AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-07, 09:25   Link #241
katiemirmo
Chrome.o23
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to katiemirmo Send a message via Skype™ to katiemirmo
l33t speech in my country is only allowed via text messages, but when it comes to formal messages like essays, there is no way you can write down l33t because it will be a total pull down.
katiemirmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 09:56   Link #242
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
It's only a rumor I heard, I don't know if it's true or not so I could be wrong.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 13:51   Link #243
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemirmo View Post
well then I take it back!
I know that the Americans mostly are too lazy enough to type little words i.e. to-2.
They somehow abuse their own language (I mean no offense to the Americans..)
No. Some of the most profoundly inept speakers and writers of American English are Americans. I blame a combination of laziness, disrespect for others, and the failure of their community to trout-slap them enough
Old 2009-11-07, 15:15   Link #244
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

I've never understood l33t speakers. I mean, l33t looks much harder to type out than basic english!

'bUt I rLy h4tE sUmTh!n' LyK tHiZ... '

^Why. . .? I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 15:18   Link #245
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No. Some of the most profoundly inept speakers and writers of American English are Americans. I blame a combination of laziness, disrespect for others, and the failure of their community to trout-slap them enough
To be fair, this is a common phenomenon to all native language speakers everywhere. Sloppiness comes more naturally the more comfortable you feel about the colloquials of a language. New learners don't have the luxury of shorthand thinking; they have to figure out their way across the grammatical landscape the hard way...

Now, understanding doesn't mean sympathy. It's auto-skip mode if it takes too much effort to get what someone's saying in these forums.

It's a bit more disturbing, for me personally at least, to see beginning English users using 1337 5p8k. I'm like, dude, you don't even get English, why the hell are you already skipping ahead to the shitty shorthand stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla
I've never understood l33t speakers. I mean, l33t looks much harder to type out than basic english!
Youth.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 18:41   Link #246
katiemirmo
Chrome.o23
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to katiemirmo Send a message via Skype™ to katiemirmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post

'bUt I rLy h4tE sUmTh!n' LyK tHiZ... '

^Why. . .? I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.
Some people type like that for design and fancy, but it somehow bother me also..
katiemirmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 18:55   Link #247
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It does annoy the heck out of me when people try to serve as the forum's spelling and grammar check. It's useless and adds pretty much nothing to whatever the discussion is. Unless the discussion is actually about grammar.

It probably is the worst in an argument when one side doesn't have an argument and decides to attack the other side's typing ability. Usually, they also make many mistakes of their own. Bonus points are awarded if the mistake is in their attempted correction. "You spelled moron wrong you moran!"

Though I do probably like it better when people use punctuation and capitalization. It makes it easier to read. It's not like we're writing papers here, but in general the more effort you put in your own posts, the more effort people will put in reading them. And likewise, if you're not gonna put effort into posting, then don't be surprised if people ignore or misinterpret your posts

At the same time, if people are spending that much time nitpicking at other's posts, then I don't feel obliged to cater to them.

Edit: I have intentionaly put speling errors in the post. Have fun!
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-11-07 at 19:11.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 21:39   Link #248
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

I've pretty much got perfect grammer and SH17 if I try. I do however find typing like a retard to be hard to read so I rag on ppl for it. Example of hated kind: "lol yess, aha yee man, i felt better tday coz mah bess freind had sum gud luk ystrday afteh a long time"
Straight from an msn convo. That pisses me off fortunately it has risen my tolerance for spelling on forums.
Old 2009-11-07, 23:13   Link #249
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Terrible grammar and spelling hurts my head... I tend to ignore posts that requires me to decipher what is being said.
Old 2009-11-08, 08:08   Link #250
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It probably is the worst in an argument when one side doesn't have an argument and decides to attack the other side's typing ability. Usually, they also make many mistakes of their own. Bonus points are awarded if the mistake is in their attempted correction. "You spelled moron wrong you moran!"
Mistakes on attempted corrections are hilarious. There's an especially high concentration of these kind of comments on YouTube. The best I've seen so far was: "You're grammer sucks". And it probably wasn't a troll post, seeing as they had argued about some issue for 20 posts before descending into 'grammer' wars.

