AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-14, 09:35   Link #4341
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Obama did the right thing by killing the missile defence plan. I seriously doubt it would even work in the first place, because I don't think the Russians would just leave their Topol-M missile the way it is back when it was first built. Also, the missile plan can't hit 200 MRBMs at the same time, right?

So far, the ONLY anti-ballistic missile system that is actually working is the Arrow from Israel. Since we already know that China imports Jaffa oranges from Israel, the ME nations shouldn't just do more than insult its existence because of obvious trade between the former 2. That should pretty much stagnate the Mideast Crisis for now.

After sifting through so many posts hacking away at the Obama administration, and some which are mending it, I have come to a consensus :

US is no longer a superpower, it is just another group of states like Malaysia. China will lead the world from 2010 onwards. Start learning Mandarin today.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 10:18   Link #4342
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
US is no longer a superpower, it is just another group of states like Malaysia. China will lead the world from 2010 onwards. Start learning Mandarin today.
From what I can see, China is a potential train wreck if the central government fails to move to a less export-dependent economy fast enough, esp. if global demand shrinks in the near to medium-term future. The move's happening now, I believe, but it needs time and luck to finish.

Rough back-of-the-envelope guesses: China has a lot going for it, but 2010 is, IMHO, a bit early - even though at the moment, it looks like the "Wild West". Assuming that it doesn't fall over, 2015 is possible, but 2020 is a bit more likely with a "full speed ahead" happening about 10 years later. Slowing down by or around 2050 to 2060 as its population ages.

In other words, you have time to learn your Mandarin.

I believe that the gender imbalance is still on its way and not being fixed in China also?

Disclaimer: I'm Han Chinese with family in China and the U.S. Non-ABC, though.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 10:25   Link #4343
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Obama did the right thing by killing the missile defence plan. I seriously doubt it would even work in the first place, because I don't think the Russians would just leave their Topol-M missile the way it is back when it was first built. Also, the missile plan can't hit 200 MRBMs at the same time, right?

So far, the ONLY anti-ballistic missile system that is actually working is the Arrow from Israel. Since we already know that China imports Jaffa oranges from Israel, the ME nations shouldn't just do more than insult its existence because of obvious trade between the former 2. That should pretty much stagnate the Mideast Crisis for now.

After sifting through so many posts hacking away at the Obama administration, and some which are mending it, I have come to a consensus :

US is no longer a superpower, it is just another group of states like Malaysia. China will lead the world from 2010 onwards. Start learning Mandarin today.
Don't be too quick to dismiss the US. You're still looking at the world's largest economy, and the allure of this country, though fading, still attracts millions of people around the world. Look at this year's list of Nobel laureates. Many are US citizens by choice, not birth.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 10:58   Link #4344
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I generally do not like to get involved in political discussion online, but I found this statement to be too deliciously ironic not to make a brief comment. One of the reasons that foreign nations have not liked America in the past, is because they perceive the country to be too arrogant for stepping into other nations businesses. So, I find it ironic that a reason you dislike the award (or at least what you believe to be the basis for presenting the award to Obama) is the same reason many non-Americans have disliked America in the past.

That being said, not only would Obama (and America) look absolutely foolish for rejecting the award, but he would harm any credibility he has gained on the world stage (the extent of the harm is unknown). And for what? A few brownie points with conservative pundits and comentators (and said pundits and comentators would immedaitly forget the brownie points within a day or two).

The real question isn't should he reject the award, but what he should do with the money. A million dollar doanation to the right charity could be a wonderful PR move.
just out of curiosity, just how much does Obama and by extension the US being like by foreign country actually help the US? Is it going to help make the Russian more helpful regarding Iran? How about France and Germany being more likely to send troops to Afghantsan which unlike Iraq is UN sanction? How about Norway,, are they going to sell the US cheaper oil?

this whole business of being well like is crap in international diplomacy. No one cares if they like you or not, only thing that matters is whether by helping you it benefits them.

Not saying that rejecting the award would have help Obama much in the domestic side of things but rejecting isn't going to hurt him or the US much either.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 11:13   Link #4345
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
From what I can see, China is a potential train wreck if the central government fails to move to a less export-dependent economy fast enough, esp. if global demand shrinks in the near to medium-term future. The move's happening now, I believe, but it needs time and luck to finish.

