AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-11-08, 07:22   Link #3281
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I have a silly question: Why doesn't AnimeSuki have a Facebook fan page? I want to become a fan! w
They already have a twitter page?
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 15:28   Link #3282
AisuruMirai
箱者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
When I tell someone that I'm a vegetarian, it's not unusual for the person to ask if I eat fish. Why is it that some people consider fish to be something other than meat? I can understand why someone would say that eggs aren't meat. Or that insects or weird things like that aren't. But the fish thing makes no sense to me. How is "meat" conceptualized by someone who thinks of fish as outside of the category?
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 15:47   Link #3283
mit7059
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AisuruMirai View Post
When I tell someone that I'm a vegetarian, it's not unusual for the person to ask if I eat fish. Why is it that some people consider fish to be something other than meat? I can understand why someone would say that eggs aren't meat. Or that insects or weird things like that aren't. But the fish thing makes no sense to me. How is "meat" conceptualized by someone who thinks of fish as outside of the category?
It's because there are a lot of people who call themselves 'vegetarian' who eat fish. Fish are often seen to be lower lifeforms than say cows or chickens because they don't seem to have emotions etc. Also a large number of 'vegetarians' don't eat meat for supposed health and or environmental reasons instead of moral reasons, and fish is better in that regard compared to red meat. Fish really isn't considered to be meat, it's considered to be sea food. And while both were once living and they're both protein I don't consider them to be the same thing at all. I'm not a vegetarian, I love meat, I hate seafood.
__________________
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit ~Coach Davids

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 17:36   Link #3284
AisuruMirai
箱者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
It's because there are a lot of people who call themselves 'vegetarian' who eat fish.
Certain self-proclaimed vegetarians may eat fish, but I'm asking why they don't think of it as meat. It's not "not meat" simply because self-proclaimed vegetarians eat it. By that logic, beef is not meat if self-proclaimed vegetarians eat it.

Quote:
Fish are often seen to be lower lifeforms than say cows or chickens because they don't seem to have emotions etc.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that cows, chickens, pigs, goats, or whatever mammal or bird has emotions as we commonly define them. Additionally, I don't think you can define the word "meat" as "the flesh of an animal that seems to have emotions, etc." Or can you?

Quote:
Also a large number of 'vegetarians' don't eat meat for supposed health and or environmental reasons instead of moral reasons, and fish is better in that regard compared to red meat.
I don't think that people conceptualize or define "meat" by health effects & environmental impact.

Quote:
Fish really isn't considered to be meat, it's considered to be sea food. And while both were once living and they're both protein I don't consider them to be the same thing at all.
So why not? Is it because it comes from the water? Is a manatee seafood?
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 18:25   Link #3285
mit7059
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 25
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat
Quote:
The word meat is also used by the meat packing industry in a more restrictive sense—the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, etc.) raised and prepared for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish and poultry.
Also from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_(food)
Quote:
Vegetarians normally don't eat fish, and usually consider that fish is meat, since it is the flesh of an animal.

However, pescetarians eat fish and other seafood, but not mammals and birds. The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term "pescetarian" to 1993 and defines it to mean: "one whose diet includes fish but no meat."[8] Pescetarians may consume fish based solely upon the fact that the fish are not factory farmed as land animals are (i.e., their problem is with the capitalist-industrial production of meat, not with the consumption of animal foods themselves).[9] Some eat fish with the justification that fish have less sophisticated nervous systems than land-dwelling animals. Others may choose to consume only wild fish based upon the lack of confinement, while choosing to not consume fish that have been farmed.
And for a more traditionalist view on why certain opinions might be held, the religious aspect.
Quote:
Religious rites and rituals regarding food also tend to classify the birds of the air and the fish of the sea separately from land-bound mammals. Sea-bound mammals are often treated as fish under religious laws - as in Jewish dietary law, which forbids the eating of whale, dolphin, porpoise, and orca because they are not "fish with fins and scales"; nor, as mammals, do they "cheweth the cud and divideth the hoof." (Leviticus 11:9-12) Jewish (kosher) practice treat fish differently from other animal foods. The distinction between fish and "meat" is codified by the Jewish dietary law of kashrut, regarding the mixing of milk and meat, which does not forbid the mixing of milk and fish. Modern Jewish legal practice (halakha) on kashrut classifies the flesh of both mammals and birds as "meat"; fish are considered to be parve, neither meat nor a dairy food.

