AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 17 29.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 26.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 31.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-09, 21:31   Link #121
Rawrs
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Heck, is Lawrence even a virgin in the first place? :P
Wasn't there a scene with him in bed with Chloe somewhere in the first or second episode of season 1? I'd also say that with him being a travelling merchant with a fair amount or wit (though lack of romantic skills), chances are he's not. Then again I could be completely and utterly wrong on both points!

I think there may actually have been something going on between him and Chloe (though not a relationship, more of a promiscuous fling) when he was at her village from time to time, but it's just a hunch.
Rawrs is offline  
Old 2009-09-09, 22:35   Link #122
BashZeStampeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrs View Post
Wasn't there a scene with him in bed with Chloe somewhere in the first or second episode of season 1? I'd also say that with him being a travelling merchant with a fair amount or wit (though lack of romantic skills), chances are he's not. Then again I could be completely and utterly wrong on both points!

I think there may actually have been something going on between him and Chloe (though not a relationship, more of a promiscuous fling) when he was at her village from time to time, but it's just a hunch.
Chloe was supposed to be his apprentice, but she seemed *very* interested in him, to the point of seducing him. He essentially brushed her off, but it was sort of ambiguous as to whether or not he did so intentionally (but knowing Lawrence )
BashZeStampeedo is offline  
Old 2009-09-10, 04:36   Link #123
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, but my "self" started quite a bit after the last Australopithecus died.
But the physical continuity exists. Even if it is separated by great amount of time. If there was none you simply would not be here as you (and I) would not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
A lot smaller. I'm positively gigantic, compared to my newborn self. I've also acquired quite a lot of hair. And teeth. And the changes in my mind are even greater.
Yes, but you cannot change your form since physical none of an bodies can. None of wolves can change their form or communicate with humans. That is what i called abnormal and that is what breaks the physical continuity. The changes are just too different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
How do you know? Maybe she used to be merely six-feet tall, in between being normal sized and becoming a full fledged goddess.
So according to you normal wolves are six-feet tall and can change their form to humans? Great riddance, but I think many would disagree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Abnormal compared to what? To what she used to be when she was a simple wolf, if she ever was? So what? Do you see a lot of 185cm babies?
To other wolves. There can be tall and high humans but no-one of them can change their shape and body mass at their will in an instant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So she's picked up a few abilities. Nice for her. Myself, I acquired the ability to walk, talk, and a host of others. Like arguing on the internet in English. You don't see a lot of babies able to do that.
Many people can learn that in natural process of learning or growing up. But none can do something that human body is not capable off - like living without oxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What makes a body and mind different? As I said, I'm vastly different to what I used to be as a baby. And yet, I used to be a baby. One self, different bodies and minds.
Your body is the same. It just experienced natural changes that all humans do experience (less some interruptions happen). You keep the continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We do not know how the change happened, or even if there was one. If one wolf died, and a full fledged wolf goddess appeared ex nihilo next to the corpse, your argument has merit. Would we even say Horo used to be a normal wolf, then? If on the contrary, a wolf grew and grew over the years, gaining a mind the way a baby becomes self-aware and grows into an intelligent adult, only gaining the ability to transform once there was a firm sense of self that allows us, to this day, to affirm that Horo is both the young maiden and the giant wolf, then there's your continuity.
Thats what I am telling you. She has to be wolf-god from the beginning if she gained those abilities through growing up (because normal wolves do not posses those abilities). Then the continuity would exist, yet if a normal wolf is changed the whole mind and body structure is changed radically thus the being that came into be is not the wolf that was before. The being is so radically different that it has no continuity at all. Thats where the problem lies.

You can say but Australopithecus could do some things that I cannot, and I can do something that Australopithecus could not. But those things either can be taught and learned or comes in a natural way of evolution (like physical changes), which do not radically destroy the chain of continuity.

The change that wolf-god experiences is too radical in both mind and body that wolf cannot learn through normal way of evolution or learning.

It is not like a stone statue made from stone. If it was you could say the form changed but the material (stone) remains and posses the same qualities still (thus sucesion remains).

Here you can only talk about a stone statue made from wax. And it makes no sense because wax do not posses the qualities of stone thus you cannot make from it a STONE statue.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-09-10, 14:55   Link #124
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
But the physical continuity exists. Even if it is separated by great amount of time. If there was none you simply would not be here as you (and I) would not exist.
It's not a matter of time or of causality, but of identity. My parents and I are separate entities. My baby self and I aren't - we're one entity at different points in time.