I really don't mind people messing up here and there with spelling and grammar as long as you can easily understand what they are saying. The only thing I dislike is the omission of punctuation. I get alot of these kind of messages on YouTube as PMs. And from what I've noticed, these are usually from people living in the UK and USA. You occasionally get 4 sentences mashed into one, making it rather difficult to read.

"hey i saw ur vid and its gud how can i dl the mod it has no opition on the site says i cant download help pls how long did it take to make th video keep it up"

I can understand it, but my willingness to help the person decreases.
Old 2009-11-08, 13:09   Link #251
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
Mistakes on attempted corrections are hilarious. There's an especially high concentration of these kind of comments on YouTube. The best I've seen so far was: "You're grammer sucks". And it probably wasn't a troll post, seeing as they had argued about some issue for 20 posts before descending into 'grammer' wars.
Oh dear. Please limit your exposure to Youtube comments to about 3 times a day. Overexposure may result in permanent injury.

Quote:
You occasionally get 4 sentences mashed into one, making it rather difficult to read.

"hey i saw ur vid and its gud how can i dl the mod it has no opition on the site says i cant download help pls how long did it take to make th video keep it up"

I can understand it, but my willingness to help the person decreases.
Indeed, if you're asking people for help, it definitely needs to look better if you want people to put effort into helping you. Another case is when the post is very long; I hate text wall assaults; people need to have spacing!
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 13:22   Link #252
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Improve your language, improve your thougths. Improve your thoughts, improve your language.

Good grammar, punctuation and spelling, is not about being snooty. It is about improving the clarity of ones thought when moving it from the mind to the mouth, paper or digital media.

The colour of a persons thoughts become more vivid when they are properly mixed, purified and filtered.

Damn I hang out with too many buddhists !!!
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 17:11   Link #253
AisuruMirai
箱者

I fall heavily on the side of extreme prejudice when it comes to errors in punctuation, grammar, or spelling. This is tempered somewhat by my knowing that a lot of the people here are not native English speakers, but silently, in my own head, I am insulting people who add extra commas, use apostrophes to pluralize, use the wrong word, use a homophone of the correct word, etc. But I hold my tongue. Typos I don't mind. This thread itself being about such things, I am tempted mightily to actually point out those mistakes, but I will refrain.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 19:33   Link #254
mit7059

I'm not perfect but I try to be clear and use some semblance of grammar. I also attempt punctuation but I still tend to run on a bit and confuse the appropriate situations for commas versus semi-colons. Generally as my posts get longer so do my sentences. But I really really really hate people who make no attempt, who use 'u' or 'ur' instead of 'you' and 'your' with no punctuation, random caps or no caps at all etc. and I refuse to take any person why types like that seriously.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 19:34   Link #255
Bad Romance
Dancing in the dark/

OMGZ Like totally!!1
Bad Romance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 05:08   Link #256
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
No, I hate the way some people type and just can't get over it.

Like was said before, I also don't wish to try to decipher what was said in order to understand and reply properly. Or even if it's a sentence like above that is definitely understandable, in 9/10 cases where I would have helped the person in question, I'll probably just ignore him..

What I hate even more is people who's native language is english. I've come across few people who lived in UK and they typed in way that was typed as example above, and I can't express how much that annoyed me ... And still does.
Old 2009-11-10, 11:56   Link #257
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It's not only Americans that do this. The use of Castillian Spanish (Spanish from Spain, not Mexico or the other Latino countries) is technically grammatically incorrect. They use indirect object pronouns for all situations, even if grammatically they should be using direct object pronouns. It's similar to how english speakers use "them" instead of "he" or "she" to remain neutral even if the object to which they refer is singular.

L0lz, 1337 sp34K pwnZ j00~!!11!shift+one!!