Seasonal religious prohibitions against eating meat do not usually include fish. For example, meat was forbidden during Lent and on all Fridays of the year in pre-Vatican II Roman Catholicism, but fish was permitted (as were eggs). (See Fasting in Catholicism.) In Eastern Orthodoxy, fish is permitted on some fast days when meat is forbidden, but stricter fast days also prohibit fish with spines, while permitting invertebrate seafood such as shrimp and oysters, considering them "fish without blood."[citation needed]

Some Buddhists and Hindus (Brahmins of West Bengal and Saraswat Brahmins of the Konkan) abjure meat, but not fish. Muslim (halaal) practice also treats fish differently from other animal foods.
At the end of the day everyone is going to have a different opinion, especially when it comes to such a touchy subject as vegitarianism. I think what people are asking you when they ask you 'Do you eat fish?' is 'Are you a vegetarian or a pescetarian?' because I'm guessing (and I've encountered) pescetarians who will introduce themselves as vegetarians because they don't want to have to explain the difference to people.
__________________
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit ~Coach Davids

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 19:44   Link #3286
Bad Romance
Dancing in the dark/
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 25
Why isn't there a SAILOR MOON sub forum in the anime section? =(
Bad Romance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 20:55   Link #3287
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
The staffs opens a forum when they see or expect that an anime will generate enough traffic to make a forum useful. User requests have no influence on the decision.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 08:23   Link #3288
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Ok, new silly question, silly question =)

Why general population want to have a 6-pack abs?
You don't need a clear 6-pack to have a strong rectus abdominis muscle.... Also when i think about it, it's quite useless, unless you learn martial art and need a strong muscle to protect your stomach. Then unless you like swimming or walk around shirtless, it's not visible most of the time anyway

My biggest guess is because it's one of the milestone for people to achieve (much like dunk in basketball)
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 08:34   Link #3289
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Ok, new silly question, silly question =)

Why general population want to have a 6-pack abs?
You don't need a clear 6-pack to have a strong rectus abdominis muscle.... Also when i think about it, it's quite useless, unless you learn martial art and need a strong muscle to protect your stomach. Then unless you like swimming or walk around shirtless, it's not visible most of the time anyway

My biggest guess is because it's one of the milestone for people to achieve (much like dunk in basketball)
It looks cool. Disagree?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 09:25   Link #3290
AisuruMirai
箱者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
Quote:
Religious rites and rituals regarding food also tend to classify the birds of the air and the fish of the sea separately from land-bound mammals.
I see. I was unaware of any religious aspect to the question, but that makes sense in a way--"God said so, so that's what I believe"--as illogical as it is. & apparently "vegetarians" who eat fish don't think of fish of something as other than meat, but rather as fitting outside the category of "animals that I don't eat because they discernibly suffer when people kill them". Interesting. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Ok, new silly question, silly question =)

Why general population want to have a 6-pack abs?
It's hot. Really hot. It's all about sex, in the end. Hmmm... Awkward phrasing... But, being in America, I disagree with the "general population" part of the question. This is the fattest nation in the world, so I'm pretty sure that the general population here wants a six-pack of another sort.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 13:18   Link #3291
Kakashi
カカシ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Why general population want to have a 6-pack abs?
You don't need a clear 6-pack to have a strong rectus abdominis muscle.... Also when i think about it, it's quite useless, unless you learn martial art and need a strong muscle to protect your stomach. Then unless you like swimming or walk around shirtless, it's not visible most of the time anyway

My biggest guess is because it's one of the milestone for people to achieve (much like dunk in basketball)
Not many people want bodybuilder-like sixpacks (hypertrophy, you're trying too hard), but most everyone wants to look lean and somewhat muscular. The best way to this is to become fit and in the process remain within a healthy weight range, because a sixpack will show on someone who's not overweight regardless of whether they do crunches every night or not.

