AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-23, 03:27   Link #41
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 25
Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Hoho! Can't say no to meat. Especially chicken meat, love that one more than anything.

Oh god...now I'm getting hungry by just reading this thread.
__________________
:3
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 03:28   Link #42
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
Although I have many environmentalists in my household who tend to reduce their meat cravings to the minimum, I personally just can't live without it for a long period of time. They influenced me enough not to eat beef or pork too often, but their influences also made me a bigger hate target to the animal loving vegans/vegetarians. The reason being that I absolutely love horse meat, which tends to be quite a great taboo, although it really depends where you live. Another weird one I love is kangaroo meat, very healthy.
Hmmm, never had horse meat. I did have duck meat _and found it more than exquisite_ but I guess that's pretty popular. We have a horse meat vendor near to where I live in Sicily but I never tried going there. And you're officially the first person I've ever known to have eaten Kangaroo meat. I've never met a single australian person who actually had that according to my knowledge (I'm guessing that's where you're from since you mentioned it). What's that taste like iyho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
!!!

I have that one in my motivationals album. Good move.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 03:30   Link #43
Uchiha Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
i eat meat (not all kinds bcoz of the taste) but my fav is chicken
i eat egg, drink milk and adore cheese i cant imagine a meal without a cheese


Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I am curious what religion forbids eating all meat?
well wiki says: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...m_and_religion
Uchiha Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 03:31   Link #44
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Age: 25
you should try kangaroo meat sometime its suprisingly good.
__________________
Full Metal Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 03:39   Link #45
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I eat a lot of meat. In fact I love meat. I['m a muslim, though, so it has to be halal
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 03:43   Link #46
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I eat a lot of meat. In fact I love meat. I['m a muslim, though, so it has to be halal
Yeah, why is that? I've always been wondering.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 03:44   Link #47
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Discuss!
!!!!

Quote:
Do you eat meat? Or are you a vegetarian, or a vegan? If you don't eat meat, is it a preference thing? Do you just not like the taste of it, or is it a moral stance you take? Do you believe it's cruel and unnecessary for humans to use animal-derived products?
I eat meat. Not all, because I have also my taste preferences. For example, tried horse meat once, I didn't like.

I cook a lot, so.................... well meat are part of a lot of dishes that I would be sad to not be able to cook

However, since I am very careful about my figure, I don't eat meat all the time, and i prefer lean cuts of meat

Anyway, I also prefer to buy what I consider quality biological products, and actually, they are not always more expensive than the random products from the supermarket -but BE CAREFULL, they are a lot of vicious sharks who will sell you mass-produced / bad products as if it was biological. In France, be careful, especially about the eggs. Do not think that because you go to the market, that all those people sell good products/food. ) . Whatever what some people say here in France, a chicken from a classical farmhouse tastes better, and the meat has not the same consistency. And has less fat. Better for the health, and better for cooking.

(Infos for the french, ALWAYS look at the code on the eggs, because many escrocs will sell you supposed biological/plein air eggs, while it comes from mass-produced exploitations.

Les codes sur l'œuf

Code 0 : œuf bio <<<<<<<<< good
Code 1 : œuf plein air <<<<<<< good
Code 2 : œuf au sol
Code 3 : œuf de batterie <<<<<<<<< bad (and a LOT of people will sell you that as if it was 0 or 1, so check what number is on the eggs)

)



So I am careful about what I buy. I actually buy many products (some meat, and more importantly, fruits and vegetables. And also eggs (can't eat eggs from the supermaket, the taste is not good)) from a person who comes selling his products that come from his farmhouse.

Quote:
I don't think this is cruel or have any problem with it. All life must kill in order to live. As long as we make sure the animals are treated and slaughtered humanely, I fail to see an issue with it.
For some people who think animals and human are on an equal ground, it just sounds cruel.

Think about that... what would you think if the aliens invade the Earth and use the humans as pieces of meat, that they start raising in some sort of farms. Now, wonder if you would feel happy to be just a piece of meat. For some people, it's a huge morals issue.

Quote:
Now the meat industry, I have quite a few problems with it. Specifically, I'm not very fond of cramming them into small cages and pumping them full of chemicals in order to make them grow much larger and much faster than normal.
Yes. I had a discussion a few months back with Kusa-san about that. Now in France, at least some people start doing some reporting about what they do.

They are many dangerous companies in France, but not only. I wish I could post the reporting about spanish strawberries and tomatoes (you would not eat those products if you knew what they use to make it grow. And worse of it, when it enters France, laboratories mostly not report the dangerous products. There are people whop make a lot of money... so they just shut up). Or about, for example, what an austrian business man does in some eastern european countries.

Quote:
"Altered" meats usually don't taste as good as more naturally-raised livestock. As a person who has spent most of her adult life working as a cook, the loss of quality from "mass-produced" meat products is deplorable.
Yes. And that reminds me. I did recently watch a reporting about the mass-produced spicy sausages. That was........ I'll try to find it on dailymotion, even if it's in French.