Rough back-of-the-envelope guesses: China has a lot going for it, but 2010 is, IMHO, a bit early - even though at the moment, it looks like the "Wild West". Assuming that it doesn't fall over, 2015 is possible, but 2020 is a bit more likely with a "full speed ahead" happening about 10 years later. Slowing down by or around 2050 to 2060 as its population ages.

In other words, you have time to learn your Mandarin.

I believe that the gender imbalance is still on its way and not being fixed in China also?

Disclaimer: I'm Han Chinese with family in China and the U.S. Non-ABC, though.
China shores up US with its finances and buys their debt because it aids in their export-dependent economy : USD is still pretty much the official currency, and having it to fail will destroy buying and selling because there is no actual currency, like in the African nations where diamonds are looked upon as the natural currency rather than paper money. With so much USD, China is pretty much in control of the US economy and in short, it is controlling the world largest economy indirectly.

It won't be long before the USD is revalued in according to China's terms, and probably, a standard electronic credit unit will be used in the near future, courtesy of China.

Disclaimer : I am Chinese by genetic domination (mixed blood in fact), but I support Western ideals more than Chinese or Eastern ones because of hypocrisy, incoherence and self-serving intentions that saturate the so-called Eastern "pragmatism".

In short, I am tired of hearing, "Chinese should side with Chinese because of our roots." as the central logic to siding with selfish, ignorant and pathetic goons that seemingly make up China's entire population, constantly downtrodding others or using them as rags till they dry up, then chuck them away.

I don't like the fact that China is a rising superpower and spreading such of their bullshit around and breaking the balanced nomenclature of SEA societies to serve their greed, but unfortunately, data seems to point that way and many people are "adapting" so they can "survive". IMO, they are already dead and enslaved to their fears of failing in life.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 11:19   Link #4346
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Yeah sure... official history for you. And what about the Philippine-American war of 1989-1902+10?
See, that's the problem with cherry-picking facts out of history (or getting some fractured version of history)....
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 14:38   Link #4347
autobachs
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Yeah sure... official history for you. And what about the Philippine-American war of 1989-1902+10?
It was not a war. It was an insurgency.
autobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 14:43   Link #4348
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Govt won't submit bill on inspecting DPRK cargo

Quote:
The government has decided against submitting a bill to allow inspections of cargo on flights and vessels traveling to and from North Korea to the upcoming extraordinary Diet session, scheduled to be convened on Oct. 23.
This is such a good idea. After all, the Chinese government has managed to convince North Korea to return to six-party talks meaning that their hostilities will soon fade away. As for their recent missile-firings, it is most likely the usual military drill. More over, North Korea has issued an apology to South Korea for releasing the dam waters claiming the lives of ordinary South Koreans awhile ago.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 15:09   Link #4349
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
China shores up US with its finances and buys their debt because it aids in their export-dependent economy : USD is still pretty much the official currency, and having it to fail will destroy buying and selling because there is no actual currency, like in the African nations where diamonds are looked upon as the natural currency rather than paper money. With so much USD, China is pretty much in control of the US economy and in short, it is controlling the world largest economy indirectly.

It won't be long before the USD is revalued in according to China's terms, and probably, a standard electronic credit unit will be used in the near future, courtesy of China.
Where are you getting this stuff from? China is as dependent on the US as the US is dependant on China. Perhaps more so. US companies making their products in China can always relocate their factories to another country. China can't simply find a new market with over 300 million customers to sell their products. Plus China doesn't have as much of the US debt as people seem to think, and what they do have is in the form of bonds. As such, it's the US dictating the terms of that debt, not China. All China can really do is hold them until they come due and cash them in, or try to sell them to someone else on the open market. When you hear threats of China dumping US debt, it's referring to the latter. It's not that the US would then have to pay back the bonds, but that the bonds China is selling second hand lower the value of the new ones the US is trying to sell. It's not the knock out blow to the American economy that a lot of people seem to think it would be. Plus that would lower the value of the other bonds China has, costing them money too, and probably trigger a US response to impose large tarrifs on Chinese goods so China would get hurt by it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobachs View Post
It was not a war. It was an insurgency.
So you're saying we're not at war right now then? After all, Iraq and Afganistan are insurgencies too.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 18:05   Link #4350
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
China shores up US with its finances and buys their debt because it aids in their export-dependent economy : USD is still pretty much the official currency, and having it to fail will destroy buying and selling because there is no actual currency, like in the African nations where diamonds are looked upon as the natural currency rather than paper money. With so much USD, China is pretty much in control of the US economy and in short, it is controlling the world largest economy indirectly.

