AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-14, 15:24   Link #1
bunnykun
What is, what is?

Mau Mau Onomatopoeia?

Hi, not sure if this thread belongs here, sorry if it isnt.

Okay, i was watching Battle Programmer Shirase and i noticed that the fansub group was unable to translate the term "Mau Mau", i googled the word and several hits came up, but just to be sure is there any native japanese speakers can confirm whether this is a japanese onomatopoeia?

It seems taht this term has a historial african history and it also means Media Access Unit or Multiaccess Station, but those are pretty technical computer related.

Thx. Ja.
bunnykun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 15:29   Link #2
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykun
Hi, not sure if this thread belongs here, sorry if it isnt.

Okay, i was watching Battle Programmer Shirase and i noticed that the fansub group was unable to translate the term "Mau Mau", i googled the word and several hits came up, but just to be sure is there any native japanese speakers can confirm whether this is a japanese onomatopoeia?

It seems taht this term has a historial african history and it also means Media Access Unit or Multiaccess Station, but those are pretty technical computer related.

Thx. Ja.
According to one of the opening/clossing summaries it really doesn't mean anything. It's just something silly to say. There may be a translation for the word though.

Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 03:39   Link #3
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

I was told mau means cat in one of the Chinese dialects, but I doubt the mau mau in BPS is supposed to mean anything. Guess it's there to increase Misao's kawaiiness factor. And make you laugh when the announcer does it .
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote