AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-02, 09:16   Link #101
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reekon View Post
I have a question:

* Is there any arc at all where Koyomi helps a male person?

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking it that all the "victims" he's helping are girls. But isn't there an imbalance of some sort here?

It's like aside from Araragi, all oddity victims are always girls.

It's like what Oshino often says, "My my Araragi-kun, you brought a different girl again today?" ;-)
There only other men that show up are Hitagi's dad and Kaiki.
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 09:19   Link #102
Dark Mage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
@Lummie, Thanks
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 09:22   Link #103
Reekon
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
There only other men that show up are Hitagi's dad and Kaiki.
Ah ok. Thanks!

Btw, was there any reason/explanation why that's the case? .. why most of the victims are girls?

Oh, and lastly, are the novels already finished? Or is it still on-going, if so, what's the current arc?
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 11:22   Link #104
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reekon View Post
Ah ok. Thanks!

Btw, was there any reason/explanation why that's the case? .. why most of the victims are girls?

Oh, and lastly, are the novels already finished? Or is it still on-going, if so, what's the current arc?
A reason wasn't really given, but the Araragi Harem wouldn't really be a harem if there were guys in it, now would it?

The main story ended with Nisemonogatari 2, but there will be 2 side stories coming out sometime next year.
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 12:49   Link #105
Spekio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Hopefully this is the right place to ask. I've looking to buy some of the novels, but I've only found them on JP Amazon so far with a whopping $30 shipping charge plus an additional 6 per book after that. I would really like to get the books but I'm worried about about my ability to comprehend an entire Japanese novel even though I've played plenty of story heavy Japanese RPGs. Is there any way someone could post a page from the book so that I could get an idea whether I understand it enough to shell out so much money? Also if anyone knows a better place to get it from I'd greatly appreciate the info.

Also looking on Amazon I see 化物語(上) (講談社BOX) and 化物語(下) (講談社BOX). Is that all of Bakemonogatari? If I do order I want to get all of it in one go.
Spekio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 13:28   Link #106
Da~Mike
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
Ghostory > Monstory
The former is clever, the latter is meh.
I would agree based on the fact that Ghostory is an effective portmanteau word compared with Monstory. Yet, although 'bakemono' can be translated as ghost or apparitation, the word generally is more commonly associated with monstrosities.
Moreover, if we use the title of Ghostory as a substitue title for the Bakamonogatari novels, then consider that the story generally progresses around all manners of supernatural abnormalities not limited to ghosts, it would seem that Ghostory isn't a particularly good choice.
In fact, one could simply think of other definitions for 'monsters' and the like, and also other synonyms for 'story', and one could come up with two examples below:

Beastory
or
Beastale / Beastales

While they both could be easily pronounced as "bee-story", "bee-stale/s", or "bees-tale/s", making it sound something along the lines of a Pixar cartoon book, this portmanteau word is perhaps a more accurate translation of the title 'Bakemonogatari' with regards to its contents.

It always is difficult to translate Japanese words/phrases like this, or anything that has no direct translation in English. The easiest example would be the Japanese honorific system that Del-Rey made note of in all their manga. While it's easy enough to translate the more common honorifics like san -> Mr/Ms/Mrs, the thing that is utterly lost in translation is the lack of honorific. Addressing people by their first or last name in English without any honorific is no where near as significant as it is in Japanese culture.

In essence, it boils down to how liberal the translators and editors choose to be when translating or adapting media from one language to another. A good example would be the Gyakuten Saiban games becoming Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney an so on. While some aspects just couldn't cross the language barrier and simply seemed odd in the Ace Attorney games, they were adapted very well.
Much better than the appalling Zero Wing translations that I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spekio View Post
Hopefully this is the right place to ask. I've looking to buy some of the novels, but I've only found them on JP Amazon so far with a whopping $30 shipping charge plus an additional 6 per book after that. I would really like to get the books but I'm worried about about my ability to comprehend an entire Japanese novel even though I've played plenty of story heavy Japanese RPGs. Is there any way someone could post a page from the book so that I could get an idea whether I understand it enough to shell out so much money? Also if anyone knows a better place to get it from I'd greatly appreciate the info.
Also looking on Amazon I see 化物語(上) (講談社BOX) and 化物語(下) (講談社BOX). Is that all of Bakemonogatari? If I do order I want to get all of it in one go.
Kinokuniya USA delivers to American addresses. I've attached the relevant links for you:
http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/ohb/...es/riyou_2.htm
http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/gues...AREA=02&LANG=J
http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/gues...AREA=02&LANG=J

I've never ordered from the American website before but it seems that their books are cheaper (+delivery cost) than if you were to import it via Amazon.co.jp.

And yes, the two books you listed down are the two Bakemonogatari books available at the moment it seems. I don't know why he decided to label them as up and down instead of one and two. I'd expect left and right for the next ones, or east and west if that's his way of ordering things.
[edit:- it seems Bakemonogatari isn't the only title used for the series of related Nisio-Isin novels. And how do we translate Nisemonogatari?? Bogustory? Counterfeitale/s?]

I'm afraid I don't have any raws of the book but I suppose ickem may be able to help you there. But based on what I've seen, if you can handle JRPGs and have read other light novels, the only thing that might throw you off are the meta words and humour.