It won't be long before the USD is revalued in according to China's terms, and probably, a standard electronic credit unit will be used in the near future, courtesy of China.

Disclaimer : I am Chinese by genetic domination (mixed blood in fact), but I support Western ideals more than Chinese or Eastern ones because of hypocrisy, incoherence and self-serving intentions that saturate the so-called Eastern "pragmatism".

In short, I am tired of hearing, "Chinese should side with Chinese because of our roots." as the central logic to siding with selfish, ignorant and pathetic goons that seemingly make up China's entire population, constantly downtrodding others or using them as rags till they dry up, then chuck them away.

I don't like the fact that China is a rising superpower and spreading such of their bullshit around and breaking the balanced nomenclature of SEA societies to serve their greed, but unfortunately, data seems to point that way and many people are "adapting" so they can "survive". IMO, they are already dead and enslaved to their fears of failing in life.
The amount of US debt China is holding is a double-edged sword. When you owe the bank $10,000, you worry that you can't repay the loan. But, when you owe the bank 1 billion dollars, the bank worries that you can't repay the loan. Same thing here. China would not force the US on Treasury Bill issues, at least not before getting rid of some of it first. Both sides know that if either make a stupid move, both will go down, along with 90% of the world.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 01:48   Link #4351
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Get nasty or GTFO(?)

Basically, the guy says we can't win it given the existing admin and world opinion.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...=yes&page=full

Quote:
The go-light strategy in Afghanistan is a joke. If Obama's serious about victory, it's time to start making unpleasant choices.

...Overall, then, we are well along the road to self-imposed defeat in Afghanistan, and about the best we can do is give McChrystal the troops he needs to slow defeat. After doing that, we can figure out how to get out of Afghanistan in an orderly manner, while preparing to absorb more al Qaeda attacks in North America.

Last edited by mg1942; 2009-10-15 at 03:13.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 02:52   Link #4352
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Basically, the guy says we can't win it given the existing admin and world opinion.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article..._home?page=0,1
I'm not sure if that op-ed can really be given any credibility. For one he's talking about 400,000 to 500,000 more troops being sent to Afganistan in order to win. Now while I agree that the 40,000 troops McChrystal asked for won't be enough, the US doesn't have half a million spare troops to send. That many troops would require either an expansion of the military in a way that would likely require a draft, or a complete abandonment of all other US military commitments. Not to mention the monetary expense would be huge. Considering what the US is already spending in Iraq and Afganistan and the domestic spending, it's very unlikely the US could afford it. Plus I question where he's getting those numbers from in the first place.

Further, he's suggesting we use a doctrine we know from experience will not work. It's the exact same thing we tried in Vietnam and the Russians tried in Afganistan itself. If it didn't work for the US in Vietnam and it didn't work for thre Soviets in Afganistan, what makes him think it'll work for the US in Afganistan? The whole thing strikes me as a false dicotomy fallacy. Either we fight like this was Vietnam, or we give up and go home. Sorry, but there are other options.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 05:53   Link #4353
autobachs
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Basically, the guy says we can't win it given the existing admin and world opinion.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...=yes&page=full

The war is winnable. The war is worth winning. The soldiers are capable of winning the war and they want to win the war. That being said, if the State Department and the cabinet are going to run the war, it will be next to impossible to win the war.

It is so easy to say "we can't win the war, and we can afford to ignore that region, so bring the troops home." But we cannot afford to ignore that region. The world is too small now, and terrible weapons now can be in small and easily transported packages. The people in that region that we are fighting do not simply want to be left alone. They want to be left alone so that they can grow in numbers, strength, and power, until they can do whatever they wish, wherever they wish to do it.