Quote:
For instance, the cheapest type of chicken available is often soggy and tasteless. Free-range, organic chicken may be smaller in breast size, but the meat will be much more flavorful and of a much higher general quality. In my experience this translates to a much happier customer. Monster portions of tasteless food don't satisfy nearly as well as modest portions of delicious food, after all.
Problem is, in France, many people are used to such meats and products (eggs, cheese etc.), and never really tasted what I call good food. That's only when they taste something that is better that they realize that what they were eating was bad.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 03:59   Link #48
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Yeah, why is that? I've always been wondering.
Well it's basically a muslims way of making sure the animal killed in most humane way possible, I think.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 04:10   Link #49
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well it's basically a muslims way of making sure the animal killed in most humane way possible, I think.
Right, because I hear it has to do with the fact that it's forbidden for muslims to have blood, meaning rare meat is forbidden. So the way you slaughter your animals drains as much blood from them as possible, amirite?
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 04:13   Link #50
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Anyway, I also prefer to buy what I consider quality biological products, and actually, they are not always more expensive than the random products from the supermarket -but BE CAREFULL, they are a lot of vicious sharks who will sell you mass-produced / bad products as if it was biological.
It reminds me the reportage that I saw (don't remember if you saw it too ? ) where the seller said the egg was a "plein air" one then the woman saw the egg and say "Hey it's not true it's a code 3 !" and then the seller got angry and start to threaten the woman by tell her that he will throw the egg on her.....

Quote:
In France, be careful, especially about the eggs. Do not think that because you go to the market, that all those people sell good products/food. ) . Whatever what some people say here in France, a chicken from a classical farmhouse tastes better, and the meat has not the same consistency. And has less fat. Better for the health, and better for cooking.
True you need to be carful with what you buy.


Quote:

Les codes sur l'œuf

Code 0 : œuf bio <<<<<<<<< good
Code 1 : œuf plein air <<<<<<< good
Code 2 : œuf au sol
Code 3 : œuf de batterie <<<<<<<<< bad (and a LOT of people will sell you that as if it was 0 or 1, so check what number is on the eggs)

)
For the egg, you don't always need to look for the code. There is also the "Label rouge" which tell you that the egg is really good

Quote:
So I am careful about what I buy. I actually buy many products (some meat, and more importantly, fruits and vegetables. And also eggs (can't eat eggs from the supermaket, the taste is not good)) from a person who comes selling his products that come from his farmhouse.
Have you tried the Label Rouge one (for the egg ) ?



Quote:

Yes. I had a discussion a few months back with Kusa-san about that. Now in France, at least some people start doing some reporting about what they do.
Yep and it's really scandalous. For example, the cow have no space at all for moving, they walk on their escrement etc....And it's this kind of cow that consume 10.000 litre of water !


Quote:
They are many dangerous companies in France, but not only. I wish I could post the reporting about spanish strawberries and tomatoes (you would not eat those products if you knew what they use to make it grow. And worse of it, when it enters France, laboratories mostly not report the dangerous products. There are people whop make a lot of money... so they just shut up). Or about, for example, what an austrian business man does in some eastern european countries.
Yep and you need to see how they treat the people who work for them....What's funny is that the people who work on this kind of farming don't eat what they produce....
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 04:23   Link #51
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
It reminds me the reportage that I saw (don't remember if you saw it too ? ) where the seller said the egg was a "plein air" one then the woman saw the egg and say "Hey it's not true it's a code 3 !" and then the seller got angry and start to threaten the woman by tell her that he will throw the egg on her.....
Saw it, and I would have sent that escroc to jail.

Quote:
For the egg, you don't always need to look for the code. There is also the "Label rouge" which tell you that the egg is really good

Have you tried the Label Rouge one (for the egg ) ?
I think not, but I only trust the number on it. Every egg in France has to have a number on the shell, even those Label Rouge eggs. So look at it, it should be on it, that's the law.

Quote:
Yep and it's really scandalous. For example, the cow have no space at all for moving, they walk on their escrement etc....And it's this kind of cow that consume 10.000 litre of water !
And the chickens that lay eggs......... They have no space and they keep the light on even during the night, so they never sleep and continue laying eggs.

In the reporting, their wings started to rot and they had no feather anymore on most of their body........ that was horrible.

Quote:
Yep and you need to see how they treat the people who work for them....What's funny is that the people who work on this kind of farming don't eat what they produce....
Yes............ In the reporting about the spanish strawberries. That fat old pig who was the boss of the exploitation said that "women are better for this job (to pick up strawberries)" as if it was due to genetics so they were hiring a lot of women............ especially from eastern europe, many poor girls. And worse of all, one of them said it, that they even rape them and all

Last edited by Narona; 2009-10-23 at 04:40.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 04:24   Link #52
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Right, because I hear it has to do with the fact that it's forbidden for muslims to have blood, meaning rare meat is forbidden. So the way you slaughter your animals drains as much blood from them as possible, amirite?
Oh yeah, that too. I forgot about that.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 05:23   Link #53
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Saw it, and I would have sent that escroc to jail.
I will punch him first


Quote:
I think not, but I only trust the number on it. Every egg in France has to have a number on the shell, even those Label Rouge eggs. So look at it, it should be on it, that's the law.
Well, the egg with the "Label Rouge" on it are all code 1 But what you said about supetmarket egg make me wondering if you have eaten those with a code 1 or 0 ?

