AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana Second Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 38 15.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 22.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 19.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 53 22.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 29 12.13%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 2.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 2.93%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.67%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-21, 07:18   Link #61
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
As I've noted lately with my review posts of Haruhi and Nanoha, I feel that sometimes issues present in the original work tend to get magnified a bit more in later sequels. But usually the original incarnation had enough going for it, and usually focused in another area so people could ignore it.

Shana, IMO, has always fallen flat when it comes to romance. This was true of season 1 too. The triangle has never had any depth or interest from the moment it was implied; it just felt tacked on. Yes, the whining and moping in the first half of season 2 was bad, but it was merely a continuation of the same junk that was happening in the last part of season 1 (My watching of season 1 grinded to a halt near the end). But at least season 1 provided some kind of definite progress at the end, but they just ignored it in season 2, and thus that is Shana II's greatest sin-- taking a focus on something the series sucks at and undoing much of the character development that had taken place. It's no coincidence that the show is best when it is not involved in this. But you are right about one thing definitely. The repetition and reused lines is absolutely irritating.

The strong part of the series has always been about Yuji trying to regain his sense of self worth and place in life, and how this struggle affects Shana as well, causing them both to grow. This all has an effect on the people surrounding them, and everyone changes. Was it in this season? I think so, to some degree, when Yuji finally puts some effort into making himself beyond some cheerleader. Shana doesn't really seem to have changed much, but she does seem more confident and acts more mature as well, dropping some of her more childish tendencies of "shut uo shut up shut up" and being extremely hot tempered. If Shana II did anything right, it was probably with the side characters.

All and all, I really don't think the two seasons are that far apart in quality. They both share the same strengths and weaknesses, but the second had way more of the weakness. I will admit that this season ends up being shallower as plot wise, there wasn't really much to write home about in the end.

In the end, I simply have come to expect nothing when it comes to romance when it comes to Shana, and hopefully unless severe effort is taken, future incarnations of this series should downplay the romance parts. Even if that goes nowhere, at least focusing on the action elements and internal struggle will make it more enjoyable. Despite my initial negative reaction, there are still parts I come back to rewatch. Better fights, better music so it wasn't a failure for me.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-09-21 at 08:17.
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2009-09-22, 09:09   Link #62
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, with one key exception (which I'll get to later), I actually very much like the way that romance is handled in Shakugan no Shana. The Yuji/Shana romance has actually become my favorite anime romance.

Shana is the perfect tsundere character. She practically defines this character type, in my opinion.

In my view, Shakugan no Shana Season 1 had a refreshingly genuinely competitive love triangle (Kazumi/Yuji/Shana) which I honestly could have seen going either way, but which I now tend to view Shana as the winner of. I liked this love conflict more than most in anime because...

1) As others have mentioned, Kazumi and Shana are friendly sane rivals instead of insane competitors (as you tend to see in harem-esque love conflicts).

2) It didn't, for me, highlight weaknesses in the favored pairing. Often in anime, I find that the strengths of an alternate pairing tend to showcase the glaring weaknesses in the favored and most likely to be canon pairing. With this anime, I found that both Yuji/Kazumi and Yuji/Shana would fit comfortably with me. I could gladly buy into either one, and the strength of one didn't make the other one look worse by comparison, imo. Both simply felt like good fits to me, each in their own way.


I also felt that the Yuji/Shana romance development returned back to the classic approach to tsundere characters; an approach I much prefer to the modern day approach that has rendered the term 'tsundere' virtually meaningless by overuse and a very broad definition. Classically, tsunderes used to be characters that would start out very 'tsuntsun'; either as an ice queen or as a fiery quick tempered girl, and over time the charms and strengths of the male protagonist would melt through the ice or soothe the flames, and the tsundere would become 'deredere'. This, for me, makes for nice character development interwoven with romantic development; the two happen in a synergistic fashion, which I think reflects the reality that people often grow as individuals while the romances they are in grow as well - each growth being a cause and an effect of the other growth.

