AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-11-05, 17:10   Link #4581
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
still watching as things go along...apparently the shooter was killed by civilian police and is being said to be a retired major...Major Malik Hassan...and a converter to Islam...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 17:54   Link #4582
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
still watching as things go along...apparently the shooter was killed by civilian police and is being said to be a retired major...Major Malik Hassan...and a converter to Islam...
this just in from ABC news

Quote:
The suspected gunman was identified by ABC News as Major Malik Nadal Hasan.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-Texas, told Fox News that military sources informed her that the gunman was about to be deployed to Iraq.

The shooter was killed and two other suspects, who are also soldiers, have been apprehended, Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone said.

The general said there were "eyewitness accounts of more than one shooter," and the others were tracked to an adjacent facility.

Cone called the attack "a terrible tragedy, stunning." He said the community was "absolutely devastated."

President Obama called the Fort Hood shootings a "horrific outburst of violence."

"It if difficult enough to lose" soldiers overseas, but said it is "horrifying that they should lose their lives at an Army base in the U.S.," he said.
the fact that the shooter was a Muslim will turn this into a gigantic story.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 19:04   Link #4583
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
what trips me out...his name completely through me off when they showed his picture...he looks like a ordinary white guy...I know it's profiling...but I would of thought it was a middle eastern person.

what's even more crazy is that the guy is a Mental Health Professional for the ARMY and worked at Darnel Hospital in Fort Hood
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 19:20   Link #4584
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
got this on huffpo and this is the perpetrator!

mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 19:43   Link #4585
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
what trips me out...his name completely through me off when they showed his picture
Had the same feelings myself when I saw the picture. The name just didn't seem to fit the man.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 23:30   Link #4586
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Productivity gains may be bad for the jobless
Quote:
WASHINGTON – Companies across the economy are finding ways to do more with fewer workers, dimming hopes that hiring will take off anytime soon.
[...]
The good news for companies, though, may be bad news for the jobless. As long as companies can get their workers to produce more, they have little reason to hire — at least until consumer spending picks up. And the squeeze on incomes could depress consumer spending, putting the economic recovery at risk.
Given the number of free market believers in the U.S., if true, this could be a big problem for the decision makers in government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
still watching as things go along...apparently the shooter was killed by civilian police and is being said to be a retired major...Major Malik Hassan...and a converter to Islam...
Given that the shooter is apparently still alive (but wounded), we should get a better idea on why he shot up the hall in Fort Hood. Judging from a more recent AP article, it sounds like Hasan may have lost it more due to his coming deployment to Afghanistan rather than any religious beliefs.

I have to agree with mg1942 though; I would say that the fact that he's a Muslim will be played up by many news outlets over the next few days.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 23:47   Link #4587
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I was surprised when I heard the shooter was a psychiatrist. I mean I'd think someone in that kind of profession would be more aware of his own mental state and get help before something like that happened. Then again, his position might explain things a bit too. Working with soldiers who just came back from a war zone, hearing what they went through, then being about to be deployed himself. Something like that is bound to be stressful. Not that it excuses his actions, but it might explain why. Mental health care workers do need mental health care themselves after all.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 00:00   Link #4588
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
still watching as things go along...apparently the shooter was killed by civilian police and is being said to be a retired major...Major Malik Hassan...and a converter to Islam...
It seems he was not a converter to Islam, but rather a lifelong Muslim...at least judging by the interview Shep Smith had with Hassan's cousin.

Very strange case, though. He seems to have been quite desperate to stay out of the war(s), to the point where he finally just snapped. Not to make light of the situation, but I was immediately reminded of the so-called disgruntled mailmen when I first started watching/reading about this tragedy earlier today.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 00:56   Link #4589
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sochen Cave Palace
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
I have to agree with mg1942 though; I would say that the fact that he's a Muslim will be played up by many news outlets over the next few days.
Already tonight I saw a brief segment on CNN where a reporter talked about a conversation he had with one of Hasan's neighbors. She said that he lived with his brother and that his apartment door had some kind of cloth with "Muslim writing" on it.

I wonder if she saw something written in Italian would she have said it had "Christian writing" on it?

What's worse is that the reporter didn't have the good sense to report this in a less inflammatory (and obviously more accurate) way. Nor did the studio anchor seem to think there was anything wrong with the concept of "Muslim writing."
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 01:18   Link #4590
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Already tonight I saw a brief segment on CNN where a reporter talked about a conversation he had with one of Hasan's neighbors. She said that he lived with his brother and that his apartment door had some kind of cloth with "Muslim writing" on it.

I wonder if she saw something written in Italian would she have said it had "Christian writing" on it?

