime is so pathetic compared to the game, I won't spend one penny for the DVDs'. Why support something had horribly written, directed, and animated as this? Disagree all you want. But go talk to real soldiers before drawing up your conclusions about how realistic Squad 7 acted here.
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-09-02, 23:31   Link #125
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Then again, none had fought alongside a super-soldier before....
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-09-02, 23:37   Link #126
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Then again, none had fought alongside a super-soldier before....
The bonds that soldiers share... Civilians can't expect to understand it.
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-09-02, 23:42   Link #127
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Well, that I can. I was in the Army for 2 years, so I do know a thing or two about military bonding. If soldiers can't bond, operations would be compromised. Wild Blue from the late Stephen Ambrose says it better than I do:

"It was critical for each crew to develop and maintain a close bond....."

"They were on their way to being men at war. They would need to have a closeness unknown to civilians, no matter what the civilians did. Their lives would be at stake. Every one of them had to depend, absolutely, on everyone else doing his job right. They had to not only get along with one another but also to have unquestioning faith in each other... "
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-09-02, 23:51   Link #128
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, that I can. I was in the Army for 2 years, so I do know a thing or two about military bonding. If soldiers can't bond, operations would be compromised. Wild Blue from the late Stephen Ambrose says it better than I do:

"It was critical for each crew to develop and maintain a close bond....."

"They were on their way to being men at war. They would need to have a closeness unknown to civilians, no matter what the civilians did. Their lives would be at stake. Every one of them had to depend, absolutely, on everyone else doing his job right. They had to not only get along with one another but also to have unquestioning faith in each other... "
Then you understand completely what I mean. If Alicia had made ANY kind of threat towards Squad 7, then they might have had a reason to fear her. But she made none. She only attacked the enemy Valkyria. This is Alicia we're talking about here. Second to Isara in being the kindest person in the Squad. After what they've all shared, there's no way they could turn their backs on her just because she's now known as a Valkyria. Their bond, their relationship, is already on another level from just mere classmates, or co-workers.
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2009-09-02, 23:56   Link #129
Illieas
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Why did Damon not recruit her? Simply put, he didn't know. He never did, even until his fall from grace he never knew what the hell was that thing which not only saved Gallian forces but thrashed an Imperial stronghold in the process. Nobody from the regular army recognized Alicia, why should they? After all, she was orphaned at a young age and from the countryside. Moreover, Eleanor kept the incident in a low profile and probably did not make a full report. Moreover, the platoon commanders had no authority to speak to the general directly unless summoned upon, thus severing any possibility for the truth behind this case to be known by Damon.

Moreover, why should being frightened be their only response to Alicia's transformation? You are really not convincing me.

Because she changed? That it? I mean, thats your best argument? That we should be frightened because a dear person we know changed? Hell, I felt more pity than fright.



Sometimes, its not about comparison really. At this point, its more about the idiocy and the utter unrealism of the anime itself.

- Tak
Spoiler for game video and more disagreeing:
Illieas is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 00:47   Link #130
Sassarai
Army of One
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Then again, none had fought alongside a super-soldier before....
I would be so happy if I fought with a super soldier. More chances of winning the war and surviving. It's when the super soldier is on the other side that I'm afraid of! I wouldn't piss them off and get myself killed! What is there for squad 7 to ponder? Getting killed by Alicia? She already saved them once so they owe her their lives anyway.
Sassarai is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 01:12   Link #131
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Then you understand completely what I mean. If Alicia had made ANY kind of threat towards Squad 7, then they might have had a reason to fear her. But she made none. She only attacked the enemy Valkyria. This is Alicia we're talking about here. Second to Isara in being the kindest person in the Squad. After what they've all shared, there's no way they could turn their backs on her just because she's now known as a Valkyria. Their bond, their relationship, is already on another level from just mere classmates, or co-workers.
Uhm, what you say about comraderie is an illusion (I served 4 years in military ending ranked as staff sergeant). The first thing, although a joke, what I heard about "Kameradschaft ist wenn ein Kamerad schafft" which means: A comrade is then a comrade when he works. I don't want to blow any dream bubbles about this. The interactions between comrades is unique and is formed within your time when are serving in the military. But this just works fine until something happes. I think all of you remember Full Metal Jacket. The portrait of comraderie like you are saying ends up when Private Paula Donut made the hole unit suffer. Now this is a point where the comrades punished a comrade. So you see, comrades also go after a comrade if one falls out of the chain.

Now going back from the anime I have to admit that how the squad talks behind Alicia is nothing unusual. That is what you regular do, but it was actually unnecessary. From the game I know that after Alicia has transformed into a Valkyria, Welkin gave the order to avoid her or get too near of her because she was not concious in her Valkyr status and through this friendly fire may be possible.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 01:14   Link #132
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Like I said, at the end of the day, what most soldiers want, more than anything else, is to return home in one piece, and try to forget that they fought in a war. Guess why historians usually have a hard time compiling accounts of ground troops in any war?

Also, avoiding friendly fire is an important skill which should not be underestimated.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 01:34   Link #133
Illieas
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
It's never cool to join the hate train. Think for yourself!