Anyway, I should order my own copies of Bakemonogatari at some point, since I'd be interested to see how people attempt to translate/adapt it, and to try and read the books myself...

Last edited by Da~Mike; 2009-09-02 at 17:21. Reason: Ack! My grammar!..
Da~Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 14:50   Link #107
Spekio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanks. It looks like while all the books combined cost about the same amount at kinokuniya and amazon JP (amazon USA doesn't carry them), there's a much smaller penalty for buying a single book.

Are the books written in the same style as those text flashes in the anime, with katakana in place of where hiragana should be? Personally, that throws me off quite a bit and I'd be much more open to trying one of those novels if I knew they were written normally. That's one of the reasons I had wanted to see a page.
Spekio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 15:14   Link #108
hei
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spekio View Post
Also looking on Amazon I see 化物語(上) (講談社BOX) and 化物語(下) (講談社BOX). Is that all of Bakemonogatari? If I do order I want to get all of it in one go.
The anime is based entirely on those two books, but there are other books in the same series which are not covered by the current anime. Kizumonogatari - 傷物語 (講談社BOX) - is a prequel of Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari - 偽物語(上) (講談社BOX) & 偽物語(下) (講談社BOX) - is a sequel.

But before you decide whether you buy them or not, please mind that there is no Senjogahara featuring in Kizumonogatari.
hei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 15:32   Link #109
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hei View Post
The anime is based entirely on those two books, but there are other books in the same series which are not covered by the current anime. Kizumonogatari - 傷物語 (講談社BOX) - is a prequel of Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari - 偽物語(上) (講談社BOX) & 偽物語(下) (講談社BOX) - is a sequel.

But before you decide whether you buy them or not, please mind that there is no Senjogahara featuring in Kizumonogatari.
She doesn't appear in Nise 2 either, although she is mentioned.
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 15:58   Link #110
hei
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
She doesn't appear in Nise 2 either, although she is mentioned.
Right, it looks like there is no Senjogahara scene in Nise 2, either. Though, Kanbaru appears! (I did not read Nisemonogatari but its summary)
Spoiler:
hei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 08:43   Link #111
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
A reason wasn't really given, but the Araragi Harem wouldn't really be a harem if there were guys in it, now would it?

The main story ended with Nisemonogatari 2, but there will be 2 side stories coming out sometime next year.
Are you sure that it's only a side story and not a continuation?

BTW I have another question. In Kizu I understand that Araragi needed to get Heart's missing limbs back from the hunters and that's why he fought them, but why did he fight Heart at the end?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 09:35   Link #112
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Well the Tsubasa one is the golden week prequel that takes place inbetween Kizu and Bake, as for Mayois.. who knows.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 10:39   Link #113
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Are you sure that it's only a side story and not a continuation?

BTW I have another question. In Kizu I understand that Araragi needed to get Heart's missing limbs back from the hunters and that's why he fought them, but why did he fight Heart at the end?
Well, Nise's title is "The final story, Tsukihi Phoenix" so Koyomi's story is done. Prequels are always a possibility, but we most likely won't get a true continuation.

Spoiler for spoilers for Kizumonogatari:
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 10:50   Link #114
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I'm wondering... do we ever find out what exactly Oshino is, or at least how he has all the knowledge of the supernatural that he does, or is it just a case of "He is Knowledgable, Do Not Question."?
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 11:05   Link #115
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I'm wondering... do we ever find out what exactly Oshino is, or at least how he has all the knowledge of the supernatural that he does, or is it just a case of "He is Knowledgable, Do Not Question."?
We are told some of his background in Nise 2.

Spoiler for Nise 1 and 2:
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:59   Link #116
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spekio View Post
Thanks. It looks like while all the books combined cost about the same amount at kinokuniya and amazon JP (amazon USA doesn't carry them), there's a much smaller penalty for buying a single book.

Are the books written in the same style as those text flashes in the anime, with katakana in place of where hiragana should be? Personally, that throws me off quite a bit and I'd be much more open to trying one of those novels if I knew they were written normally. That's one of the reasons I had wanted to see a page.
Given amazon.co.jp's shipping policies, they're worst and last resort to get books from.

Kinokuniya is an excellent source (especially if you have one in your city). Also, nippon-export.com has been good to me. If they don't have it in stock, ask for it (especially with a link to Amazon) and they'll get it for you. They love undercutting Amazon on shipping
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 17:44   Link #117
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Well, Nise's title is "The final story, Tsukihi Phoenix" so Koyomi's story is done. Prequels are always a possibility, but we most likely won't get a true continuation.

Spoiler for spoilers for Kizumonogatari:
I see, so anyways I guess what I want to ask then is what happens at the end.
I mean I have no idea what happens in Tsukihi Phoenix but I was wondering what happens to Araragi at the end of the series.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 22:51   Link #118
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I see, so anyways I guess what I want to ask then is what happens at the end.
I mean I have no idea what happens in Tsukihi Phoenix but I was wondering what happens to Araragi at the end of the series.
Spoiler for nise 2:
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 03:37   Link #119
S3vEn
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Spoiler:
S3vEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 10:14   Link #120
Lummie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Spoiler for nise 2:
In the anime it's like his sisters are trying to get closer to him by waking him up in his room and trying to convince him to stay home on mother's day. Why does he want to live apart from his family despite everything his sisters try?
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, nishio, romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.