AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-21, 19:34   Link #21
Cal-Reflector
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Marathoned all the chapters today; heading out to Kinkokuniya to buy it tomorrow. I'll probably need the English/Chinese version as well for parts where the Japanese gets difficult.

Thoughts:

Love the story and engaging characters. I think Umino Chika's art has improved; everything just seems prettier.

First time I've seen Umino Chika include "villains" in her work: In this case, Kyoko, Rei's "sister" and Rei's boyfriend, 20+ years older, married, and treats Kyoko (who is infatuated with him) and Rei like shit.

The mood of the story swings between healing and abusive/damaging, depending on the situation Rei finds himself in. The central struggle is that of Rei's tragic past (both from his original family and his adopted family) and how he tries to achieve happiness in the present, with help form Akari's family (in a way, his Present Family) and his new comrades in Shogi.

Kyoko is a bitch. An extremely effective one who derives greatest satisfaction when she can cause Rei to suffer, usually by guilt-tripping him over how screwed up she became. I don't get the impression that she has feelings for Rei. Whether Rei has romantic feelings towards her is ambiguous; something ranging from a childhood crush to a familial sense of obligation/responsibility, that he screwed up her life, or something. In addition, she leeches off of him because she fell out with her father over her loose life style. About the only redeeming point Kyoko has is that she's aware of how screwed up her life is.

Frankly, I never expected to dislike a character this much when I pick up a Umino Chika story. A great character though.

Akari is as good a person as Kyoko is a bad one; they are polar extremes in behavior and outlook on life. One copes with grief by self-destructive/latching-on behavior, one copes by working hard in life and caring for others around her. If there's to be romance at all in this story I hope it occurs between Rei and Akari, but everything has been strictly platonic so far.
__________________
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 16:31   Link #22
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Does anyone know the status of the next volume? I really hope BWY and SCX haven't dropped it...
We haven't. We only do Tank scans, and one of our translators got sick, and the other translator (me) got lazy. We're quite behind, since volume 3 tank's out. I just turned in Chapter 11's script actually ... but Chapter 12's script is done, and 13's being done, so don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Marathoned all the chapters today; heading out to Kinkokuniya to buy it tomorrow. I'll probably need the English/Chinese version as well for parts where the Japanese gets difficult.

Thoughts:

Love the story and engaging characters. I think Umino Chika's art has improved; everything just seems prettier.

First time I've seen Umino Chika include "villains" in her work: In this case, Kyoko, Rei's "sister" and Rei's boyfriend, 20+ years older, married, and treats Kyoko (who is infatuated with him) and Rei like shit.

The mood of the story swings between healing and abusive/damaging, depending on the situation Rei finds himself in. The central struggle is that of Rei's tragic past (both from his original family and his adopted family) and how he tries to achieve happiness in the present, with help form Akari's family (in a way, his Present Family) and his new comrades in Shogi.

Kyoko is a bitch. An extremely effective one who derives greatest satisfaction when she can cause Rei to suffer, usually by guilt-tripping him over how screwed up she became. I don't get the impression that she has feelings for Rei. Whether Rei has romantic feelings towards her is ambiguous; something ranging from a childhood crush to a familial sense of obligation/responsibility, that he screwed up her life, or something. In addition, she leeches off of him because she fell out with her father over her loose life style. About the only redeeming point Kyoko has is that she's aware of how screwed up her life is.

Frankly, I never expected to dislike a character this much when I pick up a Umino Chika story. A great character though.

Akari is as good a person as Kyoko is a bad one; they are polar extremes in behavior and outlook on life. One copes with grief by self-destructive/latching-on behavior, one copes by working hard in life and caring for others around her. If there's to be romance at all in this story I hope it occurs between Rei and Akari, but everything has been strictly platonic so far.
This is a pretty accurate assessment. Personally, I'm much more fascinated by Kyouko than Akari, and I love both equally. The things that Kyouko do to Rei are painful to read, but I can't help but falling in love with her character. "Redemption" moments for these character often carry very strong impact when they come, and I anxiously anticipate them.

PS: (Very off tangent) I just read a Doujin done by Umino Chika the other day (a Dead or Alive one, but their diguise names are Ayu, Morita and Mayama, and they had a threesome . The doujin was done while Honey and Clover was still on-going, and I wonder if we'll get the same treatment with Akari, Kyouko, and Rei
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 17:31   Link #23
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
PS: (Very off tangent) I just read a Doujin done by Umino Chika the other day (a Dead or Alive one, but their diguise names are Ayu, Morita and Mayama, and they had a threesome . The doujin was done while Honey and Clover was still on-going, and I wonder if we'll get the same treatment with Akari, Kyouko, and Rei
Yeah I remember that doujin I was like "wtf!? what are the Honey and Clover characters doing here?"

Do you by any chance know the name of that doujin? It's been years since I last saw it...
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 18:08   Link #24
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Yeah I remember that doujin I was like "wtf!? what are the Honey and Clover characters doing here?"

