AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-25, 19:47   Link #1
DennoCoil

In your opinion, the must watch fansub and why.

Hello, sorry if I'm not a regular user here, forgive me.

Since I've been out of anime for a few years, I'm wanting to know what you people would say is a good fansub series to watch today.
Old 2009-08-25, 20:29   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would always default to Seirei no Moribito, as I consider it the best anime series ever. It has the best combination of excellent writing, visuals, character development and action of any show IMHO. If I have to pick one, that would be it.
Old 2009-08-25, 22:06   Link #3
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I would always default to Seirei no Moribito, as I consider it the best anime series ever. It has the best combination of excellent writing, visuals, character development and action of any show IMHO. If I have to pick one, that would be it.
It's also licensed, so why should it be watched fansubbed? People should buy the incredible series to show love for solidly developed stories.
Old 2009-08-25, 22:41   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
It's also licensed, so why should it be watched fansubbed? People should buy the incredible series to show love for solidly developed stories.
That's a fair point. It isn't all released, but TBH I didn't factor the fansub part of the request into my answer. Buy the DVDs.

So I guess I would fall back on a couple of more obscure series that aren't licensed. Petopeto-san would be a great pick - extremely smart despite it's moe exterior, with great characters. Can't go wrong with Zettai Shounen - a really unique slice-of-life with strong fantasy elements that would have no market appeal in the US whatsoever. And currently airing, I would go with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.
Old 2009-08-26, 01:33   Link #5
DennoCoil

Downloading torrents as we speak, keep the anime coming. And don't worry if it's licensed or not. Anything recent will do.
Old 2009-08-26, 04:55   Link #6
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And currently airing, I would go with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.
Along with SnM, you sir, have great taste. ^^

As for recent series to recommend, well. It really depends what your tastes are... since you haven't given any criteria at all it's hard to know where to start. Some of my favourites are marginally more obscure than the mainstream fan favourites, so I don't know if I'd want to just go recommending those without knowing your preferences.

So let's go for a mixup from various genres starting with supernatural, mystery and thriller/drama: Jigoku Shoujo (all three series) for some thrillerish/horror. Higurashi (again, all three series) for psychological thriller with buckets of moe and a dash of comedy. Nijuu Mensou no Musume for a drama/mystery set in an alternative past. Probably good if you liked Lupin type stuff. Shigofumi and Shion no Ou would be two other titles to throw in for mystery/drama/supernatural stuff.

Moving in to sci-fi and action types, Macross Frontier and Soukou no Strain would be a place to start. Terra E was also great, though it's a harder sci-fi a lot of people have a hard time getting in to (being based on old works doesn't seem to help either) but it was excellent sci-fi. Kara no Kyoukai is sort of mystery/supernatural but I'll put it here in action instead since it has some of the best fight scenes in history. Sky Girls might be worth throwing in for a moe/ecchi kind of sci-fi, along with Strike Witches (which I guess is more alternative history than SF, but whatever).

Harem, romance and comedy: Hyakko for comedy, Kurenai for romance (of sorts, more dramaish. Brilliant dialogue if you're in to that). Kannagi for a romantic comedy with harem elements. The entire Minami-ke franchise for slice of life comedy, which also happens to have some great dialogue; surprisingly so for what it looks like on the surface. Doujin Work for another comedy, though it certainly has limited appeal, I found it hilarious. True Tears is the only romance I've liked in the past few years, so it's worth checking out if you're in to that. Hidamari Sketch (and its sequel x365) for slice of life girls at school comedy type stuff.

I could go on all night really but I'm already losing my train of thought from glancing over my 8-10 anime and attempting to remember how new it is and slot it in to specific genres. There's a bunch of titles for you to look up, at any rate.
Old 2009-08-26, 04:58   Link #7
npcomplete

Throwing out random recommendations..

Some of the recently licensed shows like Casshern Sins, Higashi no Eden, Sengoku Basara, Spice and Wolf 1. But it will be at least another year from now until they start releasing in the US.

Different genre, but also officially released: Kannagi, Aoi Hana (CR), Kanamemo (CR), Clannad 1, Maria Sama ga Miteru 1,2,3, Aria 1,2

Other shows: Canaan, Bakemonogatari, Higurashi series (S1, S2, Rei, Umineko), Kara no Kyoukai movies (ongoing), Sora no Manimani, Cross Game, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Tokyo Magnitude, Spice and Wolf 2, Clannad 2, Maria Sama ga Miteru 4, Aria 3,4, Hatsukoi Limited, K-On

slightly older but still recent shows: Ghost Hound, KimiKiss Pure Rouge, Ikkitousen 1,2, 3, Hidamari Sketch + x365
Old 2009-08-27, 00:40   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Recent Shows: Cross Game, Fullmetal Alchemist
Old 2009-08-27, 07:40   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

The best shows that haven't been licensed yet. One of the most amazing examples is Turn A Gundam, a Gundam series so strange and different from it's brothers that it never saw US release. Of course, it also happens to be one of the best Gundam series ever.

More recent examples, Kure-nai is the best thing that aired last year, and Birdy the Might Decode seasons one and two are great. For soemthing airing right now, there's Canaan.
Old 2009-08-27, 07:59   Link #10
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you watch mecha, then you should watch Gattai's sub of Shin Mazinger Z.

It is the most epic mecha anime ever and Gattai does full service for the show. They took the time to insert scenes that are not aired but only shown on Bandai's online streaming, allowing us to view the complete show.

Mazinger Z is the very first mecha anime. To celebrate 35 years of mecha, they've made sure that this re-adaptation will retain all the classic elements while making sure it will be more epic than ever.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-09-03, 02:46   Link #11
deranged_02

(currently airing) taishou yakyuu musume
...not your typical baseball game~~
it's being subbed by doremi but....let's just say that it's been a while since i've seen those girls
Closed Thread