AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2009-09-18, 10:22   Link #1
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Doom 4

id Software anounced past April 10 that Doom 4 is in "deep in development." He stated however that the game is not in pre-production. The development team is "relatively new" and id is still actually hiring people onto the Doom 4 team.

Nothing more yet, no images, graphic motor or plataforms neither a date of release (the logo ahead is actually fake), only a little coment about the story:

"It's not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either" said Todd Hollenshead, CO-owner of id Software.

IN any case, I think these are good news, 'cause I actually loved all the Doom games (and the last Doom 3 was awesome).
Old 2009-09-19, 07:31   Link #2
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post

id Software anounced past April 10 that Doom 4 is in "deep in development." He stated however that the game is not in pre-production. The development team is "relatively new" and id is still actually hiring people onto the Doom 4 team.

Nothing more yet, no images, graphic motor or plataforms neither a date of release (the logo ahead is actually fake), only a little coment about the story:

"It's not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either" said Todd Hollenshead, CO-owner of id Software.

IN any case, I think these are good news, 'cause I actually loved all the Doom games (and the last Doom 3 was awesome).
Actually I thought Doom was boring without the element of stealth involved (but not pathetic to the extent of Riddick, that game totally sucks). I played Doom 1 & 2 long time ago, and I can remember vomiting after 1-2 hours of gameplay.

I am not a trigger happy person, but what Doom really needs is the old guys coming back into the team. All we can hope is that Hollen doesn't hire another group of idiots who make boring boss fights like the Cyberdemon (pour lead / throw something). RoE's bossfights, especially the final boss has one of the most interesting bossfights IMO.

And yes, id needs to refurbish their marketing department. Damaged copies of the game never made it back into the hands of the buyers when sent for exchange.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 00:14   Link #3
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Well, yeah, the 4 bosses from Doom 3 were all relative esay to kill cause they had a relative easy patron to follow in order to beat them. (My record with Hell Guardian is 45 sec. ) Though and more complex bosses are needed indeed.

Although I think Doom 3 offered a very good survival that lead you to a deep exploring and suden scares which I found really good. Doom 1 and 2 were mostly all about shooting against anything who stood in you way but I must confess enjoyed them playing them.

I would personally like to see more exploration and riddles whioch I find a good adition for survival horror game, being FPS or not.
Old 2009-09-20, 00:22   Link #4
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Well, yeah, the 4 bosses from Doom 3 were all relative esay to kill cause they had a relative easy patron to follow in order to beat them. (My record with Hell Guardian is 45 sec. ) Though and more complex bosses are needed indeed.

Although I think Doom 3 offered a very good survival that lead you to a deep exploring and suden scares which I found really good. Doom 1 and 2 were mostly all about shooting against anything who stood in you way but I must confess enjoyed them playing them.

I would personally like to see more exploration and riddles whioch I find a good adition for survival horror game, being FPS or not.
You know what would be a good addition to the game? Nightvision goggles. Increases the scare factor.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-09-20, 01:04   Link #5
james0246

Doom 4? Does the world really need a new Doom title? Whatever the answer, I am intrigued. Originally, I assumed that Doom 4, whenever it would be made, would simply be a Doom 2 reboot (much the same as Doom 3 was a Doom 1 reboot), but if this isn't a true sequel to Doom 3, but something new and different, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

btw, how could someone not like Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher’s Bay (not the weird updated version)? True, it was mostly a Thief rip-off, but there were some great elements to the game. ...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 01:24   Link #6
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Doom 3 wasn't exactly a reboot from Doom 1, both stories are diferent.

Perhaps in Doom 4 we'll see someone else point of view from the events of Doom 3.

And who know? Maybe the boss this time will be Spider Mastermind, I think he would look interesting on new generation graphics.

@SaintessHeart: Nightvison googles? Hmmm... I dunno, the scariest thing on Doom 3 was to not know what was hiding in the shadows. >:3
Old 2009-09-20, 03:02   Link #7
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈΈ is the Best !!

Send a message via MSN to The Chaos
Doom is my favorite game Although I didn't play Doom 3 yet but love the first two

can't wait to play the new one ^_^
Old 2009-09-20, 03:32   Link #8
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Doom 3 got old after a couple of hours. The only thing that kept me interested was finding PDAs and listening to the voice logs.

I'll never forget the mail about the shipment of chainsaws arriving instead of jackhammers. And the naive tech's rant, "chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!"

I'd be more interested in another Quake. Man Quake 4 was how you go back to the basics of a good shooter. And the Stroggification process.... Scary.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 03:45   Link #9
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
@SaintessHeart: Nightvison googles? Hmmm... I dunno, the scariest thing on Doom 3 was to not know what was hiding in the shadows. >:3
I take note of dark corners when I traverse into rooms. When I hear a noise, I fire a round or two at that place.

The limited view is great when something just appears at the corner of your view. If you ever get to wear an NV monocle or view through a scope and something just comes along and "BOO!", it would make you squeeze the trigger, whether the safety is on or off.

They could follow FEAR's way of inducing trauma, most of the ambient sounds are made from stuff like dragging metal across the floor, dropping trays, etc.

