AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-10, 10:31   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
different from the norm

Are there any high school harem anime or any anime like Index (or Garei) that subvert tropes, invert and possibly deconstruct tropes prevalent in such anime? I am looking form anime that is different from the norm.

Last edited by Guernsey; 2009-10-10 at 19:50.
Old 2009-10-10, 11:52   Link #2
Scorch

I'm really confused. Typical means normal, so what does typical from the norm mean? Index (assuming you mean To Aru Majutsu no Index) isn't really what I'd call a harem show, rather it's a shounen action show with a little bit of a harem as a side thing. I wouldn't really call it high school themed even though there is a little bit of that.

If you like harem shows that aren't just generic comedy/romances, you might like the Tenchi series. They mix in a lot of Sci-fi elements along with a harem, and they have an actual plot.
Old 2009-10-10, 14:34   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maybe you meant atypical?

Anyway, some harem series that deconstructed or subverted it....

Well, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya does deconstruct alot of the high school show tropes- mixed in with the sci-fi mind screw.

Of course the harem aspect was actually popularized by anime that deconstructed it.

Rumiko Takahashi in particular- with Ranma 1/2 being the more famous anime that does this.

Tenchi Muyo comes closer to playing it straight, but even that show subverted tropes.

You might also check this list for anime that claim to subvert or deconstruct it.
Old 2009-10-10, 14:59   Link #4
Cryonosis
~Desu

High School harem that's atypical. . .

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is what immediately comes to mind.

Quote:
. . .
This anime happily subverts any number of schoolgirl tropes, as well as consisting of many more normal ones.
. . .
Old 2009-10-11, 03:42   Link #5
npcomplete

Hayate no Gotoku 1,2 and Lucky Star?
Closed Thread