Aesthetically guys do all this to impress girls, which is half the reason we breathe.

But generally a more distinct sixpack means stronger abdominal muscles and therefore greater core strength, imperative for athletes.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 14:01   Link #3292
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Ok, new silly question, silly question =)

Why general population want to have a 6-pack abs?
You don't need a clear 6-pack to have a strong rectus abdominis muscle.... Also when i think about it, it's quite useless, unless you learn martial art and need a strong muscle to protect your stomach. Then unless you like swimming or walk around shirtless, it's not visible most of the time anyway
Eh. If I had a six-pack, I might take up "walking around shirtless" as a hobby.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 17:20   Link #3293
Mi-Roo
Lovable Loli
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: deviantART
I had a silly question last night...
It was answered along something like this...

Elda: *Walks into living room* Ohhh, whachu watchin'?
Mother: The movie Piranha.
Elda: Oh I see...

*Without thinking**Knows She's seen it before*

Elda: Isn't this movie about the evil piranha?
Mother: ........I would think so, yes.
Elda: What? Why the stare?

*5 minutes pass*

Elda:*Blush*.....Ohhhhh. Eheheh.... .////.;;;



So here is a question for the sake of the thread.
.....Will scientests ever discover a way to enlarge things
like fruit and other foods? I'd die from happiness from a
jumbo strawberry cheese cake. Yummy~ <3
Mi-Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 02:27   Link #3294
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elda View Post
So here is a question for the sake of the thread.
.....Will scientests ever discover a way to enlarge things
like fruit and other foods? I'd die from happiness from a
jumbo strawberry cheese cake. Yummy~ <3
Create something out of nothing?...scientists?...Not likely. Law of Conservation of Mass/Matter.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 17:51   Link #3295
hollowification
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to hollowification
movie info

My nephew was asking me about a movie about two old married couple living with there or visiting there grandchildren who are teenager's. But they get second chance when they get turn into teenager them self by some kinda magic or potion or something and they go to school & to the prom.


can anyone please tell me the name of this movie please?
__________________
Those who can't see the mirror of the own reflection cannot Reflect the one true self
hollowification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 17:56   Link #3296
Dilla
'Sup Ballers
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Age: 25
There's probably multiple movies with that scenario. What country is it from?

Edit: The only one I've seen personally is Seventeen Again.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-11-11 at 18:07.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 18:14   Link #3297
hollowification
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to hollowification
well its American movie of course
__________________
Those who can't see the mirror of the own reflection cannot Reflect the one true self
hollowification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 18:18   Link #3298
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
There are a lot of American movies with that premise. First one that comes to my mind is "Seventeen Again", but that's the most recent version and not the one I'm thinking of. Do you know how acted in it, or who directed it and produced it?
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 18:27   Link #3299
hollowification
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to hollowification
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
There are a lot of American movies with that premise. First one that comes to my mind is "Seventeen Again", but that's the most recent version and not the one I'm thinking of. Do you know how acted in it, or who directed it and produced it?
No i dont but all i remember was american family all it was two old people who get turn into teenager but they try it fit in the school and the grandchildren try to keep them in line

all i remember was they listen to music and the grandchildren say Grandparents turn down the music.

But they get arrested
__________________
Those who can't see the mirror of the own reflection cannot Reflect the one true self
hollowification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 18:29   Link #3300
Dilla
'Sup Ballers
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Age: 25
Yep, sounds like Seventeen Again with the Mowry sibling. That's the 2000 version, not the newer one.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.