AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-11-05, 16:26   Link #1
X10A_Freedom

MAC Address Monitoring

The place I live in has decided to start MAC address monitoring. I would like to know what that involves. My assumption is that, my bandwidth usage will be scrutinised, but is there anything more? How much would the network admin be able to see?

I consume moderate amounts of anime, around 1-2 episodes a week. Would switching exclusively to IRC help my quest, or am I simply out of options?
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 20:47   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
The router should show the MAC address to each client which is connected to the network wirelessly. This is a example:

Obviously, I had to white out the rest of the MAC Address. Each MAC Address are 6 Hexadecimal blocks long with two in each blocks. The Network Administrator or whoever controls the router can monitor the MAC addresses from the router from the administrative page or by a program.

I am assuming you are connecting to a router... but I don't think IRC can solve the problem or not since it's still using bandwidth, but not as much bittorrent would.
Old 2009-11-06, 05:31   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

MAC addresses are unique codes assigned to network equipment such as network cards (but also modems, routers, etc).

The method of downloading therefore doesn't really matter, they can track your traffic usage using the network card you are using. There are probably utilities for your network card to change the MAC address, but I would presume your network manager would build the network in such a way that only authorized MAC addresses get access to the internet.

As you don't have to upload back however, IRC would generate slightly less bandwidth usage.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 23:14   Link #4
X10A_Freedom

Thanks for the answers. I just watched video on YouTube nonstop for an hour to see how much bandwidth per hour is *reasonable*. 400mb max.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote