AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-16, 22:47   Link #141
freakonboard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
^Volume1 Chapter5
freakonboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 22:48   Link #142
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In my quiet room playing visual novels.
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
I searched high and low on Baka-Tsuki for that quote, but have yet to find it.

Volume and chapter #'s, plz.

Not that I'm saying you're lying. Oh, no. Not at all.

I've actually been looking for that quote for quite some time now in a very Captian Ahab-like fashion.

Yarr.
it was right after the fight with Asakura in volume one almost at the end of chapter 5, when Taniguchi walked in on Kyon and Yuki and started thinking about things that were not
Tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 22:50   Link #143
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
I searched high and low on Baka-Tsuki for that quote, but have yet to find it.

Volume and chapter #'s, plz.

Not that I'm saying you're lying. Oh, no. Not at all.

I've actually been looking for that quote for quite some time now in a very Captian Ahab-like fashion.

Yarr.
How you can forget the Wawa wasuremono?

Yeah, Taniguchi was a bad exemple. Is not like she ever talk to him, or about him, after that.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 10:56   Link #144
night_sentinel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth
Hello guys,

Since we're talking about Yuki's speech pattern, I would like to propose that Yuki has never had lied.
Refuse to answer? yes.
Use words that needs the encyclopedia for clarifications? yes.
Confuse the hell out of Kyon and the readers? Hell yes.
But, lie? No, haven't happened yet, to my knowledge.

I think this might in a way tie with the way Yuki only calls Kyon the formal you. "Kyon" is after all not really Kyon's true name and Yuki only calls a person by his/her true name. This is further complicated by the novels hinting that Data Integrated Entity only has learned to use the concept of names very recently. They may use #13536 as substitute for names. Thus, Yuki may not have gotten the idea of nicknames. Add, Yuki's straightforward nature and you get a Yuki that will call Kyon not by his nickname as the all the other characters have done, but by his real name. Since, the author wants to remain Kyon's real name a secret, then, this the viable alternative.

Now, back on the topic, of Yuki not lying. I really can't remember any instance when she has ever lied. For example. when Kyon was being given the theory of the organization and the time travelers on Haruhi which vastly conflict with one another and he asked Yuki's opinion. Yuki did not take a side and even stated that her side's viewpoint is a theory too.

Another example is when she commented that the time-travelers way to err time travel cause too much noise or interference. Then later we learn the full name of that device.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 11:34   Link #145
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Hello guys,

Since we're talking about Yuki's speech pattern, I would like to propose that Yuki has never had lied.
Refuse to answer? yes.
Use words that needs the encyclopedia for clarifications? yes.
Confuse the hell out of Kyon and the readers? Hell yes.
But, lie? No, haven't happened yet, to my knowledge.

I think this might in a way tie with the way Yuki only calls Kyon the formal you. "Kyon" is after all not really Kyon's true name and Yuki only calls a person by his/her true name. This is further complicated by the novels hinting that Data Integrated Entity only has learned to use the concept of names very recently. They may use #13536 as substitute for names. Thus, Yuki may not have gotten the idea of nicknames. Add, Yuki's straightforward nature and you get a Yuki that will call Kyon not by his nickname as the all the other characters have done, but by his real name. Since, the author wants to remain Kyon's real name a secret, then, this the viable alternative.

Now, back on the topic, of Yuki not lying. I really can't remember any instance when she has ever lied. For example. when Kyon was being given the theory of the organization and the time travelers on Haruhi which vastly conflict with one another and he asked Yuki's opinion. Yuki did not take a side and even stated that her side's viewpoint is a theory too.

Another example is when she commented that the time-travelers way to err time travel cause too much noise or interference. Then later we learn the full name of that device.
She did say Shamisen talking was ventriloquism.This is a very blatant lie.I don't remember she saying another, tough.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 11:55   Link #146
worldruined
power tends to corrupt
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Now, back on the topic, of Yuki not lying. I really can't remember any instance when she has ever lied.
"Nagato, have you seen Asahina-san's contact lens?"

"I haven't."

Nagato replied without flinching. I had a feeling she's lying.



Not really a "serious" lie, but a lie it is, since she took the contact.

She doesn't usually make a habit of lying, though (as far as we can tell...) and especially not about serious, urgent, or life-threatening matters.
worldruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 19:00   Link #147
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Yuki is like Spock from "Wrath of Khan:" she didn't lie, she exaggerated.
__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 19:04   Link #148
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Yuki only really somewhat 'lies' to Haruhi, if at all really.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 22:48   Link #149
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
For the sake of the mission...or when under orders...from Kyon (more or less).
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 23:01   Link #150
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Except... she's lied to Kyon, as well. Unless you honestly believe she was okay with the whole situation, she lies to him during Endless Eight.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 23:33   Link #151
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Could have also been orders/for the mission. Since we have very little knowledge of what really happened before loop 15,498....it could very well have been an order.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 18:21   Link #152
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Except... she's lied to Kyon, as well. Unless you honestly believe she was okay with the whole situation, she lies to him during Endless Eight.
I don't believe she was okay with repeating everything over and over and over.
She even said (or what I could understand from her) is that she could/would/will lie to Kyon..but that's the only thing I could get from her speech on Sighs about her opinion.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 18:29   Link #153
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
That's what I'm getting at. As much as I like the girl, Nagato's not exactly the paragon of honesty.

