AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 83 51.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 22.84%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 14.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 6.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.62%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.62%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-11-06, 17:55   Link #121
Jetbent
Cross Game convert
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Age: 24
I love this show

This is quite honestly my favorite anime... quite unexpectedly. Though rather than making Horo's anatomy somewhat confusing, they should have just covered stuff up. I really enjoyed the Seinen feel to it. After watching it I definitely felt like a furry for the first time in my life hehe.
Jetbent is offline  
Old 2009-11-07, 08:44   Link #122
darry
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Just annoying to wait for Season 3 now :/
darry is offline  
Old 2009-11-09, 21:33   Link #123
Jetbent
Cross Game convert
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Age: 24
very very true. I hate waiting. but there's definitely going to be a season 3 right?
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jetbent is offline  
Old 2009-11-09, 21:35   Link #124
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbent View Post
very very true. I hate waiting. but there's definitely going to be a season 3 right?
Well I think it is safe to assume there will be, but there has been no official confirmation as of yet.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline  
Old 2009-11-12, 03:28   Link #125
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She didn't say more either because it's the Japanese way, or because she was hoping Lawrence would understand from that little - which he did. They both felt less alone.

And she's hoping against hope. She knows that despite how much money he had, her husband ended up just wanting more. Never really happy. She's hoping she won't be like him. Why? No reason. She's hoping against hope. It probably says something deep and touching about the human condition and progress, but whatever.
meh.. thats still a very weak and nonsensical excuse to me. Kinda killed the whole mood of the last epp for me and ruined her character honestly.

and to the guy above asking about season 3.. i hope so but i guess the dvd sales havent been so hot, so who knows
__________________
"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."-Isaac Asimov
my anime list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kenshindono
kenshin-dono is offline  
Old 2009-11-12, 11:51   Link #126
Topspin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
meh.. thats still a very weak and nonsensical excuse to me. Kinda killed the whole mood of the last epp for me and ruined her character honestly.
Well, I'll read into this one for fun, since others on the forum are so fond of reading into this series

Abe clearly isn't the type to say what she means directly. I got the impression that she "is hoping" Lawrence will chase her, and that she's being deliberately ambiguous as to why. You can read her statement in a multitude of ways, and I think that's partly why Lawrence laughed at it. Also, Abe clearly could have killed Lawrence several times in the episode, but didn't want to.

Abe may have just been playing the situation masterfully. By leaving him *only* with the deed to Harold's inn, she was effectively forcing Lawrence to buy back Horo. By also stealing his money (when she didn't really need it), she was probably just hoping Horo would initiate a chase (since she's vengeful, prideful, and clearly wearing the pants in the relationship).
Topspin is offline  
Old 2009-11-17, 02:02   Link #127
Jetbent
Cross Game convert
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Age: 24
Gah... I will the dvd sales to pick up with the force.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jetbent is offline  
Old 2009-11-17, 07:31   Link #128
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
I think it's also been getting on the BluRay sales list and that's a good sign.
wandering-dreamer is offline  
Old 2009-12-25, 18:14   Link #129
omegasaries
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portugal
In my way of thinking if there is not a season 3, the anime world should do a strike. Spice and Wolf is probably one of the best animes/ manga, ever. Great story, great characters, you just have to love horo and her relation with lawrence. Not only that the entire philosophical view of things, lessons, scenary and above all music fit perfectly.
Come season 3, we are waiting.
merry christmas guys
omegasaries is offline  
Old 2010-02-03, 15:31   Link #130
Doove
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I have a question. When Lawrence wakes up after being knocked out, he recalls Eve saying "Colker Coos". Who or what is that? I don't even remember when she said it...
Doove is offline  
Old 2010-02-03, 18:08   Link #131
BashZeStampeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
I believe Harold or Abe mentioned him in an earlier episode. He was a guy from the north, who might be able to help them travel there (either had a horse more suitable for colder climates, or he knew the area, or something like that). He was apparently also either living in the inn, or a friend of theirs who was watching over it for them when they left. Lawrence seems to be guessing that this must be Colker Coos.
BashZeStampeedo is offline  
Old 2010-02-07, 19:01   Link #132
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Age: 26
Sorry to partially res this thread, but reading through it I was amazed at how much confusion there is over Holo/Horo's attitude at the end. I realise I'm new so my thought train may not be taken too seriously, in fact I'm not a major Anime person, but Spice and Wolf completely won me over. Sucker for a love story I guess!
I think various people in this thread have got pretty closed to it, especially those who've watched the OVA from the start of Spice and Wolf II as its perhaps a little more direct than much of the rest of the series in how she feels.
Basically, it is implied a lot through the two seasons that Horo is incredibly lonely, she originally set out on her journey to return home as she felt that there was nothing left for her in the human world; no one knew her beyond fear/respect or legend, and I think it is heavily implied that she was very fond of the original person who requested she protect the village, whilst she was on a journey, perhaps of discovery.
She has lost multiple partners who had become dear to her over the centuries, and the fact that even the village she had protected for so long, no longer cared for her I believe was a further knife to her hurt, and possibly not the first betrayal she had felt.