This, for me, is how the Yuji/Shana romance flowed in Season 1, as Yuji's gentlemanly approach, largely admirable character, and caring for Shana eventually lead the 'tsuntsun' Shana to become more 'deredere' ultimately resulting in Shana's confession of "I love you, Yuji" to Yuji in the last episode of Season 1. In Season 1, Shana grew a great deal as an individual due to Yuji's influence on her.


Now, this is where I get to the one key exception I mentioned before. Undoing all of that Season 1 development with the facepalm excuse of having Yuji not hearing Shana's confession, and Shana not having the guts to restate it... that was awful for me. It cheapened and undid all that great Season 1 development. Making the love triangle into a love quadrilateral with the introduction of Konoe only served to exacerbate matters. Yes, the Yuji/Shana romance went a bit off the rails during the 1st half of Shakugan no Shana Season II.

However, after Konoe was removed from the equation, the romance began to get back on track. And, personally, I found the Yuji/Shana romance bits in the final arc to be quite touching. I really liked how Shana was racing wildly off to save Yuji, and how she dramatically leaped at him when she finally found him. Then she lay snuggly on top of him, refusing to let him go for a second, as she desperately didn't want him to fade away. A very touching scene that perfectly shows how a tsundere should display her 'deredere' side, imo. It very much reflects my view of Shana as a Warrior Princess of sorts.

One other thing I liked about the romance aspect in Season II is how it was Yuji that grew because of it, this time. Simply put, in the second half of this season, Yuji became a man, and Shana played a big role in that; both in how she trained him, and also in how Yuji wanted to protect her and prove to her that he could make meaningful contributions to the struggle with the tomogara as well.


Overall, I think that the Yuji/Shana romance is getting a very bad rap on this thread. I think it's been handled wonderfully, with the one awful exception I mentioned above. And one thing I liked about it is how, in both seasons, you actually do get the romance pretty much established by the end. Of course, JC Staff could very well pull another annoying retcon of sorts on us, but hopefully they won't this time...
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-09-22 at 12:34.
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2009-09-22, 10:40   Link #63
Akka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Overall, I think that the Yuji/Shana romance is getting a very bad rap on this thread. I think it's been handled wonderfully
We probably haven't seen the same serie, then.
Because the romance in the first part of the season 2 is probably one of the worst I ever seen. Seriously.

It butchers the characters (especially Yuji and Shana, who got not only reversal of roles that are very OOC, but also ends up looking incredibly stupid - Yuji much, much more so than Shana though), it creates a totally ridiculous situation and it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

I somehow agree with your description of the S1, but the S2 just tramples and demolishes it.
Akka is offline  
Old 2009-09-22, 12:05   Link #64
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
We probably haven't seen the same serie, then.
Because the romance in the first part of the season 2 is probably one of the worst I ever seen. Seriously.

It butchers the characters (especially Yuji and Shana, who got not only reversal of roles that are very OOC, but also ends up looking incredibly stupid - Yuji much, much more so than Shana though), it creates a totally ridiculous situation and it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

I somehow agree with your description of the S1, but the S2 just tramples and demolishes it.
Well... I agree with you on the first part/first half of S2. Like I wrote, Yuji not hearing Shana's confession, and Shana not quickly restating it after she found that out... epic fail, imo. Easily the worst decision JC Staff has made with this franchise, imo.

And it's only at the very end of S2 that the Yuji/Shana romance fully gets back on track. Of course, if you disliked the final episode conflict itself (whereas I mostly liked it) then you might not have been as moved by the romance aspects either. Basically, you had to really feel like Yuji and Shana were seriously on the ropes here in order for their softer moments to come across well.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2009-09-22, 13:09   Link #65
Akka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well... I agree with you on the first part/first half of S2. Like I wrote, Yuji not hearing Shana's confession, and Shana not quickly restating it after she found that out... epic fail, imo. Easily the worst decision JC Staff has made with this franchise, imo.
The start is bad enough, but the real horror comes with how ridiculous the situation during the whole Konoe arc is. Yuji carries the idiot ball and is utterly passive and oblivious to everything and everyone to a point it starts to be either comical, either painful.
This destroyed the character and make the love triangle - and its participants - look stupid.
Quote:
And it's only at the very end of S2 that the Yuji/Shana romance fully gets back on track. Of course, if you disliked the final episode conflict itself (whereas I mostly liked it) then you might not have been as moved by the romance aspects either. Basically, you had to really feel like Yuji and Shana were seriously on the ropes here in order for their softer moments to come across well.
The problem is, the romance has been so badly handled, so dragged on, and so predictably derailed each time it was about to advance, that in the end you don't really care about - not just because the characters are mere shadows of their former selves after the disastrous script at the beginning and have lost most of their appeal, but also because the stalling of the situation has become so systematic, that you expect that regardless of how the situation might make you think they will FINALLY make a step forward, something will happens that will either stop it right on its track, ret-con it into "nothing happened", or there will be in the end no consequences - in other words, it will always return to the statu quo.
Akka is offline  
Old 2009-09-23, 03:52   Link #66
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

