AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-19, 14:29   Link #41
Greenish Growth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Well the real question for me is if I will still have the anime hobby when I'm 50+ years old and I think I will since that's only several years away. My interest in anime hasn't wavered at all. I haven't become jaded or pessimistic over the years as some others have (a natural tendency). I haven't become picky about what I watch. If anything I've become more accepting of the faults I see in the anime I watch.

My interest in anime has remained consistent over the last twelve years unlike my interest in artwork collecting where my interest has dropped considerably all of a sudden.

But the anime hobby is considerably older than the artwork collecting hobby. The anime is what spawned the other hobby. Anime is the root hobby between the two.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 22:56   Link #42
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
I believe that once you make a hobby part of your life philosophy, it will stay with you for a long time. The thoughts that you have as you go about your hobby, if you apply them to other aspects of your life successfully, then you would not want to give up the hobby.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 07:47   Link #43
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Anime is not my escape or drug never has been .

Anime has always been a excuse to live my fantasies via fiction . Neither do I take movies or anime seriously either . All that matter to me is whether an anime makes my imagination run wild . I have gone through this phases where I been on and off anime . Currently I am off that means I am following just one or two shows . Lot of factors influence this my state of mind , my tolerance factor and more importantly good shows .


Just as any hobby I am going to invest my time only if I can reap maximum enjoyment of it . Depending on the direction, future animes take. Will influence the longevity of my anime hobby .
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 13:29   Link #44
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I think that as we age most of us will lose interest in "anime" as a specific hobby.

That doesn't mean we won't still like certain specific anime. Either for nostalgia or because the anime is great entertainment.

But watching anime just because it's anime? Probably not.

For example, I think Maison Ikkoku and Fullmetal Alchemist will never lose their interest for me. But that's because they are amazing stories regardless of the specific medium they are presented in.
That is exactly it, I remember just watching anime because it was anime when I was younger whereas now I'm just looking for amazing stories. You chose two perfect examples, as well .
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 11:43   Link #45
Js2756
Thread Killer
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropic Melon View Post
Is it difficult to imagine yourself being an anime fan thirty years from now? Assuming that anime and manga will, in some form, still exist and that both haven't quite taken over the world yet (though they might have risen quite a bit in popularity in the future, lol), is it possible for any of you to remain attached to the fandom at such an age?

It's hard to really see myself still holding on to a few of my DVDs and manga past mid-life. I'm sure that I'll probably remain a fan for at least a decade or so, seeing as I still have ample room for the stuff in my life. But to see myself retire in forty more years and watch anime with the same zeal I have now is really tough to do.

For right now though, I'll just enjoy the ride and continue to enjoy anime and manga. It may be surprising to see how long I might last with the hobby!
Replace the word anime with television in your argument, then see how many people give up TV after 30 years. TV and anime are really no different, they're just mediums.
__________________
My anime review blog:
www.livejournal.com/~js2756
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 12:10   Link #46
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yamabuki Art High School
Age: 65
If we're talking about mainstream American television, then you can count me among those people who given up on it. I'd say the last network television shows that I watched with any compelling interest were Homicide: Life on the Street, Picket Fences, and reruns of Thirtysomething (at 3am while feeding the baby). You'll notice that none of these were telecast in the past decade.

That baby is now seventeen. She watches reruns of Star Trek: TNG and the occasional episode of What not to Wear for the comedy value. I watch live sports, and we both play games and watch anime and feature films. I've been considering dropping my cable subscription because we now have over 500 channels and watch at most half a dozen of them.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 12:12   Link #47
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 26
Thirty years? Anime might be extinct by then...or to censored to watch, who knows. I can't say for sure, but if I can still access anime as easily as today, sure, why not. Anime are like books, you never get tired of them as long as something new is around
I stopped watching TV the day I started watching anime, so if something new comes up, the possibility of dropping anime to do something else is rather high as well.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 12:16   Link #48
Aqua Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 22
I want to finish Naruto and Bleach.
That's one of my wishes in my life even if they long ten more years I would still do that.
I 've been watching and reading Jap staff only for 3 years but I'm a bit sick with it now, I mean anime. Well, manga more or less it's not that time-wasteable.
Now I find it more amusing to play VN rather watching or reading(though in VN you do the same precisely)
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 12:19   Link #49
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Replace the word anime with television in your argument, then see how many people give up TV after 30 years. TV and anime are really no different, they're just mediums.
Actually, I know quite a few people who don't own a TV set anymore these days. And it's not because they now simply use their computers in the same way instead.