Please don't turn me into a newt...
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 22:47   Link #154
OkamiNoKaze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
I still think in sighs, what she's meaning is that what Yuki and the data entity, have only a theory on things as well, that they could be wrong as well.
__________________
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 22:52   Link #155
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I still think in sighs, what she's meaning is that what Yuki and the data entity, have only a theory on things as well, that they could be wrong as well.
I agree with you. That's how I took it as well.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-22, 06:44   Link #156
night_sentinel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth
Sorry about that guys... I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that or perhaps I'm just a bit tiny frustrated on what is actually fact or opinion in the Haruhi-verse that I latched on to Yuki being trustworthy, since if my sources are correct everybody in the SOS dan is currently lying to somebody else well except perhaps Haruhi and Kyon, since its his pov but he proves to be an unreliable narrator at times... sigh...

Mikuru- actively trying to manipulate the time line and in any case she doesn't give much information due to 'classified information'.
Itsuki- actively says that he is wearing a masks and it isn't his true personality.

Oh... well... that's just to open the discussion anyway...

Next topic, do you think Yuki was DITE's first choice for the one who will observe Haruhi? Why or why not?

In my opinion, Yuki was not the first choice of DITE, Ryoko is and Yuki is just to act as a background observer and supervise the situation. Yuki's recruitment in the SOS dan is a complete accident, Haruhi has just the luck to barge into a clubroom that Yuki is currently using. Evidence to this is the fact that Ryoko is in Haruhi's class and is the first to approach her. Evidence 2, would be Ryoko has more social skills than Yuki and would fit better as a normal human being.
Evidence against this would be the fact that DITE does not have a linear comprehension of time and might have known what will happen already.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-22, 07:15   Link #157
freakonboard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Next topic, do you think Yuki was DITE's first choice for the one who will observe Haruhi? Why or why not?

In my opinion, Yuki was not the first choice of DITE, Ryoko is and Yuki is just to act as a background observer and supervise the situation. Yuki's recruitment in the SOS dan is a complete accident, Haruhi has just the luck to barge into a clubroom that Yuki is currently using. Evidence to this is the fact that Ryoko is in Haruhi's class and is the first to approach her. Evidence 2, would be Ryoko has more social skills than Yuki and would fit better as a normal human being.
Evidence against this would be the fact that DITE does not have a linear comprehension of time and might have known what will happen already.
At least Yuki already knew what would happen since 3 years before the series takes place.
Yes, I mean Yuki's synchronizing in BLR.
freakonboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-22, 11:19   Link #158
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
While I've argued in favor of your point before, night_sentinel, I do know of the flaws. First and foremost, as freakonboard pointed out, Nagato already knew that she'd end up with Haruhi, and I doubt 3YA Nagato would keep that bit of information to herself. Second, Asakura more or less backed off as soon as Kyon started his daily talks with Haruhi.

Judging from this, it can be implied that Asakura's purpose was simply to keep Haruhi occupied until Kyon finally started the chain of events that'd lead to Haruhi taking over the lit. club's room.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-22, 15:35   Link #159
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Next topic, do you think Yuki was DITE's first choice for the one who will observe Haruhi? Why or why not?
Yes. Haruhi is the "potential for auto-evolution." The DITE knows that she seeks weirdness and will probably inadvertently gather together that which she subconsciously desires the most. The DITE, therefore, created a situation which would foster this by making sure there'd be a free clubroom at North High that just happened to be run by a single, extremely eccentric individual.

Quote:
In my opinion, Yuki was not the first choice of DITE, Ryoko is and Yuki is just to act as a background observer and supervise the situation. Yuki's recruitment in the SOS dan is a complete accident, Haruhi has just the luck to barge into a clubroom that Yuki is currently using. Evidence to this is the fact that Ryoko is in Haruhi's class and is the first to approach her. Evidence 2, would be Ryoko has more social skills than Yuki and would fit better as a normal human being.
Evidence against this would be the fact that DITE does not have a linear comprehension of time and might have known what will happen already.
Haruhi seeks out weird things. The DITE would likely have known this. Ryoko Asakura (unnaturally blue hair not withstanding) is (outwardly) pretty much the definition of "normal high school girl." Ryoko Asakura's purpose, then, is simply to keep an eye on Haruhi during 'normal' situations; while leaving Yuki to do the dangerous work.
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-22, 16:31   Link #160
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Well, she ended up screwing up and being sent away.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.