In my view, Shakugan no Shana Season 1 had a refreshingly genuinely competitive love triangle (Kazumi/Yuji/Shana) which I honestly could have seen going either way, but which I now tend to view Shana as the winner of.
I can't really agree here. To me, Kazumi never really stood a chance and seemed to be more of an interference. The problem with her was that they never bothered to give her any depth. The only thing of interest from her was that she was a normal person that felt out of place when she became aware of the supernatural events that were occuring. But they didn't really touch on that besides the looking glass. They made her regurgitate the same lines over and over again for the most part.

That being said, I don't even hate the character. In fact, I feel sorry for her because I want them to do more with her to make this part of the triangle more relevant and convincing. They really did get somewhere when she blurted it out, and thus proving she was more certain about things than the other two, but I was disappointed that the impact fizzled.

A character that is a satellite of the another character cannot survive on that alone if you want them to be relevant to the story. Surely, this is not a problem unique to the show. A lot of them have this problem (Hi, Key, I love your works but...) and Shana is far from being the worst, but it sure is annoying.

Quote:
I liked this love conflict more than most in anime because...

1) As others have mentioned, Kazumi and Shana are friendly sane rivals instead of insane competitors (as you tend to see in harem-esque love conflicts).
That, I could see. It's nice to see that rivals don't always have to be enemies.
Quote:
I also felt that the Yuji/Shana romance development returned back to the classic approach to tsundere characters; an approach I much prefer to the modern day approach that has rendered the term 'tsundere' virtually meaningless by overuse and a very broad definition. Classically, tsunderes used to be characters that would start out very 'tsuntsun'; either as an ice queen or as a fiery quick tempered girl, and over time the charms and strengths of the male protagonist would melt through the ice or soothe the flames, and the tsundere would become 'deredere'. This, for me, makes for nice character development interwoven with romantic development; the two happen in a synergistic fashion, which I think reflects the reality that people often grow as individuals while the romances they are in grow as well - each growth being a cause and an effect of the other growth.
Being someone that absolutely hates tsundere characters, as I often find tsundere characters reverting (and negating character development) to maintain the gimmick, Shana's the undisputed tsundere queen. She is the best tsundere character I've ever seen, without peer. Often times, you'll have a tsundere character act nice for a little and immediately turn mean again at the end of an episode to get some cheap laughs. The tsun side is always emphasized because it is more funny. A good example of this is Akane from Ranma.

However, Shana doesn't do this. She eventually matures out of this and acts less bad-tempered and bitchy. By season 2, her outbursts are minimal and actually more meaningful if she reverts. In other words, Shana is the only character I can think of that is labeled tsundere and exhibits this great development that you just described. The difference between Shana and Shana II's personalities is so different that I consider it one of Shana II's highlights.

Quote:
This, for me, is how the Yuji/Shana romance flowed in Season 1, as Yuji's gentlemanly approach, largely admirable character, and caring for Shana eventually lead the 'tsuntsun' Shana to become more 'deredere' ultimately resulting in Shana's confession of "I love you, Yuji" to Yuji in the last episode of Season 1. In Season 1, Shana grew a great deal as an individual due to Yuji's influence on her.
Hmm, I saw this in everything that didn't involve romance. They did grow emotionally, however, when it cames to matters of romance they always got dumb again. The key exception is the famous example you just noted in epsiode 24 of season 1. Of all honesty, I can see their relationship being really strong, but once romance comes in...

