AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-05, 23:58   Link #1
FadedSunrise

Something similar to one of these?...

Code Geass(and R2) I enjoyed this one mostly for its thrilling, complex and layered plot. Plot holes and a somewhat shoddy ending and all, because it was going at such breakneck pace and I was already along for the ride.

Ouran HSHC The only shojo or semi shojo I've seen, and its only because it didn't become full blown shojo and relationship related, but was all comedy(until later in the manga :cough and light hearted moments, mixed in with sweet ones.
For once, I liked how real this was too, compared with my other fantasy favorites.

Bokurano It was really dark and people died over and over again, but I found the concept to be a pretty unique premise, I liked its nod to physics, and its deep psychological layers. Very much engrossing.

I've also watched, in no particular order of enjoyment: Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, Zombie-Loan, Wolf's Rain, Haibane Renmei, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist(1, working on 2), Jigoku Shoujo season 1, Spice and Wolf season 1, D.Gray-man, most of the Miyazaki films, FFVII AC and ACC, Death Note, Inuyasha.

I might be forgetting a few, but that's why I'm making a Myanimelist as I'm typing this post xD

The bolded series are my favorites thus far, those that I've happily marathoned from start to finish. So anything like those would be great.
I've also read the manga to: Naruto, Bleach, ZL, FMA, DGM, Inuyasha, RuroKen, parts of Death Note.
Old 2009-10-06, 01:02   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedSunrise View Post
Ouran HSHC The only shojo or semi shojo I've seen, and its only because it didn't become full blown shojo and relationship related, but was all comedy(until later in the manga :cough and light hearted moments, mixed in with sweet ones.
For once, I liked how real this was too, compared with my other fantasy favorites.
You might like Fruits Basket.
Old 2009-10-06, 08:57   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Code Geass(and R2)
Bokurano It was really dark and people died over and over again, but I found the concept to be a pretty unique premise, I liked its nod to physics, and its deep psychological layers. Very much engrossing.
Given what you liked about Bokurano, I'd try Noein. It's full of science and pseudo-science, and interesting psychological twists (some very odd Freudian stuff that can't be explained w/o spoilage). Excellent series.
Old 2009-10-06, 14:21   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Check out Lovely Complex its quite like Ouran . There is a Live Action and Anime Series , both of which are enjoyable . Also LC has a deeper emotional angle than Ouran . Though its not heavy shojo, comedy is also the key element . Overall an entraining show but watch the anime first then Live-Action if you plan to

Summary : A.Academy

Old 2009-10-06, 21:27   Link #5
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
How about Neon Genesis Evangelion? Essential classic and all that, and certainly dark and psychological.
Old 2009-10-08, 10:46   Link #6
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Hanazakari no Kimitachi E (manga and dorama) is quite similar to Ouran.
Old 2009-10-08, 16:54   Link #7
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Bokurano- oh my god. I thought no one watch that anymore.(WRONG) Check Gantz/Eva or something.
Ouran - Special A, quite similar.
Old 2009-10-08, 17:09   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
If you like dark stuff, try Now and Then, Here and There.

Edit: If you liked Code Geass you should also watch Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo.

If you like mecha in general you should watch Gundam 00 (and probably Gundam SEED also).
Old 2009-10-08, 17:21   Link #9
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I'll add my voice to the above and say Gundam 00. If you enjoy world politics and such like in Code Geass then Gundam 00 will certainly appeal to you. At first I was put off watching it because I'm not a huge mecha fan, but it became an instant favourite of mine once I tried the first two episodes.
Old 2009-10-08, 18:00   Link #10
FadedSunrise

Wow thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I think Lovely Complex should finally come up on my list now. My friend's been hinting it at me for months, especially since I'm also a really tall girl, 6', and would have the same problems xD

Question-is Gundam 00 the start of the Gundam series? All of Gundam confuses me, with its whole Gundam, Gundam Seed Destiny, etc, etc, and I er, have no idea...
Old 2009-10-08, 18:27   Link #11
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I'm also new to the Gundam Universe and what from what I've read so far I think there isn't a real set order. A lot of them are just same setting/alternate universe and won't be needed to understand the other series. Gundam SEED and Gundam 00 seem to usually be suggested to start with for newer viewers (as the older ones may not appeal as much... or so I'm told).

You can check the entry on AniDB and check out their 'relations'. Generally speaking... if there is anything that is considered a 'Prequel', then you should probably start with that. If the relations only list Other/Same Setting/Character/Summary then it's probably ok to start with.

Gundam SEED
Gundam 00
Old 2009-10-09, 13:05   Link #12
Sasano

To clear things up a little with the Gundam topic.

You can divide gundam in half to simplify matters you have UC(universal century).Which is a timeline shared by multiple Gundam shows all the way from the original(Mobile Suit Gundam) too the upcoming new gundam Unicorn this spring.

Gundam Shows that fall in this category:
Mobile Suit Gundam (aka 79)
War in Pocket
Zeta gundam
08th MS team

And then you have what Im gonna call AU(alternative universe) Gundam.Which are pretty much spin-offs of the original and share no relation with each other or UC."Stand-Alone" shows if you will.

Gundam Shows that fall in this category:
Wing Gundam
G Gundam
Gundam 00
Gundam Seed

Each gundam offers something, if you are interested in UC then you can easily look up a list of the right order.For AU you can watch whatever takes your fancy.

Personally Gundam 00 is an obvious choice though if you enjoyed Code Geass.Death note would another must see.And I'll throw in Toradora just for giving out a Slice of life in there.
Old 2009-10-09, 21:39   Link #13
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm... not sure if I can pick anime like the ones you list. (I haven't seen any of them). However, based on what you said you like about them you might like the following:

More "Realistic" series:
Maison Ikkoku (a romantic comedy- lots of comedy)
Cross Game

"Complex" Series:
Anything Gundam
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya of course, the greatest complexities are more apparent in the books. Also, the books have a much more explicit nod to physics (time-travel is based on the uncertainty principle). It's still there in the anime though if you pay attention and don't get distracted by the moe (It's satire! but people keep treating it like it isn't) You'll either really love it, or you'll hate it. One piece of advice- don't go in thinking Haruhi is the heroine and that you have to like her. She's not, and you're not supposed to. Oh, and there also is the question of order... I say watch Episode 00, and then in chronological order (as opposed to brodcast order- yeah they broadcast it out of order), and go ahead and skip 5 of the Endless Eight episodes. Just watch EE 1, EE 2, and EE 8.... unless you really want to experience the way they like to torment the fans.

Others:
I think you'd like the latter season of Full Metal Panic. The Second Raid is pretty good. And if they ever get around to animating the remaining books the plot is only going to get better.

The first season isn't bad, but more comedy mixed with the drama. Fummuffu is straight comedy, but is not necessary to watch to follow the plot, you could skip straight to The Second Raid.
Old 2009-10-11, 14:38   Link #14
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Code Geass(and R2) I enjoyed this one mostly for its thrilling, complex and layered plot. Plot holes and a somewhat shoddy ending and all, because it was going at such breakneck pace and I was already along for the ride.
Watch Death Note in that case, even if you've read the manga.