She originally set out with Lawrence because it would be an opportunity to return to her homeland and her kind (that I think is actually important here), as she had come to believe there was nothing left but pain and misery for her amongst humans.

The OVA specifically mentioned that he had effectively kissed her in 'wolf' by touching her nose, something that both embarassed her, but also something he was completely oblivious too, remember that on top of her slight edge of social awkwardness due to lack of interaction beyond just watching, she also has a high level of pride. She then went on to dream of touching noses and hugging him again demonstrating her desires quite openly.

In the earlier light that she effectively left to return to her kind, I think the wolf and lawrence scene shown both in the OVA and at the beginning of Season II again began to show just how she was beginning to feel towards Lawrence.
To be able to find her people again; the reason she began the trip, and yet to take Lawrence over to them...only to be reminded that she would still be young, and the same Horo, when he was but bones is an incredibly painful reminder to her. Furthermore her accepting the love might be an act which would possibly cut her off from her own people as well, and she would be left with nothing, which would be unbearable to her. To have to return to loneliness after what she described as some of her happiest times in memory would seem to be one of her worst nightmares, finding herself truly and completely alone.

In trying to split up with him, she is perhaps trying to break the bonds she has with him less painfully than having to watch him age, and die before her eyes, and also ensure that he is at least happy and has fulfilled his dream, not realising that that dream has slowly turned from opening his own shop, to being with her. (and is a reflection of her own fear, rather than her feelings towards him, despite her assertions otherwise, as it has been made painfully obvious at various points that Horo's deepest fear is being truly alone)

By refusing to let he break away so easily, he has not only shown himself in a different light to what she was expecting, and thrown away his dream for her, but also wounded her pride, as she had miscalculated and acted foolishly, trying to throw him away to avoid further pain believing he would just betray her and lead her to further pain as with her previous experiences (perhaps by focusing on his trading rather than her).
Either way, despite her facade, I believe it is fairly obvious she loves Lawrence deeply, but is both too afraid and proud to tell him, the 'I... I'll' bit I take to be her trying to say it then being unable to and switching subject as she has done multiple times in the past, her anger which she had previously showed him was possibly as much towards herself as him.
There may also be further issues in the future should he stay with her, as he does not know everything about her or the legends surrounding her, or possibly in light to the rest of her kind, which is why now that he has made his stand, which she has accepted, she is making him accept responsibility for whatever may happen in the future. Her comment on it being troublesome if she falls in love with him I believe is a half truth, she already KNOWS she is in love with him, but emotionally is incredibly confused, and scared.

Sorry Im very tired, and Im pretty sure I've forgotten some sections of my argument (I had a more well thought out response before writing this, and whilst reading I'm sure), but from watching both seasons in a few days, these are my feelings on the subject; arguably boiling down to she is also in truly in love with him, but is both too prideful,and also full of fear of the future and what may happen, because of past experiences, to just come out and say it.
tyranuus is offline  
Old 2010-02-07, 19:07   Link #133
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Its a variation on this theme: if you knew someone was only going to live five more years while you had an expected lifespan of many more decades - what is the pain worth to you to be with this person? What if everyone you knew was a "mayfly"?

This problem is engaged in works like Heinlein's Lazurus Long series of the Methuselah's Children or the Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora series set in a hospital.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2010-02-07, 19:14   Link #134
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its a variation on this theme: if you knew someone was only going to live five more years while you had an expected lifespan of many more decades - what is the pain worth to you to be with this person? What if everyone you knew was a "mayfly"?

This problem is engaged in works like Heinlein's Lazurus Long series of the Methuselah's Children or the Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora series set in a hospital.
Definately, and I think that is Horo's true pain throughout the series. She loves Lawrence, but is utterly torn on how she can deal with the eventual pain of his loss, and if her own people would reject her for mating with a human, which would mean she would have nowhere to go. She is trying to apply pride, previous experiences and logic to love, despite Lawrence clearly being a bit different...and failing rather badly.