Quote:
Yes, but you cannot change your form since physical none of an bodies can.
Oh, I can change all right. It's called "aging".

Quote:
So according to you normal wolves are six-feet tall and can change their form to humans? Great riddance, but I think many would disagree with that.
I meant there could be some intermediate stage between normal wolf and giant wolf who can carry several people or swallow them whole. It doesn't have to be all one or the other.


Quote:
To other wolves. There can be tall and high humans but no-one of them can change their shape and body mass at their will in an instant.



Many people can learn that in natural process of learning or growing up. But none can do something that human body is not capable off - like living without oxygen



Your body is the same. It just experienced natural changes that all humans do experience (less some interruptions happen). You keep the continuity.



Thats what I am telling you. She has to be wolf-god from the beginning if she gained those abilities through growing up (because normal wolves do not posses those abilities). Then the continuity would exist, yet if a normal wolf is changed the whole mind and body structure is changed radically thus the being that came into be is not the wolf that was before. The being is so radically different that it has no continuity at all. Thats where the problem lies.

You can say but Australopithecus could do some things that I cannot, and I can do something that Australopithecus could not. But those things either can be taught and learned or comes in a natural way of evolution (like physical changes), which do not radically destroy the chain of continuity.

The change that wolf-god experiences is too radical in both mind and body that wolf cannot learn through normal way of evolution or learning.

It is not like a stone statue made from stone. If it was you could say the form changed but the material (stone) remains and posses the same qualities still (thus sucesion remains).

Here you can only talk about a stone statue made from wax. And it makes no sense because wax do not posses the qualities of stone thus you cannot make from it a STONE statue.
"Wolves don't have magical abilities like Horo's, and can't acquire them". That's your argument, basically. And it's true - IRL. Well, IRL, wolf gods don't exist at all. The world of Spice and Wolf, OTOH, isn't Real Life. It's a world where deities and magic exist. In such a world, it's possible that those deities come from normal animals. And there's no reason that change couldn't be gradual. Sure, the end result is very different from what you started with. But have you ever seen a human embryo? In comparison to what could come out of that, going from dog-sized wolf to talking house-sized wolf seems fairly trivial.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-09-10, 16:01   Link #125
Cinocard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Lol, I was very determined to not join in, but something like this is so tempting Let me clarify your points, Anh Minh

Quote:
She has to be wolf-god from the beginning if she gained those abilities through growing up (because normal wolves do not posses those abilities).Yet if a normal wolf is changed the whole mind and body structure is changed radically thus the being that came into be is not the wolf that was before.
1: Then if she gained those ability not by growing up, but by another reason, she could have been a normal wolf?

2: normal wolves do not posses those abilities. It's a fact. But it's unprovable that normal wolves do not possess the potential to acquire those abilities.

3: there may be no normal wolves in OtK in the first place.

4: I postulate it is not as radical as an infant in his mother womb growing into a Darknemo.

Because it's evolution and wolf into wolf-god is not? Who tells you that? Back to point 2 and 3
Cinocard is offline  
Old 2009-09-11, 02:09   Link #126
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
1: Then if she gained those ability not by growing up, but by another reason, she could have been a normal wolf?
If all wolves were gods then we could assume that all wolves can. But when Lawrence talks about wolves he has not in mind god-wolves.

The reason has to be possible by a biological body function. Yet transforming body so ridiculously is not a biological body function. (because mass has to appear ex nihilo or go to nothing).

Quote:
2: normal wolves do not posses those abilities. It's a fact. But it's unprovable that normal wolves do not possess the potential to acquire those abilities.
Yes, just like it is impossible to deny that there is a possibility that tomorrow there will be no sun at all and that your house will start to fly.

Or that if you by jumping from 30 store building would die.

There is a possibility of everything in this world but these possibilities we do not consider realistically, because if you consider these possibilities natural events you would have to stop living with humans. And would deny not only the human laws (I stabbed him with a knife but there was a possbility of him melting the knife with is skin thus it is his fault for choosing not to do that and die or even better I did not kill him, it was a suicide, he stabbed 37 times himself into the back then cut his head off and then went and buried himself while I gathered utensils leaving fingerprints etc, etc) but natural laws as well.