But in any case, the problem with the word "fan" is the same as with the word "hobby". Watching TV doesn't make you a "TV fan"

In 30 years from now, I'd say the probability that I haven't watched any anime for more than 12 months is less than 20 percent. But the probability that I'll consider myself an anime fan is also less than 20 percent. Well, maybe I will, but others will consider me an old whiner rambling how anime sucks and was so much better before it wasn't all about ferrets because all otaku nowadays want to see is anime about ferrets for some reason.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?

Last edited by Slice of Life; 2009-09-05 at 12:45.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 13:02   Link #50
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Replace the word anime with television in your argument, then see how many people give up TV after 30 years. TV and anime are really no different, they're just mediums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If we're talking about mainstream American television, then you can count me among those people who given up on it. I'd say the last network television shows that I watched with any compelling interest were Homicide: Life on the Street, Picket Fences, and reruns of Thirtysomething (at 3am while feeding the baby). You'll notice that none of these were telecast in the past decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Actually, I know quite a few people who don't own a TV set anymore these days. And it's not because they now simply use their computers in the same way instead.
Count me among those who haven't watched much TV in recent years. Actually, in quite a number of years, since at least as far back as when I was an undergraduate who was too cheap to buy a TV for his dorm room (between 1996 and 2000).

Slightly off-topic, but the above comments aroused my curiosity. Which makes me wonder, how many people still get their news from TV today? Or has that become a mainly online activity? Certainly, with the advent of RSS feeds, information gathering has become a far more customisable affair.

Back on-topic, anime will remain a hobby for only as long as studios produce content that interests me, an ageing geek who is losing interest in the bulk of shounen/shoujo programmes cranked out every season. However, given the kind of advertising that the industry typically draws, I don't expect that trend to change. So, anime is likely to become an increasingly niche hobby, for me, as time goes on.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 13:03   Link #51
Js2756
Thread Killer
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I think everyone is taking what I said and misinterpreting it. Anime by itself doesn't really define anything. Anime is a medium, nothing more (technically it does define itself as a series of "drawn" images filmed to look like a moving picture). Anime as a standalone term, doesn't define the content. When I compared it to TV, TV itself does not define the content either, nor do terms like "movie" or "music".

@slice of life: If watching TV does not make you a TV fan, what defines an anime fan if not someone who watches anime? The problem with the initial question is that it does not define what an anime fan is either.

I think a better question is what is it specifically about the medium that would make you stop using it. Why would I choose to consume the content of the medium in a different one?

I really think that the initial question is more along the lines of, "Will I still wish to receive the content presented by anime, in 30 years time?" Note that the question now deals with content, and not the anime medium. This is a much more valid question, imo, as it deals with changing preferences, and not content delivery.
__________________
My anime review blog:
www.livejournal.com/~js2756
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 14:06   Link #52
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Slightly off-topic, but the above comments aroused my curiosity. Which makes me wonder, how many people still get their news from TV today? Or has that become a mainly online activity? Certainly, with the advent of RSS feeds, information gathering has become a far more customisable affair.
Make a thread about the use of TV in general and as news source in particular and I will gladly participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
@slice of life: If watching TV does not make you a TV fan, what defines an anime fan if not someone who watches anime? The problem with the initial question is that it does not define what an anime fan is either.
Well ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
A fan, aficionado, or supporter is someone who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking and enthusiasm for a sporting club, person (usually a celebrity), group of persons, company, product, activity, work of art, idea, or trend.
You might disagree with that definition but I consider it self-evident that simply consuming a form of entertainment doesn't make you a fan.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 15:18   Link #53
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropic Melon View Post
Is it difficult to imagine yourself being an anime fan thirty years from now? Assuming that anime and manga will, in some form, still exist and that both haven't quite taken over the world yet (though they might have risen quite a bit in popularity in the future, lol), is it possible for any of you to remain attached to the fandom at such an age?

