AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-06, 20:22   Link #3821
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Did Glen Beck had anything to do with this....?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090906/...dviser_resigns
He probably played a role in it at least. The guy was being blasted on just about every show Glen Beck did. (My brother and his son watch it religiously.) After this though, I'm betting Glen Beck increases his attacks on the Obama adminstration.
Old 2009-09-06, 21:06   Link #3822
LynnieS

Quote:

/me shrugs. There have been several public officials who recently, opened their mouths and stuffed their feet directly inside. In a reasonably democratic/republic state, you're bound to get people disagreeing with one politician vs another, and everything you say or do (no matter how long ago that was) can come back to haunt you. Barack Obama does not need a controversy ATM when he is already facing worries over the economy and healthcare - not to mention the upcoming 2010 elections that will affect the 2nd half of his term. A smart guy would, IMHO, offer to resign and collect an IOU from him for the future instead of, say, being forced out.

Glenn Beck has been under fire recently for his words, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear his being forced out soon. OTOH, if that happens, he'll just be rehired somewhere else. In the end, controversial figures, esp. in the "talking heads" area, sell.

Wall Street banks looks to life insurance bundles
Quote:
The bankers plan to buy “life settlements,” life insurance policies that ill and elderly people sell for cash — $400,000 for a $1 million policy, say, depending on the life expectancy of the insured person. Then they plan to “securitize” these policies, in Wall Street jargon, by packaging hundreds or thousands together into bonds. They will then resell those bonds to investors, like big pension funds, who will receive the payouts when people with the insurance die.
Scary idea, IMHO. By securitizing these into tranches of degrees of riskiness, the idea is to protect investors, but given their history (related to MBS anyway), I find it hard to believe that this will come out any better - unless you put up massive amount of cash reserves, for one, to ensure your tranches' ratings are valid, though.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-09-06, 21:15   Link #3823
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

i blame the obam admin for not checking this guys back ground more carefully. you would think after the daschle nomination fiasco, someone in the admin would take the vetting process more carefully.

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/07/wo...eapons.html?hp

Despite a recession that knocked down global arms sales last year, the United States expanded its role as the world’s leading weapons supplier, increasing its share to more than two-thirds of all foreign armaments deals, according to a new Congressional study.
who said US manufacturing is going down the drain.
Old 2009-09-06, 21:26   Link #3824
Hage-bai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
They are slightly right on that part. Anti-racist = racist.

Anyway with the economy down in doldrums and China becoming the next US of the 21st century, why do these people even have time to mount protests?
Some of these people are probably living partially off the dole now that the economy slumped. They have plenty of free time.

I am not suprised by these events and they will continue to occur in years to come as the strength of the social right winger BNP grows; a byproduct of a failed Rawlsian and Millet multiculturism experiment conducted by the British government. Sad.
Old 2009-09-06, 22:21   Link #3825
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Pixar wins Golden Lion at Venice Film Fest
Quote:
Venice (Sept 6): Animation guru John Lasseter and his "brothers in creative film making" at Disney/Pixar received a career Golden Lion at the Venice film festival today.

"This is a tremendous honour," Lasseter said at the ceremony in the Sala Grande of the Lido's Palazzo del Cinema, flanked by Disney/Pixar directors Brad Bird, Peter Docter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich.

"'Pixar is founded on true creative collaboration," he said after receiving the award from George Lucas, who sold off the embryonic Pixar — then Lucasfilm's computer graphics division — in 1986 for US$10 million.

"These are my best friends and my brothers in creative film making," Lasseter said. "Our dream is always simple: To entertain our audiences around the world, everybody."

- AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Old 2009-09-06, 22:22   Link #3826
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
He probably played a role in it at least. The guy was being blasted on just about every show Glen Beck did. (My brother and his son watch it religiously.) After this though, I'm betting Glen Beck increases his attacks on the Obama adminstration.

i'd say he played a major role in ousting that czar

one down, 700 to go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsDJJ8J1ZT0
look at the screen where it says

DEMAND ANSWERS: CALL THE WHITE HOUSE SWITCHBOARD AT 202-456-1414
(from 2:00 to 2:20)

DEMAND ANSWERS: CALL THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD AT 202-456-3121
(from 2:21 to 2:45, then repeats back to white house switchboard for another 20 secs)

i bet your bro and his son were raging in front of TV at what Beck was *reporting* (typically not covered in the mainstream media)
fueled by uncontrollable rage, they (probably) dialed those switchboards to "Demand Answers"

Last edited by mg1942; 2009-09-06 at 22:53.
Old 2009-09-07, 08:24   Link #3827
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i blame the obam admin for not checking this guys back ground more carefully. you would think after the daschle nomination fiasco, someone in the admin would take the vetting process more carefully.
I'm sure that there are other candidates who can take Van Jones's place as the "green jobs" czar (which is an odd title for which people came up, IMHO). The Obama administration - or anyone fielding people in the public's eyes really - needs to pre-vet its candidates before having them take on the work - or at the very least, ensure that the leaders of the parties fully support them in public beforehand.

2000 students (or so) at WSU with swine flu symptoms.
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AFP) – Some 2,000 students at Washington State University have reported symptoms of swine flu, university officials said, in one of the largest reported outbreaks of the virus on a US college campus.
There are about 19,000 students at the university, so that is a whopping 10.5% of the student population - not even counting those who are quietly nursing themselves back to health. Good grief.

Japanese government and private firms to tackle cell phone music piracy
Quote:
The Yomiuri Shimbun - The Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry and the telecom and music industries plan to jointly introduce a system to prevent cell phone users from downloading illegally distributed music files to their cell phones via the Internet, it has been learned.
Interesting idea, but how do you stop people who are not downloading from these music sites then? Also, what about music without the tags that get sent to the servers for checking? Let's say that I have a CD (100% legit) from which I want a music clip. It wouldn't have the tags, yes, or are we talking about changing software like iTunes for ripping CD's so that they add the tags automatically here?

Last edited by LynnieS; 2009-09-07 at 08:33. Reason: Added news story.
Old 2009-09-07, 09:23   Link #3828
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
who said US manufacturing is going down the drain.
Firearms wise, I would say I trust the Israelis, Belgians and US in building those stuff, though their M16-series are nowhere as reliable as the AK, but it certainly has more functions as an assault/precision weapon. If US didn't win the Cold War, I doubt modern rifles would be modelled after the M16-type design. Quality is important if you are to fight a war, you can't just go in wasting ammo or firing until the plastic magazine melts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Interesting idea, but how do you stop people who are not downloading from these music sites then? Also, what about music without the tags that get sent to the servers for checking? Let's say that I have a CD (100% legit) from which I want a music clip. It wouldn't have the tags, yes, or are we talking about changing software like iTunes for ripping CD's so that they add the tags automatically here?
Interesting article, but they are probably working on a generic tag like what cellphone companies are doing, a standardised charger. It probably makes things more black and white, but it won't deter music piracy, it just drives them underground.

Harnessing technology is the way of the future. Humans have the ability to learn so it is best we make use of it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-09-07, 11:45   Link #3829
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I'm sure that there are other candidates who can take Van Jones's place as the "green jobs" czar (which is an odd title for which people came up, IMHO). The Obama administration - or anyone fielding people in the public's eyes really - needs to pre-vet its candidates before having them take on the work - or at the very least, ensure that the leaders of the parties fully support them in public beforehand.

Quote:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/26813.html

And it was a fresh reminder that the White House’s vetting process didn’t fall down only on high-profile nominees like Tom Daschle. It barely touched the lower reaches of the administration – a White House official conceded Sunday that Jones’ past statements weren’t as thoroughly scrubbed due to his relatively low rank. Jones’ selection also was propelled by powerful patrons, who included the first lady and the vice president.
guess we know why van jones wasn't vetted as properly but still no excuse.

Quote:
The departure – nominally the choice of a still-defiant Jones, who said he feared distracting from important business – confirmed Obama’s choice of pragmatism over confrontation and a belief that controversies sometimes are better solved by capitulation, a view that infuriates Obama’s allies on the left.
someone remind Obama that no matter what he does, the Conservative Right will hate anyways. Forget compromise go for the Hammer.
Old 2009-09-07, 12:56   Link #3830
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
I am not sure how the system works but it will most likely be implemented into the new mobile models, the ones with advanced technology as that most mobile phones don't have a very large storage capacity.