There is no doubt that Yuji's own search for identity had a profound effect on Shana. But we get kinda muddled here.

Quote:
However, after Konoe was removed from the equation, the romance began to get back on track. And, personally, I found the Yuji/Shana romance bits in the final arc to be quite touching. I really liked how Shana was racing wildly off to save Yuji, and how she dramatically leaped at him when she finally found him. Then she lay snuggly on top of him, refusing to let him go for a second, as she desperately didn't want him to fade away. A very touching scene that perfectly shows how a tsundere should display her 'deredere' side, imo. It very much reflects my view of Shana as a Warrior Princess of sorts.
That definitely is one of the high points of the series.

Quote:
One other thing I liked about the romance aspect in Season II is how it was Yuji that grew because of it, this time. Simply put, in the second half of this season, Yuji became a man, and Shana played a big role in that; both in how she trained him, and also in how Yuji wanted to protect her and prove to her that he could make meaningful contributions to the struggle with the tomogara as well.
Yuji snapping that poor goon's neck and during the fight with Sabrac grew and became a much more confident person. However, there seemed to be some degeneration right after it, to the point where I was like "Did you just forget everything??"

Quote:
And it's only at the very end of S2 that the Yuji/Shana romance fully gets back on track. Of course, if you disliked the final episode conflict itself (whereas I mostly liked it) then you might not have been as moved by the romance aspects either. Basically, you had to really feel like Yuji and Shana were seriously on the ropes here in order for their softer moments to come across well.
In addition to the above, I just felt like the last part was a step backwards. As I said in my review post, I would have easily given the series an 8 or a 9 if they wrapped it up after Sabrac. It felt so tacked on that I felt absolutely no tension. Did they really have to have Sabrac survive? And the Bal Masque, despite being powerful, just don't have much charisma as villains. Only Hecate is of any interest.

Quote:
Overall, I think that the Yuji/Shana romance is getting a very bad rap on this thread. I think it's been handled wonderfully, with the one awful exception I mentioned above. And one thing I liked about it is how, in both seasons, you actually do get the romance pretty much established by the end. Of course, JC Staff could very well pull another annoying retcon of sorts on us, but hopefully they won't this time...
The foundation is there, because both seasons have done a spectacular job in making Yuji and Shana very interesting and likable characters. Except in the area of romance. I feel that there's a general unwillingness to move past the status quo, but that's natural in any long running series. If they (writers, as well as Yuji and Shana) want to take the risks involved, we might see something interesting. Currently I see them both as very likable characters and would like to see something happening, but I don't see anything happening.

But in any case, romance isn't really mandatory anyways. I enjoyed both seasons without dwelling too far into it. Certainly Shana has many other interesting themes to think about and even if I think poorly of the way romance is handled, it is unfair to dwell on it too.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-09-23 at 04:13.
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2009-09-23, 06:29   Link #67
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I can't really agree here. To me, Kazumi never really stood a chance and seemed to be more of an interference. The problem with her was that they never bothered to give her any depth. The only thing of interest from her was that she was a normal person that felt out of place when she became aware of the supernatural events that were occuring. But they didn't really touch on that besides the looking glass. They made her regurgitate the same lines over and over again for the most part.

That being said, I don't even hate the character. In fact, I feel sorry for her because I want them to do more with her to make this part of the triangle more relevant and convincing. They really did get somewhere when she blurted it out, and thus proving she was more certain about things than the other two, but I was disappointed that the impact fizzled.

A character that is a satellite of the another character cannot survive on that alone if you want them to be relevant to the story. Surely, this is not a problem unique to the show. A lot of them have this problem (Hi, Key, I love your works but...) and Shana is far from being the worst, but it sure is annoying.
Well... I feel that the love triangle was genuinely competitive in Season 1, but it's pretty obvious that Kazumi is out of the running after the events of Season 2, barring an awful retcon of course. I will say that Kazumi did become a bit of a... periphery character, I'll say... during Season 2. Perhaps they should incorporate a bit of the personality of Shana-tan's Kazumi into canon Kazumi in order to make her a bit more interesting.