When you say "these are people and/or civilizations who have not advanced in hundreds or thousands of years" remember that they were determined to conquer the world during that period from which you say they have not advanced. If they have not advanced or changed, then it is likely their goals have not changed.

We fucked up. We spent BILLIONS training and supplying people in that region to fight Russia for us. We succeeded, and they succeeded, in those efforts. Then we just left them in a power vacuum. What will happen when we leave it to those people? What happened the last time? Thing is, Pakistan has nuclear weapons now. Those who want to run the west out of Afghanistan want to control Pakistan as well. You figure out what will happen to Pakistan's nuclear weapons when "those people" get control of them.
autobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 06:10   Link #4354
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
China shores up US with its finances and buys their debt because it aids in their export-dependent economy : USD is still pretty much the official currency, and having it to fail will destroy buying and selling because there is no actual currency, like in the African nations where diamonds are looked upon as the natural currency rather than paper money. With so much USD, China is pretty much in control of the US economy and in short, it is controlling the world largest economy indirectly.

It won't be long before the USD is revalued in according to China's terms, and probably, a standard electronic credit unit will be used in the near future, courtesy of China.
Compared to the odds of the U.S. defaulting on its debt, I would say that the odds of the U.S. dollar being devalued in the short- to medium-term period is higher. There are some benefits to a country with a weak currency. Whether the U.S. will accept or even like that, no idea.

In terms of China rising and the U.S. falling, I see that more as a trend of a country's growth more than any claims of nationalism. Outside of an "Eternal Emperor" scenario, no country can stay in power forever, and will eventually step back to let someone else take the limelight for awhile. China's turn to decline will come; its population growth, birth and aging patterns at the moment pretty much guarantee that, IMHO.

As for China taking over the U.S., back in the 80's, Japan tried the same, and it didn't do too well in the end having, among other reasons, extended too far too fast. It's more likely that China would work more in its own backyard (spending money in Russia and, more likely, Australia - if its citizens let them), and where possible, use the U.S. as an ally to pacify its critics and a customer for its goods.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 15:03   Link #4355
Knight Hawk
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New York City
Pro wrestler, music video icon Albano dies at 76
Quote:
NEW YORK "Captain" Lou Albano, who became one of the most recognized professional wrestlers of the 1980s after appearing in Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" music video, died Wednesday. He was 76.

Albano, whose real name was Louis Vincent Albano, died in Westchester County in suburban New York, said Dawn Marie, founder of Wrestlers Rescue, an organization that helps raise money for the health care of retired wrestlers. He died of natural causes, Marie said.

World Wrestling Entertainment called him one of the company's "most popular and charismatic legends."

With his trademark Hawaiian shirts, wiry goatee and rubber bands hung like piercings from his cheek, Albano was an outsize personality who, in a career spanning nearly five decades, was known as much for his showmanship as for his talent in the ring.

His fame skyrocketed when he appeared in Lauper's landmark 1983 music video, playing a scruffy, overbearing father in a white tank top who gets shoved against a wall by the singer.

Partly because of the success of Albano's partnership with Lauper, the entity then known as the World Wrestling Federation forged ties with the music industry. That helped bring it to a wider national audience in the mid-1980s, known as the "Rock n' Wrestling" era.

"When the Captain hit the screen with the video, it gave us a whole new audience," said "Irish" Davey O'Hannon, a professional wrestler who knew Albano since the 1970s. "When that came out, let me tell you, it just rocketed."

It was a time when wrestlers such as Albano, Hulk Hogan, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and Andre the Giant were so popular that they could headline a television cartoon series and appear in movies.

Albano later had a role in the music video for Lauper's 1984 song "Time After Time," and he appeared in episodes of the TV series "Miami Vice" and in the 1986 movie "Body Slam." He played Mario in "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show," a live-action animated show, from 1989 to 1991.

His career in the ring began in 1953 in Canada, and he went on to form the "The Sicilians" tag team with Tony Altimore. They were known for wearing fedoras and talking about the Mafia in interviews, according to the book "WWE Legends" by Brian Solomon.

