AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Darker Than Black

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-18, 21:53   Link #21
hero147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I don't have those questions (why would I?), and I'm hardly as nitpicky on the things I watch as I'm on the things I write. That said I wouldn't be here arguing if I felt watching S1 following common sense (which you yourself seem to preach) actually helped in this case. Also, Hei and Yin are not the main focus in this one (go watch the opening you skipped) and Mao is dead, not that I care.

The attitude of you people to spoilers and apparent chronological order is hypocritical honestly. You don't like spoilers because its apparently always more fun to watch it or find it out later but recommend everyone goes and watch S1 as a must, even though this one is more of a side story.
Watching season 1 is following common sense. You don't build the second floor of a building before the first. The first season laid the groundwork to which the second season can expand on. Nice of you to infer that I didn't watch the opening, unfortunately your wrong, and I still believe that Hei and Yin will probably be pretty damn important regardless. Tell me if you think otherwise. Oh, and I have a feeling the Mao comment will come and bite you back in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You are generalizing, that is very fragile ground you walk. While I did watch S1 now, I sure can do nothing about the hole gossip train that was going on each week when it aired, so your absolute values in your arguments have no meaning to me and never will.

Also, I wouldn't call the first season a burden. It had episodic "Contractor of the week" theme with 3 key episodes thrown in to hint to the ending and some cheap links here and there. You then had the filler arcs with no conclusion - who did fatsinger and poet boy work for in the end? - and cheesy filler characters like the detective and gangster. I would say S1 had potential and did nothing with it; lets face it Hei and co. played more the role of the weird 3rd party rather then the protagonist(s).
Unfortunately, I didn't watch Darker than Black while it aired, I watched it right after the first episode aired after hearing good reviews on it, I decided to pick it up. As for the Season 1 itself, although it was very episodic in nature and not as coherent as a series as it could have been, it focused itself into exploring segments in the story. Each arc presented something whether it was development for a character, back story, or even a theme.

Did you miss the arc completely? First of all, the arc which included the fatsinger and poet boy wasn't filler, it explored the back story of Yin. Secondly, who they worked for doesn't make the arc inconclusive, since it had no relevance to the purpose of the arc. (On a side-note, I think I read or seen somewhere that they were from Russian intelligence). Though I agree the the detective and his little side-kick were pretty much useless. For the role of the gangster arc, we see some development not just in a side character, but in Hei as well. Hei, at the conclusion of the arc, views Yin/dolls in a different light.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 22:03   Link #22
dear4life
Contractor
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hell's Gate
Reasons why to watch the first season:
1. Learn about the Heaven and Hell's Gate and how they are linked and why the walls were built around them.
2. What the meteor core and a little bit about its power (it might give you a little insite on why everone is searching for it in season two.)
3. Learn about what the Tokyo Explotion is, who caused it, and why. (The Tokyo explotion is linked to the second season.)
4. Why Contractors are rational thinkers and how it effects their emotions. (It will give you insite on why Suou's brother used her as a decoy.)
5. Why Hei is special, when he got his powers, and how he got the name "Black Reaper."
6. What are Dolls, what they are for, and how they are created.
7. Who is Bai/if that is brought up.
8. Who that female is at the end of s2 ep 2.
9. Who Mao is and why he is believed (at this point) to be in the squirrel.
10. And it's just too awesome not to watch.

And please don't say you don't care about any of that. Let the person read the list for themselves and make the decision if it will be worth watching.
__________________
dear4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 04:36   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
dear4life, at least up to this point I hardly see S1 holding back S2. Your questions are not really relevant to Suou going on a jurney, and a lot of them like "What the meteor core and a little bit about its power" were not explained in S1. As I recall at most we got some hints, mostly for the convenience of story continuity; unless you know something I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Watching season 1 is following common sense. You don't build the second floor of a building before the first. The first season laid the groundwork to which the second season can expand on.
I learned a long time ago shallow analogies like this don't really mean anything. Use them next time when the other party actually agrees with the mechanics but doesn't grasp the concepts; right now they are just childish self centered arguments with no basis, other then their own self proclaimed "truth".
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Nice of you to infer that I didn't watch the opening, unfortunately your wrong, and I still believe that Hei and Yin will probably be pretty damn important regardless. Tell me if you think otherwise.
Yes well so was the useless detective... at one point. My case stands, season will focus on Suou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't watch Darker than Black while it aired, I watched it right after the first episode aired after hearing good reviews on it, I decided to pick it up. As for the Season 1 itself, although it was very episodic in nature and not as coherent as a series as it could have been, it focused itself into exploring segments in the story. Each arc presented something whether it was development for a character, back story, or even a theme.
Interesting, so you watched it in one go as well, to be honest I thought you were a long term fan since S1 first aired, maybe even before and arguing with me just for the hell of it. Then I guess I can only agree to disagree, I watched it for information on this season, found little to nothing; but you did apparently, guess that means something.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 04:45   Link #24
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
So everyone should know that you must watch the first season before the second, and you are quite possibly the only person on this planet who thinks that watching the first season before the second is not needed.