About your suggestion, I am thinking that it is most likely related to the ID tag of the song file which you can't really imitate without knowing the unique codes and numbers for each song, even though it is possible to perfect it but since it is a time-consuming process, people probably won't bother with it.

Perhaps, the method is the removal of the temp folder in a mobile phone that allows transfering files or to make the ringtone folder entirely non-accessible. Unless the mobile itself has awesome features, I doubt anybody would purchase one especially if its going to be expensive.
Old 2009-09-07, 16:18   Link #3831
Shadow Kira01

Afghan group says NATO strike killed 70 civilians

Something I don't see everyday...

The Talibans are currently seeking the aid of the United Nations over a recent NATO airstrike which claimed the lives of at least 70 civilians. Since the terrorist organization is getting the United Nations to get involved, it seems as though the NATO are the bad guys now. In fact, based on the given information, it is difficult to tell whether the Talibans are the true terrorists or the NATO is as that 70 civilians were killed in what appears to be an indiscriminated mass murder. Hmmm...

Afghan President Accuses US of Trying to Undermine Him

Considering that NATO just sent some fighter planes and killed 70 civilians, I don't think the United States care much what the leaders of Afghanistan or any regional nation thinks as that there is a huge gap between their economy and military power. Nonetheless, the people in Afghanistan don't look too happy about it.

Israel Defies Washington, Approves Settlement Expansion

Considering that the United States provide Israel with much more monthly welfare than to their own American citizens, not sure if the Jewish leaders are making the right decision or not. On the contrary, Israel's economy seems to be in better shape than that of the United States. I guess Israel don't really care..

Iranian President Refuses to Negotiate Nuclear 'Right'

Considering that Israel can defy the United States whenever they feel necessary to do so and the fact that a number of nations in the world right now really shouldn't be allowed to have nuclear capabilities yet they possess it, I don't see any problem with Iran possessing it. Its not like they plan on nuking people once they start making the warheads. Generally, if China is allowed to expand their military power while possessing hundreds to thousands of nuclear warheads while continuing to manufacture more, I don't see why Iran is prohibited from keeping one or two nuclear warheads as deterrents. Both the United States and Russia currently are trying to abolish nuclear warheads as that both sides have thousands. Speaking of which, Iran's enemy, Israel also have quite a nuclear arsenal, not to mention their military power is quite high.
Old 2009-09-07, 19:04   Link #3832
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post

Considering that the United States provide Israel with much more monthly welfare than to their own American citizens, not sure if the Jewish leaders are making the right decision or not. On the contrary, Israel's economy seems to be in better shape than that of the United States. I guess Israel don't really care..
did the united states give Israel a reason to agree to their request of stopping all Settlement Expansion ?
was there any progress in the negotiations for peace that would give Israel a reason to stop expending Settlements ?
monthly welfare doesn't give the US a say in internal Israeli politics
especially when there is no ongoing peace negotiations, much less a progress in it

the Settlement Expansion plays a part in the peace negotiations in the same way that palestinian terror and incitement does
its a stick to go along with a lack of carrots
so long as there is no progress, the Palestinians continue to use terror and incitement against Israel as means of pressure to compromise on certain points in the negotiations that Israel doesn't want to compromise on
its basically saying "if you don't compromise, we'll make your lives a living hell until you do"
the Israeli response is to continuing the expansion of settlements so long as there is no significant progress in any peace negotiations
the message being "if you don't compromise and negotiate with us now, you're likely to get less land in the final peace settlement"

terrorism and settlements
its a way for both sides are being a dick to one another until someone caves and negotiations resume
childish and stupid ? - yes
but would forcing only one child to play nice while letting the other be a dick help solve anything ? - hardly

Last edited by bladeofdarkness; 2009-09-07 at 19:22.
Old 2009-09-07, 19:22   Link #3833
autobachs
Banned

Quote:

serves him right!

Van Jones called HIMSELF a Communist!!!