It's hard to really see myself still holding on to a few of my DVDs and manga past mid-life. I'm sure that I'll probably remain a fan for at least a decade or so, seeing as I still have ample room for the stuff in my life. But to see myself retire in forty more years and watch anime with the same zeal I have now is really tough to do.

For right now though, I'll just enjoy the ride and continue to enjoy anime and manga. It may be surprising to see how long I might last with the hobby!
Hard to see the future to begin with. Maybe you'll be dead even before reaching mid-life (that's just an example). Ultimately, my advice would be, just enjoy your hobbies without asking you too much questions.

Planning things for the future is good imo, but thinking about if I'll still watch animes, read books, or cook past mid-life is not necessary imo.

But, I wonder what difference you see between watching an anime and watching a movie, reading a book and reading a manga? Do you also plan to drop movies and books at mid-life? Adults are very busy, but watching a movie or an anime episode once a week is not impossible even at mid life.

You can get tired of any hobbies, not only manga and animes. Now maybe you see animes and mangas as hobbies for kids? If so, that's your opinion In my case, when I enjoyed watching some DBZ episodes with my father, or when I play to wii sport with my mom and dad, I don't feel like there is any reason for them to feel ashamed to watch some cartoons/animes with their childrens, and to play to some videogames.


So, care to share your opinions and reasons?

Last edited by Narona; 2009-09-05 at 15:31.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 06:23   Link #54
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yamabuki Art High School
Age: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Make a thread about the use of TV in general and as news source in particular and I will gladly participate.
I stole TRL's fire. Hope you don't mind! Here's your thread.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 07:17   Link #55
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nanairogaoka
Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Will probably stay an anime fan until I'm dead and buried.

Watching anime has been my #1 stress reliever since I've started working. Working 9-10 hrs a day, 6 days a week... it's simply tiring. Anime, espescially the lighthearted ones like Shugo Chara takes away most of the stress I've gotten the entire day.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 14:18   Link #56
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I've loved animation all my life and watched anime actively since the mid eighties. Don't think it will ever go away. As I grow older my taste has widended and changed but there always seem to be anime that interest me.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 15:45   Link #57
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I feel like if you still like it out of your teen years, then you'll like it for most of your life. Tastes don't change that much once you're out of college.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 22:02   Link #58
othera
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia,Queensland
I'm still a kid right now, but I definitely will revisit my favorite anime series in the future.

People play games from many years ago for nostalgia(I'm currently playing morrowind just because) so why not the same for other things?

Also not to mention in the future it will probably be easier to watch more anime, so I'll probably be watching it my entire life.
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 22:22   Link #59
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
I love anime because I love the aesthetics. After 12 years, I still watch a few series but I'm not as obsessive. My obsession is now something else. I probably will watch it for years to come but again the feeling won't be as strong.
__________________
"I have a dream..."
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 00:00   Link #60
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Anime for life. I've been watching since the age of 16 and love it more than ever.

It's possible that Option 2 could happen--that the Anime medium takes a turn for the worse and disenfranchises me... but even then all it would mean is that I would stop watching the newer shows and go back to re-watching anime from yesterday.

I'm taking my interest in anime to the grave. >8)
__________________
Currently Watching: Golgo 13 (TV) - Someday's Dreamers
Epoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.