End of discussion, because this is the wrong thread for that.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 04:50   Link #25
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
So everyone should know that you must watch the first season before the second, and you are quite possibly the only person on this planet who thinks that watching the first season before the second is not needed.
Your assessment is based on what?

Last edited by felix; 2009-10-19 at 05:01.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:04   Link #26
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
I know this discussion will go no where at all, so there's really no point if i add any more to it. You'll never admit that the first season should be watched before hand, even though many members here have already stated a number of reasons as to why that path is the right one, though you won't accept that, so there's no point.

& here i am thinking it should be common sense to watch a first season before the second.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:06   Link #27
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I know this discussion will go no where at all, so there's really no point if i add any more to it. You'll never admit that the first season should be watched before hand, even though many members here have already stated a number of reasons as to why that path is the right one, though you won't accept that, so there's no point.
The people who watched it while it aired don't count since this sort of issue is not their concern.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:30   Link #28
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
The people who watched it while it aired don't count since this sort of issue is not their concern.
Well that's the biggest pile of crap i've ever heard.

So just because we watched it when it aired means we have nothing to do with stating that the first season should be watched before the second? Oh please tell me how that makes sense, because from where i'm sitting it doesn't at all.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:30   Link #29
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
So you're saying they're not allowed to voice their opinion?
No I'm saying they are not the ones that would ask the question.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:41   Link #30
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
As someone said before, you can watch S2 without watching S1, the first episode explains the contractor basics etc., but in order to fully enjoy and appreciate S2, you need to know the characters and the relationship between them, which does not come out of a summary at Season 2. For example, if April had a picture of November in her jacket and she said he was an old friend of hers, you'd get a general idea but lack the depth of it. So it's all about how dramatic S2 can become through the knowledge of S1, thus I suggest that it be watched beforehand.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 08:06   Link #31
Battler-kun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I rewatched the first two episodes of the first season.
These 2 eps. are really unmatched quality for me. The drama, intensity, atmosphere, direction and the music really are perfect. God, the insert song with Yamane Mai singing towards the end of episode 2. It's breathtaking.
Never reached the same level again unfortunately.

Anyways , the question:
Is it the same seiyuu from S1 in S2?
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 08:23   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
Is it the same seiyuu from S1 in S2?
Yes it is.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 16:11   Link #33
hero147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I learned a long time ago shallow analogies like this don't really mean anything. Use them next time when the other party actually agrees with the mechanics but doesn't grasp the concepts; right now they are just childish self centered arguments with no basis, other then their own self proclaimed "truth".
Yes well so was the useless detective... at one point. My case stands, season will focus on Suou.
I fail to see your point. The analogy still stands. How you find it illogical to just skip the first season is beyond me. Every story builds on itself. A writer can't kill the protagonist in the first episode and expect the readers to sympathize. Everything is built up, starting from settings to characters to plot.

Yes, the season will focus on Suou. However, comparing the roles of the useless detective of last season and Hei of this season is absurd. While the detective may have been (practically) a useless side character for the last season, Hei is an integral part of this season. The comparison just can't be made.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 16:21   Link #34
Strange
Incoherent at best.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
If you enjoyed the first few episodes of Season 2, isn't it generally a good idea to move on to season 1, before resuming season 2? It may not seem necessary, but a lot of characters are returning, and you will miss many allusions to events of the past by skipping season 1.
Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 19:39   Link #35
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
I fail to see your point. The analogy still stands.
In your imaginary little world maybe; as far as I'm concerned its based on hot air, not any fact I trust in or acknowledge, so I don't care what conclusion it implies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
How you find it illogical to just skip the first season is beyond me.
No, I said I did it like that (ie. went back to watch S1) so as to better understand this one and for that purpose got no gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Every story builds on itself. A writer can't kill the protagonist in the first episode and expect the readers to sympathize. Everything is built up, starting from settings to characters to plot.