Albano also coached popular tag teams such as The Wild Samoans, The Executioners and The Moondogs. He retired from the WWE in 1996.

Albano was born on July 29, 1933, in Rome. After moving to the U.S., the family settled in Mount Vernon, N.Y. Survivors include his wife, Geri, four children and 14 grandchildren.

Do the Mario.
Come on now.
Just like that.

Farewell, Captain.

__________________
--A dream called "Youth". We'll eventually wake up from this dream, but the memories will continue to endure. - Karasuma, School Rumble
--Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss
Knight Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 18:13   Link #4356
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Interracial couple denied marriage license in LA.

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS — A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."

Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.

"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. "The Supreme Court ruled as far back as 1963 that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU sent a letter to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and recommending "the most severe sanctions available, because such blatant bigotry poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the administration of justice."

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzmann said.

According to the clerk of court's office, application for a marriage license must be made three days before the ceremony because there is a 72-hour waiting period. The applicants are asked if they have previously been married. If so, they must show how the marriage ended, such as divorce.

Other than that, all they need is a birth certificate and Social Security card.

The license fee is $35, and the license must be signed by a Louisiana minister, justice of the peace or judge. The original is returned to the clerk's office.

"I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."

By MARY FOSTER
While this is shocking and sad news, the fact that it occurred, more or less, the same time Obama was visiting the state is just shockingly stupid on the part of the judge.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 19:19   Link #4357
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Interracial couple denied marriage license in LA.



While this is shocking and sad news, the fact that it occurred, more or less, the same time Obama was visiting the state is just shockingly stupid on the part of the judge.
I like how he claims he's not racist, he just doesn't believe races should mix. It's beyond sad that this sort of thing still happens in 2009. That whole 'it's for the children' comment and that he says he has black friends and lets them use his bathroom makes him sound even more racist in my opinion, not less. I hope that guy is promtly removed, though I'm not really expecting it. When he's marrying people as a justice of the peace on behalf of the state, he should not be able to discriminate against a couple who can legally get married.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 23:31   Link #4358
autobachs
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
The article is a bit misleading. He won't sign a license (they actually say this later on) which in effect means he won't marry them. A license is not being denied. It's the same as a catholic priest refusing to marry anyone to a non-catholic or any other personal rational used to decide who's marriage you will or won't precide over. I still don't understand where the outrage is coming from. The guy has some very screwy beliefs, but they aren't required to match some fixed set.
autobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 23:46   Link #4359
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobachs View Post
The article is a bit misleading. He won't sign a license (they actually say this later on) which in effect means he won't marry them. A license is not being denied. It's the same as a catholic priest refusing to marry anyone to a non-catholic or any other personal rational used to decide who's marriage you will or won't precide over. I still don't understand where the outrage is coming from. The guy has some very screwy beliefs, but they aren't required to match some fixed set.
It's not the same thing. A justice of the peace works for the state. Unlike a priest or minister, who are marrying people in their capacity as a religious leader and can deny marrying people based on their religious beliefs, he is marrying people as a state official and thus doesn't get to choose who he will or will not marry as long as they're a legal couple. He's discriminating against a couple because they happen to be of mixed race, which is outragous for anyone, but doublely so for a state employee. Then he goes on to defend his position by claiming he has black friends that he lets use his bathroom so he isn't racist. He isn't required to like it, he's allowed to hold racist beliefs, but he is also required to marry the couple as is the law. He can believe it's a mistake all he wants, but by not marrying them he's breaking the law.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 23:57   Link #4360
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Yup, last I checked there was a substantial difference between the government and a church (mandated by the Constitution). So there's no correlation between a Catholic priest and a Justice of the Peace at all.

Also, not signing == denying. He can only not sign if specific conditions aren't met. Inter-racial isn't one of them. Is this really that complicated for you?

Basically, he's an old guy who still thinks "separate but equal" and somehow managed to avoid detection til recently. He's free to think that but he should resign his position if he won't carry out his duty.

I'd also like to know the judge's data source on "inter-racial marriages don't last long"... nothing like ignorance as the basis for an assertion.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.