AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-07-28, 10:10   Link #1
Token-Blackguy
Pimptastic McNasty

Send a message via AIM to Token-Blackguy
Question Buggeration!Download Problems

I read the slow download thread 3 times, and for some reason, things seem to go right to hell.

I recently discovered the use of Bit Torrent (Thats what i got, bit torrent, not tornado aranything like that) And tried going for the big packs of anime. After i located a beginner series set(for some reason, al the 1st eps. and 1-ect. sets NEVER have any seeds) I began to download.

Currently i have 9 downloads and 2 uploads going, not counting the traffic i have through Kazaa. And this i where the big mess hits...

Some of my downloads look out like:

Upload-8 and Download-3

others look like:

Upload-18 Download-2 or even 0

some are BOTH 00

Some are like- Downlod 12 Upload-1

Now i feel i have a basic grasp of the concept of this software, but How am i going to get these files, as the projected download times range from 44 hours to 1,240 hours? I wouls try to restart the downloads, but i have gotten these torrents from a wide range of sites, and i have NO faith i would be able to locate the exact torrents again.

I am running on a 100 mbps broadband connection, and i tested my internet speed with all my downloads going full pelt an came out at about 800.

At the double sero dowloads, they still hold a projected download time, but how am i going to dl it if there are no seders, and how will there be if there are no people who hae finished downloding and still have their window up? And this arises another question; If i double zero, its it pointless to keep the torrent open? I am unsure because the downloads fluctuate wildly and even DL-0 and UL-4's have changed to UL-2 and DL-12's.

The reason i am dowloading so much a one time is that once i realised who long the downloads would take, i need to get as much as i can. When i am on duty during the year, i hae no access to anime series, and i must stockpile as much as i can during my leave. I got my broadband working 2 days ago and i have downloads that are claked up to finish ONE DAY before my leave ends. And still, the dl's fluctuate.

My first idea of how to right this was to find the most crowded and congested torrents from a very popular site which has constant amounts of people seeding ang leehing to statistically raise my chances of getting a good torrent. Howeer this would mean all my pervious downloads would be gone and i would be risking even greater disaster and could walk away with nothing.

Cross, confused, and in need of assistance,-
Token
Token-Blackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 18:02   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

okay.... let's try this. First uninstall your BitTorrent client and then get BitTornado. Install BitTornado in its place.

Now choose one torrent to download and only one. Since I want to make sure it is a torrent with plenty of ul/dl try this one: PoT 124. Make sure it is the only thing you are uploading or downloading on your system because we want to limit the number of possible variables.

Now set the upload speed to automatic. That is the little drop-down window in the lower left. This will automatically compensate in case your upload is capped.

The download window should look something like this:

Take a good look at the status light in the upper-right hand corner. It should turn green after a short time. If it stays yellow then your problem is the firewall or router. After a little while it should look something like this:

And finally if you wait long enough it will start to download with some real speed. If this works then your problem was probably the upload limit. If you upload too much on an asymetrical connection then it will limit your download. Fortunately BitTornado can automatically fix that problem.

Maybe after 10 minutes it will look something like this:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 18:33   Link #3
Edgewalker
Nani ?

If you are using a router its easier to use azureus , and its not a good idea to have more then one torrent running .

Quote:
Now i feel i have a basic grasp of the concept of this software, but How am i going to get these files, as the projected download times range from 44 hours to 1,240 hours? I wouls try to restart the downloads, but i have gotten these torrents from a wide range of sites, and i have NO faith i would be able to locate the exact torrents again.
You mean you cant find the torrents online again ? You can download the actual torrent to your computer by right clicking rather then just opening it so you dont have to go back to the same site each time . The .torrent file itself is often no more then 4 kb ... I have a special folder on my computers just for torrent files . Sorry if you mean something else .
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 22:32   Link #4
Token-Blackguy
Pimptastic McNasty

righ
t, i will get on it straight away, thak you for your help. one problem though, Bit tornado wont download! Perhaps there is another torrent client
Old 2004-07-29, 00:32   Link #5
Token-Blackguy
Pimptastic McNasty

Strange, the torren s downloading like crazy, but the light is still yellow...
Old 2004-07-29, 02:14   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

With a torrent as active as this one it is possible to get a good download even if you are firewalled. At least we know that BT will work for you if you can take care of the problem. Now that we know what your problem is we can start to help you. I'd suggest that you open up ports 6881-6889 on your firewall and on your router if you have one. When you can get a green light, you'll know that your ports are all open.

Also, Windows has a firewall built in that might be blocking you. To get rid of it follow the instructions here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...e_firewall.asp. (Note that this link will not work in Opera unless you identify as anything other than Opera.)

Just for kicks I created a picture to illustrate removing the WindowsXP Firewall:

Click on thumbnail for full size version.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-07-29 at 02:44.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 03:04   Link #7
Harogenki
Victim of Zeta Reticulins

Send a message via AIM to Harogenki
I haven't gotten many torrents from the site, but when I did it was so slow my PC was on for days downloading, I feel your pain lol. Not to mention since I have cable people uploading got like 30 kb Ha... lucky them.
Harogenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 18:57   Link #8
Token-Blackguy
Pimptastic McNasty

right

My windows firewall are unchecked, but how do i open those portsS

Bugger, double post. Delete plz?

Last edited by Token-Blackguy; 2004-07-29 at 19:02. Reason: double post
Old 2004-07-29, 19:00   Link #9
Token-Blackguy
Pimptastic McNasty

right

My windows firewall are unchecked, but how do i open those ports? I Dont believe have a firewall, and im not familiar with my connection (this is a relatives connection)
Old 2004-07-29, 22:48   Link #10
7thMethuselah

if you have the firewall unchecked, that means that all ports are open so nothing else you need to do.
However it's safer to keep the firewall up and open the specified ports.
How to do this:

1. Go back to the screen where you unchecked the firewall. See NoSanninWa's post for this

2. Check the firewall -> The firewall will be up again, and we are gonna open only the needed ports

3. At the bottom of this window is a button called settings which you can now press

4. This opens a new screen with advances settings for your firewall

5. Under the tab services you'll see a list of all ports that are open for your firewall, there should be only a handful of them.

6. Now you have to add ports 6881 - 6889 : click the add option : this gives a new window with a number of fields that have to be filled

- the first one (description) is the name, you can choose whatever you want but it's best to add the goal for this port so choose BitTorrent 6881 or something like that. A name like this will make it easier to find it back if you ever should need to.

- IP adress : write your Ip adres in this field

- 3rd and 4th : external and internal gate : write 6881 and choose TCP (not UDP)

7. Press ok, port 6881 is now opened. Repeat this procedure to add 6882-6889

8. When done close all screens pressing ok

Your fire wall is now enabled and your ports needed for BT are opened.

7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 05:49   Link #11
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
I wrote a "guide" for opening the ports yesterday. You can find it here. Take it with a grain of salt since I don't even know how a router looks like...
The port that is shown in the guide is 6881 which is Azureus' default incoming port and the first port in the port range of BitTornado.

If I remember correctly, you wanted to queue lots of downloads. BitTornado is not suited for that since you cannot specify how many simultaneous downloads you want to have and it looks like a mess with 10+ opened windows.
I recommend you to use Azureus (see the link in my signature for download links and a guide).

BTW, NSW, what is the deal with Opera? I always thought it would be free but there is an ad-powered version and a paid version And, more importantly, is it easy to use and do IE plugins like Download Druid, Google Toolbar etc work with Opera as well? Can Opera access every site IE can?
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 12:04   Link #12
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
BTW, NSW, what is the deal with Opera? I always thought it would be free but there is an ad-powered version and a paid version And, more importantly, is it easy to use and do IE plugins like Download Druid, Google Toolbar etc work with Opera as well? Can Opera access every site IE can?
Yes, I realize Im just helping to go way .

I was shocked too that someone would try and make me pay for a browser. Maybe no one ever told them about the GPL. It doesnt even have an Adblock feature, not to even mention the plethora of other extentions I use with FireFox such as Sage and Moji.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 09:44   Link #13
Token-Blackguy
Pimptastic McNasty

Quote:
type 'admin' orf if that doesnt work get somebody who knows
no joy, mate.
i did the whole 'windows firewall' bit, and the lights still havent turned green.