AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-03, 17:43   Link #1
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Character-oriented adventure stories

Summer comes to a close, my anime time sharply dwindles, here's my final request

I'm looking for adventure stories that are very character oriented rather than focusing on plot twists and such.

I recently watched Last Exile and at the beginning I was expecting the show to be about the duo working together in the middle of this dangerous adventure and growing individually and as a partnership. But the series took a different turn, and I guess I'm still kind of hoping that the kind of story I wanted exists in another anime somewhere.

theowne.myanimelist.net for the list.

(In before 4Tran: Yes, I'm watching Twelve Kingdoms)

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-09-04 at 01:29.
Old 2009-09-03, 17:57   Link #2
wkd

I think Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars are what you are looking for if you don't mind sci-fi.
Old 2009-09-03, 19:11   Link #3
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
But the series took a different turn
LOLGONZO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
I think Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars are what you are looking for if you don't mind sci-fi.
I second that.. And it's not because I've decided to simply suggest this in any thread you make.

Spice and Wolf of course. OK, calling the couple "boy" and "girl" is a bit of a stretch.

Allison and Lillia. Stop watching after the first half (the Allison arc).
Old 2009-09-03, 20:34   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I don't see Eureka 7 on your list. Epic adventure? Check. Boy meets girl? Check. Character development? Check. A voyage through the skies? Check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
LOLGONZO.
Sadly. I had high hopes for the show...and it all went to failureland.
Old 2009-09-03, 21:08   Link #5
qwertyuiopz

xam'd...goes hand in hand with eureka 7
Old 2009-09-03, 21:26   Link #6
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Hey, Last Exile was awesome. Still my #1 series. Each to their own. I freaking loved it and always will. Gonzo are pretty lol now, but in 2001-2003 they were good. From about 2004 onwards, they've been mainly lol.

Scrapped Princess was a good rustic adventure series. One of the series that got Studio Bones going this decade.

I'll second Bounen no Xamdou. And maybe Eureka 7. Since both were made by the exact same crew of people. Haven't seen Eureka 7 yet so can't say personally how good it is. But Bounen no Xamdou is great.

Ergo Proxy might fit the bill.

Chrono Crusade might, but if you feel lolGonzo about Last Exile, you will probably feel that more about Chrono Crusade. I still liked it, though.
Old 2009-09-03, 23:17   Link #7
Plasma.

I've seen Eureka 7 and there is a lot of character development. But its not a series which keeps your attention all the way through. i was waiting for something to happen all the way though, and its didn't really happen. There were a few episodes which were done quite well, but overall i thought the series lacked something. But its still worth a watch.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:28   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'll stand by Last Exile, too. I loved it all the way to the conclusion and it's in my all-time top five.

But to the OPs, request... I think Xam'd is a good choice, though it certainly has plenty of plot twists, too. Maybe Good Witch of the West is a nice option, too, as I don't see it mentioned much but it has great character development. Another under-appreciated character-driven show is Wagaya no Oiniri-sama. Very funny and all of the zip comes from the characters, not the plots. Finally, I'd give a shout out to Shounen Onmyouji, which doesn't have too much boy-girl (a little) but is a nice adventure tale with a very good lead and interesting supporting cast.
Old 2009-09-05, 17:55   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I second that.. And it's not because I've decided to simply suggest this in any thread you make.
Good stuff, I've been watching the first half. I'm not exactly a sci-fa fan but a good story is a good story.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-09-05, 22:42   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well... how would you feel about an anime that has both major character development and plot twists- in fact several of the plot twists drive even more character development.

If you're willing to accept that then I would suggest the first anime adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist. Give it 3 or 4 episodes and see if it catches your interest. (I remember it being the 3rd episode that caught me).

Chrono Crusade is possible if you're willing to accept a classical tragedy as the result of character development.

I know I found it moving, but everybody has different takes on it.

Starblazers is an adventure story that focuses on character development with a straight story line. At least I don't remember any major plot twists after the first few episodes set up the main plot. 1970's animation and story style though- some people have a problem with that.
Closed Thread