AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-11-08, 09:16   Link #4601
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Sesame Street: 40 and still counting
Why did Britain fall out of love with Sesame St?
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 11:53   Link #4602
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hage-bai View Post
This is what the media does.
Correction: That's what the media does in countries like the United States, where "freedom of expression" trumps sub judice.

Moving on...



It will be a battle the humans will never forget...

Quote:
Seoul (Nov 9): The South Korean government has declared a war of sorts on wild boars, which have made frequent appearances in residential towns over the past months.

According to the Environment Ministry's plans, hunters will be allowed to capture or kill 20,000 boars, or 50 per cent of the population in 19 hunting preserves across the country until February next year; the previous ceiling was 8,063. The maximum number of boars each hunter is allowed to seize has been doubled from three to six.

The total estimated number of wild boars in the country was 267,000 as of the end of last year, but only 4,000 or 1.6 per cent have been captured or killed so far, leaving an excessive number free, according to ministry data. "The density of the boar population has gone over its limit and it has become necessary for the government to step in and control the figures," said a ministry official.

Wild boars are threatening many cities and rural areas in South Korea because they breed very quickly, and also because of the disappearance of their predators such as tigers, leopards and wolves. Since 2005, there have been nearly 30 cases of wild boars attacking residents and citizens in the city, and the total crop damage last year was worth 6.5 billion won (US$6.2 million).

- THE KOREA HERALD, THE SEOUL TIMES
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 11:57   Link #4603
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
I would so buy that film again if it came out on Blu-ray.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 14:20   Link #4604
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler for Have they thought of shipping baby boars to be sold on J-list? They can make cute pets. :p:




And if the economic minister is any smarter to intervene, I predict a price freefall of pork on the world market.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 14:35   Link #4605
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Japanese protest against US base

Quote:
Organisers of the protest claimed 21,000 people took part.

Mayor of Ginowan, Yoichi Iha, told the rally: "I urge Prime Minister Hatoyama to tell President Obama that Okinawa needs no more US bases."

One protester, Yoshiko Yonamine, told AFP news agency: "Okinawans voted for the new administration, thinking it would remove the base from the island. I don't want it to betray us."
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 14:47   Link #4606
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Sadly he is serious. That guy might not be American, but the US has a lot of people like that actually. That's the kind of attitude that exists on the far right, like the "tea party" movement. Fortunately they're a fringe, unfortunately, they're trying to not be a fringe and make their views more common by corrupting the republican party and purifying it of "Republicans in name only", I.E. anyone who doesn't measure up to their standard of a "conservative".
Fortunately they're a fringe? You must not have seen the 1.5million + that showed up in Washington D.C. 9/12/09...

The fringe as you call it, are in the majority, and make up not just Republicans, but Independents and Democrats. Those that are for smaller Government at least...

The Fringe group, are the ones in Power right now, who are completely going against the wishes of the voters.
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 15:49   Link #4607
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Fortunately they're a fringe? You must not have seen the 1.5million + that showed up in Washington D.C. 9/12/09...

The fringe as you call it, are in the majority, and make up not just Republicans, but Independents and Democrats. Those that are for smaller Government at least...

The Fringe group, are the ones in Power right now, who are completely going against the wishes of the voters.
Um.... got a legitimate cite for that number? ... "fringe" seems to depend a lot on what part of the US one is standing... the "majority" also seems to depend a lot on where one is standing. I get a very different perspective on things when I visit my homeland of Texas and it varies considerably depending on where in the US I visit.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-11-08 at 16:32.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 16:14   Link #4608
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Fortunately they're a fringe? You must not have seen the 1.5million + that showed up in Washington D.C. 9/12/09...

The fringe as you call it, are in the majority, and make up not just Republicans, but Independents and Democrats. Those that are for smaller Government at least...

The Fringe group, are the ones in Power right now, who are completely going against the wishes of the voters.
I'm sorry but the only organizations promoting the 1.5 mil number are FOX News and the tea partiers. Even a picture some tried to put out to support their claim was proven to be a fake due to the buildings shown in the photo.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 16:18   Link #4609
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's also some reports that he was being given anti-depressants because he was depressed. Some side effects of many of these medications can include violent outbursts and suicidal behavior. The "religion card" and other "explanations are just overwrought fake-news bullshit until the investigation is done.
I have the feeling that this case is probably the result of a combination of factors, but of course which ones are deemed important will be an ideological concern for many.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 16:25   Link #4610
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Um.... got a legitimate cite for that number? ... "fringe" seems to depend a lot on what part of the US one is standing...
What number? The march on 9/12?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...#ixzz0R5CLNK7j

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...iew-lo-res.jpg

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/poli...obamacare.html

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/...arty091221.jpg

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/...y0912mkhsm.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ3nODc3Dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sjvc6baor8

Found these just using my favorite forum. I could find all sorts of other links for proof if you want it Vexx.

While the media was reporting 70k protesters, the video and pictures prove just how ridiculous that number is.
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 16:26   Link #4611
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
I'm sorry but the only organizations promoting the 1.5 mil number are FOX News and the tea partiers. Even a picture some tried to put out to support their claim was proven to be a fake due to the buildings shown in the photo.
False. I watched streaming video from news sites as the march happened live. Not to mention have spoken with people who were there and seen their videos and pictures.
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 16:37   Link #4612
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Seriously... have you ever been around 100K people? a million? Laypeople have a remarkable tendency to overestimate. 80,000 people in a stadium for a football game is huge... multiple that by 10+ stadiums and it is beyond most people on the ground to grasp.

Just to be clear... I think the gay rights march in DC was also seriously overestimated in size.

And then in the final analysis.... assume a million people concerned enough to show up. Allow for 10:1 ratio in complaining customers versus those who just don't come back as businesses do.... that's still 10 million people. The population of the US is around 300 million. That's about 3%?

Not saying there aren't a lot of legitimate concerns and a real fear that both sides of the aisle purely speak for the corporate overlords and not the people.... but a march says a lot less than people might think -- it just tends to reinforce their notion that their view is the Truth.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 16:59   Link #4613
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Seriously... have you ever been around 100K people? a million? Laypeople have a remarkable tendency to overestimate. 80,000 people in a stadium for a football game is huge... multiple that by 10+ stadiums and it is beyond most people on the ground to grasp.

Just to be clear... I think the gay rights march in DC was also seriously overestimated in size.

And then in the final analysis.... assume a million people concerned enough to show up. Allow for 10:1 ratio in complaining customers versus those who just don't come back as businesses do.... that's still 10 million people. The population of the US is around 300 million. That's about 3%?

Not saying there aren't a lot of legitimate concerns and a real fear that both sides of the aisle purely speak for the corporate overlords and not the people.... but a march says a lot less than people might think -- it just tends to reinforce their notion that their view is the Truth.
Yes I have. I've attended enough different events to know what 70 or 100k crowds look like and this completely dwarfs it. This went on for blocks in all directions.

And I can't believe you don't see the significance of a 1 million + person march on D.C., let alone all the other marches going on around the country. These marches have been going on for months. It wasn't just a one day, one place event.
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 17:20   Link #4614
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
^A million plus people protesting didn't end the Vietnam war (in fact, they hindered the end of the war considering the "silent majority" grew to hate protestors); a million plus protestors didn't guarantee gay rights or abortion right; the constant protests during G-20/G-8 conferences do very little if anything; and a million plus people (which did not occur, no matter how much you wish it to be) will not change anything in regards to the stimulus package or health care (I say this for both sides, not just the "tea baggers" or the "Guy Fawkers"), etc. Protests are great for showing that people care, but they are not reflective of anything in regards to the country as a whole. Protests do very little in politics, elections are all that matter.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 17:25   Link #4615
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Even if that number you cited was accurate, and it likely isn't, 1.5 million people in a nation of over 300 million IS a fringe, especially when you consider said people were bussed in from all over the country, and the whole thing was heavily promoted by fox news. So I stand by my statement. It's a fringe movement that does not even represent a majority of the right wing let alone Americans as a whole. If anything the recent elections should have been a sign of that as the democrats managed to gain a seat that had been republican since the civil war thanks to the tea party types running their own candidate on a third party which split the vote and the republican victories in Virgina and New Jersey were from candidates who ran more centerist campaigns.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 17:28   Link #4616
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Yes I have. I've attended enough different events to know what 70 or 100k crowds look like and this completely dwarfs it. This went on for blocks in all directions.