My problem with this ep is mainly due to squad 7's reaction towards Alicia like many have stated. The episode was extremely predictable and the talk between Welkin and Fabio felt generic. I still think it was a decent episode though!
agreed but i like this episode because it address concerns i had with the game. his episode fleshes out an area i thought needed more meat. that is why i think this one best was because the earlier ones had shoddy pacing and game version were better.

I agree aisha's reaction and some them call for her gone was well bluntly melodramatic and unnecessary (just stating concern would have been enough). i think the base idea of the squad airing out concerns was a necessary component. which would have been one welkin rousing speech to get everyone back to their senses. everything in the series could have been better done in many ways. but since the having alicia there to hear it screwed that up we have Operation "sorry we were wrong! come back!" at least i hope that is what happens. less moping more action next episode is also a hope

Last edited by Illieas; 2009-09-03 at 01:38. Reason: redunacy department needed more redundancy
Illieas is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 01:48   Link #134
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
Lulu Max need some wins against squad 7, kinda feel sorry for that guy, he is seriously the coolest dude in the show imo but never get a major victory in the battle field (from what I see in the show).
kk2extreme is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 01:58   Link #135
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Hence, he's like Lulu. Both had balls thrown to them, and they have to hold it like an idiot for the plot to flow.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 03:34   Link #136
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Then you understand completely what I mean. If Alicia had made ANY kind of threat towards Squad 7, then they might have had a reason to fear her. But she made none. She only attacked the enemy Valkyria. This is Alicia we're talking about here. Second to Isara in being the kindest person in the Squad. After what they've all shared, there's no way they could turn their backs on her just because she's now known as a Valkyria. Their bond, their relationship, is already on another level from just mere classmates, or co-workers.
Seriously you don't get the point all along.
Yes, undoubtfully Alicia is one important member of 7th, or like you said a family member of it. She's one of the kindest person in the squad, and some of them are also her long-time friends......But these are basing on the fact (or the knowledge) that she is an ordinary, Voluntary Army soldier------Not the unconscious walking WMD (and she doesn't even know about it, since it's a completely different matter if she knew but not saying it) from a race that exterminated its own race like when she fought Selveria. When she's not conscious, who knew when she will attack her comrades?

You may say it's unappropriate for thsoe long-time comrades to fear a member from a family, but they have the right to fear. History already showed us that unknown to something may lead to fear towards it------from ancient-enough fire to modern Typhoon Sub. Simply said, if you watched Band of Brothers (or read its novel version) then the "legends" of Lt. Speirs had already spread fear among 506th even when almost no one saw his "deeds" in person.
__________________
Obviously ,hope is the first step to the road of disappointment.
But no fear, people can only overcome disappointment when one still has hope in the mind.
So keep on fighting UNTIL THE GOAL IS REACHED!!
HunterSeeker is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 05:05   Link #137
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
You may say it's unappropriate for thsoe long-time comrades to fear a member from a family, but they have the right to fear. History already showed us that unknown to something may lead to fear towards it------from ancient-enough fire to modern Typhoon Sub. Simply said, if you watched Band of Brothers (or read its novel version) then the "legends" of Lt. Speirs had already spread fear among 506th even when almost no one saw his "deeds" in person.
Good point you mention that because there is one point to add about being a "comrade" and having "comrades".

To be a comrade does not limit to the unit or the armed force type. If you are in the army, then you are comraded with all soldiers of your nation or even cross border in allied forces.

At the end comradism only means that you are civilians wearing the same ugly clothes, sharing the same toilet, showers, working for nation and country and share the same housings. In addition you help each other out if your comrades get in trouble against other comrades
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 05:44   Link #138
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The girl's bathroom
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Just watched this episode and I don't know whether to laugh at how corny it all is or cry at how they butchered such a great game...

I'm sick of the stupid anime love cliches and the scene where Welkin questioned Faldio was pathetic. In the game Welkin had some balls on him when he confronted Faldio man to man and had a good idea on what had happened.

In the anime as usual Welkin didn't have a bloody clue and looked about as good as a stunned Mullet when Faldio in all his glory simply rattled off his latest list of achievements where shooting Alicia was just thrown in as after thought.

Shooting Alicia? A kidnapped the Princess! *Achievement Unlocked*

And then the nerve of his parting comment.

The only thing I'll give the anime is the plans of the Army to use Alicia against her will. That was one of the things in the game I thought was odd.

And don't get me started about the whole Alica and Selvaria in the research lab/orphanage together.
__________________

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 05:52   Link #139
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
True, Illeas has a point about Damon. It was odd in the game how he didn't attempt to draft Alicia under his direct subordination. But then again this is General Damon we are speaking about...

The way Alicia's breakdown is portrayed is radically different however. In the game it was more gradual
Spoiler for game spoiler:
. Here in the anime it looks like they went for permanent angst right off the bat.

Last edited by don_Durandal; 2009-09-03 at 07:25. Reason: spoilers
don_Durandal is offline  
Old 2009-09-03, 05:53   Link #140
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Now, linking Selvaria and Alicia together could have been a decent plot point. But, this team had gotten so many other aspects wrong that I won't bet on them making something good out of this particular point.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.