AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-25, 09:27   Link #1
rainy849

Lightbulb Deep, dark, Lead Characters

Two of my favorite shows have been Darker than BLACK, and GunGrave. I loved these shows because of their main characters. Hei and Brandon Heat are both quiet, mysterious, deep (and hot!) protagonists that can really kick ass when they're willing. I want to watch more shows with lead characters like them... any ideas?
Old 2009-09-25, 10:18   Link #2
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

The only ones I can think of are Death Note, Texhnolyze and Wolf's Rain.
Old 2009-09-25, 11:05   Link #3
Scorch

Jin from Samurai Champloo fits into the quiet, mysterious, deep category. He's really lethal too.
Old 2009-09-25, 12:05   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I guess Chrome Shelled Regios fits that category. Although I felt they never did enough with the hero...

Might be worth checking out a few episodes I guess.

Hmm... what about Sagara from Full Metal Panic? It has quite a bit of comedy, but he is mysterious, and quite skilled. The Second Raid season also gets pretty dark- and if they ever get around to animating the rest of the books it will get even darker.
Old 2009-09-25, 17:51   Link #5
blewin

I second both Chrome Shelled Regios and Full Metal Panic. Definitely fit your description, though the settings aren't constantly "dark" as in Darker than Black. Other suggestions:

Persona Trinity Soul - the main three brothers.
Blood + - Haji

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-09-25, 21:09   Link #6
Macis

Texhnolyze, Definitely fits this description. A lot of the cast and especially the main characters are like what you described
Old 2009-09-25, 21:24   Link #7
Cipher

I thought Lelouch from Code Geass was pretty deep and dark.
Old 2009-09-25, 22:26   Link #8
ThoHell

GunXsword. You kind of have my taste. But I'll be honest though, the type of heroes that are dark/deep/ and somewhat evil are rare.
Oh no, my signature was 550 pixles wide and 474 KB. That's too big and it has been deleted by a forum mod, guess I didn't read the Forum Rules. If only I had paid attention I wouldn't have to deal with this irritation now.
Old 2009-09-26, 01:27   Link #9
velvet nightmare

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/darker-than-black

assassin that shows no emotions = win
Old 2009-09-26, 17:17   Link #10
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Code Geass comes to mind. Lelouch has a complex struggle in keeping his objectives clear.
AND I definitely recommend Blood+. Haji is less cold than Hei but pretty much the same quiet loner.
Old 2009-09-28, 14:43   Link #11
Arturro

Jin-Roh - Wolf Brigade - a very dark story with very dark and mysterious protagonist.
I second Technolyze.
Ergo Proxy - thought at firs dark and mysterious is female protagonist, in the middle we found that male protagonist is the one "dark and mysterious".

Old 2009-09-28, 15:41   Link #12
Moresca
Doing the time-warp

I'll throw the suggestion of Witch Hunter Robin into the mix. The second lead Amon fits quiet, mysterious, deep and adds some brooding. I would also consider him hot, ha ha. He furthermore is endued with some brains and can kick ass quite convincingly if he is in the mood.

You might want to check out some episodes and see if the rather slow pace of the narration and plot development suits your taste though.

And I too second Jin-Roh and Texhnolyze. But both are not what I would categorize under light entertainment. At least where Texhnolyze is concerned little me still is trying to interpret some explanation and sense into the end...

Last edited by Moresca; 2009-09-28 at 15:43. Reason: messed up grammar for the lose :P
Old 2009-09-28, 15:50   Link #13
White Manju Bun
Going to supermarket
*Author

How has no one mentioned Ghost Hunt!! Naru is the epitomy of mysterious (and he's hot)
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
Old 2009-09-28, 16:06   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought maybe Manju-san would mention the Apothecary in Bakeneko and Mononoke. I recall a couple of fan-girling posts from our beloved moderator about him. He's an awesomely powerful demon-slayer.
Old 2009-09-28, 16:10   Link #15
White Manju Bun
Going to supermarket
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought maybe Manju-san would mention the Apothecary in Bakeneko and Mononoke. I recall a couple of fan-girling posts from our beloved moderator about him. He's an awesomely powerful demon-slayer.
Ah I got so caught up in mentioning Naru I totally forgot about Kusuriuri-san But I second Bakeneko and Mononoke.
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
Old 2009-10-20, 05:57   Link #16
straferd
Toushi

There is no one darker than Lucy from Elfen Lied, I really recommend that if you want a anime/manga full of blood & gore but also some romance and tragedy.

Goddess: Kan'u
Favourites: 1. Lucy 2. Revy 3. Yomi 4. Nina Wng 5. Jo 6. Teresa 7. Saber 8. Shiki 9. Alphard 10. Chidori 11. Sousuke 12. Shana 13. Yin 14. Natsuki
Old 2009-10-20, 10:35   Link #17
Albafica
Pisces no saint

If you like story with revenge (for Gungrave), you can try Gankutsuou! Well there are Death Note or Code Geass .
Old 2009-10-20, 18:07   Link #18
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Blame! Dark Hair, quiet, mysterious, kick as-, it all fits. It is like Hei, except with a gun.
Old 2009-10-25, 14:51   Link #19
WolfbladeM

Zwei from Phantom Requiem of the Phantom cant believe nobody suggested him
Old 2009-10-26, 00:38   Link #20
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy849 View Post
Two of my favorite shows have been Darker than BLACK, and GunGrave. I loved these shows because of their main characters. Hei and Brandon Heat are both quiet, mysterious, deep (and hot!) protagonists that can really kick ass when they're willing. I want to watch more shows with lead characters like them... any ideas?
I would suggest Speed Grapher . Tatsumi Saiga is a very dark character with shades of grey . A chain smoking retired war photographer who is frustrated with his desk job as regular newspaper . By chance an event occurs which takes his life into overdrive . One girls freedom turns his life ito a never ending quest with perils .