By making him accept responsibililty for the future at the end, she is trying to get him to make the decision for her, and to make her own choices that little bit easier or even postpone them.
Despite her assertions otherwise, this fear of loneliness and loss, her rather vulnerable side which she tries to hide, are rather core to her behaviour.

Also regards the whole responsibility and 'how well do you really know me' side, there may well be dark secrets in her past she is terrified of eventually being revealed to Lawrence, again in fear he would desert or betray her because of them. Remember the whole refusing to acknowlege whether she had ever hunted humans before part in the first season, for example.


Either way despite its shortcomings, I have truly fallen in love with Spice and Wolf, I think it may well be my favourite anime, and I will happily buy the discs when they arrive here [I'm in the UK] to show my support for the series; I do hope they make a Season 3 as it cries out for one.
tyranuus is offline  
Old 2010-02-08, 00:22   Link #135
BashZeStampeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
I think pride might be the reason, but NOT directly. She's practically given up her pride when she's around Lawrence (and that might be an issue). Heck, look at how shameless she's being around him "lately". Even at the end of the second season, it was clear that her little "pride" excuse was just to end their conversation and that it wasn't being taken seriously by either her or Lawrence. If anything, pride is being used as yet another excuse to stay away from Yoitsu (which was the same theme in volume 4).

She's been acting more and more like she dreads getting to Yoitsu. But why? Because they'd part ways? Not bloody likely. Because there's nothing there anymore? Doubtful, they're really looking for her wolf friends now, not Yoitsu... it's become a symbolic stepping-stone more than anything else. It seems likely that it's for a more sinister reason, given her dream sequence in the OVA.. it's got nothing to do with Lawrence, or her fear that Yoitsu is destroyed.

My favorite pet theory is that she committed some form of taboo while in Pasroe, probably consummating her love with a human or some-such (seems a reasonable-enough thing for a deity to do on a journey of self-enlightenment). Then after mourning that person's loss for a couple hundred years, she finally worked up the courage to face the music at Yoitsu for her actions. Of course, of all the peddler's wagons in the world, she had to stumble onto Lawrence's. Now how could she ask for forgiveness in the state she's in?

Now she knows her companions aren't even in Yoitsu anymore, but might be looking for her. It would explain her recent concern over how she appears in public with Lawrence, not to mention her near mental-breakdown in the last few episodes. Anyway, enough reading into this
BashZeStampeedo is offline  
Old 2010-02-08, 02:54   Link #136
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Age: 26
Not a bad little theory, I have a few myself, as you are right, I dont think pride is the only issue (although it still presents its own issues to her admitting she may be wrong), her past definately comes into it, there is something she is obviously afraid of, whether it is directly related to Lawrence or a dark past of some kind, I dont know, in fact I almost feel a sense she is incredibly afraid of betrayal, something that has already happened to her at least once that we know of.

I still 100% believe she already loves Lawrence despite any recent conflict/confusion, however there is obviously some major emotional baggage causing her to struggle with it, and I do distinctly believe the 'I...' part of the conversation was her honestly struggling with herself and wanting to say it but not quite managing. (She had already admitted asking Deanna to tell Lawrence a fake story so they would continue travelling together even if Yoitsu was gone)

I think she realised just how hard it was for Lawrence to both admit his feelings and to give up his old dream, given his own personality, which may also have given her some personal reflection and re-evaluation to do, especially as she is well aware of his relative lifespan, and just how few chances he may get to personally fulfil that dream. To fully throw it away for the chance to travel with her reflects just how much of a personal investment he is willing to make, and has decided to make, which is partially why she accepted they continue together as long as he is willing to accept responsibility for what may happen or be discovered later on. He has basically accepted the principle tenet and implication that wolves mate for life and demonstrated there is nothing more central to his character anymore, and his previous desires now all come second, his dream is no longer his shop but her and he has the conviction to follow said dream.
In line with this line of thought notice how she accepts and comments that he must attempt to recover what he has lost because it would not be acceptable for the partner of the wise wolf to run away with his tale between his legs? Im pretty sure the whole partner implication is no longer that of a business partner.
You almost have to feel sorry for what might happen to Boland if Horo DOES catch her, we already know from season one she has a slight temper in wolf form, and her human emotions are very raw.


For all her fear, confusion and bluster, the holding hands with fingers intertwined rather than loosely is definately a more obvious sign of more than affection though, on both thier behalfs. Horo is a very complex character.