Quote:
Being someone that absolutely hates tsundere characters, as I often find tsundere characters reverting (and negating character development) to maintain the gimmick, Shana's the undisputed tsundere queen. She is the best tsundere character I've ever seen, without peer. Often times, you'll have a tsundere character act nice for a little and immediately turn mean again at the end of an episode to get some cheap laughs. The tsun side is always emphasized because it is more funny. A good example of this is Akane from Ranma.

However, Shana doesn't do this. She eventually matures out of this and acts less bad-tempered and bitchy. By season 2, her outbursts are minimal and actually more meaningful if she reverts. In other words, Shana is the only character I can think of that is labeled tsundere and exhibits this great development that you just described. The difference between Shana and Shana II's personalities is so different that I consider it one of Shana II's highlights.
I totally agree with all of the above. Like you said, Shana is the undisputed tsundere queen. She is the character type at its best.


Quote:
In addition to the above, I just felt like the last part was a step backwards. As I said in my review post, I would have easily given the series an 8 or a 9 if they wrapped it up after Sabrac. It felt so tacked on that I felt absolutely no tension. Did they really have to have Sabrac survive? And the Bal Masque, despite being powerful, just don't have much charisma as villains. Only Hecate is of any interest.
Hecate is my favorite Bal Masque character, I do agree with you there. And like yourself, I thought it was a bit cheap to have that huge, explosive Shana/Sabrac fight only to have Sabrac somehow get away alive at the end.

I do hope that Shana Season 3 either gives us brand new villains of note, or preferably...

Spoiler for Novel spoilers:



Quote:

The foundation is there, because both seasons have done a spectacular job in making Yuji and Shana very interesting and likable characters. Except in the area of romance. I feel that there's a general unwillingness to move past the status quo, but that's natural in any long running series. If they (writers, as well as Yuji and Shana) want to take the risks involved, we might see something interesting. Currently I see them both as very likable characters and would like to see something happening, but I don't see anything happening.

But in any case, romance isn't really mandatory anyways. I enjoyed both seasons without dwelling too far into it. Certainly Shana has many other interesting themes to think about and even if I think poorly of the way romance is handled, it is unfair to dwell on it too.
It's funny... you see Yuji/Shana the way I see Kyon/Haruhi over in Haruhi's anime. Basically, where I see strongly implied romance with Yuji/Shana through much of their time together, you see strong friendship bonds and camaraderie and little else. It would be very hypocritical for me to fault you for that since I find the same thing with Kyon/Haruhi... where most Haruhi fans (here on Anime Suki anyway) see strongly implied romance, I just see strong friendship bonds and camaraderie and little else.

For me, I guess, the key line between romance and friendship is the line "I love you" explicitly stated (usually; even that line can be said in a platonic way, of course, but if it is platonic, it'll typically be made clear that it is). Since Shana has said that line to Yuji, I feel comfortable to view their relationship as a strongly implied romantic one. Although, in fairness, Yuji can be blind to his own feelings towards Shana at times.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2009-09-23, 07:11   Link #68
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well... I feel that the love triangle was genuinely competitive in Season 1, but it's pretty obvious that Kazumi is out of the running after the events of Season 2, barring an awful retcon of course. I will say that Kazumi did become a bit of a... periphery character, I'll say... during Season 2. Perhaps they should incorporate a bit of the personality of Shana-tan's Kazumi into canon Kazumi in order to make her a bit more interesting.
Well, Shana-Tan never fails to please.

Quote:
It's funny... you see Yuji/Shana the way I see Kyon/Haruhi over in Haruhi's anime. Basically, where I see strongly implied romance with Yuji/Shana through much of their time together, you see strong friendship bonds and camaraderie and little else. It would be very hypocritical for me to fault you for that since I find the same thing with Kyon/Haruhi... where most Haruhi fans (here on Anime Suki anyway) see strongly implied romance, I just see strong friendship bonds and camaraderie and little else.
There's definitely more than friendship here. It's just that the nature of the relationship gets muddled when it comes to any discussion of romance and ends being silly. The worst part is nothing seems to stick and we are perpetually stuck in a "will they or will they not" that Akka and I seem to loathe a lot.

