AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-07-25, 13:21   Link #1
ninjamyst

Too much download?

Everyday I find myself downloading about 1 - 2 GB of movies, music, and mostly anime through bittorrent. I am just wondering if there will ever be a time where the feds may knock on my door and take my computer away or I get a letter from court...how much do you guys download everyday on average? I have comcast cable till the middle of august so I am downloading as much as I can now....
ninjamyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 13:28   Link #2
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Well of course there will be a legal issue of Bittorrent in the near future. Now since animesuki is all about allowing only unlisenced anime be shown on the site there should be no legal issues here. And I download and seed anime daily though i do download music every once in awhile. You shouldnt worry for the time being.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 16:07   Link #3
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst
I am just wondering if there will ever be a time where the feds may knock on my door and take my computer away or I get a letter from court...
Consider it this way: If you live in the United States, an estimated 23,000,000 people download illegal files from the internet each year.

Last year, around 5000 people were served with criminal or civil law suits.

That means you have approximately a .000976% chance of being targeted. And most of the people named in these lawsuits settled out of court. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it'd be like winning the lottery.

90% of thse lawsuits were brought about by the RIAA against people making music files avalible. If you're sharing anime files whos intellectual property is owned by a company in Japan, it's even less likely. However, there's always the chance.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 20:24   Link #4
SlugZilla
woofles

My friend's brother got something in the mail from his cable company cause he downloaded from stuff suprnova. I don't know if I should believe that or not but either way shouldn't they respect the privacy of what sites you go to?(or what files you dl for that matter)
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 06:04   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I think the chances are higher your ISP might eventually be knocking on your door and
asking you to calm down a bit :-)

Then again, you could be lucky and have an ISP that doesn't care much...
(like I seem to have been fortunate with so far)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 06:25   Link #6
Thany
Unfair

I don't know how much I download per day, but I'm around 50-60GB/month and never had any problem with my ISP.
But again, I have unlimited bw anyway

Last edited by Thany; 2004-07-26 at 06:39.
Thany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 15:08   Link #7
7thMethuselah

I dl between 500 Mb and 1 Gb a day, the only problem I had was when I overdid it a bit and my ISP kindly asked to ul/dl less (I was about 4 times over the quote )

Apart from that, my advice would be , don't distribute or start selling anything you download, that is asking for trouble. One of my friends dl music and then started selling it, took about two months before the cops raided his house and confiscated everything. He got of with a warning (and the loss of comp and files).

Besides, what do you have to worry about, we are all replacing those anime with the DVD's once they get licensed? ... or aren't we? ...

7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 17:13   Link #8
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Besides, what do you have to worry about, we are all replacing those anime with the DVD's once they get licensed? ... or aren't we? ...
Not much stuff I've downloaded has been licensed in my country and I didn't like that much most of them