There is a line where a things have to be considered natural and breaking a chain of natural events despite the fact that there always is a possibility of happening in a different way, is unnatural. Just because Newton's law worked 137860098710 times does not mean it will work 137860098711 th time and so on and on, but then the whole socio would be destroyed be it ours or Lawrence's (the one that we see in anime).

Quote:
3: there may be no normal wolves in OtK in the first place.
Lawrence certainly do not talk about god-wolves. That means that experience he had was with normal wolves.

If wolf turning into wolf-god would be normal then there is no way Horo transformation would be so shocking to him (and to others) because living this long nearside with humans such things would have been revealed. Now however such tings are considered just a legend despite merchants being attacked for a years by wolves.

Quote:
4: I postulate it is not as radical as an infant in his mother womb growing into a Darknemo.
Nope it is more radical than that because you change your body mass and bone structure at our will. Even if you did not have such bones or such mass before.

Lets say what would surprise you more - a pregnant man or a man turning into a rat at your sight?

Both are surprising but I would consider much more unnatural later than the first, because in the first case I still could blame medicine, but in the second case I cannot because while medicine can change our body appearance it cannot do that out of nothing. But it is obvious that body mass and some bones come out of nothing or go to noting while transforming.

Quote:
Because it's evolution and wolf into wolf-god is not? Who tells you that? Back to point 2 and 3
Loosing ones mind shows it is not natural process. Lets say Cinocard, you grow up as a child and when you turn to teen do you loose your memory and your mind changes completely (you start 'thinking' like a pig for example, walking on all fours, oinking)? Not really. If it wold happen than it would be unnatural. They would still consider you a Cinocard as the see physical succession but what if you really turn to pig physically? You would be treated as someone/something completely else than Cinocard before.

While teens mind is different from child's succession of memory and mind remains.

You can say that as a baby we do not think much, true, but functional wolf that can mate is 'thinking' much more than a human baby and posses quite a big amounts of memories, that gets complete wipe-out. Thats why I postulate it has to be unnatural.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-09-11, 16:25   Link #127
Cinocard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
The way you are arguing is making us go in circle. So I will try to ignore what you just posted and demonstrate a possibility among possibilities, the one that I used in my last post:
Spoiler for A possible scenario:


Now, the argument "god-wolf is not wolf" can only has some merit if: 1: Horo cannot give birth, or give birth to a god-wolf (which will grow up to be as big as Horo in a mere decade) or a human, after mating with a normal wolf; AND 2: Horo can give birth to a normal child or a god-wolf after mating with a human or a god wolf.

If you want to point to discontinuity, it has to be not from a normal wolf grow up to be a god-wolf, but from a god-wolf to become a human Horo. Perhaps if Spiderman lost his memory yet gaining 100 IQ when he's bit by the spider, you would say he were dead that moment, and the superhero that look like him were a completely different entity (though the change in outer appearance is not as ridiculous, the change in mind and physical abilities are equally ridiculous yet within a much shorter time)

Quote:
when Lawrence talks about wolves he has not in mind god-wolves...If wolf turning into wolf-god would be normal then there is no way Horo transformation would be so shocking to him (and to others) because living this long nearside with humans such things would have been revealed.
How do you expect Lawrence to have god-wolf in mind when he speaks of normal wolf? He was, like majority, completely ignorant of god-wolf in the first place. God-wolves are out there, drinking in their bars and they don't know it, how can they know How can they know how god-wolves comes to be, from the normal wolves that they attack everytime they see?

Do you notice how many time have you committed false dilemma?

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-09-11 at 16:44.
Cinocard is offline  
Old 2009-09-12, 00:09   Link #128
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
The way you are arguing is making us go in circle. So I will try to ignore what you just posted and demonstrate a possibility among possibilities, the one that I used in my last post:
Spoiler for A possible scenario:


Now, the argument "god-wolf is not wolf" can only has some merit if: 1: Horo cannot give birth, or give birth to a god-wolf (which will grow up to be as big as Horo in a mere decade) or a human, after mating with a normal wolf; AND 2: Horo can give birth to a normal child or a god-wolf after mating with a human or a god wolf.