Having people who believe in Communism advising the President is not a comfortable scenario for many people. Van Jones made his own statements. Nobody put those words in his mouth.

Van Jones signed the petition at 911truth.org - nobody did it for him.

He's a Yale Law School Graduate, for heavens's sake. He should have had the intelligence to read fully any and all disclaimers related to the signature he applied to that petition.

Van Jones created this situation by attacking Glenn Beck over some words Beck said. Beck then turned around and did the job not being done (by people with Journalism degrees who are being paid for this very work) - he did investigative journalism.

Beck brought to light exactly what kind of person Van Jones is, which just further highlights a character trait in President Obama. The President himself said that if we want to know more about him, we should look at the people with whom he surrounds himself.

Well, we have, and we don't like what we see.
Old 2009-09-07, 19:34   Link #3834
LynnieS

Quote:

The Talibans are currently seeking the aid of the United Nations over a recent NATO airstrike which claimed the lives of at least 70 civilians. Since the terrorist organization is getting the United Nations to get involved, it seems as though the NATO are the bad guys now. In fact, based on the given information, it is difficult to tell whether the Talibans are the true terrorists or the NATO is as that 70 civilians were killed in what appears to be an indiscriminated mass murder. Hmmm...
Collateral damage happens in combat. There is also some back-and-forth going on in NATO between Germany (whose commanders apparently ordered the bombing - although a bit late, it seems?) and the U.S. (whose pilot(s) carried it out - and supplied the grainy images leading to the decision).

NATO was also not very smart in first claiming that no civilians were hurt or killed and then having to backtrack. Just bad and sloppy PR work without any responsibility taken, IMHO.

And the Taliban isn't 100% blameless either, IMHO - for either forcing the civilians to get the fuel (and I read of reasons offered from 'acting as human shields' to 'being generous to the people') or letting them do so. OTOH, they probably will win in the end.

Quote:

The situation facing Israel isn't really, IMHO, an economic one. Getting financial aid from the U.S. doesn't play a huge part, I feel - although cutting off the technical and military aid could hurt. Unless you get idiots who then turn over technology to them for either money or ideology.

It's very much an "us vs them" situation there, IMHO. You have moderates on both sides who want peace and an acceptable settlement, but the ones with the loudest voices aren't those guys.

Parts of the U.S. like the N.E. tended to be pro-Israel (but not 100% sure any longer), and the Central part used to not care much at all. I'm guessing that Western Europe is like that as well - although favoring Palestinians instead from the news?

Old 2009-09-07, 19:38   Link #3835
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Collateral damage happens in combat. There is also some back-and-forth going on in NATO between Germany (whose commanders apparently ordered the bombing - although a bit late, it seems?) and the U.S. (whose pilot(s) carried it out - and supplied the grainy images leading to the decision).
would such a statements be acceptable if it was an Israeli strike ?
or would there be protests in the streets of europe and a demand for a war crimes tribunal 2 hours later ?
Old 2009-09-07, 19:38   Link #3836
autobachs
Banned

Quote:
/me shrugs. There have been several public officials who recently, opened their mouths and stuffed their feet directly inside. In a reasonably democratic/republic state, you're bound to get people disagreeing with one politician vs another, and everything you say or do (no matter how long ago that was) can come back to haunt you. Barack Obama does not need a controversy ATM when he is already facing worries over the economy and healthcare - not to mention the upcoming 2010 elections that will affect the 2nd half of his term. A smart guy would, IMHO, offer to resign and collect an IOU from him for the future instead of, say, being forced out.
Some congressmen are asking for hearings as to whether appointing the czars (commissars) without congressional over sight is constitutional.

the peasants are angry m'lord, rebellious words are upon their lips. It doth bod ill for thy kingdom.

Quote:
Glenn Beck has been under fire recently for his words, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear his being forced out soon. OTOH, if that happens, he'll just be rehired somewhere else. In the end, controversial figures, esp. in the "talking heads" area, sell.
Glen Beck has highest rating on cable news and a best selling book. A bunch of liberal groups (including Van Jones) are trying to get him tossed--his biggest crime was calling Obama 'racist' during the cop thing. He's not going anywhere
Old 2009-09-07, 20:07   Link #3837
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
would such a statements be acceptable if it was an Israeli strike ?
or would there be protests in the streets of europe and a demand for a war crimes tribunal 2 hours later ?
Yes. At least, I would still make it. I'm not a rabid fan of Israel, but at the same time, I don't 100% support the Palestinians' claims either.

