AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-04, 18:32   Link #1
onigiri
....always have hope =)..

video lagging?

hi ^^;; i was wondering if soemone can help me with my problem...:

i downloaded [Live-eviL] Phantom the Animation OAV - Ep 01 and the video seems to be lagging...like the audio is quicker than the video.....i use the Media Player Classic 6.4.8.2 to play the file and i have ffdshow....i've tried uninstalling and installing but it doesn't seem to work. this acutally isn't the first time and it seems to happen to some of the files I watch...at times when it doesn't seem to work, i use the DivX....but some files can't even play in DiVX too. this lagging video problem thingy seem to start happening around a month ago i think? and i don't know why...i'm beginning to wonder a few things...am i using the players incorrectly? or is there something wrong with my computer? if there is...what could it be? all i could think of was either I have a virus ..which i hope not...or that i don't have enough memory..? which is odd..becuase i don't have a lot of stuff in my computer...
Old 2004-07-04, 23:09   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I've got a solution that seems a bit odd, but it did work for someone with a similar situation to your own. Go to the start menu and look for ffdshow -> Configuration. On the ffdshow configuration look for output There will be a long line of supported output colorspaces. Uncheck the box next to YV12 and click OK to make the change.

I honestly don't know if this will work for you, but it did work for someone else and it doesn't require you to uninstall or install anything to test it. If it doesn't work just re-check the box and no harm is done.

BTW if this doesn't work, please tell us what version of ffdshow you are using. The version date is listed in the configuration dialogue under "About"

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-07-05, 05:55   Link #3
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by onigiri
hi ^^;; i was wondering if soemone can help me with my problem...:

i downloaded [Live-eviL] Phantom the Animation OAV - Ep 01 and the video seems to be lagging...like the audio is quicker than the video.....i use the Media Player Classic 6.4.8.2 to play the file and i have ffdshow....i've tried uninstalling and installing but it doesn't seem to work. this acutally isn't the first time and it seems to happen to some of the files I watch...at times when it doesn't seem to work, i use the DivX....but some files can't even play in DiVX too. this lagging video problem thingy seem to start happening around a month ago i think? and i don't know why...i'm beginning to wonder a few things...am i using the players incorrectly? or is there something wrong with my computer? if there is...what could it be? all i could think of was either I have a virus ..which i hope not...or that i don't have enough memory..? which is odd..becuase i don't have a lot of stuff in my computer...
In case NSW's suggestions does not help: (copied and pasted from another thread)

Are you sure that you uninstalled each and every codec before installing the newest ffdshow version?

If that does not help, get XviD Koepi's Build here. (DivX is crap, really)

If all fails, use the VideoLAN player. It has built-in codecs and won't use the installed codecs, so even if you have a codec issue it should play the file.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
Old 2004-07-05, 14:30   Link #4
SPINAL-BRAIN
May be a Senior Member

I would go with _Sin_'s third suggestion about the VideoLan 'cause that is what solved my problems. I had the same problem about video being lagging all the time, I tried everything but the VideoLan solved that little bugger...hope it does the same thing for you...
Old 2004-07-10, 16:10   Link #5
onigiri
....always have hope =)..

uwaaa~ so many suggestions i'm very grateful ^__^ thank you thank you..haha..however....most of them didn't really work ...but it still helped on making the video..err...less...laggy? haha...i really am beginning to think it's my computer because i tried playing it on my dad's comptuer..and it didn't lag at all~! hahaha....but i just want to say thank you again =)~
Old 2004-07-13, 01:27   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I use ReClock. The sole purpose of ReClock is to get the audio and video to synch up - it takes over for the audio renderer when you run a multimedia file. It doesn't run with VideoLAN but it works with Core Media Player, which is free and nice. Go to this site if you are interested.
Old 2004-07-14, 21:35   Link #7
Teacup
Shibuya's Top GAL!

Send a message via AIM to Teacup
I have a similar problem. I downloaded Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne ep.17 and it plays fine with no lagging. But another file I got (Super GALS!) will seriously lag. Is it a problem with the file since one plays fine?
Old 2004-07-14, 22:21   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Have you already tried all the solutions suggested in this thread? Please tell us once you've tried all suggestions, otherwise we were just wasting our time.

It isn't necessarily a problem with the file, since you might be able to play some codecs file and not play others as well.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-07-15, 14:57   Link #9
Teacup
Shibuya's Top GAL!

Yes, I tried the other suggestions. Or I wouldn't have posted. And with Reclock, this may sound kinda weird but it actually made it lag even more. So I'm not really sure what to do.
Old 2004-07-15, 15:42   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
I'm pretty sure that we are dealing with a codec issue since it only affects one file.
Are you using the latest codecs (ffdshow, XviD?)
Also check the site of the fansubbers or their forums for more information. (I've seen sites that explicitely "warned" from using ffdshow for their encodes - maybe we are facing a similar case?)
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
Old 2004-07-15, 16:25   Link #11
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

She said that she tried the earlier suggestions in this thread. (And I intend to take her at her word since she was so emphatic.) You already gave that codec advice in post #3.

The only advice I can think of, that we didn't give earlier, is to try watching it with Media Player Classic. That will often clear up such problems...

Old 2004-07-15, 16:44   Link #12
Teacup
Shibuya's Top GAL!

Wow, that helped a lot. Now the video doesn't lag anymore. Thanks very much. I would've never thought to use Media Player Classic. Thanks very much!
Old 2004-07-15, 16:48   Link #13
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
I too think it's a codec problem. I suggest first off getting Media Player Classic like NoSanninWa suggested. If that still doesnt work, I think this is probably a case of decoding the file with the wrong codec. Often, this can happen even though you have the correct codec installed.

Grab a copy of the GSpot Codec Information Appliance.

In the following picture, Ill show you what I mean (the filename has been removed to protect the innocent):
Spoiler:

As you can see, even though the file is encoded in DviX, it is being decoded by Xvid. With the newer, more compatable codecs, this isn't a problem. However, with older codecs, it's important to have the correct codec to decode the file.

Open up the file with GSpot to see which codec was used to encode the file.
Insure that the correct codec is installed.
If it is installed, uninstall other MPEG-4 codecs until you are done watching the file. (There may be a way to pick which codec is used in Media Player Classic, but I am unaware how to do this.)

Edit: Although this wasn't needed, I'll leave it here in case it will help someone else.
Closed Thread