If you want to point to discontinuity, it has to be not from a normal wolf grow up to be a god-wolf, but from a god-wolf to become a human Horo. Perhaps if Spiderman lost his memory yet gaining 100 IQ when he's bit by the spider, you would say he were dead that moment, and the superhero that look like him were a completely different entity (though the change in outer appearance is not as ridiculous, the change in mind and physical abilities are equally ridiculous yet within a much shorter time)



How do you expect Lawrence to have god-wolf in mind when he speaks of normal wolf? He was, like majority, completely ignorant of god-wolf in the first place. God-wolves are out there, drinking in their bars and they don't know it, how can they know How can they know how god-wolves comes to be, from the normal wolves that they attack everytime they see?

Do you notice how many time have you committed false dilemma?

If Lawrence and all other merchants are unaware about god-wolf despite facing them often then that means that turning into a god-wolf is by no means a normal event and does not come in an natural way. It is an unnatural event which changes both mind and body.

Lets say. You were a chimpanzee in the past but turned into a Human (lets say a mature level already) as you-chimpanzee aged.

As a human you have no memories about the chimpanzee-past, you see shape similarities between you and chimpanzee and you can even communicate (with gestures/body language) but you still assume that it is a different being and not part of your family. You do not posses and memories or information about the chimpanzee you assume that you always were a human.

It doesn't matter that you lost your memory due to old age - the key is that you lost it and do not have it and no one can tell you about it.

Remember that Horo never even thinks or talks about her past as normal wolf. Only as a god-wolf in a god-wolf pack. Because she sees no continuity between herself and a normal wolf. Just like you see no continuity between yourself and chimpanzee.

Whenever Horo talks about wolf she talks about herself as a wolf-god and her knowledge about how normal wolves act does not mean she was a normal wolf before - I too know how chimpanzee's act because they are very similar to human and what is different can still be learned through observation (specially if you live long) but it does not make me necessarily a chimpanzee.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-09-12, 00:52   Link #129
Cinocard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
It doesn't matter that you lost your memory due to old age - the key is that you lost it and do not have it and no one can tell you about it.
If I do not have the memory now, but is conscious that I once had it, then it's still valid. I of course would not normally talk about things I don't have anything to talk about then, right? Also, may forget everything, but I would always remember what my origin was. If I really had chimpanzee as my parents, I would regard myself as a chimpanzee.

Like Horo, she may knows that she was once a wolf and grew up, but it's so vague she has nothing to say about it except that "I was once a normal wolf," and therefore she does not talk about it.

Or she may have her pride in being a god-wolf, despite her origin was a normal wolf, so she does not talk about it.

Or, as I said, god-wolf is rare, so once a god-wolf encounter another, they stick. After all, they can hang out as human together, and there's not really a point in wandering around a normal wolf pack. So they just travel together for hundreds of years. So, of course, her friends occupied her mind for hundred years, why should she talk about normal wolves? How often would you talk about your great grand father in a bars?


Quote:
If Lawrence and all other merchants are unaware about god-wolf despite facing them often then that means that turning into a god-wolf is by no means a normal event and does not come in an natural way. It is an unnatural event which changes both mind and body.
I see where you come from, but god-wolf exists in the myth, so encounters between god-wolves in their and human happened, and each time we may assume that bad things happen to the wolves, so they learn their lesson and do not appear in front of human (in fact, they should have enough intelligence to realize that if they are being different from normal wolves, they should hide, in the first place) so they deliberately try to hide.

Spoiler for Fallacies:


You know, you have your own points, and I myself think that god-wolf should be a different specie from normal wolf. There are hints to it, but nothing absolutely deny the possibility other wise, so I simply accounted two other possibilities pages ago, but you must deny it with all your might, and this discussion happens. And now it's as if you must try to prove that my "claims" were wrong, even though I never made any claims. Why must you so? (though I know philosophical brawling is fun, and I welcome it ) As you seem to like Philosophy, let me remind that:
Quote:
The philosopher has to take into account the least philosophical things in the worldd
and
Quote:
Not to care for philosophy is to be a true philosopher
Cinocard is offline  
Old 2009-09-12, 07:37   Link #130
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
If all wolves were gods then we could assume that all wolves can. But when Lawrence talks about wolves he has not in mind god-wolves.
Only one bee in thousands grows up to become a queen. Not all wolves have to transform.

Quote:
While teens mind is different from child's succession of memory and mind remains.