Combat is fluid. It isn't like some 360 video game where you get detailed updates all the time and where, if you meet certain conditions, a pre-arranged event gets triggered. That's why the term "fog of war" got coined. When you have aircraft flying overhead at a few thousand meters looking down with a poorly resoluton'ed camera, telling one raggedly dressed figure who is a civilian dirt farmer vs one who is a guerrilla instead is hard to do.

Unless you get an observer or two sitting right there on top of the situation - which then risks their being killed or captured - you can and will face this situation.

Whether the people of Europe (or the U.S. or Asia) protest is irrelevant. They're not the ones on the ground facing the unknown ranging from bad drinking water to a civilian carrying a readied hand grenade. It's bad enough that you can have REMF officers giving orders that might not be appropriate for the situation, having civilians - and not even ones elected to office! - doing so is just silly. It's probably one of the better ways of which I can think to get them killed (or sent home injured) the fastest. If they aren't happy about their sons and daughters out there, then get their elected officials to withdraw them. As long as they can live with and accept any and all possible consequences that might happen.

If the politicians aren't happy about the "what might be"'s, then set them in the rules of engagement and make sure that they are followed.

Old 2009-09-08, 06:35   Link #3838
killer3000ad

Quote:

The Talibans are currently seeking the aid of the United Nations over a recent NATO airstrike which claimed the lives of at least 70 civilians. Since the terrorist organization is getting the United Nations to get involved, it seems as though the NATO are the bad guys now. In fact, based on the given information, it is difficult to tell whether the Talibans are the true terrorists or the NATO is as that 70 civilians were killed in what appears to be an indiscriminated mass murder.Hmmm...
Well yeah, you don't see that everyday cause NATO doesn't try to kill civilians everyday on purpose. That'd be the Talibans job, when they aren't cutting off a man's nose and ears for voting, or driving this car bomb into school kids. From time to time, they also enjoy shutting down girls schools. Does NATO do all these on a regular basis? Enough to warrant your comparisons above?

No this is what NATO and it's allies try to do in Afghanistan. 10 British soldiers died so 150 Afghans could vote in what is an increasingly fraudelent Afghan election with low turnout.

It's unfortunate that civilians got caught up in this all, but remember that the Taliban hijacked the tankers first, then gathered civilians around to take the fuel. Now they milking it for all the PR value they can, inspite of their past atrocities, a few I just mentioned above.

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2009-09-08 at 07:03.
Old 2009-09-08, 07:05   Link #3839
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Well yeah, you don't see that everyday cause NATO doesn't try to kill civilians everyday on purpose. That'd be the Talibans job, when they aren't cutting off a man's nose and ears for voting, or driving this car bomb into school kids. From time to time, they also enjoy shutting down girls schools. Does NATO do all these on a regular basis? Enough to warrant your comparisons above?

No this is what NATO and it's allies try to do in Afghanistan. 10 British soldiers died so 150 Afghans could vote in what is an increasingly fraudelent Afghan election with low turnout.

It's unfortunate that civilians got caught up in this all, but remember that the Taliban hijacked the tankers first, then gathered civilians around to take the fuel. Now they milking it for all the PR value they can, inspite of their past atrocities, a few I just mentioned above.
interesting to note that if you replace NATO with IDF and taliban with hamas you would often get different responses
despite it being practicely the same thing
Old 2009-09-08, 07:12   Link #3840
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
interesting to note that if you replace NATO with IDF and taliban with hamas you would often get different responses
despite it being practicely the same thing
Well, the IDF does have several decades worth of really bad publicity going against it there. NATO has only been in Afghanistan for six years. NATO would need to blitz something equivalent to Gaza several times a decade before you seemlessly replace the two. And you still need a displaced group of people languishing in small cooped up enclaves or external refugees camps for 30-40 years before you could get Jimmy Carter to fly over there and meet with Taliban leaders.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international