And I can't believe you don't see the significance of a 1 million + person march on D.C., let alone all the other marches going on around the country. These marches have been going on for months. It wasn't just a one day, one place event.
80k people, assuming that only a handful of them are severely obese, can roughly squeeze into 250189 sq metres, using the metrics w.r.t Beijing National Stadium, which seats 80k people comfortably minus off the tracks. 1.5mil means you need approx. 4691043.75 sq metres of space, about the size of 8.5 parks in Seattle,Washington or an entire business district in Singapore.

Actually I am surprised that people would actually go on a protest en-masse. Over here, there is no mass protest other than one which is attended by anime figurines over the past decade, even the locals chicken out from a "protest zone" set up courteously by our government at the IMF forum a few years back.

P.S At that number, if the protesters are better disciplined, given spears and shields and sent to Afghanistan, it would scare the living daylights out of the Taleban.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 17:34   Link #4617
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
80k people, assuming that only a handful of them are severely obese, can roughly squeeze into 250189 sq metres, using the metrics w.r.t Beijing National Stadium, which seats 80k people comfortably minus off the tracks. 1.5mil means you need approx. 4691043.75 sq metres of space, about the size of 8.5 parks in Seattle,Washington or an entire business district in Singapore.

Actually I am surprised that people would actually go on a protest en-masse. Over here, there is no mass protest other than one which is attended by anime figurines over the past decade, even the locals chicken out from a "protest zone" set up courteously by our government at the IMF forum a few years back.

P.S At that number, if the protesters are better disciplined, given spears and shields and sent to Afghanistan, it would scare the living daylights out of the Taleban.
Just about everyone protests in the US. It's a way to bring attention to their cause in the eyes of a politician.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 17:35   Link #4618
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Even if that number you cited was accurate, and it likely isn't, 1.5 million people in a nation of over 300 million IS a fringe, especially when you consider said people were bussed in from all over the country, and the whole thing was heavily promoted by fox news. So I stand by my statement. It's a fringe movement that does not even represent a majority of the right wing let alone Americans as a whole. If anything the recent elections should have been a sign of that as the democrats managed to gain a seat that had been republican since the civil war thanks to the tea party types running their own candidate on a third party which split the vote and the republican victories in Virgina and New Jersey were from candidates who ran more centerist campaigns.
The 'republican' that ran in District 23, was Democrat in everything but party affiliation. If you had looked at their voting record, it had nothing to do with the Republican Party. Pro Union, Pro taxes, Pro Universal Healthcare, etc.

The 3rd party candidate had only been around 30 days and only lost by 3%. Hell the GOP Leaders in NY hand-picked their nominee, the voters didn't even have a say.

Hoffman will win as a Republican in 2010 in that district. Count on it.

After seeing all of the pictures, I can't believe the responses in here. -shakes his head-

I post links, and all I hear from you is opinions.
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 17:45   Link #4619
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
The 'republican' that ran in District 23, was Democrat in everything but party affiliation. If you had looked at their voting record, it had nothing to do with the Republican Party. Pro Union, Pro taxes, Pro Universal Healthcare, etc.

The 3rd party candidate had only been around 30 days and only lost by 3%. Hell the GOP Leaders in NY hand-picked their nominee, the voters didn't even have a say.

Hoffman will win as a Republican in 2010 in that district. Count on it.

After seeing all of the pictures, I can't believe the responses in here. -shakes his head-

I post links, and all I hear from you is opinions.
So basicly you're claiming she wasn't Republican enough? You don't see the problem there?

Also your pictures do not support claims of 1.5 million people. You're off by an order of magnitude. And once again, even if that was right, 1.5 million people is still a fringe in a nation of over 300 million.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 17:47   Link #4620
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
The 'republican' that ran in District 23, was Democrat in everything but party affiliation. If you had looked at their voting record, it had nothing to do with the Republican Party. Pro Union, Pro taxes, Pro Universal Healthcare, etc.

The 3rd party candidate had only been around 30 days and only lost by 3%. Hell the GOP Leaders in NY hand-picked their nominee, the voters didn't even have a say.

Hoffman will win as a Republican in 2010 in that district. Count on it.

After seeing all of the pictures, I can't believe the responses in here. -shakes his head-

I post links, and all I hear from you is opinions.
A picture may say a thousand words, but it isn't fixed. Neither is perception of a certain publication. After all, their purposes are served to present descriptions for a person to craft an opinion, than argue it into a fact through agreement from the listeners. That is why a fact, to put it in a logical sense, is simply an argument agreed upon by the majority.

Kamui is just viewing it from another perspective. Don't discredit him for that.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.