Quote:
And the chickens that lay eggs......... They have no space and they keep the light on even during the night, so they never sleep and continue laying eggs.



In the reporting, their wings started to rot and they had no feather anymore on most of their body........ that was horrible.

Seriously it makes me really seek. And it's the way of life of us Occidental people. There is nothing natural at all in this, nothing at all ! (d'où ma phrase dans ma signature )


Quote:
Yes............ In the reporting about the spanish strawberries. That fat old pig who was the boss of the exploitation said that "women are better for this job (to pick up strawberries)" as if it was due to genetics so they were hiring a lot of women............ especially from eastern europe, many poor girls. And worse of all, one of them said it, that they even rape them and all
And I heard it's the same in Alsace and it's even worse in Maroc....

That's why, us people, need to favour bio food or food with label such as "Label Rouge". It's really really important so if you can, do it.
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 05:50   Link #54
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
The unfortunate problem is that high-quality organic and free-range meats, dairy and eggs tend to be very expensive. This is not surprising, it requires more resources and more work to raise livestock in such a way.

You get what you pay for and nothing more. But not everyone can afford high-quality organic food. And some things, organic is not always better. Organic potatoes and onions seem silly--regular ones taste the same. Organic tomatoes, however, are much better than usual agribusiness tomatoes because they are not artificially turned red with ethylene gas.

It is more noticeable with meats, of course; even though the FDA has stated that hormonal supplements to livestock animals do not make the meat less healthy, it certainly does make the meat less tasty.

When your business is cooking food for restaurants, it is extremely important that the food tastes as good as possible. Eating out is expensive, and the economy is depressed right now. I'm sure cooks everywhere are walking on eggshells trying to make sure their dishes come out perfect every time, and not give the customers any reason to stop making purchases.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 05:51   Link #55
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
The reason being that I absolutely love horse meat, which tends to be quite a great taboo, although it really depends where you live. Another weird one I love is kangaroo meat, very healthy.
Yeah, it's a big taboo over here too.

Never tried it myself, though. As a matter of fact, I have never tried anything outside the usual meat.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 05:53   Link #56
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
The most unusual meat I have eaten is probably rattlesnake.

It does not taste like chicken. Everyone says everything "tastes like chicken" because the usual chicken you buy in the grocery store tastes like nothing. Rattlesnake tastes like... snake. The texture is somewhat like fish though, very light and flaky.

It's actually pretty good. ^^;
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 05:56   Link #57
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The most unusual meat I have eaten is probably rattlesnake.

It does not taste like chicken.

It tastes like... snake.
For one reason or another, snake meat is one type of meat I am most curious in trying. I live near the base of a mountain, wich has it's share of snakes; My friends and I sometimes joke about going hunting for some and then eat them.

Never had gone about doing it, though.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 06:05   Link #58
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The unfortunate problem is that high-quality organic and free-range meats, dairy and eggs tend to be very expensive. This is not surprising, it requires more resources and more work to raise livestock in such a way.
As I said everytime, it's also a matter of choice. Me, I chose to eat bio food etc..and so to take care as much as I can about my health. But it means that I don't spend my money on unnecessary thing (or only a little) .

Quote:
Organic potatoes and onions seem silly--regular ones taste the same. Organic tomatoes, however, are much better than usual agribusiness tomatoes because they are not artificially turned red with ethylene gas.
That's why it's better for your healh. They put many chimical product on the no bio food and it's not good at all for you.

Quote:

The most unusual meat I have eaten is probably rattlesnake.
Never eat that

But, as a french, I eat snail (and it's very very good ) and I have eaten frog but they have no taste at all
Quote:
It does not taste like chicken. Everyone says everything "tastes like chicken" because the usual chicken you buy in the grocery store tastes like nothing. Rattlesnake tastes like... snake. The texture is somewhat like fish though, very light and flaky.
So you mean that the usual chicken you buy in your grocery tastes like snake ?
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 06:09   Link #59
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Love meats , love fishs , love vegetables !

Well , LOVE FOODS !
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 06:21   Link #60
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Nooo, it's this kind of thread.
And it's my fault! xD

Anyway...
No, I don't eat meat.
There is no morally relevant difference between an animal possessing a central nervous system and a human being. People can roll their eyes at me all their want, but killing a sentient being is nothing short of murder to me.
However, since it's "normal" in our culture to eat the meat of animals, there is a difference between someone who murders humans for fun and someone who kills animals for the purpose of producing meat in my eyes. It's not like I see my friends and family as horrible human beings because they eat meat - I just believe they are being morally inconsistent and doing something that is terribly wrong, because we can survive without eating meat.
I also don't blame the few people who truly feel their life wouldn't be worth living without eating meat, since it's a vital interest against a vital interest (well, many vital interests), and we tend to put out own lives and those of our loved ones first.
__________________
"I think of the disturbance in Area 11 as a chess puzzle, set forth by Lelouch." - Clovis la Britannia

Last edited by Nogitsune; 2009-10-23 at 07:15.
Nogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.