I really hope they do a 3rd season if not more, or at least translate all the novels, I would very much like to see what happens, as there is a lot unresolved.

PS one of my other theories is the possibilities of whatever happens to mortal who enters into a relationship with a deity/spirit? Is it possible that they too may become something more than human if certain conditions are met however if not such a process may kill them? This would again tie with her fears as it may have killed the last human she loved, and she is convinced it might kill Lawrence? Not only would she be alone but it would be her own doing.

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-02-08 at 03:42.
tyranuus is offline  
Old 2010-02-08, 12:12   Link #137
BashZeStampeedo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
I almost feel a sense she is incredibly afraid of betrayal
Clearly. Even Lawrence has noticed this.. it comes across very clearly in the novels, and it's both why he had a tough time telling her about Yoitsu, and why he basically had a panic attack when she confronted him about withholding that info. However, the fact is that they both openly trust each other now. I don't think Horo's worried about him wanting to betray her so much as him not understanding what constitutes betrayal. In fact, she seems to have WANTED Lawrence to disappoint her. That might be why she gives him so much rope to hang himself with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
She had already admitted asking Deanna to tell Lawrence a fake story so they would continue travelling together even if Yoitsu was gone
That part made me laugh, because it showed that neither of them understood or trusted each other, and yet she made him take all the blame for it It was during that arc that it becomes obvious that Horo's not really as wise as she pretends to be, at least when it comes to guys and/or human relationships in general (and why I tend to think she hasn't had many partners).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
I think she realised just how hard it was for Lawrence to both admit his feelings and to give up his old dream
I think she was kind of banking on them both not being able to face their "demons" and come to terms with having a relationship. Her near-total breakdown when he spelled out his intentions to her in the last episode looked more like her feeling "trapped" by his admission then her being "happy" by it, at least until he said he'd wait for her as long as it took.

At that point it looked like she had to bite her tongue to stop herself from admitting she was in love with him as well (though I don't know what that accomplished, since Lawrence clearly already knows she loves him or he wouldn't risk everything to be with her in the first place).

Her little lecture to him that she doesn't having a "useless" partner is unacceptable seemed more to me like her trying to end the conversation, using her apparent pride as a pretense. Even Lawrence seemed to react as though that was the case, otherwise why would he give he responded so devilishly as to give her a sarcastic kiss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
You almost have to feel sorry for what might happen to Boland if Horo DOES catch her
I actually kinda feel sorry for Lawrence here. Horo's dragging him into something that he doesn't want to be dragged into, and he has to go along with it because he's just pledged himself to Horo's side no matter the cost. True, he has his own pride, and is probably happy that she's willing to help him get his money (and revenge), but she knows he's through with dangerous get-rich-quick schemes.

Besides, Boland's pretty damn sharp.. I think she *wanted* to be chased. Her actions seem just too coincidental otherwise. I get the suspicion that she hurt Lawrence and stole his money to ensure that even if HE chickened out, Horo would force the issue. Maybe I should be feeling sorry for Horo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
holding hands with fingers intertwined
That action was probably two-sided, as usual. He's injured and not exactly keen on chasing Boland. This way he has no choice, since he's too weak to stop her and won't be able to wrest his hand free as she drags him right back outside into the snow. It does serve as a clever way to show her affection without admitting it (she has an excuse as usual, if she needs it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Is it possible that they too may become something more than human if certain conditions are met however if not such a process may kill them?
Maybe, but she wouldn't exactly have to hide that from Lawrence (unless she doesn't trust him at all, and is somehow still afraid that would be a deal-breaker). Plus, it doesn't seem like she's been worried about something as basic as sex or intimacy, since she's given him quite a few chance to "risk his life" if it was something like that.

It could be that SHE would be affected in some harsh way, but she's already asked him to "make puppies with her" (though she wasn't in her right mind when she suggested it). So it's too up-in-the-air at this point to do more than conjecture for fun
BashZeStampeedo is offline  
Old 2010-02-09, 12:54   Link #138
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Age: 26
Quote:
Clearly. Even Lawrence has noticed this.. it comes across very clearly in the novels, and it's both why he had a tough time telling her about Yoitsu, and why he basically had a panic attack when she confronted him about withholding that info. However, the fact is that they both openly trust each other now. I don't think Horo's worried about him wanting to betray her so much as him not understanding what constitutes betrayal. In fact, she seems to have WANTED Lawrence to disappoint her. That might be why she gives him so much rope to hang himself with.

That part made me laugh, because it showed that neither of them understood or trusted each other, and yet she made him take all the blame for it It was during that arc that it becomes obvious that Horo's not really as wise as she pretends to be, at least when it comes to guys and/or human relationships in general (and why I tend to think she hasn't had many partners).
Ah, you see I dont have access to the novels, I cant read Japanese or I'd probably have read them all to try and get some closure; this is the first anime I think I've ever got so attached to, as truth be told Im not exactly a major anime fan, I just dabble now and then, but this series, whilst sometimes being quite slow (especially early episodes of season one), has some very deep characters.
I think perhaps thats my worst fear over the series - it'll stop getting translated or they wont make any more anime and I wont get any closure, so I'll find some characters I really like, and then never find out what happens to them.

I do think though that there was an element of feeling like he was going to lose her, as much as what you say though. Even though he hadn't come to grips with his priorities at this point, he clearly thought of Horo as more than his travelling companion, and the thought of losing that scared him. He didnt want to tell her because he was terrified she would just leave, even though he should know otherwise, and her attitude and sudden personality change just reinforced that.

I agree though, I do feel like towards the end of season 2 they do have a healthy level of trust for each other. The whole Amarty arc really hammered that in, and after the second arc Lawrence finally knows what he really wants. Even Horo knows what she wants even if she won't or cant admit it yet (the bit where she says it'd be troublesome if she was to fall for him actually has a slight blush shown in the animation that fades very quickly).

On your second point, Id pretty much made that conclusion as well, I think it comes across as she was hurt very badly previously, possibly tied into the feeling of betrayal (which again I dont have the books so could only pick up from bits and pieces). The whole trying to make the other half take the blame actually reminded me of an ex, so I did laugh a little at that, whilst trying not to feel bad for Lawrence.

That even though they didnt both fully understand or openly trust each other, Horo still tried to get Deanna to trick Lawrence into continue travelling with her is still a fairly strong omen though. Even though she hadn't mastered her own feelings, she DID know stronly she didnt want it to end.

Quote:
I think she was kind of banking on them both not being able to face their "demons" and come to terms with having a relationship. Her near-total breakdown when he spelled out his intentions to her in the last episode looked more like her feeling "trapped" by his admission then her being "happy" by it, at least until he said he'd wait for her as long as it took.
Yeah again Id agree, I pretty much said the same thing earlier. I dont necessarily think she felt trapped though, given all her talk of her own foolishness, but I think she pretty much forced him to make the decision of what was happening, because of how torn she was. She was aware how silly trying to force him away really was, because she could tell how much he cared, and how much she really wanted to be cared for, but she couldnt help herself because of how scared she was.
I think there was also an element of it not so much causing her to break down, shocking her by how much he was willing to break her perception of what he would/was going to do.
I think there WAS an element of ending the conversation with her little partner comment, but I also think there was a little more to it.
Regarding the kiss...Lawrence has been wanting to do that for quite a while me thinks, judging by the 'dream scenes' we saw a few times, I think he did it to press the point of how he really felt, and also perhaps to one up Horo in the conversation. I didnt take it as so much a sarcastic kiss, but almost a release, it was him...falteringly, stepping up to the plate. Given his nerves, and his recent experiences I dont blame him, poor guy!
Of course different subs may given different impressions on this

Quote:
I actually kinda feel sorry for Lawrence here. Horo's dragging him into something that he doesn't want to be dragged into, and he has to go along with it because he's just pledged himself to Horo's side no matter the cost. True, he has his own pride, and is probably happy that she's willing to help him get his money (and revenge), but she knows he's through with dangerous get-rich-quick schemes.

Besides, Boland's pretty damn sharp.. I think she *wanted* to be chased. Her actions seem just too coincidental otherwise. I get the suspicion that she hurt Lawrence and stole his money to ensure that even if HE chickened out, Horo would force the issue. Maybe I should be feeling sorry for Horo.
Boland might WANT to be chased, possibly to try and feel alive, which seemed to be a theme behind her character, to break out of the chain, BUT she's banking on a human persuit. Horo is going to go wolf, and as she already commented in series 1, she had a tendency to see red if angered. I still definately feel sorry for Boland, because even IF she is prepared for the persuit, she's not prepared for the true Horo, and as much as Lawrence, Horo will hold a grudge, if Horo gets hold of her in wolf form, I dont think it'll end pleasantly for Boland, unless she manages to escape by hurting Lawrence so Horo is forced to look after him rather than persuing her, under which circumstances Horo may let her go because by the time Lawrence is well enough to travel she's long gone.