You can say that as a baby we do not think much, true, but functional wolf that can mate is 'thinking' much more than a human baby and posses quite a big amounts of memories, that gets complete wipe-out. Thats why I postulate it has to be unnatural.
We don't know how wolf minds work. Despite all the advanced things they do, I doubt they build memories the way adult humans do. It's not necessary. For example, I remember how to walk. I don't remember learning it. For a wolf, it'd be enough to remember how to hunt and fight and mate. Do they even need to learn much of that?
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-09-13, 15:54   Link #131
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We don't know how wolf minds work. Despite all the advanced things they do, I doubt they build memories the way adult humans do. It's not necessary. For example, I remember how to walk. I don't remember learning it. For a wolf, it'd be enough to remember how to hunt and fight and mate. Do they even need to learn much of that?
Actually wolves do have a memory. Like that incident with filming group back in 1993 where operator helped wolves to save one of their pups and a year later they still remembered him.

It is unclear how their memory works, but it is obvious that they do store past events in their brains. It may be not as good as elephant's but they do have it.

Quote:
If I do not have the memory now, but is conscious that I once had it, then it's still valid. I of course would not normally talk about things I don't have anything to talk about then, right? Also, may forget everything, but I would always remember what my origin was. If I really had chimpanzee as my parents, I would regard myself as a chimpanzee.

Like Horo, she may knows that she was once a wolf and grew up, but it's so vague she has nothing to say about it except that "I was once a normal wolf," and therefore she does not talk about it.

Or she may have her pride in being a god-wolf, despite her origin was a normal wolf, so she does not talk about it.

Or, as I said, god-wolf is rare, so once a god-wolf encounter another, they stick. After all, they can hang out as human together, and there's not really a point in wandering around a normal wolf pack. So they just travel together for hundreds of years. So, of course, her friends occupied her mind for hundred years, why should she talk about normal wolves? How often would you talk about your great grand father in a bars?
It is not vague. It is non-existent at all she cannot assume she was a wolf, becase wolves and god-wolves are different. She cannot assume she and past of normal wolf since she is different from wolf and she lacks ay memories regarding her past so it would be c ore natural to assume she was god-wolf since the birth.

For me it looks like wolf-gods are completely different species from wolves. They are close enough to understand how thy think and able to communicate but are different species. Like humans and chimpanzees.

Quote:
Not to care for philosophy is to be a true philosopher
Lol, and pretty much all of the philosophers ignored that with an exception of maybe Socrates. But again it is not clear how much of what we know is the real Socrates and how much is the idealized image of philosopher that Plato created.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-09-13, 16:33   Link #132
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It is not vague. It is non-existent at all she cannot assume she was a wolf, becase wolves and god-wolves are different. She cannot assume she and past of normal wolf since she is different from wolf and she lacks ay memories regarding her past so it would be c ore natural to assume she was god-wolf since the birth.
Where did she state she had no memories of being a normal wolf?
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-09-13, 17:00   Link #133
BashZeStampeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Where did she state she had no memories of being a normal wolf?
Wasn't it also in episode 2 in the anime where Horo explains to Lawrence that in SaW wolves prey humans partly out of fear, and partly to "gain their power"? She might have only been half-joking, because she did imply that she hunted humans as well (her secret).

There is also the other "immature" wolf god they run into, who seemed to be the alpha of a full pack of wolves. Maybe the more humans they consume the more god-like they get, and eventually gain intelligence and the ability to transform into humans as well? Who knows, it's a fantasy universe so fantasizing is permissible

Of course, nothing so far has given any indication as to how Horo can literally vanish into or live inside of wheat, and volume 4 of the novels has her doing even more supernatural stuff. Well, that's it. Have fun rationalizing the story!
BashZeStampeedo is offline  
Old 2009-09-13, 17:13   Link #134
ATiWolF
Converted Horoist =D
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
Wasn't it also in episode 2 in the anime where Horo explains to Lawrence that in SaW wolves prey humans partly out of fear, and partly to "gain their power"? She might have only been half-joking, because she did imply that she hunted humans as well (her secret).