Do you by any chance know the name of that doujin? It's been years since I last saw it...
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=10018

It's actually pretty exciting <__<
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 10:55   Link #25
Lilith
Your average fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.A.E. - Dubai
Age: 28
Umino Chika draws hentai?! I can't even imagine. Looking forward to see how much of a bitch Kyoko is~
__________________
I realized I have too many interests/ideas/emotions to convey in one sig.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 18:30   Link #26
Fevvers
a regular van veen
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=10018

It's actually pretty exciting <__<
Oh, man. I was curious and read it. *NEEDS BRAIN BLEACH*
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 23:59   Link #27
Falkor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
anyone still reading this? :P

anyway I just read chapter 17 and Kyoko is such an interesting character. She appears abusive, cynical, manipulative, arrogant, but there's something about the bluntness of her words that really attracts me. I have to love her smile for some reason, or the way she finds pleasure intruding into Rei's life. She seems to play with his feelings, but her ambiguous behavior and her attitude towards him (which is a strange mix of "kindness" and manipulation) might hint at much deeper layers about her character. There's something mysterious and yet fascinating about the relationship of these two. I can tell it's quite complex, but it doesn't quite revolve around romance, yet (?). if there's a pairing I'm shipping for, it might be this one, though.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-30, 15:53   Link #28
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
17 was definitely one of my favorite chapter, though the manga is all the way up to 49 now ... emotions got built up even more with the new Shogi players and things got even more complicated.

Chapter 18 is going to be out soon ... I think. SCX went on semi hiatus (all project are on hold except for this one) and everyone in BWYS are super busy as well.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-30, 17:11   Link #29
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Yes, yes, this is quite the lovely tale. I haven't read chp 17 since it released, but Kyoko was definitely complex. At first she seemed kinda abusive, but there were moments that showed she legitimately cares about him. While I DO prefer characters with(in a serious light) a negative demeanor, I still like Akari best, even if she's just too much sugar and not enough spice .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fal View Post
.....if there's a pairing I'm shipping for, it might be this one, though.
I don't know about this. While it's quite interesting to see characters psychologically pushed around in a serious perspective, I don't think she's good for Rei. I think the chemistry between them would be intriguing, moreso than Rei and Akari, but kinda dangerous for Rei's state of mind. This manga has always given me the impression that it's about a melancholy, depressed boy who slowly finds Solace[har] in the heart of a struggling, but warm family. It was Akari who somewhat alleviated the negative aura and embraced Rei in that familial warmth. To me, Kyoko just seems like a person that will stifle and suffocate Rei's existence, even if she really loves him.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:09   Link #30
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Spoiler for Size:


SO. VERY. VERY. HAPPY~!!!!!!

Congratulation Umino-sensei!!!

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2014-08-12 at 00:13.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 23:49   Link #31
Dorsai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poland
Age: 29
It will be better if things between Akari and Rei stay like are they now- close family, but without any romantic feelings... This manga is really unique with relations between characters like this... It will be better if this manga will not change into another schematic romance with love triangle... And relationship between Kyoko and Rei is unique too... Better if this one will develop more...
Dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 18:26   Link #32
achirist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: US
I've just read the entire manga thus far, and I really love Umino's signature melancholy and sensitivity in this new story. I feel strongly for Rei, in his journey of trying to figure out his place in the world.

I don't think that Kyoko's vicious, manipulative nature could ever be good for Rei, and I'm glad he feels strong enough to resist her influence in his life. Regardless of her intentions, she cannot bring anything beneficial to his life at this point.
__________________
Can you hear it? The true melody.

Last edited by achirist; 2011-05-14 at 20:32.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 16:54   Link #33
M.Marangio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Congratulation Umino-sensei!!!
Not only for the Manga Taishō award, but also for the (shared) Kodansha Manga Award 2011 in the general category http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...a-manga-awards.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 13:53   Link #34
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
What a shame we've had no translations for such a long time.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 23:39   Link #35
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Soon to be 2 years since last post, the translation group has made decent progress since then. I am not sure if I'm around when Chapter 36 gets released (still quite a bit of time I think, but one of my favorite chapter!), but the raw is up to 89 now (Hina's new haircut's cute , though Kyoko hasn't been the focus for too long ).

There're really cool commercials for the released of volume 8 that I posted elsewhere back last December. Literally all star team that featured a famous author + a famous VA (Nisio + Sugita for one combo).
Do check it out if you haven't already. Link: http://3lion.younganimal.com/vol8/
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 20:32   Link #36
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I know that Umino sensei is quite an otaku, and she's close with Hachiclover's cast + Nakamura and Yasumoti, but to think they will do CM like this using those seiyuu? Color me surprised
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 18:24   Link #37
achirist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: US
I wonder if Gatsu No Lion is going to end at ten volumes like H&c did? If so, we'll probably see an anime before the rest of this is scanlated.
__________________
Can you hear it? The true melody.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 00:26   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Sangetsu no Lion has won the 2014 Tezuka Cultural Award, the top prize in manga. Congrats to Chika-sensei. Now - give us our anime adaptation already!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 02:55   Link #39
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Recognizing the sheer difficulty of this being picked up by any fan translators -- the dense text, the high level kanji, the poetic monologues, Umino Chika's flowery, light-penned art, and the complex rules of shogi, to start with -- I still don't understand why no official licensors stepped forward. Is the manga industry in the English-speaking world that dead? Honey & Clover was big and commercially successful, and this is universally critically acclaimed. It should be number one priority outside of the obvious Jump commercial works.

I want to buy it, dammit.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 08:21   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I really think the demise of Borders has had a profound and devastating impact on the E-L manga market.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.