The way I see it, it seems Shana loves Yuji more than vice versa. From her thoughts, Shana definitely feels that way towards Yuji. But what about Yuji? He's nowhere near as certain and sure he cares about Shana and views her in a positive light, but he's constantly split between Kazumi and Shana. And as we already know, he approaches it in a manner too stupid for him. He is not an idiot, except when it comes to this matter.

It's not entirely unjustified. After all, neither is that comfortable about issues like this and sometimes just because they could doesn't mean they should, even if there is attraction. It's not that I don't believe a Yuji/Shana relationship is possible; it's more likely than otherwise but It'll take a few more hurdles for this to become anything.

Speaking of Haruhi, she does look like Shana sometimes, especially when Haruhi has the long hair.

Quote:
For me, I guess, the key line between romance and friendship is the line "I love you" explicitly stated (usually; even that line can be said in a platonic way, of course, but if it is platonic, it'll typically be made clear that it is). Since Shana has said that line to Yuji, I feel comfortable to view their relationship as a strongly implied romantic one. Although, in fairness, Yuji can be blind to his own feelings towards Shana at times.
And of course the strongest piece is here; unforunately it was undone. But at least he didn't say he didn't understand.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2009-09-23, 08:19   Link #69
Akka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Although, in fairness, Yuji can be is blind to his own everyone's feelings towards Shana at all the times.
Fix'd to better render the truth
Akka is offline  
Old 2009-09-23, 09:32   Link #70
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Well... I feel that the love triangle was genuinely competitive in Season 1
Yeah, the first season treated Yoshida a lot more kindly. I always thought she actually pulled ahead of Shana for a time during that bit where she and Yuuji cried together. The second season, though... if there was a drinking game for every time Yoshida felt insignificant to Yuuji in comparison with Shana, the person would pass out after about three episodes. It was pretty rough.

Oh well, at least Yoshida can hook up with Ik - wait, never mind. Ike's pretty much sucked since episode seven of Shana II.

Quote:
Well... I agree with you on the first part/first half of S2. Like I wrote, Yuji not hearing Shana's confession, and Shana not quickly restating it after she found that out... epic fail, imo.
Huh, that's a new one. I've heard people criticize J C Staff's decision to have Yuuji not hear the confession, but I've never heard much blame aimed towards Shana. I'm okay with Shana changing the subject; the mood wasn't there like it was during the first season's closing episode, and... well, confessions are pretty damn mortifying. There was a girl I liked online a couple of years ago. About six months after I started liking her as more than a friend, I decided to send her a message telling her that. The PM took only a few minutes to write up. Working up the nerve to send it? Over an hour.

I don't have many complaints with the Shana/Yuuji relationship. If I'd watched the second series as it aired, then yeah, I would have been expecting the worst after the premiere. "Character and story development is lame, so we're going to have the protagonists keep on running in circles even after those attitudes and behavioral patterns stop making sense. *main heroine makes out with main hero for twenty mintes* BAKA INU! I'M AN ARISTOCRAT!" In the end, though, I think Shana II actually did progress things a lot. As Archon pointed out, Shana developed a lot and maintains that development (Shana's protective streak was one of the best things to come from the second season - "If you touch him I'll kill you", "I won't ever let you get that close again", etc). Shana and Yoshida developed such a close relationship and turned their rivalry down from 'heated' to 'perfectly friendly and sportsmanlike' so quickly that it was almost unrealistic, but hey, that's still the opposite of being slow to develop. Besides, it's not as though the reset was done just for the hell of it - it allowed for the relationship with Shana and Yoshida to get a large amount of development, becoming best friends in the middle of competing for Yuuji, and I honestly think ending things with the first season would have been premature. The romantic angle could have used some more exploration before the relationship became cemented. Hell, Yoshida and Shana were almost strangers at the end of the first season/beginning of the second, a love triangle can't be especially developed if two of its points have barely spoken.