Yes, the season will focus on Suou. However, comparing the roles of the useless detective of last season and Hei of this season is absurd. While the detective may have been (practically) a useless side character for the last season, Hei is an integral part of this season. The comparison just can't be made.
Personally with all shows I care for the stuff that airs now not the stuff that aired two or more years ago (what you think I went and watched all 50 Macross series?). This is a independent side story based on Suou, character which the first season doesn't even hint to. Just because they live in the same universe doesn't mean I should care. You think people needed to watch the entire duzen Gundam series heritage dating back to god knows when to understand that last Gundam series (forgot its name).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange View Post
If you enjoyed the first few episodes of Season 2, isn't it generally a good idea to move on to season 1, before resuming season 2? It may not seem necessary, but a lot of characters are returning, and you will miss many allusions to events of the past by skipping season 1.
And yet, I was happily disappointed. You're saying that to better understand the 30 seconds of screen time miss MI-6 agent got this season I need to watch the entire season one; unfortunately as you can guess following though with this advice doesn't give that many benefits as far as this season is concerned. Sure its a nice show, but lets face it characters that didn't change so far died and Hei isn't anything predictable in his current state. As far as understanding this season I didn't feel I got anything for my time.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 20:49   Link #36
hero147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Personally with all shows I care for the stuff that airs now not the stuff that aired two or more years ago (what you think I went and watched all 50 Macross series?). This is a independent side story based on Suou, character which the first season doesn't even hint to. Just because they live in the same universe doesn't mean I should care. You think people needed to watch the entire duzen Gundam series heritage dating back to god knows when to understand that last Gundam series (forgot its name).
This is not an independent side story based on Suou. A large part of the story also focuses on Hei, his beliefs and motivations. Even if he has taken a back-seat for Suou, he still remains as one of the most prominent characters in the story. Not sure about Macross, having only seen Macross Frontier, but the comparison to Gundam is again...absurd. You don't have to watch every Gundam series simply because they don't follow one coherent storyline, so the comparison doesn't apply. Heck, most of them are set in different settings! Every gundam series has a unique plot and characters but share a common theme. The relation of Darker than Black season 1 and season 2 is not like the relationship shared by every gundam series, but rather more like the relationship a specific gundam series has in itself, like Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny, which is a relationship more interconnected, closer, and dependent on each other.

Most English scholars agree that all English literature is interconnected. Essentially, Literature builds on itself. The themes and morals of today's stories can be traced back to the beginning of time. Shakespeare, for example, alludes many of his works to ancient Greek Myths. From this logic, in order to truly understand works of Shakespeare, one must also be familiar with what he alludes to, in the example give, Greek Myths. With Darker than Black, this becomes a lot more visible, because they are a lot closer in proximity.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 21:13   Link #37
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Most English scholars agree that all English literature is interconnected. Essentially, Literature builds on itself. The themes and morals of today's stories can be traced back to the beginning of time. Shakespeare, for example, alludes many of his works to ancient Greek Myths. From this logic, in order to truly understand works of Shakespeare, one must also be familiar with what he alludes to, in the example give, Greek Myths. With Darker than Black, this becomes a lot more visible, because they are a lot closer in proximity.
Darker then BLACK is part of English literature now? Rationally speaking its in their interest not to tie in too close to S1 since less viewers or confused viewers equals less profit; and they do have sufficient freedom in the context presented thus far to avoid all but a few details. Shakespeare had his philosophical reasons to do what he did, they have theirs money crouching ones. Of course we're human here so you can ditch logic and believe bones is some messiah company in it out of philosophical reasons, if you want.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 22:41   Link #38
hero147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Darker then BLACK is part of English literature now? Rationally speaking its in their interest not to tie in too close to S1 since less viewers or confused viewers equals less profit; and they do have sufficient freedom in the context presented thus far to avoid all but a few details. Shakespeare had his philosophical reasons to do what he did, they have theirs money crouching ones. Of course we're human here so you can ditch logic and believe bones is some messiah company in it out of philosophical reasons, if you want.
Technically Darker than Black isn't English literature, but it is literature. Even though, I'm not an expert on Japanese culture, I'd imagine it to be very much alike. As for Shakespeare, from what I've been told, he didn't do it for some philosophical reason, he did it for the money. He was a playwright, and he got paid big bucks to put things on screen.

We are only in the 2nd episode of the season. We can't infer that nothing in this season will allude to something that has been built up in season 1. Honestly, as far as sequels go, it's more likely that something relevant in season 1 is also going to pop itself back into season 2. And the person who was told to be able to skip season 1, would be dumbfounded and lost when it really does happen. You can't claim that season 1 will have no relevance on its sequel before it has finished airing.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 23:56   Link #39
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Should I watch season 1 before starting season 2? Or will I be able to follow season 2 with out it?
Do you like what you see in season two? If you do, season one is essentially the same thing. So while you are waiting for the next episode of season two to air, go back and watch some of season one.

Even if the two end up mostly unrelated, it's still the Darker Than Black universe. So if they are unrelated, then congrats you just got two similar stories with interesting characters, action, and mystery. If they are related, you'll appreciate the series as a whole even more. Win win.



Anyway, I believe this can turn into a Q&A thread again. Save the debate on the merits of S1 vs S2 for another thread.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 11:13   Link #40
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Dumb question, what does does Darker than Black air in Japan?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
q&a

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.