Old 2009-09-20, 03:54   Link #10
Sub-zero 4ever

WTF!
Oh GOD I'M CRYING !!

edit:
the last time i was forced to buy a new pc to play a game was when Doom3 came out. Looks like I need a new one now

Last edited by Sub-zero 4ever; 2009-09-20 at 04:45.
Sub-zero 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 05:33   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
as long as they learn from their mistakes of doom III they can make a decent game...
seriously when I was playing I first thought it was fun but after 3 levels I could predict nearly every location a monster would spawn... was like "ooh around this corner... and now behind me..." *fire lashing&roar* *shoots* "uugh gtfo.." -_-
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 05:51   Link #12
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow Doom. Been a while since I thought about that. Of course I only really played Doom II so can't say anything that objective about the series. Might be interesting anyways.
Old 2009-09-20, 06:56   Link #13
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
as long as they learn from their mistakes of doom III they can make a decent game...
seriously when I was playing I first thought it was fun but after 3 levels I could predict nearly every location a monster would spawn... was like "ooh around this corner... and now behind me..." *fire lashing&roar* *shoots* "uugh gtfo.." -_-
Sounds like you are a person who loves the double-barreled shotgun.

Old 2009-09-20, 07:08   Link #14
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Sounds like you are a person who loves the double-barreled shotgun.
true indeed
could also be that I played Doom II way too long
I remember a lvl in which you have an outside area where you have the end lvl complex and set fo stairs going to a key, both apart from another. In the end lvl compound you could close yourself off, it opened with a switch and was 1 floor higher. If you grabbed the key monsters would teleport in the area, about 50 or more was really insane. So you just grabbed the key and hid in the end lvl compound so they would all gather around it, open the door so they would fire and hide. Monsters would hit each others and would start killing each other off while you wait and listen lol.
Then in another compound you'd have one of them hellfire ones that could respawn dead creatures, get him to follow you. Run, hide and wait till he respawned them all again and repeat.
And this while listening to Destiny's Child, aah hello childhood. Played this lvl for months just for the fun of it
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 09:23   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
true indeed
could also be that I played Doom II way too long
I remember a lvl in which you have an outside area where you have the end lvl complex and set fo stairs going to a key, both apart from another. In the end lvl compound you could close yourself off, it opened with a switch and was 1 floor higher. If you grabbed the key monsters would teleport in the area, about 50 or more was really insane. So you just grabbed the key and hid in the end lvl compound so they would all gather around it, open the door so they would fire and hide. Monsters would hit each others and would start killing each other off while you wait and listen lol.
Then in another compound you'd have one of them hellfire ones that could respawn dead creatures, get him to follow you. Run, hide and wait till he respawned them all again and repeat.
And this while listening to Destiny's Child, aah hello childhood. Played this lvl for months just for the fun of it
I love the double barrel too! It is just about the most gay-ass weapon you can get your hands on in Doom. Run right up to the vulgar before he flashes his eye on the TV screen and unloading a round into his head is the fastest way to kill it. Besides, it takes only 10-15 shells to beat the second boss in RoE.

The plasma rifle is the most innovative weapon. In the original Doom, it screws up the entire screen, but in Doom 3, its main use is for bopping commandos with tentacles. I wish there is an upgrade to turn it into the hyperblaster of Quake 4.

Anyway, I hope there is a fair share of bugs. The most memorable one in Doom 3 being that after coming out of hell, there is a tentacle commando waiting down the hallway you are coming down from. When you run away after a certain distance, he doesn't follow you. I usually go barehanded on him, running away, then going back for a set of one-twos until he falls over. It is a pity there is no "defeating a commando with barehands"achievement for this.

Old 2009-09-20, 13:34   Link #16
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Monster's named Arch-vile. Though enemy both in Doom 2 and Doom 3. O3O

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I love the double barrel too! It is just about the most gay-ass weapon you can get your hands on in Doom. Run right up to the vulgar before he flashes his eye on the TV screen and unloading a round into his head is the fastest way to kill it. Besides, it takes only 10-15 shells to beat the second boss in RoE.
The double barrel shotgun was probably one of the ebst weapopns in Doom 2 and in the expansion edition of Doom 3. Indeed. Hope top see it back along with the chainsawn, perhaps they'll rip off Gears of War's gory deads with it. lol

Oh yea, another new, it seems that id Software is looking forward to make a new Doom movie as well. >_>;

EDIT: Couldn't resist to post this vid. XP

Old 2009-09-20, 13:49   Link #17
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Doom 3 didn't really interest me and I don't think this one will.

The original Doom (and Quake) were successful because of technology, and rightly so. Playing Quake for the first time was a great experience. But that's not really enough to hold interest (for me, anyways) these days. Once Half-Life came out, for example, playing Doom and Quake became utterly boring, because the technology shine wore off. Did Doom 3 have anything that other shooters didn't do better? Not really. I don't know if I'd expect this one to be better.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 11:58   Link #18
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Doom 3 didn't really interest me and I don't think this one will.

The original Doom (and Quake) were successful because of technology, and rightly so. Playing Quake for the first time was a great experience. But that's not really enough to hold interest (for me, anyways) these days. Once Half-Life came out, for example, playing Doom and Quake became utterly boring, because the technology shine wore off. Did Doom 3 have anything that other shooters didn't do better? Not really. I don't know if I'd expect this one to be better.
Sounds like you didn't grow up with the PC. Doom and Wolf3D are the old-school titles of FPS, much like how Dune is for RTS. They are, technically speaking, the ones that spawn non-mario type games. Doom gained notoriety for "indirectly instigating" the Columbine shootout (believe me, the kids are already like that before they played the game. It is just the irresponsible parents looking for something to scapegoat), and I remember how workplaces and universities are clamping down due to workers and students installing Doom and playing DM, eating up precious server bandwidth (they run by BPS at that time).

Doom could be said to be a legend that sets it apart from the other FPS. Indirectly, it is the Grand-daddy of FPS multiplayer.

Old 2009-09-22, 14:19   Link #19
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

The firs FPS was Castle Wolfenstei who's also from id Software and looked exactly the same as Doom in game mechanic. (even the game screen was almost the same with the head of the character that looked damaged when the player recived several damage)

So, SaintessHeart is mostly telling the truth.