There is also the other "immature" wolf god they run into, who seemed to be the alpha of a full pack of wolves. Maybe the more humans they consume the more god-like they get, and eventually gain intelligence and the ability to transform into humans as well? Who knows, it's a fantasy universe so fantasizing is permissible
!
From The Horo Character Discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Its a very very old bit of homeopathic magic ... you consume the vital organs of your enemy or prey to acquire their skills. The wolves view their situation with humans as a kind of arms race and the humans seem to be able to use their brains to win despite being dumb as rocks in other ways... soooooooo, at least at one point the wolves probably thought "eat the brains and we'll get smarter".

I've not seen that the story ever does more than imply that connection.
ATiWolF is offline  
Old 2009-09-18, 04:37   Link #135
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific View Post
Pretty much yes, in everything you said.

Btw, i have only followed the anime so i am not really familiar with the novels and stuff, but the anime adaption follows closely (as much as it can, at least) the novels, or has it taken any different route?
From what i know, the novels are still on-going, right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's skipped a volume (the fourth), which casts a slightly different light on Lawrence's hesitations with their relationship.
this was posted way back on the first few pages.. but it never got clarification, can anyone clarify what is in the 4th volume of the novels that would clarify lawrences hesitations with their relationship? thats kinda the main thing in the story and im wondering what us anime only watchers missed
kenshin-dono is offline  
Old 2009-09-18, 10:54   Link #136
BashZeStampeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
this was posted way back on the first few pages.. but it never got clarification, can anyone clarify what is in the 4th volume of the novels that would clarify lawrences hesitations with their relationship? thats kinda the main thing in the story and im wondering what us anime only watchers missed
Sure, but I would honestly recommend read the translated volume online. I'm sure my synopsis will be biased and misinterpret some things (not to mention not doing justice to the story in the slightest):

Spoiler:
BashZeStampeedo is offline  
Old 2009-09-18, 14:39   Link #137
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
Sure, but I would honestly recommend read the translated volume online. I'm sure my synopsis will be biased and misinterpret some things (not to mention not doing justice to the story in the slightest):

Spoiler:
thanks.. hmm that sounds really interesting actually. Chronologically when does this 4th volume take place? part of season 1? season 2? whereabouts?

im actually still watching season 1, but a friend was watching this episode and i watched bits and pieces its making me want to just sit down and plow through the series lol.

sounds like a pretty important series of scenes, im surprised they skipped it.

i almost never check out manga.. but hell i may give this one a look. Is it a bunch of novels or a manga series or what? and is there a spot to check out translations online? I at least want to read this 4th volume that was skipped
kenshin-dono is offline  
Old 2009-09-18, 15:02   Link #138
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
thanks.. hmm that sounds really interesting actually. Chronologically when does this 4th volume take place? part of season 1? season 2? whereabouts?

im actually still watching season 1, but a friend was watching this episode and i watched bits and pieces its making me want to just sit down and plow through the series lol.

sounds like a pretty important series of scenes, im surprised they skipped it.

i almost never check out manga.. but hell i may give this one a look. Is it a bunch of novels or a manga series or what? and is there a spot to check out translations online? I at least want to read this 4th volume that was skipped
It's between season 2's two arcs.

I didn't really mean what Bash said, though. I'll post my thoughts in the novel thread.

Edit: done.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-09-19, 13:34   Link #139
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Tnx guys. You know what i think i do want to check out these light novels. I usually dont read manga but i really am diggin this series and it sounds like they skip a pretty important character development arc! Im not really sure why they skipped this.

Since im not familiar with manga or manga translations, can anyone point me to the best place to read the translations of these online? Hell, what IS a light novel? is it just a compilation of a season of manga or something? hoefully not just what i consider a novel, an actual book with only text.
kenshin-dono is offline  
Old 2009-09-19, 13:51   Link #140
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
Since im not familiar with manga or manga translations, can anyone point me to the best place to read the translations of these online?
Because the manga and the novels have been licensed by Yen Press, we're not supposed to discuss places to read translations, according to the forum's rules.

Quote:
Hell, what IS a light novel? is it just a compilation of a season of manga or something? hoefully not just what i consider a novel, an actual book with only text.
The term "light novel" means that it's a novel that is targeted to teenagers and young adults. "Light" in this case refers to the language used in the writing, the targeted audience, and the length. Light novels are text-based novels, actual books as you called them. Most light novels will have illustrations scattered throughout the pages although there are a few light novels that aren't illustrated. The Spice and Wolf novels have illustrations. For more information about light novels in general, you can read the Wikipedia entry for them.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.