Yeah. Normally, something like the reset in the first episode would be irritating, but since the Shana anime doesn't seem afraid of changing around the status quo (Which is the larger problem that the reset would represent), it strikes me less as "Typical anime bullshit" and more as "We're still pretty early in the series, no need to end the fun right now." I'll be less magnanimous if there's a reset in the third season as well, but there's not much we can do now except wait and see.
Dr. Casey is offline  
Old 2009-09-23, 19:21   Link #71
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Heck, these things are coming up because the whole story was sliced into many parts. IMHO the reactions on the story will be slightly different (if not drastically) if all of the events were fused like how it should be... like the light novels itself. I hope I hear a reaction on "What if the story of Shana was created into a 72-episode series instead of the 3 times 24-episode series we've faced right now?"
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Autumn 2014: Log Horizon S2, Amagi Brilliant Park and Fate/Stay Night (2014).


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 40!! Completed: 210. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is online now  
Old 2009-11-15, 13:52   Link #72
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Strange second season. I felt it was carried by the support characters. For me it could have been called the Margery Daw show. Margery just works great with Keisaku and Eita (and Ogata). Much more fun to watch then the main love triangle. Wilhemina and Yuuji's mother are also positive notes this season worth mentioning.

As for the main cast: Yuuji was lobotomised and became so dense he constantly ran the risk of opening a black hole. I miss the season 1 Yuuji. The love triangle ruined the chemistry between Yuuji and Shana. They really don't need a third and fourth wheel to create silly situations. In their normal boke and tuskomi mode they are both perfectly capable of making each others life more complicated. Yoshida is a great character but totally wasted in a direct competition with Shana.

Plot didn't seem to go anywhere other then building up the Trinity of Bal Masqué's overly complex plan and teaching yuuji some fighting skills. Sub plots and background info on the rest of the cast kept me interested. The Konoe arc was a drag, but midway the series seemed to regain momentum but the Pheles/johan arc was ruined and the ending was anti-climactic. I hope the triangle ended with the final scene.

After seeing the OVA I have hopes for season 3 as the makers seemed to catch the spirit of the first season again.
Bri is offline  
Old 2009-12-07, 13:23   Link #73
straferd
Toushi
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Europe
Slow first half that is utterly crap, just like Mai Hime. But second half of Mai Hime is dark and dramatic, in Shana they just pick up the pace. It is still not interesting.

Shana (the character) is not as interesting as in season 1 (she lost couple of ranks in my Hall of Fame because of season 2), and how the final episode ends is just ridiculous.

Animation Quality: 6
Voice Actors: 7
Script: 5

Average = 6
__________________

Goddess: Kan'u
Favourites: 1. Lucy 2. Revy 3. Yomi 4. Nina Wáng 5. Jo 6. Teresa 7. Saber 8. Shiki 9. Alphard 10. Chidori 11. Sousuke 12. Shana 13. Yin 14. Natsuki
straferd is offline  
Old 2010-05-09, 00:33   Link #74
klare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
just finished this... so late

the fight between Wilhemina and Sabrac is very well-animated and they are the best scenes in the series

the OPs and EDs are good and the bg music has been fine overall

about the romance, i assume the ending indicated Yuji went towards Shana? the confession has been postponed for 2 seasons...

Overall rating = 7 (yeah season 1 is better)
klare is offline  
Old 2010-07-05, 14:36   Link #75
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Hmm let's see:

Animation Quality: 9.5 - Animation wasn't quite perfect in the whole series, but I felt overall it was still extremely well done especially in the major battles.

Voice Actors: 10 - I can't say I found that any of the VAs didn't a good job to match their characters, I felt they really did an amazing job for this aspect of the series

Script: 7, On whole I felt the script/storyline was good for the second season, but I am giving -2 for Konoe Arc dragging on a bit, and -1 for ending not being Sarbac fight not being the end of this season like it should have been .

Music/BGMs: 10 Honestly both OP, and ED songs for second season were great pieces of music in my book, and all the background music in Shana has felt very appropriate to the mood of the show. I felt this was something done extremely right in the series, I mean only series that I've felt have better BGMs overall would be Key series shows xD.

Editing
: 9 I never really noticed anything wrong it, so I'll give it a 9 here.

Overall: 45.5/50 is a 9.1, so I'll just round to 9 for my overall rating of the second season.
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar & Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.