What's worse is that the reporter didn't have the good sense to report this in a less inflammatory (and obviously more accurate) way. Nor did the studio anchor seem to think there was anything wrong with the concept of "Muslim writing."
I've also been hearing claims that a witness said he was screaming things in Arabic. Now if that is true or not is yet to be seen and honestly it just seems like everyone is grabbing at anything that relates to him being a Muslim without first confirming if the info is true or not.

On another note something bothered me about the cousin who spoke to Sheperd Smith. There seemed to be a subtle underlying tone with the cousin that came across as a little belligerent & defensive. He made sure to say twice that the shooter was a "good American" which really ticked me off as it shows no class or compassion for the victims. It sounded like he was just making excuses for the Hassan and acting aggressive towards anyone that would impugn his reputation.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 01:18   Link #4591
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Already tonight I saw a brief segment on CNN where a reporter talked about a conversation he had with one of Hasan's neighbors. She said that he lived with his brother and that his apartment door had some kind of cloth with "Muslim writing" on it.

I wonder if she saw something written in Italian would she have said it had "Christian writing" on it?

What's worse is that the reporter didn't have the good sense to report this in a less inflammatory (and obviously more accurate) way. Nor did the studio anchor seem to think there was anything wrong with the concept of "Muslim writing."
You know what? Next we are going to have something written in Japanese had Haruhiism writing on it.

It is a pity there is no US law that prohibits inflammatory reporting by the media.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 01:36   Link #4592
Hage-bai
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 29
The guy is devout and was seemingly pissing his pants over the thought of going to Iraq or Afghanistan and potentially killing muslims by some second-hand accounts. He obviously chose his religion and his religious brothers over his comrades in arms and country.

He gonna wish he died a martyr in the base.
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 02:08   Link #4593
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
What's worse is that the reporter didn't have the good sense to report this in a less inflammatory (and obviously more accurate) way. Nor did the studio anchor seem to think there was anything wrong with the concept of "Muslim writing."
I already saw worse on Hannity. Ol ‘Boy was questioning a retired general (I think) that used to work with Hassan, and kept deliberately trying to get the retired army officer to claim that it was Hassan's faith that drove him to this tragedy (Hannity also led the questions trying to force the retired officer to paint Hassan as solely a Iraq/Afghanistan sympathizer). Quite dubious and quite silly. And, as has already been said, expect it to get worse, before it gets better (or at least back to the general msm style approach to the Islamic faith).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
On another note something bothered me about the cousin who spoke to Sheperd Smith. There seemed to be a subtle underlying tone with the cousin that came across as a little belligerent & defensive. He made sure to say twice that the shooter was a "good American" which really ticked me off as it shows no class or compassion for the victims. It sounded like he was just making excuses for the Hassan and acting aggressive towards anyone that would impugn his reputation.
While I definitely agree to an extent, mostly I thought that the cousin was trying to go out of his way to emphasize that religion/faith was not involved in this - that this was not a 'terrorist' plot or action.

That being said, he did just find out that a close relative had just gone on a shooting rampage, so you have to excuse some of his denial of the situation (and denial is exactly what he must be feeling right about now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hage-bai View Post
The guy is devout and was seemingly pissing his pants over the thought of going to Iraq or Afghanistan and potentially killing muslims by some second-hand accounts. He obviously chose his religion and his religious brothers over his comrades in arms and country.

He gonna wish he died a martyr in the base.
I haven't heard this at all. Did Hassan start speaking, or was a note found or something?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 02:39   Link #4594
Hage-bai
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 29
CNN interviewed a gas station or grocery store owner who recognizes the Major as a regular customer. There is footage of him dressed up on the day of the massacre in religious attire (this was all premeditated), and the owner recounts a recent conversation with the Major regarding the Major's said un-willingness to go to Iraq because he did not want to kill his fellow Muslims. Draw your own assumptions from this and other rumors circulating around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOeXzamxSk8
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 02:55   Link #4595
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hage-bai View Post
CNN interviewed a gas station or grocery store owner who recognizes the Major as a regular customer. There is footage of him dressed up on the day of the massacre in religious attire (this was all premeditated), and the owner recounts a recent conversation with the Major regarding the Major's said un-willingness to go to Iraq because he did not want to kill his fellow Muslims. Draw your own assumptions from this and other rumors circulating around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOeXzamxSk8
Huh. Sounds like someone should be thinking about starting a defamation lawsuit or two against the media - if not the guy giving the interview in the first place.

Hasan has not even given his statements to the investigators yet (that we know of), and he is already being prosecuted in the public's eye. At the moment, we just know that (1) Hasan was to be sent overseas to Afghanistan on tour by the Army, (2) he attacked troops in the Readiness Center, (3) Hasan has had arguments in the past with people who supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and (4) the Army is not even confirming as of yet if all of the deaths are attributable to Hasan or to friendly fire.

Yet instead of looking at his psych profile to see if this is more of a "disgruntled mailman" or a "hostile work environment" problem, which seems to be more likely, people are looking at religion instead.