Quote:
That action was probably two-sided, as usual. He's injured and not exactly keen on chasing Boland. This way he has no choice, since he's too weak to stop her and won't be able to wrest his hand free as she drags him right back outside into the snow. It does serve as a clever way to show her affection without admitting it (she has an excuse as usual, if she needs it).
If you noticed, when they go to clasp hands, its her hand which clasps his fingers first. Quite subtle, but I believe there's some implication there, definately more than just control, she WANTED to hold his hand, she wants to be with him. (A similar scene in some ways was shown in the series 1 OVA.)

Quote:
Maybe, but she wouldn't exactly have to hide that from Lawrence (unless she doesn't trust him at all, and is somehow still afraid that would be a deal-breaker). Plus, it doesn't seem like she's been worried about something as basic as sex or intimacy, since she's given him quite a few chance to "risk his life" if it was something like that.

It could be that SHE would be affected in some harsh way, but she's already asked him to "make puppies with her" (though she wasn't in her right mind when she suggested it). So it's too up-in-the-air at this point to do more than conjecture for fun
That side of things there are so many theories, and to be honest I dont think anything she said during her panic/breakdown could be taken seriously, that wasnt Horo speaking, that was her fears, something she later apologised, admitting the I'm sorry was her coming back to her right state of mind, rather than dumping him, obviously by this point his emotions have FINALLY kicked right in (because bar the blushes etc, hes pretty restrained most of the time) and he's definately not thinking straight, something I wholely empathise with, I mean though it took him most of the season to realise what he really wanted to do, I think it was pretty apparent he loved her all along, but just hadn't quite come to grips with it.


Sorry if this is slightly badly written *I* knew what I meant, but trying to remember everything and respond at the right points...thats another story
tyranuus is offline  
Old 2010-02-10, 02:10   Link #139
Attoney
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
I came back after a month, and see there was a lot of new discussion about this episode.

In my opinion, i think you guys are overthinking this, but I could be wrong. I don't think Horo would hide something from Lawrence that might endanger his or her life. I think she is scared that she will eventually lose him. As their bond deepens, so does the pain when they finally part, and this pain is what Horo is terrified of because she does not know how to handle it.

Her past will definately play a part in influencing her actions and her way of thinking because she has most likely felt loss numerous times on her journey. When she first departed from her pack to begin her journey to the south, she has never experienced lost of a friend or a love one before. While on her journey she probably befriended humans, or maybe even loved a human, but this is all speculation. As time goes by, her human friends ages and pass away, leaving her with a grief and sadness. Seeing all your friends dying due to old age, while you remain healthy and young is a huge burdern for anyone to carry. In her lifetime, her happiness with her friends is only a short span of time. She is happy at one point in her life, then she is sadden by the lost of friends, and then happy again by making new friends, and sadden again by lost, and the cycle continues. This is why Horo says that the human lifespan is but a blink of an eye to her, and it also implies that the happy monments in her life also only lasted a blink of an eye. Growing tired of the endless cycle of happiness and grief, is probably the reason why she decided to isolate herself by staying in the wheat fields of Parsoe. It is highy unlike that over hundreds of years, that no one was carrying wheat on the back of cart like Lawrence did, which could allow her to escape. After isolating herself for so long, she began to feel lonely, and decided the go back north where she probably would not feel loss or grief. But out of all the people she can meet, she met a softy, Lawrence, who she clearly fell in love with as shown in the novels and anime. And at that moment she is back to where she started in the endless cycle of happiness and saddness. Being able to live for thousands years creates a huge burden that one must carry, and not many people is able to cope with that burden.
Attoney is offline  
Old 2010-02-10, 05:13   Link #140
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Age: 26
Very similar to my thoughts on it there really, there MIGHT be more to it which is what the last couple of posts are sort of discussion but my first post and response to vexx were kinda like a longer version of what you've said. We've seen quite clearly fear of loneliness and loss are major things to her that she doesnt really know how to deal with, but shes also quite clearly in love anyway.
As I cant read Japanese I can only speculate until a 3rd series or the complete translated series arrives anyway, hence the rest of the discussion, as it can be easy to overthink or begin to speculate when you dont have an answer, and if theres no 3rd season at Yen Press' current rate I need to wait 5 years to read the end of the series haha
Really annoying as I hate getting into something but then not getting any resolution!
tyranuus is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.