Are there, at the least, concern for the dead and injured from the attack being reported in the news?
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 03:13   Link #4596
Hage-bai
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Huh. Sounds like someone should be thinking about starting a defamation lawsuit or two against the media - if not the guy giving the interview in the first place.

Hasan has not even given his statements to the investigators yet (that we know of), and he is already being prosecuted in the public's eye. At the moment, we just know that (1) Hasan was to be sent overseas to Afghanistan on tour by the Army, (2) he attacked troops in the Readiness Center, (3) Hasan has had arguments in the past with people who supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and (4) the Army is not even confirming as of yet if all of the deaths are attributable to Hasan or to friendly fire.

Yet instead of looking at his psych profile to see if this is more of a "disgruntled mailman" or a "hostile work environment" problem, which seems to be more likely, people are looking at religion instead.

Are there, at the least, concern for the dead and injured from the attack being reported in the news?
This is what the media does. The media is not just pushing solely the religion card if you watched the coverage. This one clip only suggested his motives behind not going to Iraq. The news has picked up this story for hours. Others have suggested the "hostile work environment" excuse. Much debate has already raged around this issue and the multliple causes for his violent outburst. The reason given in the clip i posted is one LEGIT possibility. The hostile work environment excuse is a slow starter because there simply isn't anyone to corroborate his cousin's statements (may still be true). Remember, this guy was a major and hence outranked 90% of his colleagues. Either there are cases of insurbordination in the army, or his superiors were making his life hell for him to go on a killing spree. Seems even less likely to me as the sole cause, but more likely as one of several reasons to go on a killing spree.

Of course news concerning the dead and injured has also been shown. Can't get too much info as the army hasn't released any names of victims.
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 11:23   Link #4597
Woopzilla
Desensitized
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LV-426
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Already tonight I saw a brief segment on CNN where a reporter talked about a conversation he had with one of Hasan's neighbors. She said that he lived with his brother and that his apartment door had some kind of cloth with "Muslim writing" on it.

I wonder if she saw something written in Italian would she have said it had "Christian writing" on it?

What's worse is that the reporter didn't have the good sense to report this in a less inflammatory (and obviously more accurate) way. Nor did the studio anchor seem to think there was anything wrong with the concept of "Muslim writing."
Yea, this had me face-palming. It's bad enough when the reporters don't pick up on it, but there's going to be people like that neighbour who will see the report and go: "Aha! There's the concrete proof! A cloth with muslim writing! An easy way to spot extremists!!!"

Reminds me of a script from Grand Theft Auto mocking such thoughts:
Spoiler for Some swearing:
__________________
Tsubasa Hanekawa of Bakemonogatari
Woopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 23:51   Link #4598
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
U.S. House of Representatives passes health care bill
Quote:
WASHINGTON In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Democratic-controlled House narrowly passed landmark health care legislation Saturday night to expand coverage to tens of millions who lack it and place tough new restrictions on the insurance industry. Republican opposition was nearly unanimous.
This is good that it passed, but the rather tight division along party lines may show, in future years, new legislation will be passed in this area, esp. if the majority party in Congress changes hands.

IMHO, it's also good to have the government subsidize those who cannot pay the premiums. It does mean the jobless rate - and related to it, the economy - will need to be lowered ASAP - unless the U.S. does want to turn into a 2nd Japan (high deficit), default (real or implied) or Zimbabwe (hyperinflation) over the next 1-2 decades. The real unemployment rate is now at 17.5%, and we are not at 2010 yet.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 00:36   Link #4599
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
Quote:
Republican opposition was nearly unanimous.
Republican's mad they can't have more money thrown at them? Though some Democrats are probably upset too...it worked with Hilary...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 04:58   Link #4600
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hage-bai View Post
This is what the media does. The media is not just pushing solely the religion card if you watched the coverage. This one clip only suggested his motives behind not going to Iraq. The news has picked up this story for hours. Others have suggested the "hostile work environment" excuse. Much debate has already raged around this issue and the multliple causes for his violent outburst. The reason given in the clip i posted is one LEGIT possibility. The hostile work environment excuse is a slow starter because there simply isn't anyone to corroborate his cousin's statements (may still be true). Remember, this guy was a major and hence outranked 90% of his colleagues. Either there are cases of insurbordination in the army, or his superiors were making his life hell for him to go on a killing spree. Seems even less likely to me as the sole cause, but more likely as one of several reasons to go on a killing spree.

Of course news concerning the dead and injured has also been shown. Can't get too much info as the army hasn't released any names of victims.
There's also some reports that he was being given anti-depressants because he was depressed. Some side effects of many of these medications can include violent outbursts and suicidal behavior. The "religion card" and other "explanations are just overwrought fake-news bullshit until the investigation is done.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.